Showing 6899 results

Authority record

Saskatchewan. Government Finance Office

  • GA 9
  • Primary Agency
  • 1947-1978

When the CCF government of T.C. Douglas was elected in July of 1944 there was a dramatic shift in the province's public policy. The creation of the Government Finance Office to oversee Crown Corporations was intended to expand and diversify the provincial economy with the greatest benefit given to the Saskatchewan taxpayer.

Under part two of the Crown Corporations Act of 1947 the government of the day created the Government Finance Office as the holding company for existing crown corporations. The first corporations to fall under the authority of the Government Finance Office had been created by order-in-council in 1945 as independent entities; however, under the amended Crown Corporations Act of 1947, the corporations were governed by part 2 of the Act. The crowns included the Saskatchewan Reconstruction Corporation, Saskatchewan Minerals, Saskatchewan Government Printing Company, Saskatchewan Reconstruction Housing Corporation, Saskatchewan Fur Marketing Service, Saskatchewan Transportation Company, Saskatchewan Lake and Forest Products Corporation, Saskatchewan Industries and Saskatchewan Government Insurance Office.

The Government Finance Office assumed all liabilities and assets by crowns to be used for public enterprises. The Lieutenant Governor had the authority to appoint at least three members of the Office. Those first members were appointed in April 1947, C.M Fines, Provincial Treasurer, J.H. Brocklebank, Minister of Municipal Affairs, O.W. Valleau, Provincial Secretary, as well as T. Lax, Deputy Provincial Treasurer and G.W. Cadbury, Chief Industrial Executive.

In May of 1964 the Liberals, led by W. Ross Thatcher, were elected. The Government Finance Office, while still responsible for arranging capital financing and administrative services for the Crowns, began to privatise certain ventures. This included part of Saskatchewan Minerals, the Saskatchewan Clay Products Division (as of 1966 Estevan Brick Limited) as well as withdrawing from the Industrial Development Fund, created under part 3 of the Crown Corporations Act, with an amendment to the Act in 1966.

June 1971 saw another shift in government with the election of The NDP and Allan E. Blakeney as premier. The Government Finance Office expanded the number of crown corporations within its mandate, including Saskatchewan Computer Utility (SaskComp) and the Saskatchewan Water Supply Board (SWSB). The reinvigorated Office continued to act as the intermediary between government and the crowns to ensure that the fiscal requirements of the crowns were consistent with prudent financial planning.

By 1977 the Office offered co-ordinated management services to all crowns of the government whether service or resource based. These included Potash Corporation of Saskatchewan, Saskatchewan Mining Development Corporation, Saskatchewan Minerals, Saskatchewan Forest Products and Saskatchewan Oil and Gas Corporation. Within the financial and services area the Office offered administrative services to Saskatchewan Government Insurance Office, Saskatchewan Economic Development Corporation, Saskatchewan Development Fund Corporation, the Municipal Financing Corporation of Saskatchewan, Agricultural Development Corporation of Saskatchewan, Saskatchewan Transportation Company, Saskatchewan Government Printing Company and Saskatchewan Fur Marketing Service. The GFO also had a broader role in the management of the major public utilities Saskatchewan Power Corporation (SPC) and Saskatchewan Telecommunications (SaskTel).

With an eye to the future the government reorganised the Government Finance Office, so as to better serve the publicly owned corporations, in 1978 and renamed the office the Crown Investments Corporation of Saskatchewan (CIC).

Saskatchewan. Vocational Rehabilitation of Disabled Persons (VRDP) Program

  • GA 55
  • Secondary Agency
  • 1961-1998

An Act Respecting the Vocational Rehabilitation of Disabled Persons and the Co-ordination of Rehabilitation Services was assented to on June 1st of that year and proclaimed in force on December 1, 1961. In operation by in 1962, the Vocational Rehabilitation of Disabled Persons (VRDP) Program was managed as a joint Federal-Provincial/Territorial program to provide assistance and services to disabled persons to train for, seek out or maintain employment.

In 1945 the Saskatchewan Department of Social Welfare sent out a questionnaire to the Secretary-Treasurers of all rural municipalities and local improvement districts to determine the number of "crippled and handicapped persons" in the province who received public aid and were believed to be able to gain sustainable employment given appropriate training and support services. In addition, the Department began studying the methods and programs offered by agencies in order to formulate a plan to accommodate an increase in public demand for training services. In 1946, the Department set up the Civilian Rehabilitation Division to administer a program for the rehabilitation of disabled persons. The services offered were to be the precursors of those offered by the VRDP program. The services included: i) Vocational Diagnosis; ii) Counselling and Guidance; iii) Vocational, Technical and Educational Training; iv) Prosthetics; v) Employment Placement; vi) Auxiliary Services; vii) Public Relations.

This program was a joint venture between the province and municipalities. Municipalities were asked to contribute 50% of costs for the vocational, technical or education training, and prosthetics, the Department of Social Welfare assumed the administration costs.

In 1948, the Department of Public Health made an effort to classify jobs in various hospital industries with a view to organizing certain areas for the accessibility and placement of those occupationally or mentally handicapped. As well, national grants became available to enhance programs associated with the care of children.

The Federal Government called a meeting with the provinces, territories, and private agencies in February, 1951 to discuss the need for a federal-provincial initiative for the rehabilitation of handicapped persons. The main resolution from this meeting urged the establishment of the Civilian Rehabilitation Program for Handicapped Persons to provide suitable allowances, physical restoration, guidance and training. The resultant goal of this initiative was to develop skills and capacities to enable handicapped persons to undertake permanent employment and live a "reasonable life."

In view of the limited resources and shortage of skilled personnel at the time, services were aimed at those individuals capable of "economic independence and social usefulness." Municipalities were invited to share in the costs of restoration, training, tools and equipment; and provide medical, psychiatric and vocational diagnostic services. A conference held later in 1951 established an advisory committee with representatives from the provincial governments, labour, industry, medicine and private organizations.

By 1952 -1953, the Saskatchewan Department of Social Welfare and Rehabilitation was working closely with the Department of Education to arrange for clients to participate in sheltered training workshops. In August, 1953, the Minister of the Department of Social Welfare and Rehabilitation signed an agreement on rehabilitation services for disabled persons, under which the costs of establishing a provincial government office for the co-ordination of these services within the Government of Saskatchewan would be shared on a 50-50 basis with the Federal Government. Saskatchewan was the first province in Canada to sign such an agreement and the first to appoint a Provincial Co-ordinator of Rehabilitation Services.

By 1954 the Department of Public Health participated in a similar program to assist paraplegics in receiving financial assistance, and arrangements for transportation - with efforts being coordinated with the Departments of Public Health, Education and Labour and the Workmen's Compensation Board. Furthermore, in 1954, a federal-provincial agreement was reached with the Federal Department of Labour and the various provincial Departments of Education for the selection and training of disabled persons and for the provision of shared costs for transportation, tuition, books and maintenance of certain disabled persons undergoing vocational training. The provinces were to provide individual evaluations and reviews of cases prior to acceptance into the program.

In 1961 the Federal Government entered into agreements (for six years or less) with individual provinces to supply 50 per-cent of the funding. Provincial and Territorial Governments held discretion as to specific services and individual financing. The program offered the following general services: i) Assessment and counselling; ii) Training and employment placements along with training or maintenance allowances; iii) Assistance in accessing the services and programs and services offered by voluntary organizations who participate in the vocational rehabilitation of disabled persons; iv) Training of persons as counsellors or administrators to carry out programs; and v) Books, tools/equipment and aids.

Additionally the VRDP Program provided funding for certain volunteer agencies that offered individual vocational rehabilitation services (i.e. Canadian Paraplegic Association, Canadian National Institute for the Blind, and Canadian Hearing Society).

In 1964, a Review Committee with representation from the provincial Departments of Welfare, Public Health and Education, and National Employment Services was struck; this committee ultimately reviewed and granted approval for training. This was followed by a review program that gathered information six months and one year after completion of training in order to assist officials in future program planning. [By the end of the program, this follow up period was extended to 36 months.]

In Saskatchewan, the administration of the VRDP program continued the earlier practice of having services to disabled persons offered cooperatively by three provincial departments - Education, Social Services and Health coordinated through a Director of Vocational Rehabilitation. The role of the Department of Social Services was primarily to administer the funds, to handle negotiations between the Federal and Provincial government departments and to provide for sheltered workshops. These workshops encouraged disabled persons to develop work and social skills until they were able either to reach their potential level of independence or to obtain sustainable employment. In addition the Department of Social Services offered the Long-Term Employment Initiative in order to offset the costs of additional supervision and/or job placement and/or job development costs, this included such initiatives as wage subsides and core funding to provincial disability organizations.

The Department of Education administered the funding to applicants for training (unpaid employment training and pre-employment training) and recreation/therapy programs for adults with disabilities. Support for post-secondary education was a major component of the individual vocational rehabilitation programs providing cost sharing for tuition, books and supplies, living allowances and support services such as attendants, interpreters, tutors and technical aids.

Under the Department of Health, the VRDP program provided assistive devices; medical supplies and equipment; alcohol and drug recovery services; individual and group counselling; psychological assessments; and vocational services/training in life skills and job search techniques. The Consultant Medical Social Worker was an officer working within the Department of Health, responsible for receiving referrals to the Program from various agencies and passing along to these agencies the results of the evaluation by the Training Selection Committee.

The VRDP Program, scheduled to end on 31 March 1997, was extended an additional year at a cost of $168 million (nationally) for existing programs while negotiations continued for the development of a suitable programming successor. By October 1997, the Government of Canada and provincial and territorial ministers responsible for social services approved the Employability Assistance for Peoples with Disabilities (EAPD) Initiative.

The Province of Saskatchewan entered into the five-year EAPD agreement with Human Resources Development Canada in March 1998 that allowed for a three-year transition period in which programs and services cost-shared under VRDP could be adjusted to reflect a new employability focus and avoid significant disruptions in client service.

Saskatchewan. Dept. of Natural Resources and Industrial Development

  • GA 13
  • Primary Agency
  • 1944-1950

On November 10, 1944 the Department of Natural Resources was expanded to include an Industrial Development Branch, resulting in the creation of the Department of Natural Resources and Industrial Development.

The department originally consisted of 10 branches, as follows: Forestry, Lands, Mines, Coal Administrator, Fisheries, Game and Fur, Water Rights, Surveys, Parks and Industrial Development.

The Industrial Development Branch was established to promote the general economic utilization of Saskatchewan's natural resources. Provincially-owned and operated industries developed by the Department included: a shoe factory, a tannery, fish filleting plants, a box factory and a fur marketing service.

The Lands Branch at this time was comprised of the Land Patents Division, Cultivated Lands Division, Land Sales Division, and Grazing Lands Division. On May 1, 1945, the Land Utilization Division was established when the function was transferred from the Department of Agriculture.

The following changes occurred in departmental structure between 1947 and 1949:

In the 1946-1947 fiscal year, the Office Administration and Personnel Branch was established within the department. As well, the Construction and Equipment Branch was formed to build roads and fireguards in northern areas. On January 1, 1949 the divisions within this branch became separate branches, the Equipment Branch and the Construction Branch.

Also in 1946-1947, the Parks and Lands Branch was set up to manage provincial parks and lands unsuitable for agricultural or pastoral purposes, including wasteland, forests and lands in the northern mineral belt. In 1948, the administration of agricultural and pastoral lands governed by The Provincial Lands Act and The Land Utilization Act was transferred to the Department of Agriculture.

During the 1947-1948 fiscal year, the Mines Branch reorganized into Mineral Resources Branch with the Coal, Metals, Minerals and Petroleum divisions. These divisions merged in 1950.

Following the creation of Local Improvement District "A" as a vast northern municipal district, the Northern Administration Branch was established in June 1947. While the Department of Health administered health issues, the Branch held responsibility for social aid, old age pensions and child allowances.

A Radio Branch was also formed in 1947.

During 1948-1949 an Office of the Executive Assistant was set up in Prince Albert to provide assistance to the Deputy Minister and Assistant Deputy Minister.

In March 1950, Order-in-Council 503/50 established the Industrial Development Office to promote the development of new industries in Saskatchewan, assist already established industries and publicize the province's resources, opportunities and industrial progress. The old Industrial Development Branch was renamed the Resources Utilization Branch and administered the utilization of industrial minerals.

In 1950, the Department of Natural Resources and Industrial Development reverted to its previous designation as the Department of Natural Resources.

Saskatchewan. Lands Branch

  • GA 37
  • Secondary Agency
  • 1931-

From 1930 to 1947 the Lands Branch, and grant and lease functions, were part of the Department of Natural Resources (later the Department of Natural Resources and Industrial Development.) The initial legislation (The Provincial Lands Act, 1931 and The Land Utilization Act, 1935) and the legacy of the Federal Department of the Interior, which previously held jurisdiction over these responsibilities, provided the framework for Crown Land lease and sale accounting and administration. While the Lands Branch was part of the Department of Natural Resources, the Provincial Lands Division and then (in 1932) the Lands Patent Division carried out the grants and transfer of land. This included handling enquiries, application forms, payments, agreements and recording the disposition of land.

In 1948, control of the Lands Branch was transferred to the Department of Agriculture, which subsequently changed the responsibility for many of the functions from the Land Utilization Division to the Inspection Services Division. During the 1960s, The Agriculture Rehabilitation and Development Act resulted in many of the grants and leases only being permitted for projects related to the development and conservation of water supplies, soil improvement, and /or agricultural efficiency.

In 1975, the Lands Disposition and Records Division of the Lands Branch became responsible for land grants and transfers - by advertising land for lease/sale, by preparing land transfers, and by maintaining the records of lands. In 1984-1985, a reorganization of the Lands Branch saw many of these functions split between the Field Operations and Support Services divisions.

The transfer of the Lands Branch back to the Department of Agriculture and Food in 1993 resulted in another reorganization, splitting the control of leases and sales amongst geographically oriented divisions (i.e. northwest, south). In 1993-1994 the Branch operated under the Financial Support and Program Management Division as part of the Lands and Regulatory Management Branch. This Branch had a broader mandate, including livestock health and operations. With the abolishment of the Crow's Nest Pass annual railways subsidy in February 1995, Lands Branch assumed responsibility for management of the provincial share of the federal payout and amended rental rates on Crown agricultural leases.

In 1996, the splitting of the Lands and Regulatory Management Branch into three branches (Livestock and Veterinary Operations, Pasture, and Lands) resulted in Lands Branch becoming part of the Program and Services Division, where it remained until April 2005. This change marked the first time that the Lands Branch did not hold responsibility for the administration of provincial pastures and the Community Pastures Program. The responsibility was returned to the Branch in 2001 with the amalgamation of Pastures and Lands Branches.

In 2000, the stated mandate of Lands Branch was "to promote the sustainable and integrated use of Crown land while providing opportunities for diversification and economic growth." Between April 2002 and May 2004 the Department operated as the Department of Agriculture, Food and Rural Revitalization. Currently (2011) Lands Branch resides in the Ministry of Agriculture. While the Branch has experienced changes in its structure and in policy and program development, the basic function regarding the administration, sale and lease of Crown lands has not substantially altered throughout its history.

Atkinson, Patricia, 1952-

  • PA 209
  • Individual
  • 1952-

Patricia Atkinson was born on September 27, 1952 in Biggar, Saskatchewan to Robert Roy and Betty Atkinson. She attended Walter Murray Collegiate in Saskatoon and earned Bachelor of Arts (Honours) and Education degrees from the University of Saskatchewan. Atkinson worked as a teacher, union organizer and principal until 1986, when she was first elected to the Saskatchewan Legislature. She served as the New Democratic Party Member of the Legislative Assembly (MLA) for Saskatoon Nutana (1986-1991, 1995 - ) and Saskatoon Broadway (1991-1995) constituencies.

Atkinson served in the Roy Romanow Government as Minister of Social Services (1992-1993); Minister Responsible for Seniors (1992-1993); Minister Responsible for Saskatchewan Legal Aid Commission (1992-1993); Minister of Education, Training and Employment (1993-1995); Minister Responsible for New Careers Corporation (1992-1995); Minister Responsible for Saskatchewan Communications Network Corporation (1993-1995); Minister Responsible for Teachers Superannuation Commission (1993-1998); Minister of Education (1995-1998); Minister of Health (1998-2001); Minister Responsible for Saskatchewan Health Information Network (1998-1999); Minister Responsible for Health Services Utilization and Research Commission (1998-2001); and Minister Responsible for Saskatchewan Cancer Foundation (1998-2001).

Atkinson served in the Lorne Calvert Government as Minister of Highways and Transportation (2001); Minister Responsible for Rural Revitalization (2001); and Deputy Government House Leader (2001). She left Cabinet in October 2001 and returned in 2003, when she was appointed Minister of Crown Management Board (2003-2006); Minister of Advanced Education and Employment (2006-2007); Minister of Finance (2007); Minister Responsible for the Public Service Commission; and Minister Responsible for Immigration.

From 2007 to 2011, Atkinson served as MLA for Saskatoon Nutana and was Deputy Leader of the Opposition and Opposition Critic for Education. In January 2011, she announced her retirement from politics and served in the Legislative Assembly until May 2011. Currently (2011) she continues to reside in Saskatoon.

Pat Atkinson married Kenneth Kutz on December 26, 1981.

MacKinnon, Janice, 1947-

  • PA 217
  • Individual
  • 1947-

Janice MacKinnon was born on January 30, 1947 in Kitchener, Ontario to William and Melinda Potter. She earned a Bachelor of Arts degree from the University of Western Ontario and a Master of Arts degree and doctorate from Queen's University.

Prior to entering provincial politics, MacKinnon was a professor in the History Department of the University of Saskatchewan. She was President of the Saskatoon Co-operative Association and from 1988 to 1990 she was Vice-President of the Saskatchewan New Democratic Party and a political commentator for the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC).

MacKinnon was first elected to the Saskatchewan Legislature in 1991 and served as the New Democratic Party MLA for the Saskatoon Westmount (1991-1995) and Saskatoon Idylwyld (1995-2001) constituencies.

MacKinnon served in the Roy Romanow and Lorne Calvert Governments as Minister of Social Services (1991-1992); Associate Minister of Finance (1992-1993); Minister of Finance (1993-1997); Minister of Economic and Co-operative Development (1997-2001) and Government House Leader (1997-1999).

MacKinnon was Minister Responsible for Crown Investments Corporation (1992-1993, 2001); Seniors (1991-1992); New Careers Corporation (1991-1992); Meewasin Valley Authority (1991-1993); Wanuskewin Heritage Park Corporation (1991-1993); CIC Mineral Interests Corporation (1992-1993); Saskatchewan Gaming Commission (1992-1993);Saskatchewan Pension Plan (1992-1997); NewGrade Energy (1992-1993); Municipal Financing Corporation (1993-1997); Saskatchewan Development Fund Corporation (1993-1997); Saskatchewan Opportunities Corporation (1997-2001); Saskatchewan Government Growth Fund Management Corporation (1997-2001); Tourism Authority (1997-2001); Information Highway (1998-2001); SaskEnergy Inc. (2001); Saskatchewan Power Corporation (2001); Saskatchewan Telecommunications (2001); Saskatchewan Telecommunications Holding Corporation (2001); Saskatchewan Government Insurance (2001); and Saskatchewan Transportation Company (2001).

MacKinnon resigned from Cabinet on March 2, 2001 and vacated her seat in the Saskatchewan Legislature on September 30, 2001. David Forbes (NDP) became the MLA for Saskatoon Idylwyld in the November 8, 2001 by-election.

MacKinnon returned to teaching at the University of Saskatchewan in 2001. In October, 2003, she was appointed to the board of the Institute for Research on Public Policy. MacKinnon has written extensively on public policy and is the author of books on women refugees and political culture, including Minding the Public Purse: The Fiscal Crisis, Political Trade-offs and Canada's Future.

MacKinnon currently (2006) continues to teach at the University of Saskatchewan.

Janice Potter married R. Peter MacKinnon, a lawyer, on April 20, 1974. They have two children: Alan Douglas and William Taylor.

Shillington, Edward Blain (Ned), 1944-

  • PA 6
  • Individual
  • 1944-

Born August 28, 1944 on a farm near Caron, Saskatchewan, Edward Blain 'Ned' Shillington received his early education at Grayburn Public School. He attended St. Louis High School in Moose Jaw, and graduated from the University of Saskatchewan with Bachelor degrees in Arts and Law in 1967. Shillington articled in Regina and practiced law in Moosomin from 1968-1971 prior to entering politics.

After a failed attempt to win a seat for the New Democratic Party in Moosomin in 1970, Shillington was appointed Executive Assistant to the Attorney-General in 1971, and served in this position until 1975.

First elected to the Saskatchewan Legislative Assembly as a New Democratic Party member for Regina Centre Constituency in 1975, Shillington later served as MLA for the Regina Churchill-Downs and Regina Northeast Constituency until his retirement in July 1999.

He has held numerous Cabinet portfolios in the Blakeney and Romanow Governments: Minister of Co-operation and Co-operative Development (1975-1977), Minister of Consumer Affairs (1975-1976), Minister of Government Services (1976-1978), Minister of Culture and Youth (1977-1980), Minister of Education (1978-1979), Associate Minister of Finance (1992,1995), Minister Responsible for Saskatchewan Property Management Corporation (1992), Associate Minister of Finance (1992, 1995), Minister of Labour (1992-1995), Minister of Justice and Attorney General (1995), Minister of Intergovernmental Relations (1995-1996), Provincial Secretary (1995-1998), and Minister of Intergovernmental Affairs (1996-1997).

After leaving politics Shillington worked as a consultant on legislative process for PriceWaterhouseCoopers in Regina. In June 2000 he became Vice-President of Points West Consulting Inc. responsible for the Alberta Region. He held that position until May 31, 2002, when he became an investment manager of a privately owned investment fund.

Shillington married Sonia (Koroscil) in 1970; they have two children, Ryan and Tara. The Shillingtons currently (2010) reside in Calgary, Alberta where Shillington is a private securities investor.

Saskatchewan Human Rights Commission

  • GA 1
  • Primary Agency
  • 1972-

The Saskatchewan Human Rights Commission was established in 1972, and five people were appointed by the Lieutenant-Governor-in-Council to serve five-year terms as Commissioners. The head office, located in Saskatoon, was opened in early 1973. Branch offices were opened in Regina in June of 1974, and in Prince Albert in October of 1974.

The Commission's mandate initially stated it was to administer equality and anti-discrimination legislation in Saskatchewan in the areas of housing, employment, employment applications and advertisements, public accommodation and education on the grounds of race, creed, religion, colour, sex, nationality or place of origin. In addition, the Commission also championed anti-discrimination education and awareness campaigns.

The Commission was charged with the responsibility for investigating complaints. Complaints were separated into formal and informal. A commission officer investigated alleged complaints of discrimination by interviewing witnesses and examining documentation. However, if a resolution was not reached at this informal stage, the Commission would then hold a formal inquiry into the complaint. If the complaint was proven, the defendant could be ordered to pay restitution to the complainant. Appeals to commission orders could be filed in the Court of Queen's Bench.

The Saskatchewan Human Rights Code was enacted as legislation effective 7 August 1979. Part One of the Code enshrined the fundamental rights of citizens in Saskatchewan protecting "the right to freedom of conscience, religion, expression, and association, the right to vote in provincial elections and the right to freedom from arbitrary arrest or detention". Part Two prohibits "discriminatory policies and practices in employment, education, public services, housing, contracts, publications, professional association and trade unions". The Act made it illegal to discriminate in any of the outlined areas, expanding on the 1972 definitions, on the basis of "age, ancestry, race or colour, family status, marital status, nationality or place of origin, physical or mental disability, receipt of public assistance, religion or creed, sex (covers sexual harassment and pregnancy discrimination) and sexual orientation". The Commission was further empowered to approve and encourage equity programs. In addition, the education and awareness programs were strengthened in the Code to further the principles of equality and diversity.

Due to budget constraints the Prince Albert office was closed in 1986. However, the 2000 annual report indicated that the Chief Commissioner was concerned that northern residents were not being adequately represented and met with community leaders, along with the Provincial Ombudsman and the Children's Advocate, to understand what the residents of the north need in terms of support from the Commission.

In May 2000 a bill was introduced to amend the Saskatchewan Human Rights Code. The amendments were the result of a survey conducted in 1996 entitled Renewing the Vision - Human Rights in Saskatchewan. The intention was to streamline the complaint process and change some of the terms of discrimination and create a human rights tribunal panel to enforce the provisions of the code.

The Commission continues to be busy at both the Saskatoon and Regina offices. As definitions of rights and freedoms continue to evolve, the Commission has a vital role in the lives of the citizens of Saskatchewan.

The Saskatchewan Human Rights Commission reports to the Minister of Justice.

Saskatchewan Library Association, 1914-1918

  • PA 442
  • Corporate
  • 1914-1918

The first organizational meeting of the Saskatchewan Library Association was held in Regina, Saskatchewan on April 13, 1914. Seventeen individuals representing library interests from major centres throughout the province attended the meeting. The purpose of the organization was to promote the professional interests of librarians and others engaged in library and related educational work, to provide a forum for exchanging views in convention, and to work for the founding and improvement of libraries. The first resolution passed by the Association addressed the need to provide rural schools with library facilities. Travelling libraries, library legislation and the development of the National Library of Canada were other discussions in early correspondence and minutes of annual conferences of the Association. Membership in the Saskatchewan Library Association included persons engaged in library work, and others elected by its executive council. There were eighteen members in the Association in its first year. The original Saskatchewan Library Association ceased to exist after 1918.

Lumby Productions Ltd., 1965-1988

  • PA 316
  • Corporate
  • 1965-1988

Lumby Productions Ltd. of Saskatoon, Saskatchewan had its beginnings as a part-time recording operation formed through the partnership of John and Helen Lumby on September 15, 1961. The Lumby's stated intent was to "carry on trade and business of musical and dramatic productions and distribution of phonograph records".

The company became a full time operation in 1965 when it was incorporated as Lumby Productions Ltd., and continued to produce sound recordings, films, radio and television commercials, slide-tape presentations, promotional brochures and photographic work as well as other public relations services throughout the late 1960s and into the mid-1980s.

During the company's early existence in the 1960s it concentrated on the production and marketing of sound recordings. These included two volumes of a very successful children's record featuring Helen Lumby, "Miss Helen's Kindergarten Party." As well, Lumby Productions produced sound recordings and did marketing work for various local Saskatoon performers including the University of Saskatchewan's Greystone Singers and the Saskatoon Boys' Choir. It also produced two Saskatchewan Jubilee albums featuring various Saskatchewan artists.

In 1965, Lumby Productions branched out into custom recording services, architectural and industrial photography and motion picture production. Lumby Production's move into film was aided by contract work with the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation. During the late 1960's and early 1970's the company did most of the film and news production for CBC Saskatchewan. This led to the opening of a Regina office to help service the CBC account, and to the hiring of movie photographers Wilf Weber and Gerry Moir. Weber became a shareholder in Lumby Productions Ltd. in 1969.

Films were also produced for a number of provincial government departments and for private and crown corporations such as the Prince Albert Pulpwood Co. and the Saskatchewan Forest Products Corporation.

Over the years the scope of work undertaken by Lumby Productions Ltd. grew. Trully a multimedia production operation, the company engaged in the production of most pre-computer media that were used commercially. Lumby Production Ltd. provided clients with recording and record pressing services, photography, aerial photography, radio jingles, TV commercials, print advertising, public relations work, film production, film processing, animation and music for film.

The activities of Lumby Productions Ltd. were phased out during the early 1980's. During 1985-1986 the assets of Lumby Productions were transferred to Size Small Productions Inc., a new company formed by the Lumbys in 1981. Lumby Productions Ltd. was fully dissolved in 1988 and was struck from the provincial list of corporations in 1989.

Many of the Lumby film productions won awards at international competitions for documentary and industrial films. [For a partial list of nominations and awards see Introduction to A 679.]

John and Helen Lumby met while working at CFQC-TV in Saskatoon in the 1950s. John Lumby studied engineering at the University of Saskatchewan in 1949 and graduated from the Officer's Indoctrination Course University Reserve Training in June 1950. After an apprenticeship in industrial and commercial photography at Hansen Photographers in Edmonton, he worked as a photographer with the Saskatoon Star-Phoenix in the early 1950s. John Lumby served as Director of Photography at CFQC-TV in Saskatoon from 1955 to 1965 when he moved into full-time production work at his own company. He received a Certificate of Business Administration from the University of Saskatchewan in 1964.

Born in Souris, Manitoba and growing up in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Helen Hase Lumby worked as a writer, producer, operator and performer with CFQC Radio and CFQC-TV prior to forming the partnership in Lumby Productions. She was co-host of CFQC programmes "Little People" and "Carnival" during 1957-1958. She also produced a children's show and performed national radio spots for CHUM in Toronto for a brief period before rejoining CFQC-TV in 1960. At CFQC, Helen Lumby produced the children's television show "Miss Helen's Kindergarten", designed to fill the void left by the discontinuance of the kindergarten programme by the Saskatoon School Board in the late 1950s. The show aired between 1956 and1962 and won awards for exellence in children's programming. In the 1960's she was co-host of CBC radio's "The Passing Show", a fifteen minute arts and entertainment program.

At Lumby Productions Ltd. Helen Lumby worked primarily writing advertising copy and doing voice-overs for radio commercials. She also produced and was featured in the "Miss Helen's Kindergarten Party" phonograph records. Helen Lumby was active in the public relations aspects of Lumby Productions including print, radio and television advertising, press releases, brochures and promotional films.

Both John and Helen Lumby moved into production work with Size Small Productions Inc. in the 1980s. The Lumbys married in Saskatoon in 1957. They had three children: Lisa, John Jr., and Jeff. John and Helen Lumby currently (2005) reside in Baden, Ontario.

Results 11 to 20 of 6899