Affichage de 7737 résultatsNotice d'autorité
- Secondary Agency
- PA 5
Estevan, Saskatchewan's brickmaking industry began as an offshoot of the coal industry in 1902. The first plant started in 1906 as a private company, Eureka Coal and Brick Co. In 1912 the plant was sold and renamed Estevan Brick and Coal Company. In 1918 it was sold again and renamed International Clay Products.
As Estevan clay was unsuitable for refractory (fire) bricks, the plant focused exclusively on face and common brick during its early years. In the 1920s, as part of a general plant expansion, the plant expanded its product line to include "Scots Gray" building tile, terra-cotta, quarry floor tiles, and pottery (wine jugs). This necessitated shipping in clay from Eastend for blending with Estevan clay.
In 1932 the plant closed due to the Great Depression. In 1945 the Saskatchewan government purchased the plant and reopened it as a Crown Corporation operating under the name Saskatchewan Clay Products. In 1964, the plant underwent another name change, to Estevan Clay Products Division. In 1965, the daily management of the plant was handed over to Industrial Management Ltd. The plant, which underwent another name change to Estevan Brick Ltd., became a limited liability company with the province as majority shareholder.
This structure continued until 1969, when the plant was sold to Peben Contractors Ltd. The revamped company, called Estevan Brick, introduced new product lines, including what was reputed to be the whitest brick produced in North America. In 1978 Estevan Brick became a division of Thunderbrick Ltd.. In 1992 it was sold again to Canada Brick, and in 1995 it was sold a final time to I-XL Industries Ltd. It was incorporated in 1995 as Estevan Brick (1995). In 1997 the plant was closed due to shrinking markets.
The plant's face brick can be found in a number of buildings in Western Canada and North Dakota, including the Estevan Court House (now a provincial heritage site), the Federal Building in Regina, the Assiniboia Court House, the Saskatoon Normal School, the Power Station at Estevan, and the SaskPower building in Regina. An official edict from the province, brought in in 1965 during the years of W. Ross Thatcher, ordered that buildings constructed with public money be built from Saskatchewan brick; hence many public buildings constructed during this period contain bricks from the Estevan brick plant. Much of the snow-white brick was sold in the province of Quebec.
- GA 6
- Secondary Agency
In 1965, the Saskatchewan government created a limited liability company, Estevan Brick Ltd., out of their clay products division of the Crown corporation Saskatchewan Minerals. The primary shareholder of this new company was the Saskatchewan government, but a private company, Industrial Management Ltd., was retained to manage the daily operations of the plant. The company operated in this manner until 1969, when the Saskatchewan government sold Estevan Brick Ltd. to Peben Contractors Ltd., a privately-owned company. The company produced face brick, building tile, terra-cotta, quarry floor tiles and pottery (wine jugs).
- LGA 47
- Local Government
In 1965, The School Act was passed by the Saskatchewan Government, allowing for the amalgamation of school boards. On January 1, 1966, the Board of the Regina Public School District No. 4 of Saskatchewan and the Board of the Regina Collegiate Institute School District No. 1 (High School) amalgamated to form the Board of Education for the Regina Public School District No. 4 of Saskatchewan and the Regina Collegiate Institute. The first meeting of the new Board was held on January 3, 1966. The first Board consisted of A.S. Cochrane (chairman); Dr. J.J.A. McLurg (vice-chairman) and seven members (A.S. Cochrane; Dr. J.J.A. McLurg; B.G. Brown; Ruth Mathison Buck; G.A. Dawley; J.A. Griffin and H. Ingham).
The Board was responsible for administering the public elementary and high schools in the City of Regina. In 1966, the Board was responsible for Balfour Technical School; 45 public elementary schools and 6 collegiates. The Board was elected through a public vote held every three years. Funding was secured through provincial grants and locally generated revenues. The Board's duties and powers included administering and managing the educational affairs of the school district; exercising general supervision and control over the schools in the district; approving administrative procedures pertaining to the internal organization, management and supervision of the schools; providing and maintaining school accomodation, equipment and facilities; and appointing and employing qualified teachers, principals and other necessary staff.
The administration office was located at 1860 Lorne Street. Senior administrative staff included the Director and Superintendent, who served as the chief executive officer; the Deputy Director and Deputy Superintendent; the Planning and Research Officer; the Secretary-Treasurer; the Chief Clerk and the Business Manager. Superintendents; assistant superintendents; consultants; principals, teachers and clerical and maintenance staff were also part of the administrative organization.
In 1978, all school districts became school divisions pursuant to the Education Act (S.S. 1978, c.17). The Regina Public School District No. 4 of Saskatchewan was disestablished and ceased to exist on January 1, 1979 while the Regina Collegiate Institute School District No. 1 (High School) was disestablished effective March 30, 1979. The Regina School Division No. 4 of Saskatchewan was established effective January 1, 1979 to continue administering and operating the public elementary and high schools in Regina.
- GA 8
- Primary Agency
Saskatchewan Minerals initial mandate was to oversee the production of Saskatchewan clay products. Early in 1946 the mandate expanded to include the production of sodium sulphate. The Crown consisted of two divisions, Saskatchewan Clay Products Division and the Sodium Sulphate Division.
Saskatchewan Clay Products plant was located in Estevan where brick and tile were produced for sale in Saskatchewan and abroad. This division also mined raw clay as part of its operation to supplement sales of the bricks and tiles. The plant operated under this name until 1966 when it was officially re-named the Estevan Brick Company. The government privatised the division in 1969.
The Sodium Sulphate division's first plant was opened in 1948 at Chaplin, Saskatchewan. The sodium sulphate (also known as salt cake) was to be used in the manufacturing of pulp and paper products. Over time, demand for the salt cake expanded and Saskatchewan Minerals purchased the Bishopric plant located in Mossbank.
In 1966 the construction of the Ingebrigt plant was begun to satisfy new demands for a higher grade of saltcake known as "detergent grade" to be used in the manufacturing of detergents as well as the glass and dyeing industries. 1981 saw the last expansion of the division when the plant at Gladmer, known as Sybouts, was opened.
Saskatchewan Minerals was privatised in 1988 and was purchased by Goldcorp Incorporated.
- PA 09
On January 25, 1967 representatives of the provincial government, provincial and municipal museums and the field director of the Canadian Museums Association met in Regina, Saskatchewan to discuss the formation of a provincial museums association in Saskatchewan. The first general meeting of the Saskatchewan Museums Association was held in Regina on April 8, 1967. The Saskatchewan Museums Association was incorporated as a non-profit corporation on December 20, 1968 under the provisions of The Societies Act. The name of the organization was changed to the Museums Association of Saskatchewan Incorporated on May 5, 1989.
The mandate of the Museums Association of Saskatchewan (MAS) is to further museum activities throughout the province; set up training and resource programmes; and develop guidelines for standards of museum operations for its members. The MAS offers certificate programmes; manages grants; offers educational and professional development opportunities; provides guidelines for recognized standards of museum operations; raises public awareness of museums; fosters communication among members of the museum community; and represents the interests and concerns of members to government and other agencies.
The MAS's office is currently (2010) located at 424 McDonald Street in Regina. The MAS is governed by an elected board of directors who are responsible for establishing the vision and goals of the organization. An executive and administrative staff deliver programs and services. Membership is open to Saskatchewan museums and individuals, including art galleries, community museums, larger urban museums, exhibition centres, archives, zoos, and historic parks and sites. The MAS currently receives funding from the federal and provincial governments and Sask. Lotteries.
- GA 4
- Primary Agency
In 1869, the Government of Canada finalized an agreement with the Hudsons Bay Company to acquire Ruperts Land from the Hudsons Bay Company, an area that incorporates all of the present-day provinces of Manitoba, Saskatchewan and Alberta, part of British Columbia and all of Nunavut, Yukon and the Northwest Territories. To centralize the administration and promote the settlement and development of this newly-acquired territory, the Department of the Interior was established by the federal government in 1873. During its 63 years of existence, the Department established a multitude of branches and sub-agencies, with most focused on its core areas of operation related to land sales and survey, First Nations and Métis relations, natural resource development and immigration in western Canada. For periods of time, the Department also administered functions of government that involved operations in all areas of the country, such as immigration, museums, national parks, tourism and geological surveys. Several branches operated within the Department of the Interior evolved into separate agencies or departments of the federal government, including Indian Affairs, Immigration, the Geological Survey of Canada, Parks Canada, and the North-West Mounted Police.
In 1930, the federal government transferred all responsibility for crown land and natural resource administration to the provinces. In Saskatchewan, these functions were assumed by the Department of Natural Resources. The Department of the Interior ceased to exist on December 1, 1936. Its remaining functions were amalgamated with those of the Departments of Mines, Immigration and Indian Affairs to create the Department of Mines and Resources.
- GA 50
- Primary Agency
While The Department of Continuing Education Act was assented to on April 21, 1972, the first departmental annual report states that the department was created following the partial proclamation of the Act on July 1, 1972. The post-secondary and vocational training functions of the Department of Education were spun off as a separate department creating Continuing Education.
Gordon S. MacMurchy had been serving as Minister of Education prior to the split. The enabling legislation states that the Minister of Education would also serve as minister of the new department. Accordingly, MacMurchy continued to serve as both Minister of Education and minister of the new Department of Continuing Education to which he was officially appointed on April 21, 1972. He represented both departments until November 5, 1975. Ed Tchorzewski took over as minister of both departments at that time but a year later the portfolio for the Department of Continuing Education was given to Donald Faris.
The three major branches of the newly formed department were:
Colleges Branch which was responsible for community college and adult education development. This included operational coordination for the Saskatchewan Technical Institute (STI) in Moose Jaw and the Saskatchewan Institute of Applied Arts & Sciences (SIAAS) campuses in Regina and Saskatoon through the Saskatchewan Council of Institute Principals (SCIP). The principals reported directly to the Deputy Minister (DM) for most other purposes. These institutions later became the core of the Saskatchewan Institute of Applied Science and Technology (SIAST). The department was responsible for providing a number of training programs such as the Vocational Rehabilitation for Disabled Persons (VRDP) program, a Federal-Provincial initiative that was administered jointly by several provincial government bodies.
Research and Evaluation Branch which was responsible for the investigation of program needs, program analysis, systems analysis and development requirements for operational and program planning considerations.
Administrative Services Branch which was responsible for the personnel, accounting and budgeting of the department and also provided services to the Department of Education under joint arrangement. The Student Assistance Section was also part of this branch.
The department was also responsible for administering the University Act which in 1972 meant the University of Saskatchewan. The Deputy Minister served on the Board of Governors, Senate and various planning and operations committees. The University of Regina gained independent status in 1974.
In the 1973-1974 fiscal year, the SCIP became the Saskatchewan Committee of Institute Principals.
In 1974-1975, Student Assistance moved to the Research and Evaluation Branch.
A more wide ranging re-organization took place in 1975-1976. Operations Division was created, encompassing the technical institutes, community colleges and vocational centres, as well as the Program Development Branch. An Occupational Training Division took responsibility for Canada Manpower training programs, non-registered Indian and Métis programs, the VRDP Program and registration of private trade schools. A separate branch of Student Services was created. Administrative Services and Research & Planning Branches continued to report directly to the DM. The universities reported through the Universities Commission.
Assistant Deputy Ministers appear on the 1976-1977 organizational charts, responsible for the two new divisions although the positions were likely created along with the divisions during the previous fiscal year.
In 1977-1978, Research and Planning Branch became Policy Planning and Management Information Systems Branch.
In the 1980-1981 fiscal year another major restructuring took place. The new organizational structure consisted of the following, all reporting through a single ADM to the DM: Office of Native Career Development; Policy and Program Division; Institutional Division; Administrative and Financial Services Division; Occupational Training Division; Student Services Branch.
A special project, the Prince Albert Institute Project team also reported to the Deputy Minister.
Gordon Gray Currie became the final minister of the department on May 8, 1982.
The Department of Advanced Education and Manpower Act was assented to on April 29, 1983, transforming the Department of Continuing Education into the Department of Advanced Education and Manpower.