Rotary Club of Regina

Identity area

Type of entity

Corporate body

Authorized form of name

Rotary Club of Regina

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

  • Rotary Club Number 1376 (Regina)
  • Rotary Club No. 1376 (Regina)
  • Regina Rotary Club

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

1917-

History

The Regina Rotary Club held its first meeting on August 24, 1917 in the Assiniboia Club on Victoria Avenue in Regina, Saskatchewan. This was Regina’s first service club, and the third Rotary Club in Saskatchewan after Saskatoon and Moose Jaw. The Regina club was sponsored by the Calgary club and there were 35 charter members at the first meeting.

The Rotary provides humanitarian service, helps build good will and peace around the world, and encourages high ethical standards in business by use of the Four-Way Test: 1) Is it the Truth? 2) Is it Fair to all concerned? 3) Will it build good will and Better Friendships? 4) Will it be Beneficial to all concerned? Funds are raised for global programs such as ShelterBox and Polio eradication, and local programs like mental health, Regina Palliative care, Carmichael Outreach, Sacred Heart Elementary School, Regina First Steps Wellness Centre.

Rotary Park was built in 1937 on a barren piece of land on the south side of Wascana Creek, west of the Albert St. bridge. The park was to become the first part of what was later to become Regina's Wascana Centre.

The club was involved in wartime fundraising during World War One and World War Two.

The Rotary Christmas Carol Festival began at Knox Metropolitan Church in December 1941.

In 1949 Regina Rotary began a long association with the Regina Salvation Army, manning the Christmas kettles to raise for the needy.

The Regina Club sponsored new clubs such as Fort Qu'Appelle in 1939, Regina Eastview in 1957, and Regina North in 1979.

In 1977 over $70,000 was raised to build the Senior Citizen's Activity Centre in Les Sherman Park, on Elphinstone Street.

Raised additional funds in 1989 to build an expansion wing.

International student exchanges and group study exchanges began in 1971 with the first student from Tamworth, Australia.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

Relationships area

Related entity

Rotary International. District 5550

Identifier of related entity

Category of relationship

hierarchical

Type of relationship

Rotary International. District 5550

is the superior of

Rotary Club of Regina

Dates of relationship

Description of relationship

Access points area

Subject access points

Place access points

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Draft

Level of detail

Minimal

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

2021-07-12 (Creation)

Language(s)

  • English

Script(s)

  • Latin

Sources

Archivists' notes on accession 2018-101.

Rotary District 5550. Club Directory and Contacts. Retrieved from https://rotary5550.org/clubdirectory.

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC

Related subjects

Related places