Title and statement of responsibility area
Rural Municipality of Preeceville No. 334
General material designation
- Cartographic material
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- Saskatchewan. Dept. of Municipal Affairs
Physical description area
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Department of Municipal Affairs was established on November 1, 1908. It assumed the functions previously performed by the Local Improvement Branch of the Department of Public Works. The new department administered Saskatchewan cities, towns, villages, rural municipalities, local improvement districts and the collection of taxes in rural school districts.
During the period from 1908 to 1959, the department oversaw a number of functions relevant to homesteaders.
In 1908/1909, The City Act, The Town Act, The Village Act, and The Rural Municipality Act were enacted.
In 1914, The Local Government Board was created to supervise and authorize the borrowing by debenture of all municipalities.
The Town Planning and Rural Development Branch was established in 1919, then renamed as Municipal Technical Services and Town Planning Branch in 1938, with expanded duties. It was renamed again as the Community Planning Branch in 1946, with expanded duties.
The Saskatchewan Assessment Commission, established in 1921, was responsible for assessments and appeals in municipalities and for issuing the basis of values for rural municipalities, functions previously performed by the Wild Land Tax Branch (1918-1921).
The Northern Settlers Re-establishment Branch (1935-1942) was established to administer northern local improvement districts and to assist in the re-establishment of southerners to Northern areas of the province where land was more fertile. It was consolidated with the Local Improvements Branch in 1942.
The Local Improvement Districts Branch (est. 1943) was responsible for tax collection, providing agricultural and medical assistance, and the construction and maintenance of roads and bridges in local improvement districts.
The Municipal Assessments Branch (est. 1947) was established and assigned responsibility for land assessment of all municipalities with a population of 15,000.
The Municipal Road Assistance Authority, established in 1956, operated as an arms-length organization from the department and was responsible for providing assistance to municipalities in the construction of bridges and municipal roads. The Authority also administered The Grid Road program; The Municipal Bridge program; The Ferry program; and the Equalization program. It inherited the responsibility for research on the province's grid road system when the Municipal Advisory Commission was disbanded in 1965.
In 1970, The Saskatchewan Emergency Measures Organization was transferred to the department. The Organization had originated in the Department of Social Welfare and Rehabilitation as the Civil Defence Branch in 1951, and operated under The Civil Defence and Disaster Act.
The Urban Advisory Commission was established June 1972. The Commission had a mandate to review the adequacy of housing programs with a view of developing new programs and organizations. The Commission was to also examine and work towards the creation of the Saskatchewan Housing Corporation.
The Community Capital Fund was established pursuant to The Capital Planning Act 1974. The fund was to assist cities, towns, villages and hamlets with acquiring, constructing and equipping capital works during a period of April 1, 1974 to March 31, 1979.
The Grants Branch was established in 1975. The branch was responsible for the administration of unconditional operating grants, equalization grants, grants for police services and the Community Capital Fund.
A new Department of Municipal Affairs Act was enacted in 1976, which allowed for the re-organization of the department. The mandate of the re-organized department was to ensure responsible and responsive local government, and to ensure sound planning and orderly physical development. Responsibilities were split between a Rural Affairs Division and an Urban Affairs Division.
In 1980, the Department of Municipal Affairs was disestablished. The department's functions and responsibilities were transferred to the newly created Department of Rural Affairs and Department of Urban Affairs.
Scope and content
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
These records may be to subject to access restrictions. Please consult reference archivist for assistance.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Use, publication and/or reproduction of records subject to terms and conditions of the Copyright Act. Please consult reference archivist for assistance.
To consult the records, visit or contact the Regina office.
For purposes of retrieval, records may be requested without the use of the placeholder zero (0) included in the reference code.
Reference code in the records descripton has had a placeholder zero added to permit more accurate sorting of search results by this value. The reference code borne by the records may not reflect this syntax.
Specific cartographic details:
54 x 53
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Saskatchewan Archives. Archival Description Manual 2004.
Level of detail
Language of description
Script of description