Item A0026.14 (S) - Saskatchewan

Title and statement of responsibility area

Title proper

Saskatchewan

General material designation

  • Cartographic material

Parallel title

Description type

Private

Title statements of responsibility

Title notes

Level of description

Item

Reference code

A0026.14 (S)

Edition area

Edition statement

Edition statement of responsibility

Class of material specific details area

Statement of scale (cartographic)

Statement of projection (cartographic)

Statement of coordinates (cartographic)

Statement of scale (architectural)

Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)

Dates of creation area

Date(s)

  • 19-- (Creation)
    Creator
    Saskatchewan. Dept. of Natural Resources and Industrial Development

Physical description area

Physical description

1 map : col.

Publisher's series area

Title proper of publisher's series

Parallel titles of publisher's series

Other title information of publisher's series

Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series

Numbering within publisher's series

Note on publisher's series

Archival description area

Name of creator

(1944-1950)

Biographical history

On November 10, 1944 the Department of Natural Resources was expanded to include an Industrial Development Branch, resulting in the creation of the Department of Natural Resources and Industrial Development.

The department originally consisted of 10 branches, as follows: Forestry, Lands, Mines, Coal Administrator, Fisheries, Game and Fur, Water Rights, Surveys, Parks and Industrial Development.

The Industrial Development Branch was established to promote the general economic utilization of Saskatchewan's natural resources. Provincially-owned and operated industries developed by the Department included: a shoe factory, a tannery, fish filleting plants, a box factory and a fur marketing service.

The Lands Branch at this time was comprised of the Land Patents Division, Cultivated Lands Division, Land Sales Division, and Grazing Lands Division. On May 1, 1945, the Land Utilization Division was established when the function was transferred from the Department of Agriculture.

The following changes occurred in departmental structure between 1947 and 1949:

In the 1946-1947 fiscal year, the Office Administration and Personnel Branch was established within the department. As well, the Construction and Equipment Branch was formed to build roads and fireguards in northern areas. On January 1, 1949 the divisions within this branch became separate branches, the Equipment Branch and the Construction Branch.

Also in 1946-1947, the Parks and Lands Branch was set up to manage provincial parks and lands unsuitable for agricultural or pastoral purposes, including wasteland, forests and lands in the northern mineral belt. In 1948, the administration of agricultural and pastoral lands governed by The Provincial Lands Act and The Land Utilization Act was transferred to the Department of Agriculture.

During the 1947-1948 fiscal year, the Mines Branch reorganized into Mineral Resources Branch with the Coal, Metals, Minerals and Petroleum divisions. These divisions merged in 1950.

Following the creation of Local Improvement District "A" as a vast northern municipal district, the Northern Administration Branch was established in June 1947. While the Department of Health administered health issues, the Branch held responsibility for social aid, old age pensions and child allowances.

A Radio Branch was also formed in 1947.

During 1948-1949 an Office of the Executive Assistant was set up in Prince Albert to provide assistance to the Deputy Minister and Assistant Deputy Minister.

In March 1950, Order-in-Council 503/50 established the Industrial Development Office to promote the development of new industries in Saskatchewan, assist already established industries and publicize the province's resources, opportunities and industrial progress. The old Industrial Development Branch was renamed the Resources Utilization Branch and administered the utilization of industrial minerals.

In 1950, the Department of Natural Resources and Industrial Development reverted to its previous designation as the Department of Natural Resources.

Custodial history

Scope and content

Indicates the natural resources of Saskatchewan.

Notes area

Physical condition

Immediate source of acquisition

Arrangement

Language of material

  • English

Script of material

Location of originals

Availability of other formats

Restrictions on access

These records may be to subject to access restrictions. Please consult reference archivist for assistance.

Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication

Use, publication and/or reproduction of records subject to terms and conditions of the Copyright Act. Please consult reference archivist for assistance.

To consult the records, visit or contact the Saskatoon office.
For purposes of retrieval, records may be requested without the use of the placeholder zeroes (0) included in the reference code.

Finding aids

Associated materials

Related materials

Accruals

General note

Reference code in the records descripton has had placeholder zeroes added to permit more accurate sorting of search results by this value. The reference code borne by the records may not reflect this syntax.

Physical description

Specific cartographic details:
Saskatchewan
Canada
79 x 45

Physical description

Specific image details:
1:1584000

Alternative identifier(s)

Standard number area

Standard number

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Control area

Description record identifier

A0026.14 (S)

Institution identifier

Rules or conventions

Saskatchewan Archives. Archival Description Manual 2004.

Status

Final

Level of detail

Language of description

  • English

Script of description

  • Latin

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related places

Related genres