Showing 566 results

Authority record
Corporate body

The Board of Education of the Northern Lights School Division No. 113, 1978-

  • LGA 92
  • Corporate body
  • 1978-

The Northern Lights School Division No. 113 is a school division in Saskatchewan governed by the provisions of The Education Act, 1995. The division was established on December 21, 1978, when the Northern School Board was renamed Northern School Division No. 113. Another name change occurred on April 20, 1979, when the Northern School Division No. 113 became the Northern Lights School Division No. 113. The school division operates under the authority of The Education Act, 1995 of Saskatchewan as a corporation under the name of “The Board of Education of the Northern Lights School Division No.113” and operates as “the Northern Lights School Division No. 113”.

The Northern Lights School Division No. 113 serves a predominantly First Nations population located in northern Saskatchewan. The division includes students of Cree, Dene, Metis, French and English cultures. The division currently (2018) has 20 public elementary and high schools under its jurisdiction in various northern communities including Air Ronge, Bear Creek, Beauval, Brabant Lake; Buffalo Narrows, Cole Bay, Cumberland House, Green Lake, Jans Bay, La Loche, La Ronge, Pinehouse Lake, Sandy Bay, St. George’s Hill, Stony Rapids, Timber Bay, Uranium City, and Weyakwin.

The Northern Lights School Division is governed by a Board of Education, consisting of a chairman and nine members, each elected for four-year terms to represent the nine sub-divisions. The Director of Education, who reports directly to the Board of Education, is the chief executive officer of the school division and is responsible for the ongoing daily supervision of senior staff. The school educational programs are supervised by the Superintendents of Education. Other staff employed by the division include principals, teachers, consultants, administrative and facilities staff. The division is funded mainly by grants from the Government of Saskatchewan and property taxes. The division’s central office is located in La Ronge, with a sub-office in Beauval.

Museums Association of Saskatchewan Incorporated, 1968-

  • PA 09
  • Corporate body
  • 1968-

On January 25, 1967 representatives of the provincial government, provincial and municipal museums and the field director of the Canadian Museums Association met in Regina, Saskatchewan to discuss the formation of a provincial museums association in Saskatchewan. The first general meeting of the Saskatchewan Museums Association was held in Regina on April 8, 1967. The Saskatchewan Museums Association was incorporated as a non-profit corporation on December 20, 1968 under the provisions of The Societies Act. The name of the organization was changed to the Museums Association of Saskatchewan Incorporated on May 5, 1989.

The mandate of the Museums Association of Saskatchewan (MAS) is to further museum activities throughout the province; set up training and resource programmes; and develop guidelines for standards of museum operations for its members. The MAS offers certificate programmes; manages grants; offers educational and professional development opportunities; provides guidelines for recognized standards of museum operations; raises public awareness of museums; fosters communication among members of the museum community; and represents the interests and concerns of members to government and other agencies.

The MAS's office is currently (2010) located at 424 McDonald Street in Regina. The MAS is governed by an elected board of directors who are responsible for establishing the vision and goals of the organization. An executive and administrative staff deliver programs and services. Membership is open to Saskatchewan museums and individuals, including art galleries, community museums, larger urban museums, exhibition centres, archives, zoos, and historic parks and sites. The MAS currently receives funding from the federal and provincial governments and Sask. Lotteries.

Claybank Brick Plant, 1898-1991

  • PA 1
  • Corporate body
  • 1898-1991

The origins of the Claybank Brick Plant go back to 1886 when Tom McWilliams, a homesteader in the Claybank, Saskatchewan area, began mining heat-resistant or 'refractory' clay, on his property. This type of clay is well-suited for manufacturing fire brick, which is used to insulate boilers, fireplaces, furnaces, and other high-heat areas. In 1904 Mr. McWilliams entered into a formal agreement with the Moose Jaw Fire Brick and Pottery Company, which acquired the original McWilliams homestead plus other nearby clay deposits. Development of the property was hindered by lack of access to primary markets, but when the Canadian Northern Railway line was built in the district in 1910, the access problem was solved and plant construction could begin.

In 1912 the Moose Jaw Fire Brick and Pottery Company restructured, purchased Mr. McWilliams' shares, and became Saskatchewan Clay Products. (This was a private company that was not related to the Crown Corporation Saskatchewan Clay Products, which was founded in 1945.) The brick plant was completed in 1914, only to close until 1916 due to World War I and an economic recession.

The company was reopened in 1916 as Dominion Fire Brick and Clay Products Ltd. The revitalized company expanded its product line to include face brick and specialized firebrick. In the 1920s the company began producing high grade refractory tiles. These specialized tiles were used for flue and furnace linings, steam engine linings and locomotive arch bricks. This product helped the company survive the Depression. By 1938 the Claybank Brick Plant was the busiest in the province. During World War II, the company's products were used extensively by the Royal Canadian Navy in the construction of corvettes. By 1950 the plant was the largest in the province.

In 1954 the Claybank Brick Plant was purchased by the Alberta company Redcliffe Pressed Brick and renamed Dominion Fire Brick and Clay Products (1954) Limited. For the rest of its operating history, ownership of the plant would be from outside the province of Saskatchewan. In 1955 controlling interest in the company was purchased by A.P. Green Fire Brick Company of Mexico, Missouri. This company, one of North America's leading producers of refractory products, modernized the plant's operations. One of the first changes was the conversion of six of the ten beehive kilns to natural gas from the traditional lignite coal. This change meant the end of face brick production, as face brick got its coloring from the coal-fired kilns. The company was also losing market share for its refractory products, primarily because diesel locomotive engines were being adopted by the railroads. The company tried to compensate for these losses by aggressively selling other forms of fire brick, a technique that was only partially successful.

By 1962 A.P. Green had complete control of the Claybank Brick Plant, although the company continued to operate under the name Dominion Fire Brick and Clay Products until 1970. By 1971 the plant became known as a subsidiary of A.P. Green Refractories (Canada) Ltd. This full integration limited the plant's prospects and appears to have accelerated the plant's final economic decline. Dwindling markets, changing technologies, outmoded equipment and corporate downsizing all contributed to the plant's closure in 1989.

Following the closure of the plant in June 1989 the Province of Saskatchewan indicated its intention to designate the plant as a provincial heritage site. In 1992 A.P. Green donated the site, including the brick plant, machinery and equipment to the Saskatchewan Heritage Foundation. In 1996 the plant was declared a national historic site. In 1998 the Claybank Brick Plant was officially designated as Provincial Heritage property.

Churchbridge Agricultural Society, 1888-2007

  • PA 101
  • Corporate body
  • 1888-2007

The Kinbrae and Little Cut Arm Farming Society, founded in 1883, was incorporated as the North-east Assiniboia Agricultural Society in 1888, under the Agricultural Society Ordinance (1886). The North-east Assiniboia Agricultural Society was renamed the Churchbridge Agricultural Society on December 7, 1907, and came under the provisions of the Agricultural Societies Act (S.S. 1909, c. 112) in 1909. The Society's mandate was to support agricultural developments in the area. It was governed by an eleven-member Board of Directors, which included a six-member executive.

The Society hosted agricultural fairs and competitions, held meetings to distribute information about agricultural developments, and was involved in the administration of pest control efforts and provincial ordinances.

The Agricultural Societies Act under which the organization was registered was repealed effective May 17, 2007. As the Churchbridge Agricultural Society did not re-register under another Act, its registration by the Corporations Branch was cancelled October 2, 2008.

Cathedral Area Community Association, 1976-

  • PA 102
  • Corporate body
  • 1976-

The Cathedral Area Community Association is a non-profit organization in Regina, Saskatchewan that was incorporated on December 13, 1976 in accordance with The Societies Act. The Cathedral area is a 235 hectare residential area located immediately west of downtown Regina. Although the area is primarily residential, numerous commercial businesses are included, most notably the 13th Avenue shopping district. The area was named after Holy Rosary Cathedral, which was built in 1912.

The Association's objectives include participating in the planning and development of the Cathedral area on behalf of the community; organizing and promoting social events and recreational activities for residents of the area; encouraging the provision of community and social services to residents; speaking on behalf of the membership to municipal and other levels of government; and informing the membership of current and proposed events in the Cathedral area. The executive includes directors; a president; a vice-president; a secretary; a treasurer and administrative staff who liaise with the public and help facilitate the delivery of various programs. The Association publishes The Village Voice, a monthly newsletter for residents in the area. One the Association's major activities is organizing the Cathedral Village Arts Festival.

The Cathedral Area Community Association currently (2013) continues to operate out of its office at 2900 13th Avenue.

D.K. Hipperson Enterprises Ltd., 1986-

  • PA 110
  • Corporate body
  • 1986-

D.K. Hipperson Enterprises Ltd. of Regina, Saskatchewan was incorporated on December 30, 1986 and thereafter commenced active business operations as a consulting and investment company. D.K. Hipperson Enterprises currently (2010) has a single director, D.K. Hipperson, who also serves as president.

Totnes Wheat Pool Committee, 1925-

  • PA 111
  • Corporate body
  • 1925-

The Totnes Wheat Pool Committee was founded in 1925 by farmers in the Totnes, Saskatchewan area. Its initial chairman was J.H. Williams and Secretary was D.A. Williams. The Committee was made up of all farmer-members of the wheat pool, which was initially called the Saskatchewan Co-operative Wheat Producers until it was renamed the Saskatchewan Wheat Pool in 1953, in the area.

The Committee's purpose was: to promote the Pool to other farmers; to supervise local pool operations after the acquisition of the Saskatchewan Co-operative Elevator in Totnes in 1926; to discuss issues relevant to farmers; and to receive and disseminate communication from the delegates and directors of the Wheat Pool. The Wheat Pool itself was involved in advocacy, joint marketing (until 1931), and running local elevators. The Totnes Committee participated in these activities and was particularly involved in local elevator affairs until the sale of the elevator on July 31, 1972.

The Committee was located in District 11, Sub-District 1. The last confirmed date of Totnes Wheat Pool Committee activities is April, 1984, although the Committee may be active past that date.

Saskatchewan German Council Inc., 1984-

  • PA 112
  • Corporate body
  • 1984-

The Saskatchewan German Council Inc. is a non-profit corporation incorporated on November 27, 1984 under the provisions of the Non-Profit Corporations Act. The Council's original objective was to promote the interests of the German-speaking heritage people of Saskatchewan. It was later modified to state: "to promote German culture, language, customs, traditions, and interests for the benefit of all Saskatchewan people." The Council is governed by an eleven member elected Board of Directors, with an elected President, Treasurer, Past President and Vice President. It is staffed by an Executive Director and an Administrative Assistant. The organization is headquartered in Saskatoon. It offers four membership categories: Association, Individual, Supporting and Honorary.

Activities of the association have included: maintaining and creating language and research resources, supporting member organizations and clubs, hosting a German Awareness Conference (1988); founding Humboldt as a German theme town (1990); creating bursaries for university-level language courses (1995); creating German Saturday Schools in Saskatchewan (1995); and founding the Saskatchewan German Business Association to help develop business between Saskatchewan and German-speaking European countries (1997).

Saskatchewan Flying Farmers' Association, 1977-

  • PA 116
  • Corporate body
  • 1977-

In 1955, a group of thirty-two people met in Estevan, Saskatchewan to discuss the formation of a Saskatchewan chapter of the National Flying Farmers Association. On November 2, 1955, the National Flying Farmers Association issued a charter officially granting membership to the Saskatchewan association. The first annual meeting was held in Regina in 1956. The Saskatchewan Flying Farmers' Association was incorporated as a non-profit organization in Saskatchewan on March 3, 1977.

The objectives of the Association are to promote the practical use of airplanes in the agricultural industry; to sponsor education and research on general aviation; to urge minimum regulations for general aviation; to encourage landing strips close to towns and cities; to develop public acceptance of light aircraft and to promote safe flying through education of pilots in the use of radio and other navigational aids.

Executive members include a president; vice-president; secretary; treasurer and directors. Other officers include a public relations officer; newsletter editor and junior-teen advisor. The queen is the official hostess of the Association. Monthly meetings and annual conventions are held and activities are planned to include members' spouses and children.

Saskatchewan Farmers' Market Association Inc., 1979-

  • PA 117
  • Corporate body
  • 1979-

During the 1970s, several farmers' markets existed in Saskatchewan without an organizational body. In 1974, the Saskatchewan Department of Agriculture conducted a trial sponsorship of the Regina Farmers' Market supporting it through operational and advertising grants, which was considered successful. By 1977 there were twenty-one markets and an Association of Farmers' Market Co-ops was formed within the Department of Agriculture. On November 19, 1978, the Association spun off the Department of Agriculture and became the Saskatchewan Farmers' Market Association (SFMA).

The SFMA was incorporated January 12, 1979 as a non-profit corporation with the objective to create and foster viable farmers' markets in Saskatchewan and by doing so, create a community and have fun. All members of the SFMA must be Saskatchewan producers selling their own agricultural and craft products. Product which is not grown in Saskatchewan, such as certain fruits, is allowed if it is sold by the producer. Ralph Tomson was its first Chairman and Harry Baycroft was the Provincial Co-ordinator. The Co-ordinator oversees general operations of farmers' markets, is an intermediary between the markets, and liaises with the markets and all government departments, including the Department of Agriculture, the Department of Health, and the Department of Tourism. The Board of Directors is made up of representatives of the Saskatchewan farmers' markets, with a minimum of fifteen members and a maximum of fifty.

Results 1 to 10 of 566