Mostrar 7499 resultados

Registo de autoridade

Saskatchewan. Dept. of Continuing Education

  • GA 50
  • Primary Agency
  • 1972-1983

While The Department of Continuing Education Act was assented to on April 21, 1972, the first departmental annual report states that the department was created following the partial proclamation of the Act on July 1, 1972. The post-secondary and vocational training functions of the Department of Education were spun off as a separate department creating Continuing Education.

Gordon S. MacMurchy had been serving as Minister of Education prior to the split. The enabling legislation states that the Minister of Education would also serve as minister of the new department. Accordingly, MacMurchy continued to serve as both Minister of Education and minister of the new Department of Continuing Education to which he was officially appointed on April 21, 1972. He represented both departments until November 5, 1975. Ed Tchorzewski took over as minister of both departments at that time but a year later the portfolio for the Department of Continuing Education was given to Donald Faris.

The three major branches of the newly formed department were:
Colleges Branch which was responsible for community college and adult education development. This included operational coordination for the Saskatchewan Technical Institute (STI) in Moose Jaw and the Saskatchewan Institute of Applied Arts & Sciences (SIAAS) campuses in Regina and Saskatoon through the Saskatchewan Council of Institute Principals (SCIP). The principals reported directly to the Deputy Minister (DM) for most other purposes. These institutions later became the core of the Saskatchewan Institute of Applied Science and Technology (SIAST). The department was responsible for providing a number of training programs such as the Vocational Rehabilitation for Disabled Persons (VRDP) program, a Federal-Provincial initiative that was administered jointly by several provincial government bodies.

Research and Evaluation Branch which was responsible for the investigation of program needs, program analysis, systems analysis and development requirements for operational and program planning considerations.

Administrative Services Branch which was responsible for the personnel, accounting and budgeting of the department and also provided services to the Department of Education under joint arrangement. The Student Assistance Section was also part of this branch.

The department was also responsible for administering the University Act which in 1972 meant the University of Saskatchewan. The Deputy Minister served on the Board of Governors, Senate and various planning and operations committees. The University of Regina gained independent status in 1974.

In the 1973-1974 fiscal year, the SCIP became the Saskatchewan Committee of Institute Principals.

In 1974-1975, Student Assistance moved to the Research and Evaluation Branch.

A more wide ranging re-organization took place in 1975-1976. Operations Division was created, encompassing the technical institutes, community colleges and vocational centres, as well as the Program Development Branch. An Occupational Training Division took responsibility for Canada Manpower training programs, non-registered Indian and Métis programs, the VRDP Program and registration of private trade schools. A separate branch of Student Services was created. Administrative Services and Research & Planning Branches continued to report directly to the DM. The universities reported through the Universities Commission.

Assistant Deputy Ministers appear on the 1976-1977 organizational charts, responsible for the two new divisions although the positions were likely created along with the divisions during the previous fiscal year.

In 1977-1978, Research and Planning Branch became Policy Planning and Management Information Systems Branch.

In the 1980-1981 fiscal year another major restructuring took place. The new organizational structure consisted of the following, all reporting through a single ADM to the DM: Office of Native Career Development; Policy and Program Division; Institutional Division; Administrative and Financial Services Division; Occupational Training Division; Student Services Branch.

A special project, the Prince Albert Institute Project team also reported to the Deputy Minister.

Gordon Gray Currie became the final minister of the department on May 8, 1982.

The Department of Advanced Education and Manpower Act was assented to on April 29, 1983, transforming the Department of Continuing Education into the Department of Advanced Education and Manpower.

Canada. Office of the Registrar General of Canada

  • GA 3
  • Secondary Agency
  • 1868-1966

The Registrar General was established in 1868 under the Department of the Secretary of State of Canada, which was the precursor to the federal Department of the Interior. It kept the Great Seal of Canada, the Privy Seal of the Governor General, the Seal of the Administrator of Canada, and the Seal of the Registrar General of Canada, and registered all documents that might require the Great Seal or federal Crown registration. Until 1881 the Registrar General's duties included the maintenance of records produced in the land patenting process and the processing of land applications from institutions. This duty was then handed to the Department of the Interior's Lands Patent Branch. In 1883 all lands patent duties that fell under the auspices of the Dominion Lands Act (1872) were transferred from the Registrar General to the Lands Patent Branch. In 1966 the Registrar General became the Department of the Registrar General, a short-lived autonomous government department.

Canada. Lands Patent Branch

  • GA 5
  • Secondary Agency
  • 1881-1930

The Lands Patent Branch was originally established in 1881 to maintain the records produced in the land patenting process and to process land applications from institutions. It was originally administered from a central office in Ottawa, but an office was later opened in Winnipeg and local field staff assumed many of the lands patent duties. In 1883, the Lands Patent Branch took over the full functions of a land registry office in relation to federally-controlled western lands. Previously, many of these duties had been administered by the Office of the Registrar General of Canada, part of the Department of the Secretary of State of Canada. In 1928, the name of the agency was changed to Lands Patent Division. In 1930, the Lands Patent Division was dissolved when the provinces took over the responsibility for all unconveyed lands.

Saskatchewan. Dept. of Advanced Education and Manpower

  • GA 11
  • Primary Agency
  • 1983-1987

The legislation creating the Department of Advanced Education and Manpower was assented to on April 29, 1983. The new department integrated functions previously delivered by the Departments of Continuing Education, Labour, Industry and Commerce, and Culture and Youth. On May 5, 1983, the Department of Continuing Education was absorbed into the new department.

The new department's responsibilities included the coordination of federal-provincial cost-shared occupational training programs, such as Adult Basic Education and Vocational Rehabilitation of Disabled Persons; the registration of private vocational schools in the province; the administration of federal and provincial loan, scholarship and bursary programs; and the administration of grant payments to universities, community colleges, and other post-secondary institutions and agencies.

The department was also responsible for programs and services related to job placement, labour market research, vocational guidance, employment counselling and the apprenticeship and trade certification programs.

Many of the department's programs and services were aimed at increasing the employability of individuals and groups underrepresented in the labour market, such as women, youth, aboriginals, people with mental and physical handicaps, and residents of Northern Saskatchewan.

The department was presided over by a Minister and Deputy Minister and was originally organized into four divisions: Advanced Education; Manpower; Planning and Evaluation and Administrative and Financial Services. There was also a University Affairs Branch and Communications Branch.

The Advanced Education Division originally had four branches: Program Development and Standards; Occupational Training; Community Colleges and Northern. The division was also responsible for the Saskatchewan Skills Extension Program, technical institutes, and vocational centres. In August, 1984 the Institute Operations Branch was established to support and co-ordinate the delivery of technical/vocational training in the province. During the 1985-1986 year, the division assumed the responsibilities of the Apprenticeship and Trade Certification Branch and the Northern Branch became an independent division with responsibility for occupational training, financial services, program development, and funding for three northern community colleges.

The Manpower Division originally consisted of six branches: Labour Market Planning and Information; Apprenticeship and Trade Certification; Career Services; Native Services; Youth Services and Women's Services. During the 1983-1984 year, Career Services was transferred to the Community Colleges Branch. In 1984-1985, Labour Market Planning and Information moved to the Planning and Evaluation Division. The Apprenticeship and Trade Certification Branch moved to the Advanced Education Division in 1985-1986. The Manpower Division was transferred out of the department and to the Employment Development Agency in December, 1985 while the Women's Services Branch became part of the Women's Secretariat in April, 1986.

The Planning and Evaluation Division originally consisted of three branches; Policy, Planning and Evaluation; Management Information Systems and Human Resources. The Division was responsible for strategic planning, policy formulation, program evaluation, budgeting, management information systems and human resource development. During 1984-1985, the Management Information Systems Branch became the Information Resources Management Services Branch and the Labour Market Planning and Information Branch was created. The Human Resources Branch became an independent division through an amalgamation of personnel services for the Departments of Advanced Education and Manpower, Education and the Saskatchewan Library.

The Administrative and Financial Services Division originally included the following branches: Administrative Services; Financial Planning and Student Financial Services. The branches were responsible for departmental budget preparation, office services, and administering grant payments and financial assistance programs.

The University Affairs Branch assumed the responsibilities of the Saskatchewan Universities Commission in August, 1983. The branch was responsible for the financing and overall development of the University of Regina, the University of Saskatchewan and all federated and affiliated colleges.

The Communications Branch promoted departmental activities and informed the general public, news media, and other organizations and individuals of the department's programs and policies through news releases, annual reports, speeches, audio/visual materials and paid advertising.

Significant movement of programs within branches occurred during the department's existence.

On April 1, 1987, the Department of Advanced Education and Manpower was combined with the Department of Education and the Saskatchewan Library to form one department with responsibility for K-12 education, all post secondary education and training through the universities, technical institutes and community colleges and coordination of all libraries in the province.

Saskatchewan. Government Finance Office

  • GA 9
  • Primary Agency
  • 1947-1978

When the CCF government of T.C. Douglas was elected in July of 1944 there was a dramatic shift in the province's public policy. The creation of the Government Finance Office to oversee Crown Corporations was intended to expand and diversify the provincial economy with the greatest benefit given to the Saskatchewan taxpayer.

Under part two of the Crown Corporations Act of 1947 the government of the day created the Government Finance Office as the holding company for existing crown corporations. The first corporations to fall under the authority of the Government Finance Office had been created by order-in-council in 1945 as independent entities; however, under the amended Crown Corporations Act of 1947, the corporations were governed by part 2 of the Act. The crowns included the Saskatchewan Reconstruction Corporation, Saskatchewan Minerals, Saskatchewan Government Printing Company, Saskatchewan Reconstruction Housing Corporation, Saskatchewan Fur Marketing Service, Saskatchewan Transportation Company, Saskatchewan Lake and Forest Products Corporation, Saskatchewan Industries and Saskatchewan Government Insurance Office.

The Government Finance Office assumed all liabilities and assets by crowns to be used for public enterprises. The Lieutenant Governor had the authority to appoint at least three members of the Office. Those first members were appointed in April 1947, C.M Fines, Provincial Treasurer, J.H. Brocklebank, Minister of Municipal Affairs, O.W. Valleau, Provincial Secretary, as well as T. Lax, Deputy Provincial Treasurer and G.W. Cadbury, Chief Industrial Executive.

In May of 1964 the Liberals, led by W. Ross Thatcher, were elected. The Government Finance Office, while still responsible for arranging capital financing and administrative services for the Crowns, began to privatise certain ventures. This included part of Saskatchewan Minerals, the Saskatchewan Clay Products Division (as of 1966 Estevan Brick Limited) as well as withdrawing from the Industrial Development Fund, created under part 3 of the Crown Corporations Act, with an amendment to the Act in 1966.

June 1971 saw another shift in government with the election of The NDP and Allan E. Blakeney as premier. The Government Finance Office expanded the number of crown corporations within its mandate, including Saskatchewan Computer Utility (SaskComp) and the Saskatchewan Water Supply Board (SWSB). The reinvigorated Office continued to act as the intermediary between government and the crowns to ensure that the fiscal requirements of the crowns were consistent with prudent financial planning.

By 1977 the Office offered co-ordinated management services to all crowns of the government whether service or resource based. These included Potash Corporation of Saskatchewan, Saskatchewan Mining Development Corporation, Saskatchewan Minerals, Saskatchewan Forest Products and Saskatchewan Oil and Gas Corporation. Within the financial and services area the Office offered administrative services to Saskatchewan Government Insurance Office, Saskatchewan Economic Development Corporation, Saskatchewan Development Fund Corporation, the Municipal Financing Corporation of Saskatchewan, Agricultural Development Corporation of Saskatchewan, Saskatchewan Transportation Company, Saskatchewan Government Printing Company and Saskatchewan Fur Marketing Service. The GFO also had a broader role in the management of the major public utilities Saskatchewan Power Corporation (SPC) and Saskatchewan Telecommunications (SaskTel).

With an eye to the future the government reorganised the Government Finance Office, so as to better serve the publicly owned corporations, in 1978 and renamed the office the Crown Investments Corporation of Saskatchewan (CIC).

Saskatchewan. Lands Branch

  • GA 37
  • Secondary Agency
  • 1931-

From 1930 to 1947 the Lands Branch, and grant and lease functions, were part of the Department of Natural Resources (later the Department of Natural Resources and Industrial Development.) The initial legislation (The Provincial Lands Act, 1931 and The Land Utilization Act, 1935) and the legacy of the Federal Department of the Interior, which previously held jurisdiction over these responsibilities, provided the framework for Crown Land lease and sale accounting and administration. While the Lands Branch was part of the Department of Natural Resources, the Provincial Lands Division and then (in 1932) the Lands Patent Division carried out the grants and transfer of land. This included handling enquiries, application forms, payments, agreements and recording the disposition of land.

In 1948, control of the Lands Branch was transferred to the Department of Agriculture, which subsequently changed the responsibility for many of the functions from the Land Utilization Division to the Inspection Services Division. During the 1960s, The Agriculture Rehabilitation and Development Act resulted in many of the grants and leases only being permitted for projects related to the development and conservation of water supplies, soil improvement, and /or agricultural efficiency.

In 1975, the Lands Disposition and Records Division of the Lands Branch became responsible for land grants and transfers - by advertising land for lease/sale, by preparing land transfers, and by maintaining the records of lands. In 1984-1985, a reorganization of the Lands Branch saw many of these functions split between the Field Operations and Support Services divisions.

The transfer of the Lands Branch back to the Department of Agriculture and Food in 1993 resulted in another reorganization, splitting the control of leases and sales amongst geographically oriented divisions (i.e. northwest, south). In 1993-1994 the Branch operated under the Financial Support and Program Management Division as part of the Lands and Regulatory Management Branch. This Branch had a broader mandate, including livestock health and operations. With the abolishment of the Crow's Nest Pass annual railways subsidy in February 1995, Lands Branch assumed responsibility for management of the provincial share of the federal payout and amended rental rates on Crown agricultural leases.

In 1996, the splitting of the Lands and Regulatory Management Branch into three branches (Livestock and Veterinary Operations, Pasture, and Lands) resulted in Lands Branch becoming part of the Program and Services Division, where it remained until April 2005. This change marked the first time that the Lands Branch did not hold responsibility for the administration of provincial pastures and the Community Pastures Program. The responsibility was returned to the Branch in 2001 with the amalgamation of Pastures and Lands Branches.

In 2000, the stated mandate of Lands Branch was "to promote the sustainable and integrated use of Crown land while providing opportunities for diversification and economic growth." Between April 2002 and May 2004 the Department operated as the Department of Agriculture, Food and Rural Revitalization. Currently (2011) Lands Branch resides in the Ministry of Agriculture. While the Branch has experienced changes in its structure and in policy and program development, the basic function regarding the administration, sale and lease of Crown lands has not substantially altered throughout its history.

Saskatchewan Human Rights Commission

  • GA 1
  • Primary Agency
  • 1972-

The Saskatchewan Human Rights Commission was established in 1972, and five people were appointed by the Lieutenant-Governor-in-Council to serve five-year terms as Commissioners. The head office, located in Saskatoon, was opened in early 1973. Branch offices were opened in Regina in June of 1974, and in Prince Albert in October of 1974.

The Commission's mandate initially stated it was to administer equality and anti-discrimination legislation in Saskatchewan in the areas of housing, employment, employment applications and advertisements, public accommodation and education on the grounds of race, creed, religion, colour, sex, nationality or place of origin. In addition, the Commission also championed anti-discrimination education and awareness campaigns.

The Commission was charged with the responsibility for investigating complaints. Complaints were separated into formal and informal. A commission officer investigated alleged complaints of discrimination by interviewing witnesses and examining documentation. However, if a resolution was not reached at this informal stage, the Commission would then hold a formal inquiry into the complaint. If the complaint was proven, the defendant could be ordered to pay restitution to the complainant. Appeals to commission orders could be filed in the Court of Queen's Bench.

The Saskatchewan Human Rights Code was enacted as legislation effective 7 August 1979. Part One of the Code enshrined the fundamental rights of citizens in Saskatchewan protecting "the right to freedom of conscience, religion, expression, and association, the right to vote in provincial elections and the right to freedom from arbitrary arrest or detention". Part Two prohibits "discriminatory policies and practices in employment, education, public services, housing, contracts, publications, professional association and trade unions". The Act made it illegal to discriminate in any of the outlined areas, expanding on the 1972 definitions, on the basis of "age, ancestry, race or colour, family status, marital status, nationality or place of origin, physical or mental disability, receipt of public assistance, religion or creed, sex (covers sexual harassment and pregnancy discrimination) and sexual orientation". The Commission was further empowered to approve and encourage equity programs. In addition, the education and awareness programs were strengthened in the Code to further the principles of equality and diversity.

Due to budget constraints the Prince Albert office was closed in 1986. However, the 2000 annual report indicated that the Chief Commissioner was concerned that northern residents were not being adequately represented and met with community leaders, along with the Provincial Ombudsman and the Children's Advocate, to understand what the residents of the north need in terms of support from the Commission.

In May 2000 a bill was introduced to amend the Saskatchewan Human Rights Code. The amendments were the result of a survey conducted in 1996 entitled Renewing the Vision - Human Rights in Saskatchewan. The intention was to streamline the complaint process and change some of the terms of discrimination and create a human rights tribunal panel to enforce the provisions of the code.

The Commission continues to be busy at both the Saskatoon and Regina offices. As definitions of rights and freedoms continue to evolve, the Commission has a vital role in the lives of the citizens of Saskatchewan.

The Saskatchewan Human Rights Commission reports to the Minister of Justice.

Everton School District No. 4715, 1927-1971

  • LGA 83
  • Local Government
  • 1927-1971

On March 6, 1926, ratepayers in the Archerwell district of Saskatchewan selected a committee to handle the establishment of a school district. The first organizational meeting was held on June 27, 1927. J. Westburg, W. Allgrove and Sydney Cooper were elected Trustees of the proposed district. Everton School District No. 4715 was officially organized July 21, 1927.

The school was administered by three elected trustees, one of whom served as chairman, and a secretary-treasurer. The responsibilities of the school board included selecting and acquiring a school site and contracting the building of a school house; furnishing and maintaining the school, school grounds, buildings and equipment; engaging qualified teachers; providing books, globes, maps, and other supplies to teachers and students; administering grants; settling disputes; and maintaining school records and accounts.

The school district joined the Wadena Larger School Unit No. 46 in June 1946. In June 1959, The Everton School was closed. June 10, 1971, the district was officially disorganized.

StarPhoenix, 1928-

  • PA 08
  • Corporate
  • 1928-

The StarPhoenix daily newspaper was created in 1928 as the result of the amalgamation of two different newspapers in Saskatoon, The Daily Phoenix and The Daily Star serving central and northern Saskatchewan.

The Daily Phoenix was started as Saskatoon's first printed newspaper, the Saskatoon Phenix on October 17, 1902 by the Norman brothers G. Wesley and Leonard. It was purchased by a company headed by Dr. J.H.C. Willoughby in 1905 and sold shortly after to J.A. Aiken who changed the name to The Daily Phoenix. The Daily Star began May 12, 1906 as a weekly publication called The Capital owned by G.M. Thompson and C.E. Tyron. It became a daily issue in 1909 and changed ownership to W.F. Herman and Talmage Lawson in March of 1912 who then named it the Daily Star.

In the fall of 1918, Northern Publishers, a subsidiary of the Leader Publishing Company in Regina, bought the Daily Phoenix. On January 31, 1923 the Meilicke family who were shareholders in the Leader Publishing Company purchased both The Daily Star and The Daily Phoenix. Both publications were then sold to Clifford Sifton on January 1, 1928 and were amalgamated into one newspaper named the Star-Phoenix on September 12 of that year. The Sifton family continued ownership until February 27, 1996 when the paper was sold to Hollinger Newspapers. The StarPhoenix was purchased by CanWest Global Communications Corporation on July 31, 2000.

In its history the newspaper's title heading has appeared in various forms, including Saskatoon Star-Phoenix and Star Phoenix, but the current presentation is StarPhoenix.

Rural Municipality of Invergordon No. 430, 1911-

  • LGA 34
  • Local Government
  • 1911-

On June 16, 1911 a municipal committee of five members petitioned the Minister of Municipal Affairs for authority to proceed with the organization of a rural municipality in the area in townships 43, 44, 45a and 45 in range 22 and townships 43, 44 and 45 in ranges 23 and 24, west of the second meridian. The area consisted of 326 square miles with a population of 372. The Minister of Municipal Affairs granted approval and the Rural Municipality of Invergordon No. 430 was incorporated on December 11, 1911 pursuant to the Municipalities Act. The first municipal council consisted of reeve David Sutherland and six councillors. The first secretary-treasurer was W.E. Brock. The rural municipality, located approximately 50 kilometres southeast of Prince Albert, encompasses the communities of Crystal Springs, Tway, Meskanaw and Yellow Creek.

The municipal office is located in Crystal Springs. The rural municipality is responsible for providing public utilities and services, such as water, sewage disposal, heat, electrical power and waste management. It is also responsible for preparing assessment rolls and financial statements; collecting taxes; maintaining roads; preventing cruelty to animals and passing and enforcing by-laws. The municipality is currently (2009) administered by a reeve, six councillors and an administrator. The Council meeting is held on the second Wednesday of the month. The current population is 570.

Resultados 1 a 10 de 7499