Affichage de 297 résultats

Personnes et organisations
Canada

Saskatchewan. Special Committee on Highway Traffic and Safety (1965-1966)

  • GA 24
  • Secondary Agency
  • 1965-1966

The Special Committee on Highway Traffic and Safety, 1965-1966 was appointed on April 15, 1965 during the First Session of the Fifteenth Legislature. It met twenty times, from June 7, 1965 to December 29, 1966. Public hearings were held in Saskatoon in October, 1965 and in Regina in November, 1965. The Committee presented its Final Report on December 31, 1966.

Members of the Special Committee on Highway Traffic and Safety, 1965-1966 were: F. Larochelle, MLA (Shaunavon) (Chairman); E.C. Whelan, MLA (Regina North) (Vice-Chairman); D.V. Heald, MLA (Lumsden); W.S. Howes, MLA (Kerrobert-Kindersley); G.F. Loken, MLA (Rosetown); I.H. MacDougall, MLA (Souris-Estevan); S. Merchant, MLA (Saskatoon City); M.P. Pederson, MLA (Arm River); A. Thibault, MLA (Kinistino); and C.G. Willis, MLA (Melfort-Tisdale).

Staff members for the Committee were: G.W. Sandstrom (Legal Counsel); G. Chamberlin (Secretary); W.R. Anderson (Research); S. Kujawa (Research); and J.M. Crawford (Research).

Saskatchewan. Select Committee on Fire Prevention-Protection

  • GA 28
  • Secondary Agency
  • 1983-1984

The Select Committee on Fire Prevention-Protection was appointed on November 7, 1983 during the Second Session of the Twentieth Legislature. It met sixteen times from November 23, 1983 to March 23, 1984, including eight public hearings held in January 1984. As well, the Committee travelled to Gravenhurst and Toronto, Ontario in January 1984 to tour fire training facilities in those jurisdictions. The Committee presented its Final Report on March 23, 1984.

Members of the Select Committee on Fire Prevention-Protection were: Ralph Katzman, MLA (Rosthern) (Chairman); Allen Engel, MLA (Assiniboia-Gravelbourg) (Vice-Chairman); Michael Hopfner, MLA (Cut Knife-Lloydminster); Sherwin Petersen, MLA (Kelvington-Wadena); and Bill Sveinson, MLA (Regina North West).

Staff members for the Committee were: Louis Yanko (Technical Advisor); Les Parker (Technical Advisor); and David Mitchell (Clerk).

Saskatchewan. Saskatchewan Government Insurance Office

  • GA 42
  • Primary Agency
  • 1944-1980

The first government-run insurance programs in Saskatchewan were public hail insurance programs created in 1901 and 1912; however these were limited to crop insurance.

Economic conditions in the 1930's and early 1940's had resulted in the failure of many small local insurers. Almost 80% of fire insurance premiums issued between 1934 and 1944 were underwritten by British or other non-Canadian firms. The twenty-two percent of companies that were Canadian were not in Saskatchewan but located primarily in Ontario and Quebec. During the same period, less than half of the premiums paid in by customers were returning in the form of claims paid out. Little of those premiums were remaining in the province either in the form of claims paid or as profit for local business.

In 1944, the only other general government insurance program in Canada was a dormant system in Alberta.

The Saskatchewan Government Insurance Office (SGIO) was established by The Government of Saskatchewan Insurance Act, assented to on November 10, 1944. In January 1945, Oakland W. Valleau, Minister of Social Welfare, was appointed Minister-in-Charge of SGIO.

There were three main reasons for its creation: to retain revenue from insurance premiums within the province; to create new revenue sources in order to provide additional social services to residents; to reduce insurance rates for Saskatchewan residents.

The Insurance Act allowed for the sale by SGIO of policies covering fire, life, automobile and twelve other forms of insurance. Although the act allowed for the sale of life insurance, it was not sold by SGIO.

The office was established in March 10, 1945 and Michael Francis Allure was chosen as the first general manager. He was provided with a staff of 3, a 10 x 12 foot room at the Legislature and a $12,000 loan to start.(1) Allure sold the first policy to Valleau on May 1, 1945. The General Manager served as the Chief Executive Officer of the company.

The company continued to operate out of the Legislative Building until early in 1946 when it moved into the old Canada Life Assurance building on Cornwall Street and 11th Avenue in Regina. It had grown from a staff of four to sixty employees at head office with more than 150 brokers across the province. The SGIO annual report for 1946-1947 states that finding and training sufficient staff was a major challenge due to this rapid expansion.

Although the head office was located in Regina, a policy of decentralization resulted in the opening of branch offices in Prince Albert and Saskatoon in 1946. By December 31, 1947, 110 people were employed at the Head and Branch offices. A branch in North Battleford opened in 1948 followed by branches in Yorkton, Estevan and Swift Current in 1949 and Moose Jaw in 1950. In the 1970's claims branches were also created in Lloydminster, Meadow Lake, Tisdale, Weyburn and Kindersley.

The first SGIO agency was opened in Maple Creek on May 17, 1945. It was started by Oscar Sawby whose only experience at the time consisted of operating a general store. Fifty years later, his family was still operating Blythman Agencies Ltd.

By the end of the first year of business, SGIO had paid back the $12,000 startup loan and showed a surplus of $6388 while providing insurance rates ten percent lower than the competition.

As World War II was coming to a close, the number of motorists and vehicles in Saskatchewan grew at a rapid rate but less than 10% had any form of insurance, leaving accident victims and their families without any form of compensation. This resulted in the creation of The Automobile Accident Insurance Act, 1946. By combining vehicle registration and insurance, the provincial government ensured that all drivers had basic coverage.

In 1949, the Saskatchewan government purchased a 75% share in a joint stock company in the hopes of expanding the business of the SGIO over a larger area to provide a more stable income. The Saskatchewan Guarantee and Fidelity Company Limited (SGFCL) applied to practice insurance in Ontario, Manitoba, Alberta and British Columbia but was denied on the basis that a company owned by one provincial government should not do business in territory of another. Reinsurance agreements with companies in other countries allowed the SGFCL to reduce its financial risk. It was administered by SGIO but as a joint stock company its status as a Crown corporation is historically questionable.

By 1950 SGIO had 215 employees and 675 agents. By 1952, it held about 25% of the general insurance business in the province.

The change in government in resulting from the 1964 election posed a threat to the continuation of SGIO and other Crown corporations. Ross Thatcher expressed a philosophy of encouraging the industrial development of Saskatchewan by private enterprise. SGIO survived but some of its monopoly advantages were removed.

SGFCL was not so lucky. Seen as surviving on monopoly advantages and contracts from SGIO and losing money as well, it was put up for sale. On July 31, 1965, rather than being sold, it was absorbed by SGIO.

Throughout the late 1960's the Liberal government was accused by the opposition of planning to sell SGIO which it denied. In fact, a firm offer to buy the company was received in 1969 but was rejected by the government.

The 1970's marked a return to CCF (now NDP) government. SGIO was handling almost all of the insurance sales in Saskatchewan, partially due to lower pricing and because most of the competition had quit the field. It was a regular practice for insurance companies to have one rate for Alberta and Manitoba and a lower rate for Saskatchewan. Many decided it wasn't worth the trouble.

In 1979, SGIO was re-branded SGI - Saskatchewan Government Insurance but remained SGIO as a legal entity.

Various departments and divisions existed within the Office over its history(2) including as follows:

The Statistical Department existed in 1946. It continued to appear on a 1950 organizational chart but was apparently absorbed by the Accounting Department sometime between 1951 and 1953.

The Claims Department existed in 1946. By August 18, 1948 it had been divided into Claims - General; Claims - Accident; Claims - Collision.

The Accounting Department existed in 1946.

The Agency Department first appeared on October 18, 1946 and continued to show on an August 18, 1948 organizational chart.

The Fire Department existed in 1946. On September 1, 1947, the Fire Department was divided into two departments: Fire Department - Agency and Fire Department - Direct.

On December 1, 1947, the Inspection Department was established to inspect various types of risks and supply data to the Underwriting Department.

The Salvage Division was established in 1947 to provide a sales outlet for used automotive parts salvaged from vehicles which were damaged beyond repair in accidents. Salvage allowed SGIO to recover a portion of losses incurred in auto claims. The Divisional head office was originally located in North Battleford and opened on July 10, 1947. Additional depots were later established in Regina (1961), Saskatoon (1966), Yorkton (1969), and Moose Jaw (1971). The Divisional office was re-located to Saskatoon in September 1966.

The Reinsurance Department was set up in 1950. It was responsible for placement, negotiating and handling Fire and Inland Marine reinsurance as required.

The Personnel Department was formed in 1956.

A Promotion and Advertising Department was created in 1957.

The Multi-Peril Department was established in 1957 to provide all general insurance needs in one package. In 1961 the department was assimilated into various sections of the Fire Underwriting Department.

The Loss Prevention Department was established in 1973. It was previously part of the Property Department.

An Internal Audit department was created in 1976.

The Motor Vehicle Division was established on April 1, 1977, when the driver license and motor vehicle registration delivery system formerly administered by the Department of Finance was transferred to the SGIO.

The Customer Relations Department was established in 1977 to handle consumer complaints and inquiries. It seems to have taken over responsibilities and functions of Public Relations.

The Automobile Experimental Centre was set up in Regina in 1974 to monitor and conduct research into cost-effective automotive repair techniques, train SGIO auto adjusters, assist auto body shops with the application of new repair techniques, and supply data on repair costs and vehicle design.

The Saskatchewan Government Insurance Act, 1980 (C. S-19.1) assented to on April 29, 1980 officially dropped "Office" from the legal title of the company and creating SGI.

At that time, SGI's organizational structure consisted of: Minister in Charge / Chair of Board of Directors; Office of the General Manager / President; Administration Division (Policy services; Administration and Coordination; Administration services); Claims Division; Salvage Operations; Corporate Relations Division; Marketing Division; Systems Planning and Research; Systems Development Motor Vehicle Division; Finance; Legal; Motor Licensing Division; Special Accounts Department; Underwriting (Casualty; Commercial Property; Loss Prevention; Personal and Farm Property).

Footnotes:

1)One source lists the staff as four, but this may have included Allure.

2) Tracking the organizational structure of SGIO is difficult because annual reports consisted primarily of financial information and seldom documented these changes or contained organizational charts.

Mugford, Samuel John, 1867-1934

  • PA 104
  • Personne
  • 1867-1934

Samuel John Mugford was born in St. Austell, Cornwall, England in 1867. He was educated in England and worked as a teacher before emigrating to Canada in 1890. Mugford settled in the Saltcoats, North-West Territories (now known as Saskatchewan) district in 1891 and taught in the Graham and Rothbury school districts and in Langenburg. He homesteaded on SW 32-24-32-W1 in the Saltcoats district and continued to farm until his death.

Active in the local community, Mugford helped establish several school districts in the Ukrainian settlements around Wroxton and Calder. He served as a returning officer for several elections and was appointed an official auditor for the Province of Saskatchewan in 1912. He served as an auditor for the Rural Municipalities of Calder and Churchbridge and for various small companies and businesses. Mugford was active in the Saltcoats Grain Growers Association and with the Saltcoats and Rothbury agricultural societies.

Mugford died in Saltcoats in 1934.

Mugford married Mabel Goodday in 1898. The Mugfords had three children: Jim; Amy and Beth.

McCutchon, Mary Ellen, 1895-1987

  • PA 107
  • Personne
  • 1895-1987

Mary Ellen McCutchon (nee Moynihan) was born in Cork, Ireland in 1895. She served with the British Women's Army Auxiliary Corps during the First World War. She was married to Noel McCutchon, a Watkins distributor. McCutchon resided in Regina, Saskatchewan for most of her life. She died on December 10, 1987 and was buried in Woodlawn Cemetery in Saskatoon.

Albert William Bannister Family, 1861-

  • PA 109
  • Famille
  • 1861-

Albert William Bannister was born on December 25, 1861 to Edwin and Caroline Bannister (neé Hill) in Hill Ridware, Mavesyn Ridware, Lichfield, Staffordshire, England. In 1879, he was indentured to Henry and George Brown to apprentice as a carpenter and builder. After completion of his apprenticeship, in 1883 he moved from Kings Bromley, Staffordshire, England to the North-West Territories. Bannister initially settled in Long Lake and then Pense, North-West Territories. During the 1885 Rebellion, Bannister drove a transport from Swift Current to Battleford via boat. By 1887, Bannister had visited England and moved to Regina, Saskatchewan to help construct Government House. Bannister also worked as caretaker at the Receiver-General's office from 1919 until his retirement in 1933.

On August 24, 1890, Bannister married Ellen Maria Evans in Regina, North-West Territories. Ellen Maria Evans was born February 9, 1866 to William and Emano Evans (neé Blackwall Cantrell) in Hulme Walfield, Cheshire, England. Prior to 1890, the family moved to the North-West Territories, Canada. Together, Albert William and Ellen Bannister had six children: Percy, (Walter) Harvey, Hettie Priscilla, (Albert) William, Nellie Marion, and Edwin. Albert William Bannister, Sr. died in 1947.

A. William Bannister, also known as William Bannister, Albert Bannister, and Bill Bannister, was born on March 21, 1898. He was educated at Victoria School and Central Collegiate in Regina. In 1917, Bannister joined the 77th Battery and went to England as a signaler. Following the war, Bannister played with the Regina Roughriders Rugby Club. He then worked as a salesman for Hudson's Bay Wholesale and McNull and Co. for 45 years. Bannister continued to reside in Regina as of 1981. Bannister married Jean Green of Medicine Hat, Alberta in May 1924. They had three children: Mildred Lockwood (married name), William Edwin Bannister, and Jean Matchett (married name).

Agnew, Arnold LePage, 1891-1982

  • PA 113
  • Personne
  • 1891-1982

Arnold LePage Agnew was born on January 8, 1891 in Prince Albert, North-West Territories (later known as Saskatchewan) to Thomas James and Ida Mary (Hyslop) Agnew. He worked in the real estate and insurance industry in Prince Albert until his retirement in 1960.

Active in the Prince Albert community, Agnew was a member of the choir of the Cathedral Church of St. Alban the Martyr and served as a lay delegate to the General Synod of the Anglican Church. He was also active in the Prince Albert Historical Society and Prince Albert Little Theatre. A Freemason, Agnew was a Past Master and Life Member of the Kinistino Lodge No. 1 A.F. and A.M. at Prince Albert and an affiliated Past Master of Shellbrook Lodge No. 171 G.R.S. A.F. and A.M.

Agnew died in Prince Albert on August 12, 1982.

Agnew and his wife, Kathleen Dewdney, had five children: Ivan; Daphne; Patricia; Thomas and Arnold.

Trant, William, 1844-1924

  • PA 126
  • Personne
  • 1844-1924

William Trant was born in Leeds, Yorkshire, England March 14, 1844 to Mr. and Mrs. William Trant. He was educated at the Mechanic's Institute and Grammar School in Leeds. Around 1863, Trant founded the Leeds Astronomical Society. He also began working in publishing. In 1867, Trant moved to London, working as a journalist and an author, then to Paris, France as a war correspondent. He traveled extensively, including moving to India where he became an editor and founded several papers. In 1889, he emigrated to Canada.

In Canada, Trant initially homesteaded in an English settlement, Cotham, near Dubuc, North-West Territories. He briefly worked for the Regina Leader, once as staff and in 1901-1902 as an editor, was an editor of the Regina Standard, and worked as clerk to the Rumbler Paul Company. He was called to the bar in 1904 and practiced law in Arcola and Regina. He was appointed Police Magistrate of Regina in 1907. Trant became the first Provincial Archivist in 1914 and served until his death in 1924. In 1917, he moved to Victoria, British Columbia where he lived until his death.

Trant organized the Regina Agricultural Society, helped organize the Children's Aid Society and the Shakespeare Club, and was president of the Canadian Club. As well, Trant continued to author articles for English periodicals throughout his time in Saskatchewan.

Robbins, Herb, 1919-2004

  • PA 13
  • Personne
  • 1919-2004

Freddie Herbert Robbins was born on July 18, 1919. He received his early training in architecture from the Canadian National Railways' Architect's Office in Winnipeg, Manitoba. He later earned a Bachelor of Architecture degree from the University of Manitoba. Robbins was granted membership to the Royal Architectural Institute of Canada, and to the Saskatchewan Association of Architects in 1954.

Robbins began his professional architectural career as Chief Draftsman with the Canadian National Railways' Architect's Office in Winnipeg. He then held the position of Assistant Architect with the Government of Saskatchewan Department of Public Works in the early-to-mid 1950s. Robbins established a private architectural firm with Edward J. McCudden in the mid 1950s. He later ran his own architectural firm, Robbins Architect Ltd., until his retirement in 1987.

Herb Robbins was married to Gladys Robbins. Together, they operated Ladyrand Ranch east of Regina and enjoyed gardening. Herb Robbins died on December 28, 2004.

Saskatchewan History and Folklore Society Inc., 1957-

  • PA 14
  • Collectivité
  • 1975-

The organizational meeting of the Saskatchewan History and Folklore Society Inc. (SHFS) was held on August 17, 1957 in Fort Qu'Appelle, Saskatchewan. 25 people were in attendance at the meeting, called by Richard Johnston and Blodwen Davies of the Canadian Folk Music Society. The first regular meeting was held in Regina on November 21, 1957. Everett Baker served as the first president. The SHFS was incorporated as a non-profit corporation on February 28, 1975 under the provisions of The Societies Act.

The mandate of the SHFS is to gather, preserve and promote interest in the history and folklore of Saskatchewan. The activities of the SHFS include gathering and preserving stories, poems, reminiscences, songs, photographs, oral histories and biographies, etc; offering motorcoach tours to places of historical interest; marking historical sites and trails; sponsoring performances; providing financial assistance and bursaries for members' historical projects; and presenting awards to individuals and organizations working to raise public awareness of Saskatchewan's history and folklore. Throughout its existence, numerous committees have been established to represent areas of special interest. Folklore magazine, established in 1979, is published quarterly along with a newsletter.

The SHFS is a provincial organization with members at large. Local branches can be established with the approval of the provincial body. The main office of the SHFS is located at 1870 Lorne Street in Regina. The SHFS currently (2012) receives funding from the sale of memberships, publications and other means and from Saskatchewan Lotteries. The SHFS is governed by an executive, including a president, past president, vice-president and treasurer, and administered by staff including the executive director and Folklore editor.

Résultats 1 à 10 sur 297