Saskatchewan Cancer Foundation, 1930-

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Saskatchewan Cancer Foundation, 1930-

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

  • Saskatchewan Cancer Commission

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

1930-

History

In 1929, the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Saskatchewan established a cancer committee, which was to survey the treatment of cancer in the province and make proposals for improving it. The committee recommended that radium which was owned by private physicians be purchased by the government for use in centralized clinics under the control of a doctor. The committee also recommended that there be consultative services at each clinic, and that a commission be established to control the clinics. These recommendations were accepted by the government, and The Saskatchewan Cancer Commission Act (Chapter 218) was passed by the 1930 Session of the Legislature and became effective May 1, 1930. The Act authorized the establishment of a cancer control program in Saskatchewan, operated by the Saskatchewan Cancer Commission.

Two consultative diagnostic and treatment clinics were established in 1932, one in Regina, the other in Saskatoon. Initially, patients were required to pay nominal fees to the Commission for diagnostic services and radiotherapy, and were fully responsible for the payment of other medical, surgical and hospital costs related to the treatment of their cancer.

The leadership given at this time by the medical profession in Saskatchewan was responsible for the creation of the Canadian Cancer Society in 1938, and the establishment of a cancer program in the province which was unique in that it was founded on the mutual confidence and cooperation of the government, the medical profession and the laity.

The Cancer Control Act of 1944 was responsible for denoting Saskatchewan as the first area to have comprehensive tax-borne treatment for cancer in the world. It provided that all diagnostic services and treatment, including drugs directed at the control of cancer, would be paid by the province rather than by the patient.

In 1979, the Saskatchewan Cancer Foundation Act was passed, establishing Saskatchewan Cancer Foundation to replace the Cancer Commission. The Foundation maintains two service outlets: the Allan Blair Memorial Clinic in Regina and the Saskatoon Cancer Clinic. The clinics provide diagnosis, radiotherapy, chemotherapy and follow-up services. Registry services are an integral part of each clinic. In accordance with the Cancer Foundation Act, the Saskatchewan Cancer Foundation: collects information on cases of cancer and records data relating to these cases; participates or provides assistance for research projects in conjunction with the diagnosis, prevention and treatment of cancer; and collects information and records data on residents eligible for provincial cancer screening programs.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Access points area

Subject access points

Place access points

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

PA 51

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Rules for Archival Description
Rules for Archival Description (RAD)

Status

Final

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Authority record created on 2008-05-13. Approved 2012-03-06. Last modified on 2017-11-29.

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Old guide GR-628
Saskatchewan Statutes: An Act for the Establishment of a Permanent Cancer Commission (1930); The Cancer Foundation Act (1979.)
Socioeconomic Data and Applications Center's (SEDAC) home page for the Stratospheric Ozone and Human Health Project (sedac.ciesin.org/ozone/regs /saskatchewan.html)
Canadian Cancer Society website (www.cancer.ca)

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC

Related subjects

Related places