Title and statement of responsibility area
Holy Family Hospital Nursing School fonds
General material designation
- Graphic material
- Textual record
Title statements of responsibility
- Source of title proper: File titles were supplied by the records creator and copied exactly as they appeared on the original envelopes by the archivist.
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- Holy Family Hospital School of Nursing, 1910-1969
Physical description area
1.200m of textual records
305 photographs : prints, b&w, col.
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
The Holy Family Hospital in Prince Albert, Saskatchewan was opened in December, 1910. The hospital was owned and administered by a charitable order known as the Sisters of Charity of the Immaculate Conception. Shortly after the hospital's opening, a School of Nursing was established and a three-year program to teach and train nurses was offered. The first nurse to graduate from the school was Henrietta Mutter (Sister Mary Katherine), in 1913. The first group of lay nurses were admitted to the school in March, 1913.
A residence for the student nurses was built in 1915 and was used until November 1955, when a new building with classrooms, offices, a library, auditorium and student residence was officially opened.
In 1953, a Centralized Teaching Program was established by the Government of Saskatchewan. Nursing students spent the first four months in Saskatoon receiving instruction in Social Sciences. In the late 1960s, a recommendation was made that nursing education should be disassociated from hospitals and responsibility for all nursing education passed to the Government of Saskatchewan. The nursing school closed in 1969 and the hospital continued to operate until September 1997. Approximately 698 nurses graduated from the school during its operation.
Directors of the Holy Family Hospital Nursing School were as follows: Sister M. Austin (Verrow), 1913-1918; Sister M. Katherine Mutter, 1918-1924; Sister M. Electa King, 1924-1927; Sister M. Symphorosa Tremblay, 1927-1945; Sister M. Irene, 1945-1953; Sister M. Germaine Kergoat, 1953-1960; Sister Rosarie Lundy, 1957-1963; Sister Jane Frances Rooney, 1960-1966; and Sister Anne Marie McGloan, 1966-1969.
Dana Doucette of the Prince Albert Parkland Health Region transferred these records to the Provincial Archives of Saskatchewan in one accession in 2017: 2017-057 (June 1, 2017).
Scope and content
This fonds consists of 852 student records created, accumulated and used by the Holy Family Hospital Nursing School in Prince Albert, Saskatchewan. The records relate to students that successfully completed their training and received their diplomas along with students that withdrew for various reasons. The types of records included are: applications for admission; the student's permanent record; marks and examination results; reports/evaluations from affiliated institutions, including sanatoriums; Munroe Wing, Regina General Hospital and Yorkton Psychiatric Centre; final summary of student's progress and development; correspondence; and photographs, including graduation portraits originally published in yearbooks. Please note that not all files contain every type of record listed above.
No series were identified in this fonds.
Records are in good physical condition. Portions of the original manila envelopes have adhered to some of the records.
Immediate source of acquisition
Original alphabetical order maintained by archivist.
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Box number(s): 1-6
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
These records are subject to access restrictions.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Use, publication and/or reproduction are subject to terms and conditions of the Copyright Act. Please consult reference archivist for assistance.
To consult the records, visit or contact the Regina office.
SAFA 707-1 (researcher version) and SAFA 707-2 (restricted version) consist of a fonds description and box listing of textual records.
No further accruals are expected.
Location for retrieval: Regina - Maxwell
Photographs were assigned NT (non-textual) numbers and retained in the textual files. The photographs that were badly obscured by envelope residue were not counted, numbered or listed by the archivist.
Records were removed from the original manila envelopes and placed into acid-free file folders. Staples were removed from photographs. Photographs were placed in plastic sleeves.
Standard number area
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Saskatchewan Archives. Archival Description Manual 2004.
Level of detail
Language of description
Script of description
Content of the fonds.