Title and statement of responsibility area
Jean Liboiron collection
General material designation
- Textual record
- Graphic material
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- Liboiron, Jean, 1940-
- Liboiron, Adrien, 1885-1947
- Royer, M. Albert, Abbé, ca. 1860-1922
- Marl, Marie Royer, b. 1872
Physical description area
0.105 m of textual records
48 photographs : glass plate negatives
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Jean Liboiron was born in Ponteix, Saskatchewan on April 18, 1940 to Adrien and Marguerite (nee Mercier) Liboiron. He was the youngest of seven children. Liboiron attended at College Mathieu and Ponteix High School and studied electronics at DeVry Technical school in Toronto, Ontario. He served four years in the Canadian Armed Forces, then settled in Regina.
Liboiron studied architectural drafting and worked in the construction industry prior to pursuing political science studies at the University of Regina in the 1960s. He returned to Ponteix in the mid-1970s and operated a construction company with his brother.
In the late 1970s Liboiron became director of communications for l'Association culturelle franco-canadienne de la Saskatchewan. In 1984 he left that organization to work as a civil servant in information services at the Department of Tourism and Small Business. In 1987 Liboiron accepted a position with la Commission culturelle fransaskoise where he worked in cultural tourism development. He became the executive director of that organization in 1988. Liboiron continues to be active in historical pursuits and francophone culture through la Société historique de la Saskatchewan.
Jean Liboiron married Rita Durella Perron of Montmartre. They had two children: Colette and John Jr. Liboiron and his wife reside (2007) in Regina.
Name of creator
Adrien Liboiron was born on September 9, 1885 to Joseph and Emma (nee Hamelin) Liboiron of St. Polycarpe, Soulange, Quebec. Educated by the Clercs St.-Viateur, he came to the Notre Dame d'Auvergne (Ponteix) area of what is now Saskatchewan with his parents and family to homestead in 1909. Prior to this time, Adrien Liboiron had taught in schools for the deaf in Rigaud and Terrebonne, Quebec.
Liboiron homesteaded on the south half of 27-9-12 W 3rd, was the first teacher in the Ponteix area. In 1910 he worked as a Dominion Lands agent for the Swift Current district. In 1913 he opened offices in Ponteix where he offered services as a notary public, road inspector, collection agent and insurance agent. He built many homes and businesses in Ponteix and also operated a men's clothing store.
Liboiron also served as councilor and mayor of Ponteix, and as parish trustee. Following the death of his friend, Abbé Albert Royer, he took over as editor of L'Hirondelle a column in the Patriote de l'Ouest.
Adrien Liboiron married Marie-Louise Mercier in 1912. They had two children, Joseph (1913-1916) and another child who died with its mother in the Spanish Flu of 1919. Adrien Liboiron married Marguerite Mercier on May 3, 1920 and they had seven children: David (died in infancy), Francois, Thérèse, Jeanne, Marie, Claire and Jean.
Adrien Liboiron died on September 17, 1947 and is buried in Ponteix.
Name of creator
Marie Albert Royer was born ca. 1860 in Riom, Puy de Dome, Auvergne, France. Educated in the seminaries of the Fathers of the Holy Spirit and Sulpicians, Royer was ordained to the priesthood and became a pastor in Ponteix, France.
Royer came to the Swift Current area of Saskatchewan in 1905, in search of a possible site for a parish. He wintered in 1907-1908 at the Notukeu Creek area with a group of settlers, near the future site of Gravelbourg. In April of 1908 Royer and settlers from Swift Current gathered on the south-east quarter of 30-9-11 W3. This site became the parish and hamlet of Notre Dame d'Auvergne.
When the Canadian Pacific Railway by-passed the hamlet in 1913, many businesses and homes moved to the south side of the creek near the railway station. Abbé Royer had a new church built there and named the new site Ponteix after his home parish in France. Abbé Royer served the Ponteix parish until his death in November 1922.
Some of Royer's siblings, Eugene (Alexis) Royer, Marie Alexis Royer and Marie (Royer) Marl also settled in the Ponteix area.
Name of creator
Marie Royer was born in Riom, Puy de Dome, Auvergne, France in 1872. She came to the Ponteix, Saskatchewan area in May 1913 via the United States and Georgovia, Saskatchewan.
In 1915 Marie Royer left Saskatchewan to nurse overseas at the Riom Military Hospital, remaining there until 1919. She returned to Ponteix in August 1919 and applied for naturalization in 1920. Royer married Eugene Alexis Marl.
Marie Royer was a sister of Abbé Marie Albert Royer founder of Notre Dame d'Auvergne, of Marie Alexis Royer who homesteaded on SW 15-3-11 W3, and of Eugene (Alexis) Royer who homesteaded SE 15-3-11 W3 before moving to Louisiana, U.S.A.
The records of Abbé M. Albert Royer and Marie Royer are believed to have come into the possession of Adrien Liboiron, father of Jean Liboiron at the time of the settling of Abbé Royer's estate in 1922-1923.
Certain photographs of the Catholic parish Notre-Dame d'Auvergne and Ponteix districts found in Accession R80-090 were copied by Jean Liboiron prior to donation. Other photographs in this accession were loaned for copying by Jean Liboiron per Claudette Gendron on behalf of La Societé historique de la Saskatchewan.
Scope and content
This collection consists of records accumulated by Jean Liboiron originally of Ponteix, Saskatchewan, in relation to his interest in the origins of the Catholic parish of Notre-Dame d'Auvergne and early development of the Ponteix community. The records span 1905 to 1980 and include photocopied and original materials.
Records consist of photographs, parish accounts (1907-1922); pew locations for the parish (1909-1919); general correspondence; speeches; histories and newspaper clippings relating to Auvergne and Ponteix districts. The photographs document Auvergne's first settlers; Métis families; early churches, religious sisters and congregations; Lac Pelletier; l'Abbe Royer's tent at Ponteix; farm buildings and activities; the first school and school children; and Ponteix elevators and street scenes.
There is a short six-page historical article of the parish of Notre-Dame d'Auvergne written by Jean Liboiron in 1980 included in the collection.
This collection also contains records of the Abbé M. Albert Royer fonds. Certain of these records were created, accumulated and used by Abbé Royer. These relate to the Royer family and to Albert Royer's role as founder and leader of the Paroisse de Notre Dame d'Auvergne. Others were created and accumulated by Adrien Liboiron, a friend of Abbé Royer who acted on behalf of Eugene (Alexis) Royer of Brusly, Louisiana during the settling of the Abbé's estate following his death in November 1922. The records span from 1907-1930.
Included in the Royer fonds are:
(1) correspondence and legal documents of Adrien Liboiron (1908-1913, 1918-1930);
(2) correspondence of Abbé Royer with the Congregation du St.-Esprit in Paris, the Juvenat des Frères du Sacre-Cour in St. Hyacinthe, Quebec, the Mission Oblats de Marie Immaculeé in St. Boniface, Manitoba, the Archibishop of Regina and others in association with the operations Notre Dame d'Auvergne Parish, and parish accounts (1907-1922); and
(3) documents of Marie Royer (1913-1920) including naturalization records; and homesteading records of Marie Alexis Royer (SW-15-3-11W3) and Eugene (Alexis) Royer (SE-15-3-11 W3).
No series have been assigned to the records in this collection.
Most records are in good physical condition. Some original newspaper clippings have been repaired with tape and certain records have been poorly copied. Certain glass plate negatives have dark images.
Immediate source of acquisition
Jean Liboiron donated these records to the Regina office, Saskatchewan Archives in four accessions in 1980, 1988 and 1989: R80-66 (18 March 1980); R80-090 (January 27, 1980); R88-143 (May 6, 1988); and R89-434 (December 14, 1989).
Arrangement reflects original order and archival intervention.
Language of material
Script of material
Language and script note
Records are predominantly in the French language, with certain records in English.
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Parish accounts for Notre Dame d'Auvergne (1907-1922) are available in original (R-1167) and photocopied formats (R-1274.1).
Restrictions on access
Records are open for research use.
Glass plate negatives are not available for research use.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Use, publication and/or reproduction of records may be subject to terms and conditions of the Copyright Act and/or a donor agreement.
SAFA 340 consists of a fonds description, file descriptions of certain textual records and item descriptions of photographs. Item descriptions of certain photographs also available electronically.
Uploaded finding aid
Related material: R-E4807 Collection Poirier. A published collection of documents relating to the construction of Notre Dame d'Auvergne Parish.
The pamphlet file “French in Saskatchewan” in the SAB's permanent collection contains an additional copy of A. Royer's “Excursion d'un missionnaire en 1907. Fondation de plusieur paroissses dans le S.-O. de la Saskatchewan.” (Ottawa, 1908) to that located in R-1167.
L'Eau Vive, 1 octobre 1980 contains Jean Liboiron's history “Petite histoire de Ponteix.”
Further accruals are expected.
Photographs described in 2007 were placed in mylar sleeves. Prints from all glass plate negatives have been made for research use.
Conservation measures in place at the time of processing were applied to the textual records in the collection.
Textual records: R-1274.1; R-1167
Photographs: old guide GR 228 (R-500.130): R-A19699 to R-A19723; R-A33873 to R-A33894; R-A33895 to R-A33896; R-B10329 to R-B10332; R-B14460 to R-B14464.
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Saskatchewan Archives. Archival Description Manual 2004.
Level of detail
Language of description
Script of description
Contents of collection.