Showing 38 results

Authority record
Corporate

StarPhoenix, 1928-

  • PA 08
  • Corporate
  • 1928-

The StarPhoenix daily newspaper was created in 1928 as the result of the amalgamation of two different newspapers in Saskatoon, The Daily Phoenix and The Daily Star serving central and northern Saskatchewan.

The Daily Phoenix was started as Saskatoon's first printed newspaper, the Saskatoon Phenix on October 17, 1902 by the Norman brothers G. Wesley and Leonard. It was purchased by a company headed by Dr. J.H.C. Willoughby in 1905 and sold shortly after to J.A. Aiken who changed the name to The Daily Phoenix. The Daily Star began May 12, 1906 as a weekly publication called The Capital owned by G.M. Thompson and C.E. Tyron. It became a daily issue in 1909 and changed ownership to W.F. Herman and Talmage Lawson in March of 1912 who then named it the Daily Star.

In the fall of 1918, Northern Publishers, a subsidiary of the Leader Publishing Company in Regina, bought the Daily Phoenix. On January 31, 1923 the Meilicke family who were shareholders in the Leader Publishing Company purchased both The Daily Star and The Daily Phoenix. Both publications were then sold to Clifford Sifton on January 1, 1928 and were amalgamated into one newspaper named the Star-Phoenix on September 12 of that year. The Sifton family continued ownership until February 27, 1996 when the paper was sold to Hollinger Newspapers. The StarPhoenix was purchased by CanWest Global Communications Corporation on July 31, 2000.

In its history the newspaper's title heading has appeared in various forms, including Saskatoon Star-Phoenix and Star Phoenix, but the current presentation is StarPhoenix.

Claybank Brick Plant, 1898-1991

  • PA 1
  • Corporate
  • 1898-1991

The origins of the Claybank Brick Plant go back to 1886 when Tom McWilliams, a homesteader in the Claybank, Saskatchewan area, began mining heat-resistant or 'refractory' clay, on his property. This type of clay is well-suited for manufacturing fire brick, which is used to insulate boilers, fireplaces, furnaces, and other high-heat areas. In 1904 Mr. McWilliams entered into a formal agreement with the Moose Jaw Fire Brick and Pottery Company, which acquired the original McWilliams homestead plus other nearby clay deposits. Development of the property was hindered by lack of access to primary markets, but when the Canadian Northern Railway line was built in the district in 1910, the access problem was solved and plant construction could begin.

In 1912 the Moose Jaw Fire Brick and Pottery Company restructured, purchased Mr. McWilliams' shares, and became Saskatchewan Clay Products. (This was a private company that was not related to the Crown Corporation Saskatchewan Clay Products, which was founded in 1945.) The brick plant was completed in 1914, only to close until 1916 due to World War I and an economic recession.

The company was reopened in 1916 as Dominion Fire Brick and Clay Products Ltd. The revitalized company expanded its product line to include face brick and specialized firebrick. In the 1920s the company began producing high grade refractory tiles. These specialized tiles were used for flue and furnace linings, steam engine linings and locomotive arch bricks. This product helped the company survive the Depression. By 1938 the Claybank Brick Plant was the busiest in the province. During World War II, the company's products were used extensively by the Royal Canadian Navy in the construction of corvettes. By 1950 the plant was the largest in the province.

In 1954 the Claybank Brick Plant was purchased by the Alberta company Redcliffe Pressed Brick and renamed Dominion Fire Brick and Clay Products (1954) Limited. For the rest of its operating history, ownership of the plant would be from outside the province of Saskatchewan. In 1955 controlling interest in the company was purchased by A.P. Green Fire Brick Company of Mexico, Missouri. This company, one of North America's leading producers of refractory products, modernized the plant's operations. One of the first changes was the conversion of six of the ten beehive kilns to natural gas from the traditional lignite coal. This change meant the end of face brick production, as face brick got its coloring from the coal-fired kilns. The company was also losing market share for its refractory products, primarily because diesel locomotive engines were being adopted by the railroads. The company tried to compensate for these losses by aggressively selling other forms of fire brick, a technique that was only partially successful.

By 1962 A.P. Green had complete control of the Claybank Brick Plant, although the company continued to operate under the name Dominion Fire Brick and Clay Products until 1970. By 1971 the plant became known as a subsidiary of A.P. Green Refractories (Canada) Ltd. This full integration limited the plant's prospects and appears to have accelerated the plant's final economic decline. Dwindling markets, changing technologies, outmoded equipment and corporate downsizing all contributed to the plant's closure in 1989.

Following the closure of the plant in June 1989 the Province of Saskatchewan indicated its intention to designate the plant as a provincial heritage site. In 1992 A.P. Green donated the site, including the brick plant, machinery and equipment to the Saskatchewan Heritage Foundation. In 1996 the plant was declared a national historic site. In 1998 the Claybank Brick Plant was officially designated as Provincial Heritage property.

Grain Services Union, 1936-

  • PA 181
  • Corporate
  • 1936-

The Grain Services Union traces its roots back to 1936 when elevator agents and office staff working for the Saskatchewan Wheat Pool formed the Saskatchewan Wheat Pool Employees' Association (SWPEA).

Over the years, SWPEA expanded to include all workers in Saskatchewan Wheat Pool's head office, elevator construction and repair division, terminal elevator offices, livestock division, and publications division.

In 1973, country elevator and construction employees of Manitoba Pool Elevators joined the union, and in 1974 the name was changed to the Grain Services Union.

Other groups of workers also organized to join the GSU: AgPro Grain terminal elevator employees in Saskatoon, Moose Jaw, and St. Boniface (formerly owned by Northern Sales and Elders Grain); AgPro Grain fish farm employees; Hillcrest Farms employees; Advanced Blueprint employees; and country elevator employees of Alberta Wheat Pool.

The Grain Services Union is affiliated to the Saskatchewan Federation of Labour, Alberta Federation of Labour, Manitoba Federation of Labour and was a direct affiliate to the Canadian Labour Congress until 1994. In that year, members voted to approve affiliating to the International Longshore and Warehouse Union (Canadian Area), although the connection to the CLC remains.

Wheatland Theatre Society, 1978-1989

  • PA 182
  • Corporate
  • 1978-1989

The Wheatland Theatre Society (W.T.S.) was incorporated in July 1978 under the auspices of the Canadian Actors' Equity Association. The Society was registered with the Professional Association of Canadian Theatres (P.A.C.T.) under the terms of the Non-Profit Organizations Act. Its mission was to develop and produce contemporary plays, especially those by Saskatchewan playwrights and to make these plays accessible to the public. The Society sought to promote and employ Saskatchewan Professional Theatrical talent.

The W.T.S. opened with a Christmas play in December 1978- "Mario et Mariette" ( The Gift of the Magi). They produced eleven plays in the following eleven months. They performed mainly for a lunchtime audience in their first location in the Northern Crown Building. Following a reorganization they performed Dickens' 'A Christmas Carol' in the old Labour Temple in December 1981. Following another hiatus, W.T.S. returned to lunchtime theatre in the Northern Crown Building in July 1982 with 'Regina, Regina'. The company then began performances at the old Capital Theatre. W.T.S. toured the province in 1985 with the Centennial production of 'Gabriel Dumont'. The very successful 'Farmin Cabaret' followed in 1986. This was their first tourism-convention show. In 1986, it secured its foundation with the beginning of 'The Wheaties', a second stage troupe presenting clowns, theatre classes, puppets, and school programs throughout Regina and area.

Though it performed to sold out houses in rural areas, it failed to attract a dedicated home audience. During its years of operation, its financial base was very tenuous. It failed for many years to receive accreditation from the Saskatchewan Arts Board which was a major funding source. This lack of accreditation affected its ability to attract corporate and institutional funding. In 1983 a meeting was held to discuss dissolution owing to a growing debt. The Society continued until 1989 when an ambitious fund raising project to restore and raffle a 1959 pink thunderbird car met with disaster. In a press release on September 26, 1989, the general manager of W.T.S. announced the suspension of Society operations effective October 1, 1989. In March 1990, the equipment was purchased by the T.C. Douglas Calvary Centre, a theatre for the performing Arts in Weyburn, Saskatchewan.

Matador Co-Operative Farm Association, 1946-1974

  • PA 208
  • Corporate
  • 1946-1974

Matador Co-Operative Farm Association was the first and the longest surviving of the Second World War veterans' co-operative farms. It began in 1946, with a group of 17 veterans who wished to farm but knew they could not afford to do so as individuals. They purchased land which had originally been the Matador Ranch near Kyle, Saskatchewan and Local Improvement District (L.I.D.) land in the area and began to develop their farm. Their first President was Lorne Dietrick and their long time Secretary-Treasurer was William Zazelenkchuk.

The Honourable John Sturdy, provincial Minister of Reconstruction and Rehabilitation, recognized that supporting co-operative farming might be a way to re-integrate many of the thousands of veterans returning home at the end of World War II as well as one possible solution to the problems of market instability, high input costs and rural isolation. He gave Matador, as well as other veteran co-operative farms much support in the early years.

Not all of the veterans were well suited to co-operative farming and some left the Matador group. New applicants would be asked what they could contribute to the Matador co-operative in terms of land, veteran's entitlement and/or cash. They would be credited with their contribution and with their hours of work at the time of distribution of payments. New members were selected by the membership of the farm co-operative and given a trial period to see if they were suitable. If members left the farm they were reimbursed for their equity in a manner described in the bylaws of the organization.

Much of the larger community initially saw co-operative farms as communistic. The Wheat Board sought to provide only one permit book to the Matador farm instead of allowing one permit book to each farmer. The taxation department insisted on taxing the farm as a corporation, with the result that more income tax was owed than would have been if each member of the co-operative farm filed as an individual. Despite these problems the Matador Co-Operative farmers overcame obstacles, diversified their agricultural base and ran a very successful operation, including grain, cattle, sheep, chickens and turkeys. Dominant society norms of competitiveness, individuality, hierarchy and loyalty to the nuclear family unit challenged the co-operative spirit in many of the co-operative farms; Matador Co-Operative Farm Association was not entirely immune to these norms.

Changes occurred in membership over the years. As single men married and began to raise families there were houses built for them with garden space. In 1956 and 1957 the farm experienced a period of turmoil when land which had been leased under individual names was available for sale. Individual farmers could take their land and leave the co-operative or put their land into co-operative equity. Two members, did, in fact leave at that time. By 1974 there were 13 outgoing members.

As original members aged and were ready to retire many of the cooperative farms were sold or the members began farming individually. Matador Co-Operative Farm Association faced the problem of how to pass on a very expensive operation to the next generation. Their solution was to negotiate with Allan Blakeney's Government to change the provisions of the Land Bank Act, to allow Matador Farm to be sold to the Land Bank in 1974. This allowed the original members to receive their equity and to retire. It also allowed the second generation to continue to farm the land as the Matador Farm Pool.

Family Service Bureau of Regina, 1946-

  • PA 230
  • Corporate
  • 1946-

The Bureau of Public Welfare was a private, voluntary organization established in Regina, Saskatchewan in 1913. The Bureau provided monetary relief to Regina citizens and coordinated the relief activities of various charity groups in the city. It also worked to rehabilitate criminals; prevent juvenile delinquency; promote child welfare and improve working conditions for women. In 1914, Regina City Council transferred responsibility for all relief administration to the Bureau. In 1918, the responsibility was given to the City Health Department and the Bureau of Public Welfare was abolished.

The economic depression of the 1930's necessitated the revival of the Bureau of Public Welfare. The Regina Welfare Bureau (as it was now called) was established in December, 1931 and incorporated under the provisions of The Benevolent Societies Act on June 10, 1946. The Bureau fostered the development of wholesome family life; and assisted families and individuals to return to or achieve a normal life and to take part in programs of the community for social betterment. On February 1, 1956, the Bureau changed its name to the Family Service Bureau of Regina to reflect its focus on family counseling. On May 22, 1998, the organization became known as Family Service Regina Incorporated.

Family Service Regina currently (2007) provides community services including counseling for families, couples, and individuals; the Employee and Family Assistance Program (EFAP); teen and young parent programs; family violence programs; family education; marriage preparation; balancing work and family seminars; life skills programs; and community volunteer opportunities.

The Family Service Bureau's organizational structure, developed in 1931, includes a board of directors; president, first vice-president, second vice-president, secretary, and treasurer. The executive director manages the daily operations and oversees the counselors and program, financial and administrative staff.

Southern Saskatchewan Co-operative Stock Yards, Limited, 1919-1965

  • PA 266
  • Corporate
  • 1919-1965

The Southern Saskatchewan Co-operative Stock Yards, Limited was incorporated in 1919 pursuant to An Act to Incorporate The Southern Saskatchewan Co-operative Stock Yards, Limited (SS.1918-19, c.88). The company, based in Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan, operated stockyards where livestock, including cattle, pigs, and sheep, were purchased and sold. Moose Jaw's location at the junction point of the Canadian Pacific Railway line to Winnipeg, Manitoba and the Soo Line to St. Paul, Minneapolis helped make the company the largest of its kind in the province.

The company was established by a group of nine farmers and ranchers from the Moose Jaw area. The nine provisional directors of the company first met in Moose Jaw on February 14, 1919 and began selling shares shortly thereafter. Edward Evans was appointed manager and Angus Macpherson was named secretary-treasurer.

The first general shareholders' meeting was held on June 18, 1919. The company's by-laws were adopted and John H. Grayson and Olaf Olafson were elected president and vice-president respectively. The company was directed by a board of directors and an executive committee while the day-to-day responsibilities were handled by the manager and secretary-treasurer.

In 1964, the company sold its land, buildings, equipment and inventory to the Saskatchewan Wheat Pool, who took over the operation on July 1, 1964. The Southern Saskatchewan Co-operative Stock Yards Ltd. was dissolved on February 26, 1965.

Gay and Lesbian Support Services of Saskatoon Inc., 1982-1986

  • PA 278
  • Corporate
  • 1982-1986

Gay and Lesbian Support Services of Saskatoon was a non-profit agency in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan established by a group of lesbians and by gay men. The agency was incorporated on May 31, 1982.

The mandate of the Gay and Lesbian Support Services of Saskatoon was to establish and operate an anonymous, confidential telephone listening and information service; to provide training for phone line counselors; to develop and provide support for self-help and support groups; to provide support and developmental expertise to persons within the community who wished to form independent organizations to meet the needs of the lesbian and gay community; to provide professional counseling (and/or referrals) to persons in distress; to provide meeting space for community organizations, self-help and support groups; and to network with other gay and non-gay organizations and professionals to provide better services to the gay and lesbian community, their families and their friends.

Gay and Lesbian Support Services of Saskatoon was dissolved on December 31, 1986.

Saskatchewan Gay Coalition, 1977-198?

  • PA 279
  • Corporate
  • 1977-1987

The Saskatchewan Gay Coalition was formed in December, 1977 by a group of lesbians and gay men who came together to work for the liberation of homosexuals within society. Branches of the Coalition were located in Regina, Saskatoon, Prince Albert and Moose Jaw. Gay communities that existed in Saskatchewan at the time decided to work together as a coalition to combat isolation and promote liberation.

The mandate of the Saskatchewan Gay Coalition was to oppose all forms of discrimination against gay men and lesbians; to oppose all forms of discrimination against all women; to foster the growth of the gay community on a province-wide basis; to articulate the gay lifestyle to the general public and to raise consciousness within the gay community.

The Coalition's monthly newsletter, Gay Saskatchewan, was distributed throughout the province.

The Saskatchewan Gay Coalition ceased to exist in the early 1980s.

Gay/Lesbian Community Centre of Saskatoon Inc., 1972-1985

  • PA 280
  • Corporate
  • 1972-1985

The Zodiac Friendship Society was a non-profit agency in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan incorporated on March 7, 1972. It operated as an umbrella organization devoted to gay political issues, education, counselling and support groups. The Society's social club, known as the Gemini Club, hosted weekly dances. The money generated at the dances was used to establish a gay community centre in downtown Saskatoon in March, 1973.

The mandate of the Zodiac Friendship Society was to promote educational, cultural, athletic and community activities for the homosexual community; to utilize all available club and private facilities for these activities; to promote and provide educational, recreational and athletic facilities for the use and benefit of the members and of the community at large; to take an active interest in the civic, commercial, social and moral welfare of the community at large; to unite members through the bonds of friendship, fellowship and mutual understanding; and to provide a forum and facilities for full and free discussions of all matters of public interest.

On January 1, 1975, the Zodiac Friendship Society was renamed the Gay/Lesbian Community Centre of Saskatoon. The Centre provided educational, cultural and social activities; provided counseling and aid services; provided a voice for the gay community in society at large; and worked for social change.

The Centre ceased operation in 1984 and was dissolved on November 29, 1985.

Results 1 to 10 of 38