Title and statement of responsibility area
Board of Education Administration Building
General material designation
- Architectural drawing
- Technical drawing
Title statements of responsibility
Level of description
Edition statement of responsibility
Class of material specific details area
Statement of scale (cartographic)
Statement of projection (cartographic)
Statement of coordinates (cartographic)
Statement of scale (architectural)
Issuing jurisdiction and denomination (philatelic)
Dates of creation area
- Pettick, Joseph, 1924-2010
- Pettick, Joseph, 1924-2010
- Board of Education for the Regina Public School District No. 4 of Saskatchewan and the Regina Collegiate Institute, 1966-1978
Physical description area
12 architectural drawings : pencil, paper
Publisher's series area
Title proper of publisher's series
Parallel titles of publisher's series
Other title information of publisher's series
Statement of responsibility relating to publisher's series
Numbering within publisher's series
Note on publisher's series
Archival description area
Name of creator
Joseph Pettick was born in Nyirparasnya, Hungary on October 8, 1924. His family immigrated to Kipling, Saskatchewan in 1927 and settled in Regina in 1929. Pettick completed his primary and secondary school education in Regina. During The Second World War, Pettick worked, from 1939 to 1942, as a machinist and tool designer for Regina Industries Ltd. in the manufacture of anti-tank guns. He enlisted in the Navy in 1942 and served as a stoker aboard the HMCS Stone Town engaged in convoy duty in the North Atlantic.
Pettick's architectural career began in 1946 as an apprentice with Portnall & Stock Architects. He was registered as an architect with the Saskatchewan Association of Architects in 1954 and started his own firm, Joseph Pettick Architect Ltd., that same year. In 1955, Pettick attended the School of Architecture at the University of Oklahoma, where he studied Aesthetic Design, City Planning, and Structural and Mechanical Engineering. In 1996, Pettick enlarged his business by forming P3 Architecture (Pettick Phillips Partners Architects Ltd.) in partnership with Colin Phillips.
As of 2005, Pettick had executed over 1000 commissions, either as sole practitioner or as a member of a partnership. His buildings define the skyline of Regina, the most recognizable being the SaskPower Building (1963), City Hall (1976), the SaskTel Building, and the Bank of Montreal (1981).
Pettick received special recognition for his accomplishments including a Massey Medal for Architecture (1961); election to the College of Fellows of the Royal Architectural Institute of Canada (1967); the naming of the shelter and administrative premises of the Regina Humane Society The Joseph Pettick Animal Shelter (1983); the B.O.M.A. Award for Design for the Bank of Montreal provincial office building (1988); election to Life Membership, Saskatchewan Association of Architects (2002); an honourary Life Membership, Royal Architectural Institute of Canada (2004); an Honorary Life Member, Regina Construction Association (2005); an Honorary Doctor of Laws, University of Regina (2005); and the investiture into the Saskatchewan Order of Merit (2005).
Pettick sat on various boards and associations, both locally and nationally including: the Saskatchewan Association of Architects; the Regina Housing Authority; the Structural Advisory Group of the National Research Council; the Saskatchewan Construction Council; the Saskatchewan Design Council and the Royal Architectural Institute of Canada. His interest in societal issues produced numerous treatises and publications related to governmental reform, nuclear energy, and northern development.
Pettick died in Regina on September 12, 2010.
Name of creator
In 1965, The School Act was passed by the Saskatchewan Government, allowing for the amalgamation of school boards. On January 1, 1966, the Board of the Regina Public School District No. 4 of Saskatchewan and the Board of the Regina Collegiate Institute School District No. 1 (High School) amalgamated to form the Board of Education for the Regina Public School District No. 4 of Saskatchewan and the Regina Collegiate Institute. The first meeting of the new Board was held on January 3, 1966. The first Board consisted of A.S. Cochrane (chairman); Dr. J.J.A. McLurg (vice-chairman) and seven members (A.S. Cochrane; Dr. J.J.A. McLurg; B.G. Brown; Ruth Mathison Buck; G.A. Dawley; J.A. Griffin and H. Ingham).
The Board was responsible for administering the public elementary and high schools in the City of Regina. In 1966, the Board was responsible for Balfour Technical School; 45 public elementary schools and 6 collegiates. The Board was elected through a public vote held every three years. Funding was secured through provincial grants and locally generated revenues. The Board's duties and powers included administering and managing the educational affairs of the school district; exercising general supervision and control over the schools in the district; approving administrative procedures pertaining to the internal organization, management and supervision of the schools; providing and maintaining school accomodation, equipment and facilities; and appointing and employing qualified teachers, principals and other necessary staff.
The administration office was located at 1860 Lorne Street. Senior administrative staff included the Director and Superintendent, who served as the chief executive officer; the Deputy Director and Deputy Superintendent; the Planning and Research Officer; the Secretary-Treasurer; the Chief Clerk and the Business Manager. Superintendents; assistant superintendents; consultants; principals, teachers and clerical and maintenance staff were also part of the administrative organization.
In 1978, all school districts became school divisions pursuant to the Education Act (S.S. 1978, c.17). The Regina Public School District No. 4 of Saskatchewan was disestablished and ceased to exist on January 1, 1979 while the Regina Collegiate Institute School District No. 1 (High School) was disestablished effective March 30, 1979. The Regina School Division No. 4 of Saskatchewan was established effective January 1, 1979 to continue administering and operating the public elementary and high schools in Regina.
Scope and content
Renovations - 1967
Immediate source of acquisition
Language of material
Script of material
Location of originals
Availability of other formats
Restrictions on access
Records are open for research use.
Terms governing use, reproduction, and publication
Use, publication and/or reproduction of records are subject to terms of the donor agreement dated February 11, 2005 and the terms of the Copyright Act. Please consult reference archivist for assistance.
To consult the records, visit or contact the Regina office.
SAFA 207 consists of a fonds description, series descriptions, file listings of textual records and item descriptions of architectural drawings and some of the slides.
Uploaded finding aid
Paper, pencil. Includes floor plans, elevations, sections, details and schedules, mechanical and electrical layouts.
Fonds: Joseph Pettick
Location for retrieval: Regina-Maxwell
To enable more accurate refrence code (local identifier) sorting, the reference code on the record description has been modified to include at least one place holder zero (0).
Specific cartographic details:
Office, Administrative, Financial
A1-A6; M1-M3; E1-E3
Project or Contract Number: 6701.
Standard number area
Subject access points
Place access points
Name access points
Genre access points
Description record identifier
Rules or conventions
Saskatchewan Archives. Archival Description Manual 2004.
Level of detail
Language of description
Script of description