- LGA 43
- Local Government
The Village of Truax, Saskatchewan was an urban municipality incorporated on September 9, 1912. The town was originally to have been named Schuett after Joseph Schuett, one of the first homesteaders in the district, but was named Truax, after Reuben Truax of Ontario, a close friend of Martin Schuett Sr. The Village of Truax was located on the Canadian National Railway line between Moose Jaw and Radville.
The village was governed by an elected council that could hire staff to manage daily administration and maintain municipal services, such as roads, utilities and recreation facilities. The responsibilities of the council included enforcing bylaws; waste management; fire protection; maintaining public utilities, roads and streets; issuing tax and assessment notices, and collecting taxes and other fees.
The Village of Truax was governed originally by an overseer, councilors, and a secretary-treasurer. Later, the governance structure of Saskatchewan villages changed to include a mayor (formerly the overseer), councilors and a secretary-treasurer. In Truax, the first overseer was F.A. Bennett, and the first secretary-treasurer was Joseph Duck. In February 1923, a fire consumed the Municipal Office building in Truax, destroying many of the records for the village.
On December 31, 1970, the Village of Truax reverted to a hamlet and sometime before 2002 the hamlet was dissolved. The residents of the community came under the jurisdiction of Elmsthorpe Rural Municipality No. 100.