Showing 154 results

Geauthoriseerde beschrijving
Local Government

Casavant School District No. 3127

  • SCAA-PAS-F518
  • Local Government
  • 1913-1973

In July 1913, a committee of ratepayers in the Vonda, Saskatchewan district petitioned the Department of Education for the formation of a school district. At a meeting held by the committee on August 11, 1913, 10 resident ratepayers voted in favor of the district; none was opposed. The trustees elected were Clotere Denis, Emile Casavant and W. Richard.

Casavant School District No. 3127 was officially established on September 22, 1913 in accordance with the provisions of the Schools Act. The responsibilities of the district board included selecting and acquiring a school site; contracting the building of the school; furnishing and maintaining the school and grounds, buildings and equipment; hiring qualified teachers; providing books, globes, maps and other supplies to students and teachers; administering grants; settling disputes and maintaining school records and accounts.

In December, 1913, the Board of Trustees borrowed $1800 to build and furnish a school house with a teachers' residence. The one room school house was located at NW 23-37-1-W3.

The duties and powers of the district board were revised when Casavant School District joined the Wakaw School Unit No. 48 in 1952. The rural school was closed in June, 1961. On September 1, 1961, Casavant School District was transferred to the Saskatoon (East) School Unit No. 41. Casavant and Dinelle's School District No. 1176 were consolidated to form the Casavant Central School Board, which administered a centralized school located in the hamlet of St. Denis.

On July 24, 1973, Casavant School District was disestablished and the lands from the Casavant district were consolidated with Vonda School District No. 1312 and Vonda Roman Catholic Separate School District No. 18.

Lorenzen, Henry, 1935-2013

  • PA 549
  • Local Government
  • 1935-2013

Henry (Hank) Adolph Carson Lorenzen was born on April 21, 1935 in Regina, Saskatchewan. He studied architecture at the University of Manitoba. His initial training as an architect was with the firms of McCudden & Robbins; H. Robbins; and Ramsay & Ramsay. In 1967, he became a member of the Saskatchewan Association of Architects while a student architect with Ramsay & Ramsay in Regina. In 1969, Lorenzen established a private architectural practice and in 1976 he incorporated under the name, Henry Lorenzen Limited. The company was operated out of his home in Regina.

During his long career as an architect, Lorenzen designed the following types of projects: medical and dental facilities; sports and recreational facilities; elementary and high schools; government buildings; and energy efficient designs of residences in Regina and throughout the province. Lorenzen's architectural designs reflected his interests in energy efficiency; conservation; use of solar power; recreational facilities; rural planning; accessibility; lighting and furniture; landscaping; and the renovation of older buildings.

For fifty years, Lorenzen was active as a volleyball player, coach, official, and planner. He was a founding member and president of the Saskatchewan Volleyball Association, a president of the Canadian Volleyball Association, instrumental in establishing Sask Sport, and inducted into the Saskatchewan Sports Hall of Fame in 2008.

In 1959, Henry Lorenzen married Fyola and they had three children: Jay, Lyn, and Jill.

Lorenzen died on September 28, 2013.

Cresco School District No. 4789, 1929-1963

  • LGA 95
  • Local Government
  • 1929-1963

A petition for the organization of a school district in the Shell Lake/Amiens, Saskatchewan district dated January 30, 1929 was submitted to the Saskatchewan Department of Education by a committee consisting of David Schock, Henry Schmidt and John Fell. A meeting was held on March 1, 1929 to elect trustees and on March 26, 1929 the Cresco School District No. 4789 was officially established. The first elected trustees were Carl Hegraves, Stuart Anderson and Henry Schmidt. Mrs. Carl Hegraves was the first secretary-treasurer. The first teacher was Mary L. Sanderson. Around 1945, the school district became part of the Shell Lake School Unit No. 63. The school district ceased operations around 1963.

Regina Roman Catholic Separate School Division No. 81, 1979-

  • LGA 94
  • Local Government
  • 1979-

In 1979, the Graton Roman Catholic Separate School District No. 13 (established in 1899) and the Regina Roman Catholic Separate High School District (established January 1, 1965) were amalgamated to form the Regina Roman Catholic Separate School Division No. 81. The Regina Catholic Separate School Division No. 81 is a publicly funded urban Catholic school division in Regina, Saskatchewan. The division currently (2021) administers 32 schools in the City of Regina, including 26 elementary schools, 4 high schools, 1 alternative school and 1 associate school. The division has an enrollment of 12, 000 students and employs 1,200 staff members . The division administers a $ 121 million operating budget.

The Division is managed by a Board of Trustees, currently consisting of seven members elected to four year terms as part of the civic election process. One Director of Education and seven senior administrators in various areas administer the daily operations of the division. The Archbishop of Regina is an honorary Board Chair. The division’s revenue comes mainly from grants, property taxation and other sources, including tuition, school fees, and other school generated funds. The head office is located at the Catholic Education Centre, Cameron Street, Regina.

Sun West School Division No. 207 of Saskatchewan, 2006-

  • LGA 93
  • Local Government
  • 2006-

On January 1, 2006, six public school divisions (Kindersley, Rosetown, Eston-Elrose, Outlook, Davidson and Biggar) were combined to form Sun West School Division No. 207 as part of the Government of Saskatchewan’s restructuring of rural school divisions. The Division covers an area in west-central Saskatchewan of approximately 31,252 square kilometres and includes schools in the communities of Kenaston, Marengo, Coleville, Kindersley, Eatonia, Eston, Elrose, Kyle, Lucky Lake, Beechy, Loreburn, Kinsmore, Outlook, Harris, D’Arcy, Plenty, Davidson, Rosetown, and Biggar. The division is currently (2021) one of 27 school divisions in the province and administers 42 schools, including Kindergarten to Grade 12 schools, elementary schools, a middle school, high schools and Hutterite colony schools. The division’s total student population as of the 2018-19 school year was 5219, with 713 full-time staff.

Sun West School Division is governed by an elected Board of Education consisting of a Chair and nine trustees who are not employees of the school division. The Board members serve four year terms. The Board’s duties and powers include administering and managing the educational affairs of the school division; exercising general supervision and control over the schools in the division; providing and maintaining school accommodations, equipment and facilities; and appointing and employing qualified teachers, principals and other staff. The Director of Education is chosen by and is responsible to the Board of Education and is supported by other senior administrators, including Superintendents of Education. The division receives funding primarily from property taxes; grants from the federal and provincial governments; tuition and related fees; and income interest. The division office is located in Rosetown.

Saskatchewan Water Appeal Board, 1984-

  • LGA 91
  • Local Government
  • 1984-

The Saskatchewan Water Appeal Board, formerly called the Saskatchewan Drainage Appeal Board, was established on July 1, 1984, when The Water Appeal Board Act came into effect in Saskatchewan. The purpose of the board is to hear appeals of the decisions of the Water Security Agency made pursuant to The Water Security Agency Act, 2005 (formerly called the Saskatchewan Watershed Authority Act). The appeals pertain to issues of water usage, alteration of natural water flows, drainage complaints, permit applications, and sewage problems in the province. Many of the appeals relate to farming and its water-related issues of flooding, erosion, drought, and irrigation.

The Water Security Agency investigates and adjudicates disputes and determines decisions, orders, and actions. If the affected parties wish to appeal the decision, an appeal is made to the Water Appeal Board within 30 days. The board has the power to affirm, vary, or substitute decisions made by the agency.

By resolving these water-related disputes, the Water Appeal Board assists in managing the province's water supply by protecting water quality and ensuring safe drinking water and the appropriate treatment of wastewater. Water management helps to regulate water supply channels, reduce flood and drought damage, protect aquatic habitats and resolve trans-boundary water issues.

The Water Appeal Board is a corporate body and fully responsible for its own financial operations. Funding for the Water Appeal Board is through the Saskatchewan Ministry of Environment. The board consists of no more than eight members appointed by the Lieutenant Governor in Council on the recommendation of the minister. Members serve on the board for three year terms. The Water Appeals Board continues (2017) to operate.

Prairie Valley School Division No. 208 of Saskatchewan, 2005-

  • LGA 90
  • Local Government
  • 2005-

The Regina District School Division No. 208 of Saskatchewan was established on April 30, 2005 pursuant to Order-in-Council 85/2005 and Ministerial Order No. 018/2005-06, in accordance with the provisions of The Education Act, 1995. Eight existing school divisions were amalgamated into the Regina District School Division as follows: Aspen Grove School Division No. 144; Eslin School Division No. 107; Grand Coulee School Division No. 110; Gray School Division No. 101; Pense School Division No. 98; Qu'Appelle Valley School Division No. 139; Wilcox School Division No. 105; and the Lang and Milestone Attendance Areas of the Sunrise School Division No. 145. On December 1, 2005, the Regina District School Division No. 208 of Saskatchewan was renamed the Prairie Valley School Division No. 208 of Saskatchewan. On December 31, 2005, the eight existing school divisions were officially disestablished and Prairie Valley School Division began full operation effective January 1, 2006.

Prairie Valley School Division currently (2014) has 38 public elementary and high schools under its jurisdiction, located in numerous southeastern Saskatchewan communities as follows: Arm River, Balcarres, Balgonie, Bethune, Broadview, Cupar, Edenwold, Fort Qu'Appelle, Grenfell, Indian Head, Kelliher, Kipling, Langbank, Lemberg, Lipton, Lumsden, McLean, Milestone, Montmartre, Neudorf, Pense, Pilot Butte, Qu'Appelle, Regina Beach, Sedley, Southey, Vibank, White City, Whitewood and Wolseley.

The Board of Education of the Prairie Valley School Division consists of a chairman and elected trustees from 11 subdivisions. Trustees, who serve four year terms, are elected by voters and ratepayers to represent students. Funding is provided through provincial grants and locally generated revenues. The Board's duties and powers include administering and managing the educational affairs of the school division; exercising general supervision and control over the schools in the division; approving administrative procedures pertaining to the internal organization, management and supervision of the schools; providing and maintaining school accommodations, equipment and facilities; and appointing and employing qualified teachers, principals and other staff.

The Administrative Council Executive consists of the Director of Education, the Deputy Director of Education and the Chief Financial Officer. The Director of Education is the chief executive officer and reports to the elected Board. The Administrative Council Executive is supported by other senior administrators, including superintendents, supervisors and managers. Principals, teachers, speech language pathologists, psychologists and administrative and maintenance staff are also employed by the division. The division's office is located at 3080 Albert Street in Regina.

The Guernsey Rural Telephone Company, Limited, 1914-1977

  • LGA 9
  • Local Government
  • 1914-1977

On March 22, 1913, residents in the Guernsey, Saskatchewan district met to discuss the organization of a rural telephone company. A petition requesting permission to organize was sent to the Minister of Telephones on August 23, 1913. The Guernsey Rural Telephone Company, Limited was incorporated as a joint-stock company on March 9, 1914. The company's aim was to construct, maintain and operate a rural telephone system.

The company included a board of directors, president, secretary and general members. The secretary was responsible for maintaining records and accounts, taking minutes, collecting fees and issuing receipts, preparing financial statements and acting as a liaison with the Department of Telephones and various rural municipalities.

On December 17, 1976, members voted in favor of accepting the Saskatchewan Telecommunications (SaskTel) offer to assume responsibility for the provision of telephone service in the area. The last meeting of the board was held on March 29, 1977. The company was assimilated by SaskTel on April 15, 1977 and dissolved on July 7, 1977.

Saskatchewan Relief Commission, 1931-1934

  • LGA 89
  • Local Government
  • 1931-1934

The Saskatchewan Relief Commission was established by the J.T.M. Anderson Government in 1931 to administer the provincial assistance (relief) program and centralize all existing provincial relief agencies. A proclamation of the Lieutenant Governor on August 25, 1931 appointed Henry Black as chair and Pearl Johnston, Albert E. Whitmore, William A. Munns and William G. Yule as commissioners. The commissioners were responsible for formulating policy while C.B. Daniel, general manager, was the chief administrative officer. The Commission managed the spending of $31.5 million and provided direct relief, such as food, clothing, fuel, shelter and medical care, distributed through the rural municipalities. The Saskatchewan Relief Commission was disbanded on August 15, 1934.

Rocanville (Sask.), 1967-

  • LGA 88
  • Local Government
  • 1967-

The Town of Rocanville is an urban municipality in south east Saskatchewan. Rocanville was a village from March 24, 1904 until August 1, 1967, when it was proclaimed a town. Rocanville is an agricultural and mining based community located 21 kilometres from the Manitoba border and 15 kilometres from the Qu'Appelle Valley. Its geographical location is 21-16-31-W1. The town is believed to have been named after Rocan de Bastien, postmaster of the Village of Rocanville in 1904. Located in the Rural Municipality of Rocanville No. 151, the town serves as the administrative centre for the rural municipality.

The town is governed by a council consisting of a mayor and councillors, each elected for a three year term. Council makes decisions and exercises its power through the passage of bylaws and resolutions. Councils aims to provide good government; to provide necessary services and facilities for all or part of the town; to develop and maintain a safe and viable community and foster economic, social and environmental well-being. Council is responsible for providing an array of services within the boundaries of the town, including police and fire services; water and sewage treatment services; and library, recreation and cultural facilities. Council is responsible for regulating wild and domestic animals; streets and roads; businesses and business activities; and buildings and other structures. The town receives funding through property taxes, service user fees, license fees and grants from the provincial and federal governments. Council is responsible for hiring an administrator and other employees to manage the daily operations of the town.

The Town of Rocanville is currently (2010) governed by a mayor and five councillors. The administrator oversees the daily operations. Council meetings, open to the public, are held on the first and third Wednesday of each month. The town's current population is 869.

Resultaten 1 tot 10 van 154