Showing 94 results

Authority record
Secondary Agency

Canada. Office of the Registrar General of Canada

  • GA 3
  • Secondary Agency
  • 1868-1966

The Registrar General was established in 1868 under the Department of the Secretary of State of Canada, which was the precursor to the federal Department of the Interior. It kept the Great Seal of Canada, the Privy Seal of the Governor General, the Seal of the Administrator of Canada, and the Seal of the Registrar General of Canada, and registered all documents that might require the Great Seal or federal Crown registration. Until 1881 the Registrar General's duties included the maintenance of records produced in the land patenting process and the processing of land applications from institutions. This duty was then handed to the Department of the Interior's Lands Patent Branch. In 1883 all lands patent duties that fell under the auspices of the Dominion Lands Act (1872) were transferred from the Registrar General to the Lands Patent Branch. In 1966 the Registrar General became the Department of the Registrar General, a short-lived autonomous government department.

Canada. Lands Patent Branch

  • GA 5
  • Secondary Agency
  • 1881-1930

The Lands Patent Branch was originally established in 1881 to maintain the records produced in the land patenting process and to process land applications from institutions. It was originally administered from a central office in Ottawa, but an office was later opened in Winnipeg and local field staff assumed many of the lands patent duties. In 1883, the Lands Patent Branch took over the full functions of a land registry office in relation to federally-controlled western lands. Previously, many of these duties had been administered by the Office of the Registrar General of Canada, part of the Department of the Secretary of State of Canada. In 1928, the name of the agency was changed to Lands Patent Division. In 1930, the Lands Patent Division was dissolved when the provinces took over the responsibility for all unconveyed lands.

Saskatchewan. Vocational Rehabilitation of Disabled Persons (VRDP) Program

  • GA 55
  • Secondary Agency
  • 1961-1998

An Act Respecting the Vocational Rehabilitation of Disabled Persons and the Co-ordination of Rehabilitation Services was assented to on June 1st of that year and proclaimed in force on December 1, 1961. In operation by in 1962, the Vocational Rehabilitation of Disabled Persons (VRDP) Program was managed as a joint Federal-Provincial/Territorial program to provide assistance and services to disabled persons to train for, seek out or maintain employment.

In 1945 the Saskatchewan Department of Social Welfare sent out a questionnaire to the Secretary-Treasurers of all rural municipalities and local improvement districts to determine the number of "crippled and handicapped persons" in the province who received public aid and were believed to be able to gain sustainable employment given appropriate training and support services. In addition, the Department began studying the methods and programs offered by agencies in order to formulate a plan to accommodate an increase in public demand for training services. In 1946, the Department set up the Civilian Rehabilitation Division to administer a program for the rehabilitation of disabled persons. The services offered were to be the precursors of those offered by the VRDP program. The services included: i) Vocational Diagnosis; ii) Counselling and Guidance; iii) Vocational, Technical and Educational Training; iv) Prosthetics; v) Employment Placement; vi) Auxiliary Services; vii) Public Relations.

This program was a joint venture between the province and municipalities. Municipalities were asked to contribute 50% of costs for the vocational, technical or education training, and prosthetics, the Department of Social Welfare assumed the administration costs.

In 1948, the Department of Public Health made an effort to classify jobs in various hospital industries with a view to organizing certain areas for the accessibility and placement of those occupationally or mentally handicapped. As well, national grants became available to enhance programs associated with the care of children.

The Federal Government called a meeting with the provinces, territories, and private agencies in February, 1951 to discuss the need for a federal-provincial initiative for the rehabilitation of handicapped persons. The main resolution from this meeting urged the establishment of the Civilian Rehabilitation Program for Handicapped Persons to provide suitable allowances, physical restoration, guidance and training. The resultant goal of this initiative was to develop skills and capacities to enable handicapped persons to undertake permanent employment and live a "reasonable life."

In view of the limited resources and shortage of skilled personnel at the time, services were aimed at those individuals capable of "economic independence and social usefulness." Municipalities were invited to share in the costs of restoration, training, tools and equipment; and provide medical, psychiatric and vocational diagnostic services. A conference held later in 1951 established an advisory committee with representatives from the provincial governments, labour, industry, medicine and private organizations.

By 1952 -1953, the Saskatchewan Department of Social Welfare and Rehabilitation was working closely with the Department of Education to arrange for clients to participate in sheltered training workshops. In August, 1953, the Minister of the Department of Social Welfare and Rehabilitation signed an agreement on rehabilitation services for disabled persons, under which the costs of establishing a provincial government office for the co-ordination of these services within the Government of Saskatchewan would be shared on a 50-50 basis with the Federal Government. Saskatchewan was the first province in Canada to sign such an agreement and the first to appoint a Provincial Co-ordinator of Rehabilitation Services.

By 1954 the Department of Public Health participated in a similar program to assist paraplegics in receiving financial assistance, and arrangements for transportation - with efforts being coordinated with the Departments of Public Health, Education and Labour and the Workmen's Compensation Board. Furthermore, in 1954, a federal-provincial agreement was reached with the Federal Department of Labour and the various provincial Departments of Education for the selection and training of disabled persons and for the provision of shared costs for transportation, tuition, books and maintenance of certain disabled persons undergoing vocational training. The provinces were to provide individual evaluations and reviews of cases prior to acceptance into the program.

In 1961 the Federal Government entered into agreements (for six years or less) with individual provinces to supply 50 per-cent of the funding. Provincial and Territorial Governments held discretion as to specific services and individual financing. The program offered the following general services: i) Assessment and counselling; ii) Training and employment placements along with training or maintenance allowances; iii) Assistance in accessing the services and programs and services offered by voluntary organizations who participate in the vocational rehabilitation of disabled persons; iv) Training of persons as counsellors or administrators to carry out programs; and v) Books, tools/equipment and aids.

Additionally the VRDP Program provided funding for certain volunteer agencies that offered individual vocational rehabilitation services (i.e. Canadian Paraplegic Association, Canadian National Institute for the Blind, and Canadian Hearing Society).

In 1964, a Review Committee with representation from the provincial Departments of Welfare, Public Health and Education, and National Employment Services was struck; this committee ultimately reviewed and granted approval for training. This was followed by a review program that gathered information six months and one year after completion of training in order to assist officials in future program planning. [By the end of the program, this follow up period was extended to 36 months.]

In Saskatchewan, the administration of the VRDP program continued the earlier practice of having services to disabled persons offered cooperatively by three provincial departments - Education, Social Services and Health coordinated through a Director of Vocational Rehabilitation. The role of the Department of Social Services was primarily to administer the funds, to handle negotiations between the Federal and Provincial government departments and to provide for sheltered workshops. These workshops encouraged disabled persons to develop work and social skills until they were able either to reach their potential level of independence or to obtain sustainable employment. In addition the Department of Social Services offered the Long-Term Employment Initiative in order to offset the costs of additional supervision and/or job placement and/or job development costs, this included such initiatives as wage subsides and core funding to provincial disability organizations.

The Department of Education administered the funding to applicants for training (unpaid employment training and pre-employment training) and recreation/therapy programs for adults with disabilities. Support for post-secondary education was a major component of the individual vocational rehabilitation programs providing cost sharing for tuition, books and supplies, living allowances and support services such as attendants, interpreters, tutors and technical aids.

Under the Department of Health, the VRDP program provided assistive devices; medical supplies and equipment; alcohol and drug recovery services; individual and group counselling; psychological assessments; and vocational services/training in life skills and job search techniques. The Consultant Medical Social Worker was an officer working within the Department of Health, responsible for receiving referrals to the Program from various agencies and passing along to these agencies the results of the evaluation by the Training Selection Committee.

The VRDP Program, scheduled to end on 31 March 1997, was extended an additional year at a cost of $168 million (nationally) for existing programs while negotiations continued for the development of a suitable programming successor. By October 1997, the Government of Canada and provincial and territorial ministers responsible for social services approved the Employability Assistance for Peoples with Disabilities (EAPD) Initiative.

The Province of Saskatchewan entered into the five-year EAPD agreement with Human Resources Development Canada in March 1998 that allowed for a three-year transition period in which programs and services cost-shared under VRDP could be adjusted to reflect a new employability focus and avoid significant disruptions in client service.

Saskatchewan. Lands Branch

  • GA 37
  • Secondary Agency
  • 1931-

From 1930 to 1947 the Lands Branch, and grant and lease functions, were part of the Department of Natural Resources (later the Department of Natural Resources and Industrial Development.) The initial legislation (The Provincial Lands Act, 1931 and The Land Utilization Act, 1935) and the legacy of the Federal Department of the Interior, which previously held jurisdiction over these responsibilities, provided the framework for Crown Land lease and sale accounting and administration. While the Lands Branch was part of the Department of Natural Resources, the Provincial Lands Division and then (in 1932) the Lands Patent Division carried out the grants and transfer of land. This included handling enquiries, application forms, payments, agreements and recording the disposition of land.

In 1948, control of the Lands Branch was transferred to the Department of Agriculture, which subsequently changed the responsibility for many of the functions from the Land Utilization Division to the Inspection Services Division. During the 1960s, The Agriculture Rehabilitation and Development Act resulted in many of the grants and leases only being permitted for projects related to the development and conservation of water supplies, soil improvement, and /or agricultural efficiency.

In 1975, the Lands Disposition and Records Division of the Lands Branch became responsible for land grants and transfers - by advertising land for lease/sale, by preparing land transfers, and by maintaining the records of lands. In 1984-1985, a reorganization of the Lands Branch saw many of these functions split between the Field Operations and Support Services divisions.

The transfer of the Lands Branch back to the Department of Agriculture and Food in 1993 resulted in another reorganization, splitting the control of leases and sales amongst geographically oriented divisions (i.e. northwest, south). In 1993-1994 the Branch operated under the Financial Support and Program Management Division as part of the Lands and Regulatory Management Branch. This Branch had a broader mandate, including livestock health and operations. With the abolishment of the Crow's Nest Pass annual railways subsidy in February 1995, Lands Branch assumed responsibility for management of the provincial share of the federal payout and amended rental rates on Crown agricultural leases.

In 1996, the splitting of the Lands and Regulatory Management Branch into three branches (Livestock and Veterinary Operations, Pasture, and Lands) resulted in Lands Branch becoming part of the Program and Services Division, where it remained until April 2005. This change marked the first time that the Lands Branch did not hold responsibility for the administration of provincial pastures and the Community Pastures Program. The responsibility was returned to the Branch in 2001 with the amalgamation of Pastures and Lands Branches.

In 2000, the stated mandate of Lands Branch was "to promote the sustainable and integrated use of Crown land while providing opportunities for diversification and economic growth." Between April 2002 and May 2004 the Department operated as the Department of Agriculture, Food and Rural Revitalization. Currently (2011) Lands Branch resides in the Ministry of Agriculture. While the Branch has experienced changes in its structure and in policy and program development, the basic function regarding the administration, sale and lease of Crown lands has not substantially altered throughout its history.

Saskatchewan. Saskatchewan Air Ambulance Service

  • GA 10
  • Secondary Agency
  • 1945-

The Saskatchewan Air Ambulance Service was established in 1945 by the Canadian Commonwealth Federation (CCF) government. The service was introduced to provide rapid transportation in medical emergencies for a province with poor roads, severe weather conditions, few hospitals outside Regina and Saskatoon and almost no rural airfields at the time. In November 1945, a Norseman aircraft was purchased, licensed and fitted for basic medical needs. The Service established a base in Regina and assembled a crew consisting of a pilot, aircraft engineer and flight nurse. The inaugural flight occurred on February 3, 1946, when a diabetic female patient was transported from Liberty to Regina. The pilot landed the aircraft 100 yards from the patient's home and had to take off in moderately deep snow.

The increased demand for the Air Ambulance Service in the 1940's and 1950's resulted in additional aircraft and personnel. In 1950 a second base was established in Saskatoon to serve northern residents more effectively. On September 25, 1958, the Service carried its 10,000th patient. A decline in the demand for the Service began in the 1970's due to better road conditions, an improved road ambulance system and the establishment of more medical centers throughout the province.

A review and update of the Service in the early 1990's led to a major upgrading of medical equipment, the development of new medical and nursing protocols and the provision of an aeromedical training program for pilots and attending staff. In 1993 paramedics became part of the critical care team. As of 2005, the Service, known as Lifeguard, was based in Saskatoon with a backup aircraft stationed in Regina. Lifeguard remains the oldest non-military air ambulance program in the world.

The Saskatchewan Air Ambulance Service was administered by the Department of Public Health from 1945 until September 1, 1966, when responsibility for staff, aircraft and equipment was transferred to the Department of Public Works. The Department of Public Health negotiated the level of service with Public Works and continued to handle the daily administration. In 1993, responsibility for staffing and training was assumed by St. Paul's Hospital, an affiliate of Saskatoon Health District. Saskatchewan Health continued to fund the program and Saskatchewan Property Management Corporation (SPMC) maintained the aircraft. This arrangement between Saskatchewan Health and Saskatchewan Property Management remains in place as of 2005.

Saskatchewan. Special Committee on Election Procedures and Expenditures

  • GA 14
  • Secondary Agency
  • 1969

The Special Committee on Election Procedures and Expenditures was formed on February 17, 1969 during the Second Session of the Sixteenth Legislature. A Steering Committee, comprised of the Chairman and Vice-Chairman, was established during the course of the Committee's meetings to outline points for discussion and to present a work schedule. The Committee met sixteen times throughout 1969, and presented its Final Report on December 31, 1969.

Members of the Special Committee on Election Procedures and Expenditures were: R.A. Heggie, MLA (Hanley)(Chairman); R. Romanow, MLA (Saskatoon-Riversdale) (Vice-Chairman); Hon. A.C. Cameron, MLA (Maple Creek); I.H. MacDougall, MLA (Souris-Estevan); A. Matsalla, MLA (Canora); D.M. McPherson, MLA (Regina South West); A. Mitchell, MLA (Bengough); and E.C. Whelan, MLA (Regina North West).

Staff members for the Committee were: E.D. Bayda, Q.C. (Legal Counsel); E.C. Malone, L.L.B. (Legal Counsel Assistant); G.L. Barnhart (Secretary); R.F. Beeson (Research Officer); and D. Ritchie (Research Assistant).

Saskatchewan. Dept. of Social Services. Family and Youth Services Division

  • GA 126
  • Secondary Agency
  • 1992-2003

The Family and Youth Services Division of the Department of Social Services was established in 1992 through an amalgamation of services and responsibilities of two previous divisions: one for children and families and another for young offenders. In doing so, the goal of the department was to provide a more effective level of services to children, youth and families than in the previous organizational structure. Programs and services offered by the division were delivered by staff in twenty-five communities throughout Saskatchewan, from nine government-operated facilities, and by non-governmental agencies.

Activities of the division were focused around four key areas: Child Protection and Family Support Services; Alternative and Foster Care; Adoption; and Young Offender Services. Child Protection and Family Support Services addressed reports of child abuse or neglect in homes. In-house support provided by workers and non-governmental agencies included parenting education, life skills training, emergency babysitting, counselling and support, emergency crisis intervention, and work with local police and justice to address cases of abuse and/or sexual assault.

Alternative and Foster care was provided in situations of temporary or permanent removal of children from their families. The four types of foster care offered were: emergency; short-term; long-term and therapeutic. Children were also placed with extended family, in group homes or in short-term residential facilities. Stabilization, assessment and treatment services were provided, along with training and support to those offering foster care in their homes.

Adoption services provided counselling and facilitated planning for the placement of children relinquished for adoption. Adoptions were categorized as Crown ward (those in the care of Social Services) or non-ward (adoptions by step-parents, independent adoptions, international adoptions or adoptions via an agency.) Post-adoption services provided included the provision to adoption clients of background information on their birth parents, and the conducting of searches for birth families.

Young Offender Services administered the client files of youth, aged 12 to 17, who were in the justice system in accordance with the federal Young Offenders Act (Canada). Services were provided under a youth model of justice which recognized the differences in developmental level between youth and adult offenders. Services offered were consistent with the Act, and included Alternative Measures (non-judicial mediation), Community Options (judicial interim release, community homes, community service orders, personal service orders, fines, compensation, and probation), and custody options (remand, open custody and closed custody.) Young offender services were transferred to the Department of Corrections and Safety on March 26, 2002.

The Department of Social Services was discontinued on March 31, 2003. All services and programs except young offender services were continued under the Department of Community Resources and Employment.

Saskatchewan. Dept. of Social Services. Young Offender Division

  • GA 127
  • Secondary Agency
  • 1985-1992

In 1985, the Young Offender Division of the Department of Social Services was established to administer the client files of youth, aged 12 to 17, who were in the justice system in accordance with the federal Young Offenders Act (Canada). Services offered were consistent with the Act, and included Alternative Measures (non-judicial mediation), Community Options (judicial interim release, community homes, day programs, community service orders, personal service orders, fines, compensation, and probation), and Custody Options (remand, open custody and secure custody.)

The Young Offender Division was discontinued in 1992 and responsibility for its programs and services was transferred to the department's Family and Youth Services Division.

Saskatchewan. Special Committee on the Review of the Legislative Library

  • GA 21
  • Secondary Agency
  • 1979 - 1981

The Special Committee on the Review of the Legislative Library was appointed on May 3, 1979 during the First Session of the Nineteenth Legislature. It met fourteen times, from June 9, 1979 to May 4, 1981. The Committee travelled to Toronto, Ottawa, Edmonton and Victoria to tour legislative libraries in those jurisdictions. It received six briefs and conducted six interviews with selected individuals. The Committee presented its Final Report on May 7, 1981.

Members of the Special Committee on the Review of the Legislative Library were: Hon. D McArthur, MLA (Regina Lakeview) (Chairman); R. Katzman, MLA (Rosthern) (Vice-Chairman); Hon. D. Lingenfelter, MLA (Shaunavon); Hon. R. Long, MLA (Cutkinfe-Lloydminster); Hon. G. MacMurchy, MLA (Last Mountain-Touchwood); R. Nelson, MLA (Yorkton); R. Pickering, MLA (Bengough-Milestone); B. Poniatowski, MLA (Saskatoon Eastview); G. Taylor, MLA (Indian Head-Wolseley); and C. White, MLA (Regina Wascana).

Staff members for the Committee were: Gwenn Ronyk (Secretary, May 1979 - December 1980); David Mitchell (Secretary, January 1981 - May 1981); and Carol Adams (Research Assistant).

Saskatchewan. Special Committee on Regulations

  • GA 15
  • Secondary Agency
  • 1963-2003

The Special Committee on Regulations was established in April, 1963 to review the bylaws of professional associations and to review regulations made pursuant to Acts in legislature.

The Committee was struck at the beginning of each Legislature for this purpose. Legal counsel for the Committee was provided by the Legislative Counsel and the Law Clerk, as well as by officials from the Department of Justice and others departments who appeared as witnesses before the Committee. A member of Opposition served as Chair of the Committee.

At the time these records were created, the Special Committee on Regulations was formed on June 1, 1984 during the Third Session of the Twentieth Legislature. The Committee received 19 Briefs and 14 oral presentations relating to the two White Papers it was examining. It presented its Final Report on April 11, 1985.

Members of the Special Committee on Regulations during the Third Session of the Twentieth Legislature were: Murray Koskie, MLA (Quill Lakes) (Chairman); Evelyn Bacon, MLA (Saskatoon Nutana) (Vice-Chairman); Harry Baker, MLA (Biggar); John Gerich, MLA (Redberry); Lloyd Sauder, MLA (Nipawin); Grant Schmidt, MLA (Melville); Russ Sutor, MLA (Regina North East); Fred Thompson, MLA (Athabasca); and Kim Young, MLA (Saskatoon Eastview).

Staff members were: Gwenn Ronyk (Clerk to the Committee); Lorraine Archer (Secretary); and Rose Zerr (Secretary).

In June 2003, the Special Committee on Regulations was phased out in legislative reforms recommended by the Special Committee on Rules and Procedures. At the commencement of the Twenty-fifth Legislature, the duties performed by the Special Committee on Regulations were taken over by the various Policy Field Committees under a newly-established Standing Committee structure.

Results 1 to 10 of 94