Saskatchewan. Judicial District of Scott

Identity area

Type of entity

Primary Agency

Authorized form of name

Saskatchewan. Judicial District of Scott

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

  • Judicial District of Scott
  • Scott Judicial District

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

1913-1922

History

Judicial districts were geographical areas in Saskatchewan over which the courts held legal jurisdiction. Judicial boundaries pre-determined the centre where cases had to be heard. Criminal matters were usually heard in the judicial district where the crime occurred while civil matters were heard where the plaintiff or defendant resided or where the property in dispute was located.

In 1913, the boundaries of the judicial districts of Battleford and Saskatoon were altered, resulting in the establishment of the Judicial District of Scott. The Judicial District of Scott was located in the west-central part of the province. The centre of the district was located in the town of Scott.

Towns and villages in the judicial district at some point during its existence were Adanac; Biggar; Cando; Denzil; Landis; Macklin; Perdue; Primate; Salvador; Scott; Senlac; Unity; Vance and Wilkie.

Courts holding jurisdiction in the judicial district included the Supreme Court; the Court of King's Bench; the District Court; and the Surrogate Court. Both criminal and civil cases were heard in the judicial district. Criminal offences included arson; robbery; theft; murder; manslaughter; treason; kidnapping; assault; sexual assault; blackmail; extortion and perjury. Civil matters included divorce; contract disputes; foreclosures; the administration of estates of the deceased and probate of wills; small claims (debt) matters and property disputes.

A resident judge presided at the various court sittings. Court officials included a local registrar for the Court of King's Bench; a Clerk and Deputy Clerk of the District Court; a Clerk and Deputy Clerk of the Surrogate Court; a sheriff and deputy sheriff; court reporters and process issuers (servers). Local registrars processed court documents; received documents for filing; kept accounting records and acted as clerks of the court at all courtroom and chamber sessions. Sheriffs executed court orders; served legal documents and enforced statute orders.

On May 1, 1922, the Judicial District of Scott became the Judicial District of Wilkie.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

The Judicial District of Scott was a geographical area in west-central Saskatchewan over which the legal courts held jurisdiction. The function of these courts was to hear and try criminal and civil cases. The judicial centre of the district was located in the town of Scott. Officials of the judicial district provided administrative services relating to the operation of the courts.

Mandates/sources of authority

The District Courts Act (S.S. 1907, c.9)

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Related entity

Saskatchewan. Judicial District of Wilkie (1922-1958)

Identifier of the related entity

GA 81

Category of the relationship

temporal

Dates of the relationship

Description of relationship

Saskatchewan. Judicial District of Wilkie is the successor of Saskatchewan. Judicial District of Scott

Access points area

Subject access points

Place access points

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

GA 91

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Rules for Archival Description (RAD)

Status

Final

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Authority record created on 2009-06-11. Approved 2012-03-06. Last modified on 2017-11-29.

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

AMICUS Authorities - no entry found.
Orders-in-Council
Various Internet sites
SAB Judicial District maps
SAB Court Records Information binder

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC

Related subjects

Related places