Showing 6899 results

Authority record

Saskatchewan. Parks and Conservation Branch

  • GA 108
  • Secondary Agency
  • 1960-1964

During the 1960/61 fiscal year, the Conservation Branch of the Department of Natural Resources was reorganized into the Parks and Conservation Branch to accommodate the parks functions formerly performed by the Parks Branch of the Department of Travel and Information. Headed by a director who reported to the assistant deputy minister, the branch originally consisted of three divisions: the Park Planning Division; the Conservation Information Service; and the Saskatchewan Museum of Natural History.

The Park Planning Division was responsible for the planning of provincial parks, historic sites, Trans-Canada Highway camp and picnic sites, provincial highway campgrounds and rest sites. The division also acquired land for park development, maintained records of the disposition of land belonging to the department and administered the regional parks assistance program.

The Conservation Information Service was responsible for providing information and education services to departmental staff and the general public. The Service produced press releases, magazine articles and radio and television programs; maintained collections of photographs, slides, and moving images; erected exhibits; prepared and distributed publications; and answered requests for information.

The Museum of Natural History in Regina worked to generate interest in Saskatchewan's natural history. The museum conducted field work; operated exhibits, hosted guided tours and educational programs for children and disseminated information through publications, news releases, and radio and television programs.

The Regional Parks Division was added to the branch during the 1963/64 fiscal year to provide facility and layout design assistance.

On April 1, 1964, the Parks and Conservation Branch was restructured as part of a larger reorganization whereby the functions of the department were reorganized into three major sectors - Resource Programs, Recreational Programs and Northern Programs. The parks functions were transferred to several newly-created branches in the Resource Programs Sector while the Conservation Information Service became an independent branch outside of the major sectors called the Conservation Information Branch.

Saskatchewan. Conservation Information Branch

  • GA 109
  • Secondary Agency
  • 1964-1972

The Conservation Information Branch was established in the Department of Natural Resources during the 1964/65 fiscal year. Led by a director who reported directly to the deputy minister, the branch's original responsibilities included: preparing and distributing publications, including provincial park brochures and fish and game guides; preparing and distributing news releases and feature articles to the news media; producing television and radio programs, including "Northern News", a radio broadcast from Prince Albert to residents of northern areas six days a week; acquiring and lending audio-visual materials; conducting advertising campaigns; answering requests for information; and preparing and editing the departmental newsletter.

One of the branch's major publications was "The Resource Reader", which consisted of loose information sheets designed to be collected in a binder. It was distributed to field staff, students, teachers and the general public. The major subject areas covered included conservation, wildlife, fish, birds, reptiles, forestry, history and folklore, parks and recreation. The branch also produced "The Resource Report", a weekly compilation of news releases on departmental activities distributed to departmental personnel, the media and various interest groups.

During the 1968/69 fiscal year, the branch began operating a telephone information line in Regina. The "Resource Phone" supplied current information on hunting, fishing, skiing and park reports in season. Additional lines were later set up in Prince Albert and Saskatoon. During the 1970/71 fiscal year, a comprehensive manual governing the implementation of the Department's standard signing system was produced by the branch to accompany the signs that were installed throughout the province.

In 1972, The Conservation Information Branch was reorganized into the Extension Services Branch.

Saskatchewan. Dept. of Advanced Education and Manpower

  • GA 11
  • Primary Agency
  • 1983-1987

The legislation creating the Department of Advanced Education and Manpower was assented to on April 29, 1983. The new department integrated functions previously delivered by the Departments of Continuing Education, Labour, Industry and Commerce, and Culture and Youth. On May 5, 1983, the Department of Continuing Education was absorbed into the new department.

The new department's responsibilities included the coordination of federal-provincial cost-shared occupational training programs, such as Adult Basic Education and Vocational Rehabilitation of Disabled Persons; the registration of private vocational schools in the province; the administration of federal and provincial loan, scholarship and bursary programs; and the administration of grant payments to universities, community colleges, and other post-secondary institutions and agencies.

The department was also responsible for programs and services related to job placement, labour market research, vocational guidance, employment counselling and the apprenticeship and trade certification programs.

Many of the department's programs and services were aimed at increasing the employability of individuals and groups underrepresented in the labour market, such as women, youth, aboriginals, people with mental and physical handicaps, and residents of Northern Saskatchewan.

The department was presided over by a Minister and Deputy Minister and was originally organized into four divisions: Advanced Education; Manpower; Planning and Evaluation and Administrative and Financial Services. There was also a University Affairs Branch and Communications Branch.

The Advanced Education Division originally had four branches: Program Development and Standards; Occupational Training; Community Colleges and Northern. The division was also responsible for the Saskatchewan Skills Extension Program, technical institutes, and vocational centres. In August, 1984 the Institute Operations Branch was established to support and co-ordinate the delivery of technical/vocational training in the province. During the 1985-1986 year, the division assumed the responsibilities of the Apprenticeship and Trade Certification Branch and the Northern Branch became an independent division with responsibility for occupational training, financial services, program development, and funding for three northern community colleges.

The Manpower Division originally consisted of six branches: Labour Market Planning and Information; Apprenticeship and Trade Certification; Career Services; Native Services; Youth Services and Women's Services. During the 1983-1984 year, Career Services was transferred to the Community Colleges Branch. In 1984-1985, Labour Market Planning and Information moved to the Planning and Evaluation Division. The Apprenticeship and Trade Certification Branch moved to the Advanced Education Division in 1985-1986. The Manpower Division was transferred out of the department and to the Employment Development Agency in December, 1985 while the Women's Services Branch became part of the Women's Secretariat in April, 1986.

The Planning and Evaluation Division originally consisted of three branches; Policy, Planning and Evaluation; Management Information Systems and Human Resources. The Division was responsible for strategic planning, policy formulation, program evaluation, budgeting, management information systems and human resource development. During 1984-1985, the Management Information Systems Branch became the Information Resources Management Services Branch and the Labour Market Planning and Information Branch was created. The Human Resources Branch became an independent division through an amalgamation of personnel services for the Departments of Advanced Education and Manpower, Education and the Saskatchewan Library.

The Administrative and Financial Services Division originally included the following branches: Administrative Services; Financial Planning and Student Financial Services. The branches were responsible for departmental budget preparation, office services, and administering grant payments and financial assistance programs.

The University Affairs Branch assumed the responsibilities of the Saskatchewan Universities Commission in August, 1983. The branch was responsible for the financing and overall development of the University of Regina, the University of Saskatchewan and all federated and affiliated colleges.

The Communications Branch promoted departmental activities and informed the general public, news media, and other organizations and individuals of the department's programs and policies through news releases, annual reports, speeches, audio/visual materials and paid advertising.

Significant movement of programs within branches occurred during the department's existence.

On April 1, 1987, the Department of Advanced Education and Manpower was combined with the Department of Education and the Saskatchewan Library to form one department with responsibility for K-12 education, all post secondary education and training through the universities, technical institutes and community colleges and coordination of all libraries in the province.

Saskatchewan. Dept. of Natural Resources. Extension Services Branch

  • GA 110
  • Secondary Agency
  • 1972-1974

In 1972, the Department of Natural Resources underwent a major reorganization. The Conservation Information Branch; the Museum of Natural History; and the Hunter Safety Program were amalgamated to form the new Extension Services Branch. The branch's primary mandate was to educate the public on the management and utilization of Saskatchewan's renewable resources including fish, timber, and wildlife. The branch was managed by a director, who reported to the associate deputy minister.

The Conservation Information Service was responsible for public education and awareness. The division's activities included: preparing and distributing promotional materials and informational items, including pamphlets, guides, stickers, special publications and "The Resource Report", a weekly collection of press releases and articles featuring departmental activities; operating telephone information lines in Regina, Moose Jaw, Saskatoon and Prince Albert; organizing advertising campaigns; assisting with special events; and producing news programs for radio and television, including the "Northern News" radio program broadcast from Prince Albert to all northern areas.

The Museum of Natural History hosted visitors at its permanent facility in Regina; offered various public education programs; designed, created and installed interpretive displays in provincial parks, recreation areas and regional parks; conducted archaeological research; and administered the provincial historic sites program.

The Hunter Safety Program, formerly under the jurisdiction of the department's Wildlife Branch, offered training on the proper handling of firearms and ammunition, safe hunting practices, game identification and field survival. The program, taught by volunteer instructors and administered with the co-operation of the Saskatchewan Wildlife Federation, was offered to schools, community groups, armed forced cadet leagues and other interested parties. The program's supervisors were located in Regina and Prince Albert.

In 1973, the Hunter Safety Program was renamed the Firearm Safety Program. The Extension Services Branch became responsible for standardizing the department's visual identity through the design, planning and production of displays, printed materials, signs, promotional items and advertising. The "Northern News" radio program was transferred to the newly established Department of Northern Saskatchewan and was produced from La Ronge. On April 1, 1974, the Department of Natural Resources and the Tourist Branch of the Department of Industry and Commerce were amalgamated to form the Department of Tourism and Renewable Resources. The Extension Services Branch continued to operate in the new department with a modified structure and mandate.

Saskatchewan. Executive Council. Information Services Branch

  • GA 111
  • Secondary Agency
  • 1965-1987

The Information Services Branch of Executive Council was established around 1965. The branch office was located in the Legislative Building in Regina. Headed by a director, the branch's original functions included advertising; preparing and distributing news releases and assisting other government departments, agencies, and crown corporations in preparing news releases; providing photographic and art services; and providing audio-visual services.

Around 1974, responsibility for the Provincial Inquiry Centre was transferred to the Information Services Branch. The centre provided information and referrals to the public regarding all provincial government departments and agencies. The service was provided through toll-free telephone service to all Saskatchewan residents. The branch also assumed responsible for TWX teletypewriter communications. Around 1977, the branch was assigned responsibility for the government's visual identity program, which established standards and guidelines for presenting a high quality and consistent visual portrayal of the provincial government and it's programs and institutions. The stylized wheat sheaf became the basic symbol of the province's visual identity program.

In 1982, Photographic Art Services was transferred to the Department of Revenue, Supply and Services while the Provincial Inquiry Centre was transferred to the Provincial Secretary. By 1985, the branch's functions had been pared down to providing information and news release services only. In 1987, the branch was reorganized into the Information Services Division of the newly created Public Affairs Branch of Executive Council.

Saskatchewan. Dept. of Revenue, Supply and Services

  • GA 112
  • Primary Agency
  • 1978-1983

On January 17, 1978, the Department of Revenue and the Department of Government Services were amalgamated into the newly created Department of Revenue, Supply and Services. The department was administered by a minister, a deputy minister, executive directors at the division level and directors at the branch level. The department originally consisted of three divisions: Revenue Division; Operations Division; and Systems Division.

The Revenue Division administered Saskatchewan's direct consumption taxes, such as the education and health tax and the motive fuel and tobacco tax. The division also administered selected miscellaneous revenue sources and certain grant and refund programs and monitored the revenue collection activities of all government departments and agencies.

The Operations Division supplied central services to government departments and some Crown Corporations. Those services included: land and air transportation; mail and telephone services; quick print and special printing services; photographic services; government purchasing; official government publications; and office supplies. The division also provided accounting, administrative support services, and personnel and training services for the Department of Revenue, Supply and Services.

The Systems Division provided centralized systems and computer services to government agencies. It also provided management analyst services, such as organizational analysis, personnel administration, statistical analysis, management engineering studies, and assistance in the design, development and implementation of automated systems.

Around 1980, the Operations Division was reorganized whereby the accounting, administrative support services and personnel and training functions were transferred to the newly created Administrative Services Division.

Effective May 26, 1983, the Department of Revenue, Supply and Services was reorganized into two new departments: the Department of Revenue and Financial Services and the Department of Supply and Services.

The ministers of the Department of Revenue, Supply and Services were Wesley Robbins (January 17, 1978-May 8, 1982) and Joan Duncan (May 8, 1982-May 26, 1983).

Saskatchewan. Dept. of Revenue, Supply and Services. Operations Division

  • GA 113
  • Secondary Agency
  • 1978-1983

The Operations Division of the Department of Revenue, Supply and Services was managed by an executive director with directors/supervisors at the branch/agency level. The division originally consisted of eight branches and agencies as follows: Administration Branch; Central Vehicle Agency; Mail and Telecommunications Branch; Office Services Agency; Personnel and Training Branch; Purchasing Agency; Queen's Printer; and Supply Agency.

The primary responsibilities of the Operations Division included: supplying and maintaining ground and air vehicles; operating the Saskatchewan Air Ambulance Program; operating the mail and messenger service between government offices; providing central services in photocopying, duplicating and bindery; acquiring goods and services through the tender process and the disposal of surplus goods; operating a stockroom to supply common office supplies to government; and distributing acts and publications.

Around 1980, the Personnel and Training Branch and the Administration Branch were transferred to the department's Administrative Services Division. Around 1982, the Photographic Services Agency, which provided photography and darkroom services to government and maintained a complete photographic library, was transferred from Executive Council, Information Services Branch to the Operations Division.

In 1983, the Department of Revenue, Supply and Services was reorganized into two new departments: the Department of Revenue and Financial Services and the Department of Supply and Services. The functions of the Operations Division were assumed by the Commercial Services Division of the new Department of Supply and Services.

Saskatchewan. Dept. of Travel and Information

  • GA 114
  • Primary Agency
  • 1957-1960

The Department of Travel and Information was established on April 1, 1957. The newly created department took over many of the functions previously assigned to the Bureau of Publications. The department originally consisted of five branches, as follows: Tourist Branch; Parks Branch; Information Branch; Special Projects Branch and Photographic Services Branch. Russ Brown served as minister and T.L. Hill served as deputy minister. Each branch was managed by a director.

Departmental activities included promoting Saskatchewan as a tourist destination; administering the province's historic sites program; developing and supervising local and provincial recreation and resort areas within provincial parks or forests; publishing and distributing "Saskatchewan News" and other publications such as pamphlets, bulletins or brochures which were not required to be published by the Queen's Printer; creating and acquiring photographs for promotional use; creating displays for exhibitions, fairs and other public events; and providing information on the province to the media and the general public through print, radio and television.

During the 1958/59 fiscal year, the Information Branch and Special Projects Branch were reorganized into a new Information Branch to provide comprehensive and centralized information services to the media and the general public. A new Public Relations Branch was created to implement and maintain a standardized public relations program for all government departments and agencies.

Effective April 1, 1960, the Department of Travel and Information was reorganized into the new Department of Industry and Information.

Saskatchewan. Dept. of Industry and Information

  • GA 115
  • Primary Agency
  • 1960-1965

The Department of Industry and Information was established on April 1, 1960 through an amalgamation of functions formerly performed by the Industrial Development Office; the Department of Travel and Information; the Department of Municipal Affairs; the Department of Co-operation and Co-operative Development and the Office of the Agent-General. Managed by a minister, a deputy minister and an associate deputy minister, the department originally consisted of nine branches and divisions as follows: Industrial Development Office; Economic Research Branch; Freight Services Division; Trade Services Division; Agent-General's Office; Travel Bureau; Information Branch; Photographic Services; and Public Relations Branch.

Functions of the department included promoting Saskatchewan's industrial and commercial development; providing assistance to industries operating and intending to operate in the province; reviewing and analysing transportation services in Saskatchewan and providing information and assistance relating to freight rates and other transportation related matters; cooperating with municipalities and other organizations to promote social and economic development; conducting economic development research; providing information on the services provided by Saskatchewan government departments and agencies; and promoting Saskatchewan as a tourist destination.

The Administrative Services Branch was created in August 1960 to manage the personnel, accounting, budgeting, procurement and mail services functions for the department. In October 1961, the department was tasked with providing guidance and assistance with the publicity and public relations for the Wascana Centre Project, a plan to develop an area of Regina encompassing government, a university campus and city parklands to be known as Wascana Centre. During the 1962-63 fiscal year, the Freight Services Division was combined with a new Research Division to form the Transportation Branch and the Public Relations Branch was eliminated.

In 1964, several recommendations were implemented from the Interim Report of the Royal Commission on Government Administration (the Johnson Commission) relating to the department's information services functions. The Information Branch was decentralized effective November 1, 1964 when its functions were transferred to Executive Council and the Queen's Printer. The Department of Industry and Information was reorganized into the Department of Industry and Commerce effective March 16, 1965.

Ministers of the Department of Industry and Information were as follows: Russell Brown (April 1, 1960-May 22, 1964); Herbert Charles Pinder (May 22, 1964-December 31, 1964) and Gordon B. Grant (December 31, 1964-March 16, 1965).

Saskatchewan. Bureau of Publications

  • GA 116
  • Primary Agency
  • 1922-1957

The Bureau of Publications was established on May 1, 1922. A minister was assigned overall responsibility for the bureau while a Commissioner of Publications was appointed by the minister to manage the daily administration. The bureau's original mandate was operating travelling libraries; lending books to clubs, associations and individuals under a system referred to as "The Open Shelf" ; preparing and procuring moving pictures illustrating various phases of the activities of the Government of Saskatchewan for educational purposes; publishing all advertisements required by the government other than "The Saskatchewan Gazette"; and publishing books, pamphlets, or bulletins issued by government departments that were not required to be published by the King's Printer.

In 1944, responsibility for the travelling and open shelf libraries was transferred to the Provincial Librarian. By the mid 1950s, the Bureau's mandate had been expanded considerably. In 1956, the Bureau was organized into numerous sections and branches as follows: News; Special Projects; Mailing Room; Photographic Services; Tourist Branch; Northern Branch and Parks Branch. The Tourist Branch was responsible for developing and promoting Saskatchewan's tourism industry. The Parks Branch was tasked with developing and supervising designated recreation and resort areas within provincial parks or forests. Photographic Services provided a variety of photographic services to all government agencies.

On March 29, 1957 the Bureau of Publications Act was repealed and the bureau's functions were transferred to the newly created Department of Travel and Information effective April 1, 1957.

The Ministers in charge of the Bureau of Publications included: Samuel J. Latta (1923-1930); Howard McConnell (1930-1934); Charles Dunn (1935-1938); E.M. Culliton (1939-1941); William Franklin Kerr (1942-1944); Clarence M. Fines (1944-1952); Joseph W. Burton (1952-1956) and Russ Brown (1956-1957).

The Commissioners of the Bureau of Publications were as follows: William A. MacLeod (1923-1927); William Franklin Kerr (1927-1928); T.A. McInnis (1931-1934); Samuel J. Latta (1935-1944); Galen H. Craik (1945-1955); and W. Roy Bell (1956).

Results 11 to 20 of 6899