- PA 08
The StarPhoenix daily newspaper was created in 1928 as the result of the amalgamation of two different newspapers in Saskatoon, The Daily Phoenix and The Daily Star serving central and northern Saskatchewan.
The Daily Phoenix was started as Saskatoon's first printed newspaper, the Saskatoon Phenix on October 17, 1902 by the Norman brothers G. Wesley and Leonard. It was purchased by a company headed by Dr. J.H.C. Willoughby in 1905 and sold shortly after to J.A. Aiken who changed the name to The Daily Phoenix. The Daily Star began May 12, 1906 as a weekly publication called The Capital owned by G.M. Thompson and C.E. Tyron. It became a daily issue in 1909 and changed ownership to W.F. Herman and Talmage Lawson in March of 1912 who then named it the Daily Star.
In the fall of 1918, Northern Publishers, a subsidiary of the Leader Publishing Company in Regina, bought the Daily Phoenix. On January 31, 1923 the Meilicke family who were shareholders in the Leader Publishing Company purchased both The Daily Star and The Daily Phoenix. Both publications were then sold to Clifford Sifton on January 1, 1928 and were amalgamated into one newspaper named the Star-Phoenix on September 12 of that year. The Sifton family continued ownership until February 27, 1996 when the paper was sold to Hollinger Newspapers. The StarPhoenix was purchased by CanWest Global Communications Corporation on July 31, 2000.
In its history the newspaper's title heading has appeared in various forms, including Saskatoon Star-Phoenix and Star Phoenix, but the current presentation is StarPhoenix.