Affichage de 6 résultats

Notice d'autorité
Architects

BLM Architects Ltd.

  • Collectivité
  • 1976-1996

BLM Architects Ltd. developed out of the partnership of H. K. (Ken) Black (1912-1993), Harry Larson (1923-1969), and Ken McMillan (1927-2009) that was known as Black, Larson, McMillan & Partners until H. K. Black retired in 1976. BLM merged in 1996 with Ellard Croft [possibly subsequently known as McMillan, Lerhrer, Ellard, Croft Architects]; staff included Grant Ross Cumbers (1919-2008).

Abugov Kaspar (firm)

  • Collectivité
  • 1989-

Partnership of Bruce Abugov and Frank Kaspar that began in 1989.

Black, Larson, McMillan & Partners

  • Collectivité
  • 1957-1975

Partnership formed in 1957 of Henry Kenneth Black (1912-1993), Ken McMillan, and Harry Larson (1923-1969).

Black, Henry Kenneth, 1912-1993

  • Personne
  • 1912-1993

Henry Kenneth (Ken) Black was born on May 19, 1912 as the first child to Henry Black (1875-1960) and Jennie Lenore Barker (1882-1950). Beginning in 1931, Black began to study architecture at the University of Toronto, where he would also played basketball and tennis. In 1934, he returned to Regina for a summer position with the architectural firm of Storey and Van Egmond. Upon his graduation from university (with a B.Arch. with Engineering option) in 1935 he moved to Swift Current where he worked as a construction engineer for the Prairie Farm Rehabilitation Administration (PFRA). Black returned to Toronto in 1937 and took a position with the firm Chapman and Oxley, and later in 1939 formed a partnership with John B. Parkin. Returning to Regina in 1941, Black enlisted in the armed forces where he served as a Base Planning Officer in Ottawa. In January 1946, he once again returned to Regina and established his own firm under the name H. K. Black Architect and Engineer, specializing in schools and hospitals. In 1957 Black formed a partnership with Harry Larson (1923-1969),and Ken McMillan (1927-2009), the firm would last until Black's retirement in 1975 at which time it became known as BLM Architects Ltd.

In addition to his architectural design activities, Black served as president of the Regina Chamber of Commerce, and on the boards of the United Appeal, Saskatchewan Roughriders, and the Regina YMCA.

Black married Rhoda Jones (1913-1986) on September 17, 1946 and together they had three children: Walter, Kenneth, and Donald. Black passed away on July 4, 1993.