Affichage de 7276 résultats

Notice d'autorité

Shillington, Edward Blain (Ned), 1944-

  • PA 6
  • Individual
  • 1944-

Born August 28, 1944 on a farm near Caron, Saskatchewan, Edward Blain 'Ned' Shillington received his early education at Grayburn Public School. He attended St. Louis High School in Moose Jaw, and graduated from the University of Saskatchewan with Bachelor degrees in Arts and Law in 1967. Shillington articled in Regina and practiced law in Moosomin from 1968-1971 prior to entering politics.

After a failed attempt to win a seat for the New Democratic Party in Moosomin in 1970, Shillington was appointed Executive Assistant to the Attorney-General in 1971, and served in this position until 1975.

First elected to the Saskatchewan Legislative Assembly as a New Democratic Party member for Regina Centre Constituency in 1975, Shillington later served as MLA for the Regina Churchill-Downs and Regina Northeast Constituency until his retirement in July 1999.

He has held numerous Cabinet portfolios in the Blakeney and Romanow Governments: Minister of Co-operation and Co-operative Development (1975-1977), Minister of Consumer Affairs (1975-1976), Minister of Government Services (1976-1978), Minister of Culture and Youth (1977-1980), Minister of Education (1978-1979), Associate Minister of Finance (1992,1995), Minister Responsible for Saskatchewan Property Management Corporation (1992), Associate Minister of Finance (1992, 1995), Minister of Labour (1992-1995), Minister of Justice and Attorney General (1995), Minister of Intergovernmental Relations (1995-1996), Provincial Secretary (1995-1998), and Minister of Intergovernmental Affairs (1996-1997).

After leaving politics Shillington worked as a consultant on legislative process for PriceWaterhouseCoopers in Regina. In June 2000 he became Vice-President of Points West Consulting Inc. responsible for the Alberta Region. He held that position until May 31, 2002, when he became an investment manager of a privately owned investment fund.

Shillington married Sonia (Koroscil) in 1970; they have two children, Ryan and Tara. The Shillingtons currently (2010) reside in Calgary, Alberta where Shillington is a private securities investor.

Saskatchewan Human Rights Commission

  • GA 1
  • Primary Agency
  • 1972-

The Saskatchewan Human Rights Commission was established in 1972, and five people were appointed by the Lieutenant-Governor-in-Council to serve five-year terms as Commissioners. The head office, located in Saskatoon, was opened in early 1973. Branch offices were opened in Regina in June of 1974, and in Prince Albert in October of 1974.

The Commission's mandate initially stated it was to administer equality and anti-discrimination legislation in Saskatchewan in the areas of housing, employment, employment applications and advertisements, public accommodation and education on the grounds of race, creed, religion, colour, sex, nationality or place of origin. In addition, the Commission also championed anti-discrimination education and awareness campaigns.

The Commission was charged with the responsibility for investigating complaints. Complaints were separated into formal and informal. A commission officer investigated alleged complaints of discrimination by interviewing witnesses and examining documentation. However, if a resolution was not reached at this informal stage, the Commission would then hold a formal inquiry into the complaint. If the complaint was proven, the defendant could be ordered to pay restitution to the complainant. Appeals to commission orders could be filed in the Court of Queen's Bench.

The Saskatchewan Human Rights Code was enacted as legislation effective 7 August 1979. Part One of the Code enshrined the fundamental rights of citizens in Saskatchewan protecting "the right to freedom of conscience, religion, expression, and association, the right to vote in provincial elections and the right to freedom from arbitrary arrest or detention". Part Two prohibits "discriminatory policies and practices in employment, education, public services, housing, contracts, publications, professional association and trade unions". The Act made it illegal to discriminate in any of the outlined areas, expanding on the 1972 definitions, on the basis of "age, ancestry, race or colour, family status, marital status, nationality or place of origin, physical or mental disability, receipt of public assistance, religion or creed, sex (covers sexual harassment and pregnancy discrimination) and sexual orientation". The Commission was further empowered to approve and encourage equity programs. In addition, the education and awareness programs were strengthened in the Code to further the principles of equality and diversity.

Due to budget constraints the Prince Albert office was closed in 1986. However, the 2000 annual report indicated that the Chief Commissioner was concerned that northern residents were not being adequately represented and met with community leaders, along with the Provincial Ombudsman and the Children's Advocate, to understand what the residents of the north need in terms of support from the Commission.

In May 2000 a bill was introduced to amend the Saskatchewan Human Rights Code. The amendments were the result of a survey conducted in 1996 entitled Renewing the Vision - Human Rights in Saskatchewan. The intention was to streamline the complaint process and change some of the terms of discrimination and create a human rights tribunal panel to enforce the provisions of the code.

The Commission continues to be busy at both the Saskatoon and Regina offices. As definitions of rights and freedoms continue to evolve, the Commission has a vital role in the lives of the citizens of Saskatchewan.

The Saskatchewan Human Rights Commission reports to the Minister of Justice.

Everton School District No. 4715, 1927-1971

  • LGA 83
  • Local Government
  • 1927-1971

On March 6, 1926, ratepayers in the Archerwell district of Saskatchewan selected a committee to handle the establishment of a school district. The first organizational meeting was held on June 27, 1927. J. Westburg, W. Allgrove and Sydney Cooper were elected Trustees of the proposed district. Everton School District No. 4715 was officially organized July 21, 1927.

The school was administered by three elected trustees, one of whom served as chairman, and a secretary-treasurer. The responsibilities of the school board included selecting and acquiring a school site and contracting the building of a school house; furnishing and maintaining the school, school grounds, buildings and equipment; engaging qualified teachers; providing books, globes, maps, and other supplies to teachers and students; administering grants; settling disputes; and maintaining school records and accounts.

The school district joined the Wadena Larger School Unit No. 46 in June 1946. In June 1959, The Everton School was closed. June 10, 1971, the district was officially disorganized.

StarPhoenix, 1928-

  • PA 08
  • Corporate
  • 1928-

The StarPhoenix daily newspaper was created in 1928 as the result of the amalgamation of two different newspapers in Saskatoon, The Daily Phoenix and The Daily Star serving central and northern Saskatchewan.

The Daily Phoenix was started as Saskatoon's first printed newspaper, the Saskatoon Phenix on October 17, 1902 by the Norman brothers G. Wesley and Leonard. It was purchased by a company headed by Dr. J.H.C. Willoughby in 1905 and sold shortly after to J.A. Aiken who changed the name to The Daily Phoenix. The Daily Star began May 12, 1906 as a weekly publication called The Capital owned by G.M. Thompson and C.E. Tyron. It became a daily issue in 1909 and changed ownership to W.F. Herman and Talmage Lawson in March of 1912 who then named it the Daily Star.

In the fall of 1918, Northern Publishers, a subsidiary of the Leader Publishing Company in Regina, bought the Daily Phoenix. On January 31, 1923 the Meilicke family who were shareholders in the Leader Publishing Company purchased both The Daily Star and The Daily Phoenix. Both publications were then sold to Clifford Sifton on January 1, 1928 and were amalgamated into one newspaper named the Star-Phoenix on September 12 of that year. The Sifton family continued ownership until February 27, 1996 when the paper was sold to Hollinger Newspapers. The StarPhoenix was purchased by CanWest Global Communications Corporation on July 31, 2000.

In its history the newspaper's title heading has appeared in various forms, including Saskatoon Star-Phoenix and Star Phoenix, but the current presentation is StarPhoenix.

Scott, Lorne, 1947-

  • PA 11
  • Individual
  • 1947-

Lorne Scott, born to Reginald and Gertrude Scott on May 19, 1947, is originally from Indian Head, Saskatchewan. He is a Grade 12 graduate. Scott worked for the Saskatchewan Museum of Natural History from 1967 to 1975, and for Wascana Centre Authority from 1975 to 1991. At the Wascana Centre Authority Scott was a park naturalist whose duties included conducting school tours to Wascana Marsh, holding slide shows, and looking after geese and injured birds and animals. Throughout this period Scott also operated a farm in the Indian Head area.

Lorne Scott has been involved with a number of conservation and wildlife groups. He has served as the president of the Saskatchewan Wildlife Federation, the Saskatchewan Natural History Society, and the only Canadian president of the Whooping Crane Conservation Association. He is also a member of the Saskatchewan and Canadian Wildlife Federations, Ducks Unlimited, the Canadian Nature Federation, and the World Wildlife Federation. He is a past winner of the Douglas H. Pimlott award from the Canadian Nature Federation and the Roland Michener Conservation Award from the Canadian Wildlife Federation. He has also been named one of Canada's leading environmentalists by Outdoor Canada magazine.

Scott has two children, Heidi and Adam.

Lorne Scott was first elected to the Legislative Assembly as the member representing the Indian Head-Milestone constituency in 1991. He was re-elected in 1995 and was appointed Minister of Saskatchewan Environment and Resource Management (SERM). He held this portfolio until 1999, when he lost his seat as an MLA in the provincial election. Since 1999, he has served as the Executive Director of the Saskatchewan Wildlife Federation, where he is an outspoken advocate for many environmental issues, including the controversial issue of game farming.

Petersen, Axel C., 1903-1991

  • PA 12
  • Individual
  • 1903-1991

Axel C. Petersen was born in Denmark in 1903 and came to Canada in 1926. He was employed as an agent with the Saskatchewan Wheat Pool in Landis, Saskatchewan for many years. In 1953, he moved to Regina, where he worked as a public relations officer for the Hotels Association of Saskatchewan until his retirement in 1973.

Petersen was active in various organizations, including the Saskatchewan Tourism Association; the Royal Danish Guards and the Scandinavian Clubs in Regina and Saskatoon. Petersen's lifelong hobby was photography and he often presented slide shows of his work to various groups.

Petersen died in Regina on March 27, 1991.

Petersen did not marry or have children.

Simard, Louise, 1947-

  • PA 10
  • Individual
  • 1947-

Rose Marie Louise Simard was born on April 17, 1947 in Val d'Or, Quebec. Simard grew up in Meadow Lake, Saskatchewan, graduating from Carpenter High School in 1965. She attended the University of Saskatchewan from 1965 to 1970, earning Bachelor of Arts (Philosophy) and Bachelor of Laws degrees.

Louise Simard articled in Regina and was admitted to the Bar in 1971. She has practiced as legal counsel in both the public and private sector during her career. Simard became the first female Legislative Council and Law Clerk for the province of Saskatchewan in 1974, prior to setting up her own law firm in 1978.

Active in many community organizations, Simard has delivered speeches on family and matrimonial property law, real estate law, law and poverty, and human rights. She was appointed a member of the Attorney General's Committee on the Consolidation of the Queen's Bench and District Courts in 1979. She also served as vice-chair of the Saskatchewan Human Rights Commission and as consumer representative on the Counsel of the College of Physicians and Surgeons from 1982-1985. Other past service includes board membership with the Saskatchewan Lung Association, the Canadian Nurses Association, and honourary membership with the Saskatchewan Registered Nurses' Association. Simard is a member of the Canadian Medical Association Task Force on Physician Supply in Canada and the Canadian College of Health Services Executives.

Simard was first elected New Democratic Party (NDP) Member of the Legislative Assembly for the Regina Lakeview constituency in 1986. She served as Opposition Health Critic as well as critic for the Saskatchewan Power Corporation, women's issues, the Human Rights Commission and the Ombudsman.

In 1991, after re-election in the Regina Hillsdale constituency Simard became a Cabinet minister in the Roy Romanow government, serving as Minister of Health and Minister Responsible for the Status of Women from 1991 to 1995. Simard introduced the wellness model of health care, involving extensive reforms to the health care system, hospital closures in rural Saskatchewan and the establishment of health districts and boards.

On February 3, 1995, Simard resigned from Cabinet and retired from political life the following year. She joined the law firm of McPherson, Leslie and Tyerman in April 1995.

In 2000 Simard was appointed President and Chief Executive Officer the Saskatchewan Association of Health Organizations (SAHO). Simard left this position in December 2003 to become President and Chief Executive Officer of the Health Employers Association of British Columbia. She continues (2007) in this capacity and currently resides in Vancouver.

Louise Simard has two children, Paul and Marin from her first marriage.

Rural Municipality of Invergordon No. 430, 1911-

  • LGA 34
  • Local Government
  • 1911-

On June 16, 1911 a municipal committee of five members petitioned the Minister of Municipal Affairs for authority to proceed with the organization of a rural municipality in the area in townships 43, 44, 45a and 45 in range 22 and townships 43, 44 and 45 in ranges 23 and 24, west of the second meridian. The area consisted of 326 square miles with a population of 372. The Minister of Municipal Affairs granted approval and the Rural Municipality of Invergordon No. 430 was incorporated on December 11, 1911 pursuant to the Municipalities Act. The first municipal council consisted of reeve David Sutherland and six councillors. The first secretary-treasurer was W.E. Brock. The rural municipality, located approximately 50 kilometres southeast of Prince Albert, encompasses the communities of Crystal Springs, Tway, Meskanaw and Yellow Creek.

The municipal office is located in Crystal Springs. The rural municipality is responsible for providing public utilities and services, such as water, sewage disposal, heat, electrical power and waste management. It is also responsible for preparing assessment rolls and financial statements; collecting taxes; maintaining roads; preventing cruelty to animals and passing and enforcing by-laws. The municipality is currently (2009) administered by a reeve, six councillors and an administrator. The Council meeting is held on the second Wednesday of the month. The current population is 570.

Newnham, Jervois Arthur, 1852-1941

  • PA 19
  • Individual
  • 1852-1941

Jervois Arthur Newnham was born October 15, 1852 in Somerset, England. He came to Montreal in 1873 where he received his B.A. (1878) and M.A. (1883) from McGill University. In 1890 with the support of the Anglican Church Missionary Society (CMS) Newnham began work at Moose Factory, Ontario, where he started learning the Cree language. Following the death of Bishop Horden, Jervois Newnham was consecrated as Bishop of Moosonee, in Ontario, serving from 1893 to 1903.

In 1903 Newnham was translated to the position of Bishop of Saskatchewan, arriving in Prince Albert, the seat of the Diocese of Saskatchewan, in1904. He travelled extensively in the diocese covering 4,000 miles within the territory during the first year. His residence was "Bishopthorpe" (2015 - 2nd Avenue West, Prince Albert) which he shared with his wife and five daughters, Georgina, Hazel, May, Kathleen and Dorothea. Jervois Newnham served as Bishop of the Diocese of Saskatchewan, Anglican Church of Canada from 1903-1921. He resigned effective October 15, 1921 and moved to Clifton, Bedfordshire, England, to be Rector at All Saints' Church. In 1925 he retired to Hamilton, Ontario where he died January 11, 1941.

Calvert, Lorne, 1952-

  • PA 276
  • Individual
  • 1952-

Lorne Albert Calvert was born on December 24, 1952 in Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan to Albert Calvert and Beulah (Phillips) Calvert. He earned a Bachelor of Arts (Economics) degree from the University of Regina and a Bachelor of Divinity (Theology) degree from St. Andrew's College, University of Saskatchewan.

In 1976, Calvert was ordained in the United Church of Canada and served various congregations in rural Saskatchewan. He was Minister of Zion United Church in Moose Jaw from 1979 to 1986.

Calvert was first elected to the Saskatchewan Legislature in 1986 and served as a New Democratic Party Member of the Legislative Assembly (MLA) for the Moose Jaw South (1986-1991) and Moose Jaw Wakamow (1991-1999) constituencies. He was elected MLA for the Saskatoon Riversdale constituency in 2001.

Calvert served in the Roy Romanow Government from 1992 to 1998 as Associate Minister of Health (1992-1995); Minister of Health (1995) and Minister of Social Services (1995-1998). Calvert was Minister Responsible for Saskatchewan Power Corporation (1992-1993); SaskEnergy Inc. (1992-1993); Souris Basin Development Authority (1992-1993); Wakamow Valley Authority (1992-1998); Health Services Utilization and Research Commission (1995); Public Service Commission (1995-1998); Seniors (1995-1998); and Disabilities Directorate (1997-1998).

Calvert resigned from Cabinet in 1998 and did not run in the 1999 provincial general election. He worked as a social policy advisor to Premier Romanow from 1999 to 2000. Calvert was elected Leader of the Saskatchewan New Democratic Party on January 27, 2001 and became Premier of Saskatchewan and President of the Executive Council on February 8, 2001. He was re-elected in the 2003 general election and served as Premier of Saskatchewan until his Government was defeated in the 2007 general election by the Saskatchewan Party. Calvert announced his retirement as party leader and MLA on October 16, 2008 and was succeeded as leader by Dwain Lingenfelter on June 6, 2009.

Calvert currently (2009) is Principal of St. Andrew's College at the University of Saskatchewan.

Lorne Calvert married Betty Anne Sluzalo on October 25, 1975. They have two children: David Lorne and Stephanie Anne.

Résultats 11 à 20 sur 7276