- Local Government
In 1913 a tree nursery station and model farm opened in the community of Sutherland under the federal Department of the Interior, Forestry Branch. In addition to fields for the planting and harvesting of trees, the site included staff residences, tree packing and storage areas, a pumphouse for the irrigation system, a greenhouse, botanists’ research facility, a blacksmith shop, and a barn. When the Sutherland Forest Nursery Station was closed in 1966, a portion of the site was reopened as the Forestry Farm Park by the City of Saskatoon. In 1972 a zoo featuring indigenous animals opened adjacent to the old nursery station buildings. The site was designated a National Historic Site on Jun 22, 1990.