Type of entity
Authorized form of name
Saskatchewan. Judicial District of Scott
Parallel form(s) of name
Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules
Other form(s) of name
- Judicial District of Scott
- Scott Judicial District
Identifiers for corporate bodies
Dates of existence
Judicial districts were geographical areas in Saskatchewan over which the courts held legal jurisdiction. Judicial boundaries pre-determined the centre where cases had to be heard. Criminal matters were usually heard in the judicial district where the crime occurred while civil matters were heard where the plaintiff or defendant resided or where the property in dispute was located.
In 1913, the boundaries of the judicial districts of Battleford and Saskatoon were altered, resulting in the establishment of the Judicial District of Scott. The Judicial District of Scott was located in the west-central part of the province. The centre of the district was located in the town of Scott.
Towns and villages in the judicial district at some point during its existence were Adanac; Biggar; Cando; Denzil; Landis; Macklin; Perdue; Primate; Salvador; Scott; Senlac; Unity; Vance and Wilkie.
Courts holding jurisdiction in the judicial district included the Supreme Court; the Court of King's Bench; the District Court; and the Surrogate Court. Both criminal and civil cases were heard in the judicial district. Criminal offences included arson; robbery; theft; murder; manslaughter; treason; kidnapping; assault; sexual assault; blackmail; extortion and perjury. Civil matters included divorce; contract disputes; foreclosures; the administration of estates of the deceased and probate of wills; small claims (debt) matters and property disputes.
A resident judge presided at the various court sittings. Court officials included a local registrar for the Court of King's Bench; a Clerk and Deputy Clerk of the District Court; a Clerk and Deputy Clerk of the Surrogate Court; a sheriff and deputy sheriff; court reporters and process issuers (servers). Local registrars processed court documents; received documents for filing; kept accounting records and acted as clerks of the court at all courtroom and chamber sessions. Sheriffs executed court orders; served legal documents and enforced statute orders.
On May 1, 1922, the Judicial District of Scott became the Judicial District of Wilkie.
Functions, occupations and activities
The Judicial District of Scott was a geographical area in west-central Saskatchewan over which the legal courts held jurisdiction. The function of these courts was to hear and try criminal and civil cases. The judicial centre of the district was located in the town of Scott. Officials of the judicial district provided administrative services relating to the operation of the courts.
Mandates/sources of authority
The District Courts Act (S.S. 1907, c.9)
Identifier of the related entity
Category of the relationship
Dates of the relationship
Description of relationship
Access points area
Subject access points
Place access points
Authority record identifier
Rules and/or conventions used
Rules for Archival Description (RAD)
Level of detail
Dates of creation, revision and deletion
Authority record created on 2009-06-11. Approved 2012-03-06. Last modified on 2017-11-29.
AMICUS Authorities - no entry found.
Various Internet sites
SAB Judicial District maps
SAB Court Records Information binder