Affichage de 7732 résultats

Notice d'autorité

Gleadow, Mabel Elizabeth, 1909-1968

  • PA 232
  • Personne
  • 1909-1968

Mabel Elizabeth Taylor was born in 1909 in Dauphin, Manitoba. She had four sisters and four brothers. She completed her nursing training in Winnipeg, Manitoba in 1931. In 1937, she married Norman Gleadow, an RCMP constable who was killed in the line of duty in October, 1939. From 1941 to 1945, she served as a nursing sister with the Canadian Army in various parts of Europe.

In 1946, Mabel Gleadow became the first flight nurse of the Saskatchewan Air Ambulance Service in Regina. In 1947 she moved to Esterhazy, Saskatchewan, where she worked as a nurse until her return to Regina in 1957. She worked as a nurse at the Grey Nuns Hospital and was matron of Parkside Nursing Home. Mabel Gleadow died on January 6, 1968 in Regina and is buried in Riverside Memorial Park.

Mabel Gleadow married Alexander Lukiwski in 1947. They had two sons, Terry and Thomas. Alexander Lukiwski died on March 18, 1988 and is also buried at Riverside Memorial Park.

Carson, Carol, 1945-

  • PA 214
  • Personne
  • 1945-

Carol Carson was born on September 5, 1945 in Nipawin, Saskatchewan to George and Irene Plageman. She has two brothers and one sister. Raised on a farm near Choiceland, she attended Mossy Glen School and Choiceland High School. Carson attended the University of Saskatchewan, where she earned Education and Arts degrees.

Carson worked as a teacher in Melfort, Saskatchewan from 1967 to 1973. She was an alderman in Melfort from 1986 to 1988 and Mayor of Melfort from 1989 to 1991. She was also a member of the board of directors of the Saskatchewan Urban Municipalities Association and served on the boards of the Melfort-Kinistino Rural Development Corporation, the Melfort Union Hospital, and Plus Industries.

Carson was first elected to the Saskatchewan Legislature in 1991 and served as the New Democratic Party MLA for Melfort Constituency until 1995. Carson served in the Roy Romanow government as Minister of Community Services (1991-1993); Minister of Environment and Public Safety (1991-1992); Minister Responsible for Saskatchewan Housing Corporation (1991-1995); Minister Responsible for Saskatchewan Municipal Board (1991-1995); Minister Responsible for Saskatchewan Property Management Corporation (1991-1992); Minister Responsible for Saskatchewan Transportation Company (1991-1992); and Minister of Municipal Government (1993-1995).

Carson retired from political life in July 1995 and as of 2008, resided in Melfort, Saskatchewan.

Carol Plageman married Grant Carson, a lawyer, on June 18, 1965. They have five children: Paul, Les, Mark, Shannon and Glen.

Saskatchewan. Dept. of Public Health

  • GA 53
  • Primary Agency
  • 1923-1974

Public health ordinances created during the Territorial period of Saskatchewan's history had been administered by the Royal North West Mounted Police. As of April 10, 1906, the ordinances were enforced by the Minister of Agriculture of the new province of Saskatchewan.

In 1909, The Public Health Act created a Bureau of Public Health which was responsible to the Minister of Municipal Affairs.

By 1923, it was felt that the responsibilities of the Bureau had expanded to such a degree that it should become a separate department of the government of Saskatchewan. The Act Respecting the Department of Public Health [The Department of Public Health Act] was assented to on March 22, 1923 transforming the Bureau into the Department of Public Health. The Act stated that "All that part of the administration of the Government of Saskatchewan which relates to public health shall be under the control of the department."

The legislation gave the Department the responsibility for administering The Public Health Act, The Vital Statistics Act and The Venereal Diseases Act. The annual report for 1923 also includes responsibility for the Union Hospital Act and the Act to Regulate Public Aid to Hospitals which fell under the enabling legislation as "such other Acts as may be from time to time assigned to it." John Michael Ulrich was named Minister of Public Health and on April 11, 1923, Maurice MacDonald Seymour was appointed Deputy Minister.

The administration of these acts is reflected in the Divisions within the new department which changed very little from the structure of the old Bureau:

Division of Communicable Disease - responsible for epidemiology and statistics, distribution of vaccines and sera, supervision and treatment of trachoma, supervision of tuberculosis and care of the dead.

Division of Sanitation - responsible for a water and milk laboratory, waterworks and sewerage, public health exhibits, urban and rural sanitation, temporary housing such as lumber camps and hospital organization and construction.

Venereal Disease Division - responsible for tracking, treatment, education and statistics relating to sexually transmitted diseases. This included the operation of dispensaries and clinics.

Laboratory Division - responsible for government laboratories / testing and evaluation including pathology, bacteriology, chemical analysis of food, milk, water and alcoholic beverages. The division also supplied physicians, hospitals and veterinarians with culture media, sterile containers and swabs for taking samples.

Division of Child Welfare - provided education and support for expectant mothers and infants through clinics, maternity grants and home nursing. The Division was also responsible for Hospital Management which included hospital regulation and review.

Vital Statistics Division - responsible for recording, certification, tabulation and searches of records and statistics relating to population, births, marriages, deaths, divorces, communicable disease and infant mortality. Aside from the expected statistics, the division also tracked data such as inter-religious and interracial marriage.

Administration Division - responsible for the administration and operation of the department itself. It occasionally had the responsibility for some activities that fell outside of the purview of other divisions.

Other duties of the Department as prescribed by the enabling legislation were the authority to: institute inquiry and collect facts and statistics relating to all matters of public health; disseminate information in such manner and form as may be found best adapted to promote health and to prevent and suppress disease; secure the observance and execution of all Acts and regulations dealing with matters of public health and vital statistics; issue from time to time such reports, statistics, circulars and other publications as may be deemed advisable; and perform such other duties as may be assigned to it from time to time by law or by the Lieutenant-Governor-in-Council.

The annual budget for the fiscal year ending April 30, 1924 was $540,399.42 of which over $300,000 was aid to hospitals.

There were few major changes in the structure of the Department for the next 20 years. School Hygiene Branch was transferred from the Department of Education to Public Health in 1928 and was merged with Child Welfare to form the Division of Public Health Nursing. Hospital Management was split off as its own division. In 1930, responsibility for mental institutions was transferred from Public Works to Public Health and the Administration Division of Public Health administered The Mental Defectives Act.

By 1941, the department administered a dozen provincial acts: The Public Health Act; The Hospitals Act; The Union Hospital Act; The Tuberculosis Sanatoria and Hospitals Act; The Venereal Diseases Act; The Vital Statistics Act; The Marriage Act; The Mental Hygiene Act; The Anatomy Act; The Municipal Medical and Hospital Services Act; The Mutual Medical and Hospital Benefit Associations Act; The Saskatchewan Cancer Commission Act.

Major changes occurred in 1944 with the election of the Canadian Commonwealth Federation (CCF) government, led by Thomas Clement (Tommy) Douglas. Health care became the single most important issue for the CCF as evidenced by the fact that Douglas took on the portfolio for the Department as well as being Premier of Saskatchewan. One of the first undertakings of the CCF was to appoint a commission in September of 1944 to review the state of health care in Saskatchewan and to make recommendations. The Health Services Survey Commission (HSSC) was headed by Dr. Henry E. Sigerist of Johns Hopkins Medical School. Following the commission's report, the Health Services Planning Commission (HSPC) was created on November 14, 1944 to continue to provide advisory services but also to step outside the existing conservative bureaucracy in implementing the recommendations of the Sigerist Commission.

For the next 5 years, the lines between the Department and the HSPC blur. Bureaucrats of the time are quoted as saying that the activities of both crossed back and forth. Even so, the basic divisional structure of the Department remained very similar. Some new initiatives and divisions were created during this period. Industrial Hygiene undertook the safety of workers. Many of these new initiatives had a large educational and preventative component. Dental Health took an active role in education re: dental hygiene and actual treatment. Divisions for Physical Fitness, Nutrition, and Health Education were also added to the departmental organizational charts.

North America's first civilian air ambulance service was created during this period and fell under the Department of Public Health organizational charts but it was not given division status.

On April 1, 1950, the administrative functions of the health department and the HSPC were combined in a reorganized Department of Public Health. The HSPC continued to exist but was reduced to an advisory role. The various divisions were reorganized under six branches with branch heads reporting to the Assistant Deputy Minister who then reported to the Deputy Minister.

The Branches consisted of: Administrative Services Branch; Research Statistics Branch; Psychiatric Services Branch; Medical and Hospital Services Branch; Regional Health Services Branch; Preventive Services Branch.

The Occupational Health Division and Health Education Division reported directly to the Assistant Deputy Minister outside of any branch structure. The Occupational Health Branch was established in 1957. The Medical Care Insurance Plan was implemented on July 1, 1962 following passage of The Saskatchewan Medical Care Insurance Act, in 1961. In 1966, the Air Ambulance Service Staff, Equipment and Aircraft were transferred to the Central Vehicles Agency under the Department of Public Works. The Department of Public Health was charged on a per mile basis for all Air Ambulance flights.

On July 1, 1974, the Dept. of Public Health became the Department of Health. Walter Edmund Smishek served as Minister for the Department both before and after the name change. This nomenclature remains in effect as of June 2005. The annual report covering the period April 1, 1973 to March 31, 1974 referred to the Department of Health, reflecting the name current during the preparation of the report rather than the title used during the period being reported on. Total expenditures for the fiscal year 1973-1974 (the last full year as Department of Public Health) totaled $194,233,131.22, a substantial increase over the half million budgeted for the first year of operation.

Doucette, Robert Glen, 1962 -

  • PA 227
  • Personne
  • 1962-

Robert Glen Doucette was born on February 29, 1962 in Buffalo Narrows, Saskatchewan. He spent his first four years in Duck Lake, and was then raised by foster parents, Marcien and Rita Doucette. He received his primary and secondary education in Prince Albert. Doucette attended the University of Saskatchewan and the University of Brandon from 1984 to 1989, majoring in Political Science and Native Studies.

Doucette has held a variety of positions during his professional career as follows: clerk for Finance Accounting Operations, Employment and Immigration Canada, Financial Services (April 1989 to January 1990); Saskatchewan regional coordinator of the Native Internship Program operated by Canada Employment and Immigration (1990); provincial coordinator of the Saskatchewan 500 Years Coalition (November 1991 to May 1992); researcher for the MNS Western Region II and IIA and the Métis Labor Force Corporation (May 1992 to April 1993); and executive director of Métis Employment & Training Inc. (Métis Inc.) (April 1993 to March 1994).

Doucette has been elected to various paid positions in the Métis Nation of Saskatchewan (MNS) including: Saskatoon Métis Local #126 president (1993-1995); area director, Western Region 2A (February 19, 1995 to January 22, 1998); secretary - Provincial Métis Council (February 22, 1998 to January 17, 2001); and vice-president - Provincial Métis Council (February 18, 2001 to April 9, 2001). While in these positions, he also served as an affiliate board member for the following institutions: Gabriel Dumont Institute; Métis Sport, Culture, Youth and Recreation; Métis Employment and Training (METIS Inc.); Back to Batoche Committee; and the Métis Addictions Council of Saskatchewan Inc. (MACSI).

From April 2001 to 2004, Doucette was employed by Métis Employment and Training of Saskatchewan Inc. (METSI) as a labour market analyst and manager.

In 2004, Doucette was initially declared the new president of the Métis Nation of Saskatchewan in a May 26 province wide election. After counting a missing ballot box, the election commission named Dwayne Roth president, a decision that Doucette appealed. A provincial government commission found the election had "serious problems". Despite these findings, the provincial government lacked the authority to order a new election, however, it did cut off provincial funding to Métis organizations operated by the MNS.

Besides his considerable elected and professional experience working, Doucette has devoted many years of volunteer service to Métis and Aboriginal organizations in both Saskatchewan and Manitoba, including: the Prince Albert Friendship Centre as a Native Youth Group counsellor (1984); the Indigenous Student Council (ISC) External & Internal Policy Board, University of Saskatchewan (1985-1986); University of Saskatchewan Student Council, External Board (1985-1986); Brandon University Native Organization (BUNO): External and Internal Policy Board (1989); Brandon Friendship Centre member (1989); MSS Local 33, Regina member (1990-1991); MSS Local 126, Saskatoon chairperson (1991-1993); Labour Force Development Strategy (LFDS) board member (1992); MNS Western Region II & IIA Métis Pathways board member (1992); Saskatoon Indian & Métis Friendship Centre member (1992-1993); Riversdale Community Association (Saskatoon) executive member (1992); and Dumont Technical Institute board member (1993). He is also an avid collector of documents relating to Métis and aboriginal history in Saskatchewan and Canada.

Robert Doucette was elected president of the Métis Nation of Saskatchewan in 2007. He was re-elected to a second term on September 8, 2012 and currently (2014) continues to serve in that position.

Doucette and his partner, Betty Garr, live and work in Saskatoon. He has four children: Kyra, Brady, Breanna, and Julia.

Heimbecker, Donna

  • PA 294
  • Personne
  • 1961-

Donna Heimbecker, a Métis woman of Cree and German descent, has worked as an educator, project manager, and consultant in community development. She graduated from the University of Saskatchewan.

Heimbecker has served local and provincial communities in many capacities including as a Métis Women of Saskatchewan representative for Western Region 2A; as a founding member of the Métis Coalition of Concerned Citizens, as a board member for the Gabriel Dumont Institute; as the provincial coordinator for METSI in the late 1990's; and as a member of the Saskatoon Executive Host Committee for the 2007 Juno Awards. In 1999, she co-founded the Saskatchewan Native Theatre Company in Saskatoon and was the theatre's general manager and producer until 2010. In 2005, she assisted in the editing of a book called, Howard Adams: Otapawy!: The Life of a Métis Leader in His Own Words in Those of His Contemporaries.

Heimbecker currently (2014) lives in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan and works as an aboriginal employment and partnership development consultant.

Family Service Bureau of Regina, 1946-

  • PA 230
  • Collectivité
  • 1946-

The Bureau of Public Welfare was a private, voluntary organization established in Regina, Saskatchewan in 1913. The Bureau provided monetary relief to Regina citizens and coordinated the relief activities of various charity groups in the city. It also worked to rehabilitate criminals; prevent juvenile delinquency; promote child welfare and improve working conditions for women. In 1914, Regina City Council transferred responsibility for all relief administration to the Bureau. In 1918, the responsibility was given to the City Health Department and the Bureau of Public Welfare was abolished.

The economic depression of the 1930's necessitated the revival of the Bureau of Public Welfare. The Regina Welfare Bureau (as it was now called) was established in December, 1931 and incorporated under the provisions of The Benevolent Societies Act on June 10, 1946. The Bureau fostered the development of wholesome family life; and assisted families and individuals to return to or achieve a normal life and to take part in programs of the community for social betterment. On February 1, 1956, the Bureau changed its name to the Family Service Bureau of Regina to reflect its focus on family counseling. On May 22, 1998, the organization became known as Family Service Regina Incorporated.

Family Service Regina currently (2007) provides community services including counseling for families, couples, and individuals; the Employee and Family Assistance Program (EFAP); teen and young parent programs; family violence programs; family education; marriage preparation; balancing work and family seminars; life skills programs; and community volunteer opportunities.

The Family Service Bureau's organizational structure, developed in 1931, includes a board of directors; president, first vice-president, second vice-president, secretary, and treasurer. The executive director manages the daily operations and oversees the counselors and program, financial and administrative staff.

Shumiatcher, Morris Cyril, 1917-2004

  • PA 231
  • Personne
  • 1917-2004

Morris Cyril Shumiatcher was born in Calgary, Alberta on September 20, 1917 to Abraham and Luba (Lubinsky) Shumiatcher. He had one sibling: Minuetta. He received his primary and secondary education in Calgary and earned Bachelor of Arts (1940) and Bachelor of Laws (1941) degrees from the University of Alberta. Shumiatcher earned a Master of Laws degree from the University of Toronto in 1942 and obtained his Doctorate of Jurisprudence from that institution in 1945.

Shumiatcher was called to the Bars of Alberta and British Columbia in 1943. After serving with the Royal Canadian Air Force as an air-gunner (1943-1945), he was called to the Bar of Saskatchewan. Shumiatcher moved to Regina, Saskatchewan in 1945 and held numerous positions within the Saskatchewan Government, including legal counsel, policy adviser and personal advisor and assistant to Premier T.C. Douglas. While in these positions, he drafted many laws, including the Farm Security Act and the Trade Union Act, and authored the Saskatchewan Bill of Rights (1947).

In 1948, Shumiatcher was named King's Counsel and in 1949 he was called to the Bars of Manitoba and the North-West Territories. In 1949 he left the Saskatchewan government and entered private practice, specializing in labour, taxation and corporate law.

During his career, Shumiatcher lectured and wrote on a variety of subjects, including literature, the arts, philosophy, law, human rights and obligations, the monarchy, politics and international relations. He appeared regularly on television and radio including a daily radio program on current affairs, a television program entitled The World in Focus, and a national CTV lecture series entitled Civil Liberties and the Law. Shumiatcher was the author of three books: Welfare: The Hidden Backlash (1971); Assault on Freedom (1962) and Man of Law: A Model (1979).

Shumiatcher was a member of many provincial, national and international organizations, including the Canadian Bar Association; the International Bar Association; and the Law Society of Saskatchewan. He was also a patron and supporter of numerous cultural organizations, galleries, theatres and artists. He served on the boards of numerous organizations in Regina, including the Norman Mackenzie Art Gallery, the Regina Symphony and Saskatchewan Centre of the Arts. Shumiatcher served as the Honorary Counsul-General for Japan and as Dean of the Consular Corps for Saskatchewan.

Shumiatcher received numerous awards in recognition of his contributions, including the Order of the Sacred Treasure of Japan (1987); the Canadian Bar Association Distinguished Service Award (1995); and the Saskatchewan Award of Merit (1996). He was named an Officer of the Order of Canada in 1981.

Shumiatcher died in Regina on September 23, 2004.

Morris Shumiatcher married Jacqueline Fanchette Clotilde Clay on April 18, 1955.

Saskatchewan Cancer Foundation, 1930-

  • PA 51
  • Collectivité
  • 1930-

In 1929, the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Saskatchewan established a cancer committee, which was to survey the treatment of cancer in the province and make proposals for improving it. The committee recommended that radium which was owned by private physicians be purchased by the government for use in centralized clinics under the control of a doctor. The committee also recommended that there be consultative services at each clinic, and that a commission be established to control the clinics. These recommendations were accepted by the government, and The Saskatchewan Cancer Commission Act (Chapter 218) was passed by the 1930 Session of the Legislature and became effective May 1, 1930. The Act authorized the establishment of a cancer control program in Saskatchewan, operated by the Saskatchewan Cancer Commission.

Two consultative diagnostic and treatment clinics were established in 1932, one in Regina, the other in Saskatoon. Initially, patients were required to pay nominal fees to the Commission for diagnostic services and radiotherapy, and were fully responsible for the payment of other medical, surgical and hospital costs related to the treatment of their cancer.

The leadership given at this time by the medical profession in Saskatchewan was responsible for the creation of the Canadian Cancer Society in 1938, and the establishment of a cancer program in the province which was unique in that it was founded on the mutual confidence and cooperation of the government, the medical profession and the laity.

The Cancer Control Act of 1944 was responsible for denoting Saskatchewan as the first area to have comprehensive tax-borne treatment for cancer in the world. It provided that all diagnostic services and treatment, including drugs directed at the control of cancer, would be paid by the province rather than by the patient.

In 1979, the Saskatchewan Cancer Foundation Act was passed, establishing Saskatchewan Cancer Foundation to replace the Cancer Commission. The Foundation maintains two service outlets: the Allan Blair Memorial Clinic in Regina and the Saskatoon Cancer Clinic. The clinics provide diagnosis, radiotherapy, chemotherapy and follow-up services. Registry services are an integral part of each clinic. In accordance with the Cancer Foundation Act, the Saskatchewan Cancer Foundation: collects information on cases of cancer and records data relating to these cases; participates or provides assistance for research projects in conjunction with the diagnosis, prevention and treatment of cancer; and collects information and records data on residents eligible for provincial cancer screening programs.

Grain Services Union, 1936-

  • PA 181
  • Collectivité
  • 1936-

The Grain Services Union traces its roots back to 1936 when elevator agents and office staff working for the Saskatchewan Wheat Pool formed the Saskatchewan Wheat Pool Employees' Association (SWPEA).

Over the years, SWPEA expanded to include all workers in Saskatchewan Wheat Pool's head office, elevator construction and repair division, terminal elevator offices, livestock division, and publications division.

In 1973, country elevator and construction employees of Manitoba Pool Elevators joined the union, and in 1974 the name was changed to the Grain Services Union.

Other groups of workers also organized to join the GSU: AgPro Grain terminal elevator employees in Saskatoon, Moose Jaw, and St. Boniface (formerly owned by Northern Sales and Elders Grain); AgPro Grain fish farm employees; Hillcrest Farms employees; Advanced Blueprint employees; and country elevator employees of Alberta Wheat Pool.

The Grain Services Union is affiliated to the Saskatchewan Federation of Labour, Alberta Federation of Labour, Manitoba Federation of Labour and was a direct affiliate to the Canadian Labour Congress until 1994. In that year, members voted to approve affiliating to the International Longshore and Warehouse Union (Canadian Area), although the connection to the CLC remains.

Meiklejohn, Raymond, 1935-

  • PA 238
  • Personne
  • 1935-

Raymond Harry Meiklejohn was born on November 7, 1935 in Quill Lake, Saskatchewan to Robert James Meiklejohn and Ada Maria Woodbury. He received his primary and secondary education in Quill Lake. Meiklejohn attended Saskatoon Teacher's College and the University of Saskatchewan, where he earned a Bachelor of Education degree (1965) and a postgraduate diploma (1975).

Prior to his entry into provincial politics, Meiklejohn worked as a teacher and special education administrator in Saskatoon. Meiklejohn ran unsuccessfully in the Kelvington-Wadena constituency in the 1978 provincial general election. He was first elected to the Saskatchewan Legislature in 1986 and served as the Progressive Conservative member for the Saskatoon Mayfair constituency until 1991. Meiklejohn ran unsuccessfully in the 1984 federal election in the Humboldt-Lake Centre riding.

Meiklejohn served in the Grant Devine Government as Minister of Science and Technology (1986-1990); Minister of Consumer and Commercial Affairs (1988-1989); and Minister of Education (1989-1991). Meiklejohn was Minister Responsible for Saskatchewan Research Council (1986-1989); Meewasin Valley Authority (1986-1991); Agricultural Implements Board (1988-1989); Future Corporation (1989); Saskatchewan Gaming Commission (1989); Teachers' Superannuation Commission (1989-1991); Saskatchewan Communications Advanced Network (1989-1990); and the Status of Women (1990-1991).

After losing his seat in the 1991 provincial general election to Carol Teichrob (NDP), Meiklejohn worked as a scholarship trust fund representative and pager salesman for Rogers Cantel in Saskatoon.

Meiklejohn is currently (2006) semi-retired and resides in Platteville, Wisconsin, where his wife, Carol Sue Butts, is Provost and Vice-Chancellor of the University of Wisconsin-Platteville.

Meiklejohn has three children with his first wife, Maidra Creswell: Laurel Rae, Elliott Craig and Catherine Elizabeth. He married Dr. Carol Sue Butts on October 6, 1990.

Résultats 31 à 40 sur 7732