Showing 38 results

Authority record
Corporate

Lumby Productions Ltd., 1965-1988

  • PA 316
  • Corporate
  • 1965-1988

Lumby Productions Ltd. of Saskatoon, Saskatchewan had its beginnings as a part-time recording operation formed through the partnership of John and Helen Lumby on September 15, 1961. The Lumby's stated intent was to "carry on trade and business of musical and dramatic productions and distribution of phonograph records".

The company became a full time operation in 1965 when it was incorporated as Lumby Productions Ltd., and continued to produce sound recordings, films, radio and television commercials, slide-tape presentations, promotional brochures and photographic work as well as other public relations services throughout the late 1960s and into the mid-1980s.

During the company's early existence in the 1960s it concentrated on the production and marketing of sound recordings. These included two volumes of a very successful children's record featuring Helen Lumby, "Miss Helen's Kindergarten Party." As well, Lumby Productions produced sound recordings and did marketing work for various local Saskatoon performers including the University of Saskatchewan's Greystone Singers and the Saskatoon Boys' Choir. It also produced two Saskatchewan Jubilee albums featuring various Saskatchewan artists.

In 1965, Lumby Productions branched out into custom recording services, architectural and industrial photography and motion picture production. Lumby Production's move into film was aided by contract work with the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation. During the late 1960's and early 1970's the company did most of the film and news production for CBC Saskatchewan. This led to the opening of a Regina office to help service the CBC account, and to the hiring of movie photographers Wilf Weber and Gerry Moir. Weber became a shareholder in Lumby Productions Ltd. in 1969.

Films were also produced for a number of provincial government departments and for private and crown corporations such as the Prince Albert Pulpwood Co. and the Saskatchewan Forest Products Corporation.

Over the years the scope of work undertaken by Lumby Productions Ltd. grew. Trully a multimedia production operation, the company engaged in the production of most pre-computer media that were used commercially. Lumby Production Ltd. provided clients with recording and record pressing services, photography, aerial photography, radio jingles, TV commercials, print advertising, public relations work, film production, film processing, animation and music for film.

The activities of Lumby Productions Ltd. were phased out during the early 1980's. During 1985-1986 the assets of Lumby Productions were transferred to Size Small Productions Inc., a new company formed by the Lumbys in 1981. Lumby Productions Ltd. was fully dissolved in 1988 and was struck from the provincial list of corporations in 1989.

Many of the Lumby film productions won awards at international competitions for documentary and industrial films. [For a partial list of nominations and awards see Introduction to A 679.]

John and Helen Lumby met while working at CFQC-TV in Saskatoon in the 1950s. John Lumby studied engineering at the University of Saskatchewan in 1949 and graduated from the Officer's Indoctrination Course University Reserve Training in June 1950. After an apprenticeship in industrial and commercial photography at Hansen Photographers in Edmonton, he worked as a photographer with the Saskatoon Star-Phoenix in the early 1950s. John Lumby served as Director of Photography at CFQC-TV in Saskatoon from 1955 to 1965 when he moved into full-time production work at his own company. He received a Certificate of Business Administration from the University of Saskatchewan in 1964.

Born in Souris, Manitoba and growing up in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Helen Hase Lumby worked as a writer, producer, operator and performer with CFQC Radio and CFQC-TV prior to forming the partnership in Lumby Productions. She was co-host of CFQC programmes "Little People" and "Carnival" during 1957-1958. She also produced a children's show and performed national radio spots for CHUM in Toronto for a brief period before rejoining CFQC-TV in 1960. At CFQC, Helen Lumby produced the children's television show "Miss Helen's Kindergarten", designed to fill the void left by the discontinuance of the kindergarten programme by the Saskatoon School Board in the late 1950s. The show aired between 1956 and1962 and won awards for exellence in children's programming. In the 1960's she was co-host of CBC radio's "The Passing Show", a fifteen minute arts and entertainment program.

At Lumby Productions Ltd. Helen Lumby worked primarily writing advertising copy and doing voice-overs for radio commercials. She also produced and was featured in the "Miss Helen's Kindergarten Party" phonograph records. Helen Lumby was active in the public relations aspects of Lumby Productions including print, radio and television advertising, press releases, brochures and promotional films.

Both John and Helen Lumby moved into production work with Size Small Productions Inc. in the 1980s. The Lumbys married in Saskatoon in 1957. They had three children: Lisa, John Jr., and Jeff. John and Helen Lumby currently (2005) reside in Baden, Ontario.

StarPhoenix, 1928-

  • PA 08
  • Corporate
  • 1928-

The StarPhoenix daily newspaper was created in 1928 as the result of the amalgamation of two different newspapers in Saskatoon, The Daily Phoenix and The Daily Star serving central and northern Saskatchewan.

The Daily Phoenix was started as Saskatoon's first printed newspaper, the Saskatoon Phenix on October 17, 1902 by the Norman brothers G. Wesley and Leonard. It was purchased by a company headed by Dr. J.H.C. Willoughby in 1905 and sold shortly after to J.A. Aiken who changed the name to The Daily Phoenix. The Daily Star began May 12, 1906 as a weekly publication called The Capital owned by G.M. Thompson and C.E. Tyron. It became a daily issue in 1909 and changed ownership to W.F. Herman and Talmage Lawson in March of 1912 who then named it the Daily Star.

In the fall of 1918, Northern Publishers, a subsidiary of the Leader Publishing Company in Regina, bought the Daily Phoenix. On January 31, 1923 the Meilicke family who were shareholders in the Leader Publishing Company purchased both The Daily Star and The Daily Phoenix. Both publications were then sold to Clifford Sifton on January 1, 1928 and were amalgamated into one newspaper named the Star-Phoenix on September 12 of that year. The Sifton family continued ownership until February 27, 1996 when the paper was sold to Hollinger Newspapers. The StarPhoenix was purchased by CanWest Global Communications Corporation on July 31, 2000.

In its history the newspaper's title heading has appeared in various forms, including Saskatoon Star-Phoenix and Star Phoenix, but the current presentation is StarPhoenix.

Air Force Association of Canada No. 600 (City of Regina) Wing, 1949-

  • PA 42
  • Corporate
  • 1949-

The Air Force Association of Canada was founded on 21 May 1948 to provide civilian community support to the Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF), and to serve as a network for ex-airmen who had returned to civilian life. Branches or "wings" were formed in many cities across Canada. Initially, the association drew its membership from all ranks of the RCAF, and concentrated on military-based aviation initiatives. The association was re-organized in 1972 to include members of the civilian aviation community. Its activities focused on supporting aviation in Canada, preserving the traditions of the RCAF, working with air cadets, improving living conditions for servicemen, cooperating with other veterans associations, and promoting community-based service. Members have been active in other activities including the National Executive of the Association and the RCAF Benevolent Fund.

No. 600 (City of Regina) Wing received its charter on 5 January 1949. The Association's membership includes veterans of numerous squadrons such as
No. 162 BR (Flying Boat) Squadron, which flew consolidated Cansos during the Second World War. As of July 1998, the Association had 103 members. The Association is closely affiliated with the 600 RCAF Veterans Association, which provides assistance to needy air force veterans and works to preserve air force history.

Norwest Housing Cooperative Limited, 1974-1976

  • PA 41
  • Corporate
  • 1974-1976

The Norwest Housing Cooperative met on June 17, 1974 to choose an executive, and was formally incorporated on August 1st of that year. With a membership of thirteen, the cooperative's objectives were to provide to members land, materials and furnishings required in the construction of housing units at a good price through bulk purchase, to negotiate any required financing for the units, to hire a general supervisor for the construction, and to provide advisory services to members.

Based in Regina, the cooperative operated outside of the provincial government program, AHOP (the Assisted Home Ownership Program). Within two years, members had completed their homes. The cooperative held its last meeting and dissolved on December 21, 1976.

Insurance Brokers' Association of Saskatchewan, 1952-

  • PA 55
  • Corporate
  • 1952-

Saskatchewan insurance agents formed various regional groups to represent their interests to the provincial government and the local public. In the 1940's the Canadian Federation of Insurance Agents and Brokers (CFIAB) approached these regional groups to form a provincial association.

The need for cooperation amongst the various groups in Saskatchewan was finally recognized, resulting in the birth of a provincial association in the 1950's. In 1952, the first meeting of the newly formed Saskatchewan Insurance Agents Association was held with a total of 39 agents attending. Within the first year membership grew to 226 agents. This association would later join the national association, thus providing representation at the national level.

The name of the association was officially changed in 1987 to the Insurance Brokers' Association of Saskatchewan (IBAS). As of 2004, the purpose of the IBAS was to promote and preserve the independent insurance brokerage system as a secure, knowledgeable, cost-effective, customer-oriented, professional method of insurance delivery.

Percival Community Hall Co-operative Association Limited, 1923-

  • PA 58
  • Corporate
  • 1923-

The Percival Community Hall Co-operative Association Limited is an agricultural co-operative association incorporated in Saskatchewan on July 23, 1923 under the provisions of The Agricultural Co-operative Associations Act. The Association operates a community hall in Percival for local residents to hold meetings and recreational and social events. The Association's executive consists of directors, a president, a vice-president, and a secretary-treasurer. The first president was J. Vigar and the first secretary was Ralph Hawkes.

The Percival Community Hall was originally erected around 1903 for use as a general store. When the store was renovated around 1913, cloakrooms were built, and the building began to be used as a hall. For a time, the Temperance Society held its meetings there. An outdoor dance platform was built in 1923, and renovations and improvements to the building took place in 1928, 1965, 1970, 1971, 1976, and 1981.

The Association is currently (2007) active.

Matador Co-Operative Farm Association, 1946-1974

  • PA 208
  • Corporate
  • 1946-1974

Matador Co-Operative Farm Association was the first and the longest surviving of the Second World War veterans' co-operative farms. It began in 1946, with a group of 17 veterans who wished to farm but knew they could not afford to do so as individuals. They purchased land which had originally been the Matador Ranch near Kyle, Saskatchewan and Local Improvement District (L.I.D.) land in the area and began to develop their farm. Their first President was Lorne Dietrick and their long time Secretary-Treasurer was William Zazelenkchuk.

The Honourable John Sturdy, provincial Minister of Reconstruction and Rehabilitation, recognized that supporting co-operative farming might be a way to re-integrate many of the thousands of veterans returning home at the end of World War II as well as one possible solution to the problems of market instability, high input costs and rural isolation. He gave Matador, as well as other veteran co-operative farms much support in the early years.

Not all of the veterans were well suited to co-operative farming and some left the Matador group. New applicants would be asked what they could contribute to the Matador co-operative in terms of land, veteran's entitlement and/or cash. They would be credited with their contribution and with their hours of work at the time of distribution of payments. New members were selected by the membership of the farm co-operative and given a trial period to see if they were suitable. If members left the farm they were reimbursed for their equity in a manner described in the bylaws of the organization.

Much of the larger community initially saw co-operative farms as communistic. The Wheat Board sought to provide only one permit book to the Matador farm instead of allowing one permit book to each farmer. The taxation department insisted on taxing the farm as a corporation, with the result that more income tax was owed than would have been if each member of the co-operative farm filed as an individual. Despite these problems the Matador Co-Operative farmers overcame obstacles, diversified their agricultural base and ran a very successful operation, including grain, cattle, sheep, chickens and turkeys. Dominant society norms of competitiveness, individuality, hierarchy and loyalty to the nuclear family unit challenged the co-operative spirit in many of the co-operative farms; Matador Co-Operative Farm Association was not entirely immune to these norms.

Changes occurred in membership over the years. As single men married and began to raise families there were houses built for them with garden space. In 1956 and 1957 the farm experienced a period of turmoil when land which had been leased under individual names was available for sale. Individual farmers could take their land and leave the co-operative or put their land into co-operative equity. Two members, did, in fact leave at that time. By 1974 there were 13 outgoing members.

As original members aged and were ready to retire many of the cooperative farms were sold or the members began farming individually. Matador Co-Operative Farm Association faced the problem of how to pass on a very expensive operation to the next generation. Their solution was to negotiate with Allan Blakeney's Government to change the provisions of the Land Bank Act, to allow Matador Farm to be sold to the Land Bank in 1974. This allowed the original members to receive their equity and to retire. It also allowed the second generation to continue to farm the land as the Matador Farm Pool.

Family Service Bureau of Regina, 1946-

  • PA 230
  • Corporate
  • 1946-

The Bureau of Public Welfare was a private, voluntary organization established in Regina, Saskatchewan in 1913. The Bureau provided monetary relief to Regina citizens and coordinated the relief activities of various charity groups in the city. It also worked to rehabilitate criminals; prevent juvenile delinquency; promote child welfare and improve working conditions for women. In 1914, Regina City Council transferred responsibility for all relief administration to the Bureau. In 1918, the responsibility was given to the City Health Department and the Bureau of Public Welfare was abolished.

The economic depression of the 1930's necessitated the revival of the Bureau of Public Welfare. The Regina Welfare Bureau (as it was now called) was established in December, 1931 and incorporated under the provisions of The Benevolent Societies Act on June 10, 1946. The Bureau fostered the development of wholesome family life; and assisted families and individuals to return to or achieve a normal life and to take part in programs of the community for social betterment. On February 1, 1956, the Bureau changed its name to the Family Service Bureau of Regina to reflect its focus on family counseling. On May 22, 1998, the organization became known as Family Service Regina Incorporated.

Family Service Regina currently (2007) provides community services including counseling for families, couples, and individuals; the Employee and Family Assistance Program (EFAP); teen and young parent programs; family violence programs; family education; marriage preparation; balancing work and family seminars; life skills programs; and community volunteer opportunities.

The Family Service Bureau's organizational structure, developed in 1931, includes a board of directors; president, first vice-president, second vice-president, secretary, and treasurer. The executive director manages the daily operations and oversees the counselors and program, financial and administrative staff.

Saskatchewan Cancer Foundation, 1930-

  • PA 51
  • Corporate
  • 1930-

In 1929, the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Saskatchewan established a cancer committee, which was to survey the treatment of cancer in the province and make proposals for improving it. The committee recommended that radium which was owned by private physicians be purchased by the government for use in centralized clinics under the control of a doctor. The committee also recommended that there be consultative services at each clinic, and that a commission be established to control the clinics. These recommendations were accepted by the government, and The Saskatchewan Cancer Commission Act (Chapter 218) was passed by the 1930 Session of the Legislature and became effective May 1, 1930. The Act authorized the establishment of a cancer control program in Saskatchewan, operated by the Saskatchewan Cancer Commission.

Two consultative diagnostic and treatment clinics were established in 1932, one in Regina, the other in Saskatoon. Initially, patients were required to pay nominal fees to the Commission for diagnostic services and radiotherapy, and were fully responsible for the payment of other medical, surgical and hospital costs related to the treatment of their cancer.

The leadership given at this time by the medical profession in Saskatchewan was responsible for the creation of the Canadian Cancer Society in 1938, and the establishment of a cancer program in the province which was unique in that it was founded on the mutual confidence and cooperation of the government, the medical profession and the laity.

The Cancer Control Act of 1944 was responsible for denoting Saskatchewan as the first area to have comprehensive tax-borne treatment for cancer in the world. It provided that all diagnostic services and treatment, including drugs directed at the control of cancer, would be paid by the province rather than by the patient.

In 1979, the Saskatchewan Cancer Foundation Act was passed, establishing Saskatchewan Cancer Foundation to replace the Cancer Commission. The Foundation maintains two service outlets: the Allan Blair Memorial Clinic in Regina and the Saskatoon Cancer Clinic. The clinics provide diagnosis, radiotherapy, chemotherapy and follow-up services. Registry services are an integral part of each clinic. In accordance with the Cancer Foundation Act, the Saskatchewan Cancer Foundation: collects information on cases of cancer and records data relating to these cases; participates or provides assistance for research projects in conjunction with the diagnosis, prevention and treatment of cancer; and collects information and records data on residents eligible for provincial cancer screening programs.

Grain Services Union, 1936-

  • PA 181
  • Corporate
  • 1936-

The Grain Services Union traces its roots back to 1936 when elevator agents and office staff working for the Saskatchewan Wheat Pool formed the Saskatchewan Wheat Pool Employees' Association (SWPEA).

Over the years, SWPEA expanded to include all workers in Saskatchewan Wheat Pool's head office, elevator construction and repair division, terminal elevator offices, livestock division, and publications division.

In 1973, country elevator and construction employees of Manitoba Pool Elevators joined the union, and in 1974 the name was changed to the Grain Services Union.

Other groups of workers also organized to join the GSU: AgPro Grain terminal elevator employees in Saskatoon, Moose Jaw, and St. Boniface (formerly owned by Northern Sales and Elders Grain); AgPro Grain fish farm employees; Hillcrest Farms employees; Advanced Blueprint employees; and country elevator employees of Alberta Wheat Pool.

The Grain Services Union is affiliated to the Saskatchewan Federation of Labour, Alberta Federation of Labour, Manitoba Federation of Labour and was a direct affiliate to the Canadian Labour Congress until 1994. In that year, members voted to approve affiliating to the International Longshore and Warehouse Union (Canadian Area), although the connection to the CLC remains.

Results 1 to 10 of 38