Lampman Rural Telephone Company, 1914-1977

Identity area

Type of entity

Local Government

Authorized form of name

Lampman Rural Telephone Company, 1914-1977

Parallel form(s) of name

Standardized form(s) of name according to other rules

Other form(s) of name

Identifiers for corporate bodies

Description area

Dates of existence

1914-1977

History

The Lampman Rural Telephone Company was incorporated in 1911 to provide telephone service in the Lampman area of Saskatchewan. It was served by the Lampman Local Exchange Board beginning in 1914, along with four other small rural telephone companies: Lampman North, Landau, Wilberforce-Lampman and Grimes (later Cullen), all with representation on the Exchange board. In 1934 Cullen, Lampman North, Landau and Wilberforce-Lampman rural telephone companies amalgamated with Lampman Rural Telephone Company. In the following years other small telephone companies were also absorbed including Steelman (1946), Lampman Urban (1947?) and Browning (1948?).

In 1964, Saskatchewan Government Telephones (SaskTel), acquired control of the town system in Lampman. SaskTel put up a new building, and installed an automatic exchange that included a new dial system. On January 13, 1977, SaskTel, as part of an effort to centralize all telephone operations in the province, assumed complete control of rural lines handled by the Lampman Rural Telephone Co. The Lampman Rural Telephone Co. held its last board meeting on March 3, 1977.

Places

Legal status

Functions, occupations and activities

Mandates/sources of authority

Internal structures/genealogy

General context

The following are telephone companies related to Lampman Rural Telephone Company: Browning Rural Telephone Company (1911-1948); Cullen Rural Telephone Company (1913-1934); Grimes Rural Telephone Company (1913-1916); Lampman North Rural Telephone Company (1913-1934); Lampman Urban Telephone Company (?-1947?); Landau Rural Telephone Company (1914-1934); Steelman Rural Telephone Company (1916-1946?); Wilberforce-Lampman Rural Telephone Company (1913-1934).
There also may have been a Lampman East Rural Telephone Company.
Landau Rural Telephone Company appears as "Landon" in the Department of Telephones colleciton (R-899; finding aid GR 352).

Relationships area

Related entity

Sask Tel / Saskatchewan Telecommunications

Identifier of the related entity

Category of the relationship

temporal

Dates of the relationship

Description of relationship

Sask Tel / Saskatchewan Telecommunications is the successor of Lampman Rural Telephone Company, 1914-1977

Access points area

Subject access points

Place access points

Occupations

Control area

Authority record identifier

LGA 6

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Rules for Archival Description (RAD)

Status

Final

Level of detail

Dates of creation, revision and deletion

Authority record created on 2008-04-29. Approved 2012-03-06. Last modified on 2017-11-29.

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Lampman and District History Book Committee (1982). Poet's Corner: A History of Lampman and District and the R.M. of Browning. Lampman: Lampman and District History Book Committee
Contents of Lampman Rural Telephone Co. fonds (F 29)
Contents of Department of Telephones collection (R-899).

Maintenance notes

  • Clipboard

  • Export

  • EAC

Related subjects

Related places