Showing 7918 results

People and organizations

Canada. Office of the Registrar General of Canada

  • GA 3
  • Secondary Agency
  • 1868-1966

The Registrar General was established in 1868 under the Department of the Secretary of State of Canada, which was the precursor to the federal Department of the Interior. It kept the Great Seal of Canada, the Privy Seal of the Governor General, the Seal of the Administrator of Canada, and the Seal of the Registrar General of Canada, and registered all documents that might require the Great Seal or federal Crown registration. Until 1881 the Registrar General's duties included the maintenance of records produced in the land patenting process and the processing of land applications from institutions. This duty was then handed to the Department of the Interior's Lands Patent Branch. In 1883 all lands patent duties that fell under the auspices of the Dominion Lands Act (1872) were transferred from the Registrar General to the Lands Patent Branch. In 1966 the Registrar General became the Department of the Registrar General, a short-lived autonomous government department.

Canada. Lands Patent Branch

  • GA 5
  • Secondary Agency
  • 1881-1930

The Lands Patent Branch was originally established in 1881 to maintain the records produced in the land patenting process and to process land applications from institutions. It was originally administered from a central office in Ottawa, but an office was later opened in Winnipeg and local field staff assumed many of the lands patent duties. In 1883, the Lands Patent Branch took over the full functions of a land registry office in relation to federally-controlled western lands. Previously, many of these duties had been administered by the Office of the Registrar General of Canada, part of the Department of the Secretary of State of Canada. In 1928, the name of the agency was changed to Lands Patent Division. In 1930, the Lands Patent Division was dissolved when the provinces took over the responsibility for all unconveyed lands.

Saskatchewan. Government Finance Office

  • GA 9
  • Primary Agency
  • 1947-1978

When the CCF government of T.C. Douglas was elected in July of 1944 there was a dramatic shift in the province's public policy. The creation of the Government Finance Office to oversee Crown Corporations was intended to expand and diversify the provincial economy with the greatest benefit given to the Saskatchewan taxpayer.

Under part two of the Crown Corporations Act of 1947 the government of the day created the Government Finance Office as the holding company for existing crown corporations. The first corporations to fall under the authority of the Government Finance Office had been created by order-in-council in 1945 as independent entities; however, under the amended Crown Corporations Act of 1947, the corporations were governed by part 2 of the Act. The crowns included the Saskatchewan Reconstruction Corporation, Saskatchewan Minerals, Saskatchewan Government Printing Company, Saskatchewan Reconstruction Housing Corporation, Saskatchewan Fur Marketing Service, Saskatchewan Transportation Company, Saskatchewan Lake and Forest Products Corporation, Saskatchewan Industries and Saskatchewan Government Insurance Office.

The Government Finance Office assumed all liabilities and assets by crowns to be used for public enterprises. The Lieutenant Governor had the authority to appoint at least three members of the Office. Those first members were appointed in April 1947, C.M Fines, Provincial Treasurer, J.H. Brocklebank, Minister of Municipal Affairs, O.W. Valleau, Provincial Secretary, as well as T. Lax, Deputy Provincial Treasurer and G.W. Cadbury, Chief Industrial Executive.

In May of 1964 the Liberals, led by W. Ross Thatcher, were elected. The Government Finance Office, while still responsible for arranging capital financing and administrative services for the Crowns, began to privatise certain ventures. This included part of Saskatchewan Minerals, the Saskatchewan Clay Products Division (as of 1966 Estevan Brick Limited) as well as withdrawing from the Industrial Development Fund, created under part 3 of the Crown Corporations Act, with an amendment to the Act in 1966.

June 1971 saw another shift in government with the election of The NDP and Allan E. Blakeney as premier. The Government Finance Office expanded the number of crown corporations within its mandate, including Saskatchewan Computer Utility (SaskComp) and the Saskatchewan Water Supply Board (SWSB). The reinvigorated Office continued to act as the intermediary between government and the crowns to ensure that the fiscal requirements of the crowns were consistent with prudent financial planning.

By 1977 the Office offered co-ordinated management services to all crowns of the government whether service or resource based. These included Potash Corporation of Saskatchewan, Saskatchewan Mining Development Corporation, Saskatchewan Minerals, Saskatchewan Forest Products and Saskatchewan Oil and Gas Corporation. Within the financial and services area the Office offered administrative services to Saskatchewan Government Insurance Office, Saskatchewan Economic Development Corporation, Saskatchewan Development Fund Corporation, the Municipal Financing Corporation of Saskatchewan, Agricultural Development Corporation of Saskatchewan, Saskatchewan Transportation Company, Saskatchewan Government Printing Company and Saskatchewan Fur Marketing Service. The GFO also had a broader role in the management of the major public utilities Saskatchewan Power Corporation (SPC) and Saskatchewan Telecommunications (SaskTel).

With an eye to the future the government reorganised the Government Finance Office, so as to better serve the publicly owned corporations, in 1978 and renamed the office the Crown Investments Corporation of Saskatchewan (CIC).

Saskatchewan. Lands Branch

  • GA 37
  • Secondary Agency
  • 1931-

From 1930 to 1947 the Lands Branch, and grant and lease functions, were part of the Department of Natural Resources (later the Department of Natural Resources and Industrial Development.) The initial legislation (The Provincial Lands Act, 1931 and The Land Utilization Act, 1935) and the legacy of the Federal Department of the Interior, which previously held jurisdiction over these responsibilities, provided the framework for Crown Land lease and sale accounting and administration. While the Lands Branch was part of the Department of Natural Resources, the Provincial Lands Division and then (in 1932) the Lands Patent Division carried out the grants and transfer of land. This included handling enquiries, application forms, payments, agreements and recording the disposition of land.

In 1948, control of the Lands Branch was transferred to the Department of Agriculture, which subsequently changed the responsibility for many of the functions from the Land Utilization Division to the Inspection Services Division. During the 1960s, The Agriculture Rehabilitation and Development Act resulted in many of the grants and leases only being permitted for projects related to the development and conservation of water supplies, soil improvement, and /or agricultural efficiency.

In 1975, the Lands Disposition and Records Division of the Lands Branch became responsible for land grants and transfers - by advertising land for lease/sale, by preparing land transfers, and by maintaining the records of lands. In 1984-1985, a reorganization of the Lands Branch saw many of these functions split between the Field Operations and Support Services divisions.

The transfer of the Lands Branch back to the Department of Agriculture and Food in 1993 resulted in another reorganization, splitting the control of leases and sales amongst geographically oriented divisions (i.e. northwest, south). In 1993-1994 the Branch operated under the Financial Support and Program Management Division as part of the Lands and Regulatory Management Branch. This Branch had a broader mandate, including livestock health and operations. With the abolishment of the Crow's Nest Pass annual railways subsidy in February 1995, Lands Branch assumed responsibility for management of the provincial share of the federal payout and amended rental rates on Crown agricultural leases.

In 1996, the splitting of the Lands and Regulatory Management Branch into three branches (Livestock and Veterinary Operations, Pasture, and Lands) resulted in Lands Branch becoming part of the Program and Services Division, where it remained until April 2005. This change marked the first time that the Lands Branch did not hold responsibility for the administration of provincial pastures and the Community Pastures Program. The responsibility was returned to the Branch in 2001 with the amalgamation of Pastures and Lands Branches.

In 2000, the stated mandate of Lands Branch was "to promote the sustainable and integrated use of Crown land while providing opportunities for diversification and economic growth." Between April 2002 and May 2004 the Department operated as the Department of Agriculture, Food and Rural Revitalization. Currently (2011) Lands Branch resides in the Ministry of Agriculture. While the Branch has experienced changes in its structure and in policy and program development, the basic function regarding the administration, sale and lease of Crown lands has not substantially altered throughout its history.

Everton School District No. 4715, 1927-1971

  • LGA 83
  • Local Government
  • 1927-1971

On March 6, 1926, ratepayers in the Archerwell district of Saskatchewan selected a committee to handle the establishment of a school district. The first organizational meeting was held on June 27, 1927. J. Westburg, W. Allgrove and Sydney Cooper were elected Trustees of the proposed district. Everton School District No. 4715 was officially organized July 21, 1927.

The school was administered by three elected trustees, one of whom served as chairman, and a secretary-treasurer. The responsibilities of the school board included selecting and acquiring a school site and contracting the building of a school house; furnishing and maintaining the school, school grounds, buildings and equipment; engaging qualified teachers; providing books, globes, maps, and other supplies to teachers and students; administering grants; settling disputes; and maintaining school records and accounts.

The school district joined the Wadena Larger School Unit No. 46 in June 1946. In June 1959, The Everton School was closed. June 10, 1971, the district was officially disorganized.

StarPhoenix, 1928-

  • PA 08
  • Corporate
  • 1928-

The StarPhoenix daily newspaper was created in 1928 as the result of the amalgamation of two different newspapers in Saskatoon, The Daily Phoenix and The Daily Star serving central and northern Saskatchewan.

The Daily Phoenix was started as Saskatoon's first printed newspaper, the Saskatoon Phenix on October 17, 1902 by the Norman brothers G. Wesley and Leonard. It was purchased by a company headed by Dr. J.H.C. Willoughby in 1905 and sold shortly after to J.A. Aiken who changed the name to The Daily Phoenix. The Daily Star began May 12, 1906 as a weekly publication called The Capital owned by G.M. Thompson and C.E. Tyron. It became a daily issue in 1909 and changed ownership to W.F. Herman and Talmage Lawson in March of 1912 who then named it the Daily Star.

In the fall of 1918, Northern Publishers, a subsidiary of the Leader Publishing Company in Regina, bought the Daily Phoenix. On January 31, 1923 the Meilicke family who were shareholders in the Leader Publishing Company purchased both The Daily Star and The Daily Phoenix. Both publications were then sold to Clifford Sifton on January 1, 1928 and were amalgamated into one newspaper named the Star-Phoenix on September 12 of that year. The Sifton family continued ownership until February 27, 1996 when the paper was sold to Hollinger Newspapers. The StarPhoenix was purchased by CanWest Global Communications Corporation on July 31, 2000.

In its history the newspaper's title heading has appeared in various forms, including Saskatoon Star-Phoenix and Star Phoenix, but the current presentation is StarPhoenix.

Rural Municipality of Invergordon No. 430, 1911-

  • LGA 34
  • Local Government
  • 1911-

On June 16, 1911 a municipal committee of five members petitioned the Minister of Municipal Affairs for authority to proceed with the organization of a rural municipality in the area in townships 43, 44, 45a and 45 in range 22 and townships 43, 44 and 45 in ranges 23 and 24, west of the second meridian. The area consisted of 326 square miles with a population of 372. The Minister of Municipal Affairs granted approval and the Rural Municipality of Invergordon No. 430 was incorporated on December 11, 1911 pursuant to the Municipalities Act. The first municipal council consisted of reeve David Sutherland and six councillors. The first secretary-treasurer was W.E. Brock. The rural municipality, located approximately 50 kilometres southeast of Prince Albert, encompasses the communities of Crystal Springs, Tway, Meskanaw and Yellow Creek.

The municipal office is located in Crystal Springs. The rural municipality is responsible for providing public utilities and services, such as water, sewage disposal, heat, electrical power and waste management. It is also responsible for preparing assessment rolls and financial statements; collecting taxes; maintaining roads; preventing cruelty to animals and passing and enforcing by-laws. The municipality is currently (2009) administered by a reeve, six councillors and an administrator. The Council meeting is held on the second Wednesday of the month. The current population is 570.

Rural Municipality of Laird No. 404, 1910-

  • LGA 33
  • Local Government
  • 1910-

The Rural Municipality of Laird No. 404 of Saskatchewan was incorporated on December 12, 1910 pursuant to the Rural Municipalities Act (S.S. 1908-09, c.6). The first reeve elected was C. Unruh. The first councillors were D. Peters, J.D. Neufeldt, J.B. Peters, A.P. Dickman, J.J. Gossen and J.J. Janzen. The first secretary-treasurer was John A. Funk. The municipality, located north of Saskatoon, encompasses the town of Waldheim and the village of Hepburn. It serves the area located in ranges 5, 6 and 7, west of the third meridian, townships 40 to 44. The North Saskatchewan River runs through the municipality, which was possibly named after David Laird, the first Lieutenant Governor of the North-West Territories.

The municipal office is located in Waldheim. The municipality is currently (2009) administered by a reeve, six councillors and an administrator, previously known as the secretary-treasurer. Their responsibilities include passing by-laws, maintaining cemeteries, collecting taxes, assisting in maintaining hospitals and roads and preventing cruelty to animals. The Council meets once per month.

The population in the rural municipality has remained relatively stable. In 1927, there were 2848 residents. The population remained strong into the 1950s, when a slight decline occurred. The population as of 2009 is 1136.

Leader (Sask.), 1917-

  • LGA 38
  • Local Government
  • 1917-

The Town of Prussia was an urban municipality incorporated on May 1, 1917. The name of the town was changed to Leader on November 1, 1917. Leader is an agricultural based community located thirty kilometres east of the Saskatchewan / Alberta border in southwestern Saskatchewan. It is located on NE21-22-26-W3 in Happyland Rural Municipality No. 231.

The town is governed by an elected council that can hire staff to manage daily administration and maintain municipal services, such as roads, utilities and recreation facilities. The responsibilities of the council include enforcing bylaws; waste collection/landfill; fire protection; maintaining public utilities, roads and streets; issuing tax and assessment notices and collecting taxes and other fees.

The town is currently (2007) administered by a mayor, six councilors and an administrator. Councilors sit on various committees, as follows: General Government Services; Protective Services; Transportation Services; Environmental Health and Development; Recreation and Cultural Services and Utilities.

Allan Rural Telephone Company, 1908-1976

  • LGA 08
  • Local Government
  • 1908-1976

In December 1908, a meeting took place to organize a rural telephone company in Allan, SK and a provisional board of directors was chosen. It was decided that committees would canvass the rural areas near Allan to secure subscriptions to this service. On January 9, 1909, the first meeting of the provisional board of directors took place, with J.A. Beaver as president, Fred B. Williams as secretary-treasurer. The first stockholder's meeting took place on June 19, 1909, when W.F. Vawter was formally elected president and Fred B. Williams elected secretary-treasurer. Directors elected for each circuit and the town were W.E. Redick, M. Loran, R.E. Beaver, W.F. Vawter, N. Lang, F.B. Doan, Stanley Bowser and N.F. Allan.

Regulated by the Saskatchewan Government Telephones Department, the company proceeded to construct telephone lines in the area serving the town and surrounding district. The board of directors decided on rates, telephone extension applications, contracts and salaries.

In 1954, the Allan Rural Telephone Co. and the Allan East Rural Telephone Co. (incorp. 1920) were amalgamated as the Allan East Rural Telephone Co. During 1957, the Elstow Rural Telephone Co. (incorp. 1910) held joint meetings with the Allan East Rural Telephone Co. and on January 25, 1958, these two companies were amalgamated. At this same meeting, it was decided that the name be changed to the Allan Rural Telephone Co.

In 1976, SaskTel offered to absorb this company and it was unanimously accepted by all subscribers at a general meeting on December 14, 1976.

Results 1 to 10 of 7918