- GA 84
- Primary Agency
On September 1, 1905, the province of Saskatchewan was created. The court system that existed during the territorial period remained in place in the province until September 16, 1907, when The Judicature Act (S.S. 1907, c.8) came into effect. The act established a new court system consisting of the Supreme Court, the District Court and the Surrogate Court.
The Supreme Court consisted of a Chief Justice and four puisne judges who also served as ex officio justices of the peace and coroners for the province. Although the judges were required to reside in Regina, the seat of government for the province, every judge had jurisdiction throughout Saskatchewan and went on a trial circuit. Judges could preside over trials individually as well as sit en banc as an appeal court in Regina. In 1913, the Court was expanded to include the Chief Justice and five puisne judges and quorum for sitting en banc increased from three to four judges.
Members of the first Supreme Court were Justices E. L. Wetmore (Chief Justice); James Emile Pierre Preudergast; H.W. Newlands; T.C. Johnstone and J.Y. Lamont.
In 1907, the province was divided into eight judicial districts (Cannington, Moosomin, Yorkton, Regina, Moose Jaw, Saskatoon, Prince Albert and Battleford). By 1915 there were seventeen judicial districts. Criminal matters were usually heard in the judicial district where the crime occurred while civil matters were heard where the plaintiff or defendant resided or where the property in dispute was located. Court personnel, including local registrars, deputy registrars and process issuers, were appointed in each judicial district to provide assistance to the judges.
On March 1, 1918 the Supreme Court of Saskatchewan was abolished and the Court of King's Bench and the Court of Appeal were established.