Affichage de 179 résultats

Notice d'autorité
Local Government

Euclid School District No. 4660, 1926-1959

  • LGA 01
  • Local Government
  • 1926-1959

The Euclid School District No. 4660 was formed in 1926 near the town of Neilburg, Saskatchewan. The name was derived from a suggestion by local resident, William Mitchell, Euclid being the street where he had lived in Vancouver. The board purchased the former Manito Lake School District No. 2218 school building and it was moved to the site on part of SW 15-44-25 W3.

The first teacher, Francis Duncan, held classes in the one-room school house with about 20 students enrolled in grades 1 through 10.

The school closed in 1951 with students conveyed to Neilburg Central but the board continued to actively represent the Euclid School District No. 4660 in the Lloydminster School Unit No. 60 [now known as Battle River School Division No. 60] until 1959.

Lampman Rural Telephone Company, 1914-1977

  • LGA 6
  • Local Government
  • 1914-1977

The Lampman Rural Telephone Company was incorporated in 1911 to provide telephone service in the Lampman area of Saskatchewan. It was served by the Lampman Local Exchange Board beginning in 1914, along with four other small rural telephone companies: Lampman North, Landau, Wilberforce-Lampman and Grimes (later Cullen), all with representation on the Exchange board. In 1934 Cullen, Lampman North, Landau and Wilberforce-Lampman rural telephone companies amalgamated with Lampman Rural Telephone Company. In the following years other small telephone companies were also absorbed including Steelman (1946), Lampman Urban (1947?) and Browning (1948?).

In 1964, Saskatchewan Government Telephones (SaskTel), acquired control of the town system in Lampman. SaskTel put up a new building, and installed an automatic exchange that included a new dial system. On January 13, 1977, SaskTel, as part of an effort to centralize all telephone operations in the province, assumed complete control of rural lines handled by the Lampman Rural Telephone Co. The Lampman Rural Telephone Co. held its last board meeting on March 3, 1977.

Debden Rural Telephone Company 1971-1977

  • LGA 05
  • Local Government
  • 1971-1977

The Debden Rural Telephone Company was formed in 1971 after absorbing the Mattes Rural Telephone Company and Ormeaux-Victoire Rural Telephone Company. It operated in the rural Debden area until 1977.

Allan Rural Telephone Company, 1908-1976

  • LGA 08
  • Local Government
  • 1908-1976

In December 1908, a meeting took place to organize a rural telephone company in Allan, SK and a provisional board of directors was chosen. It was decided that committees would canvass the rural areas near Allan to secure subscriptions to this service. On January 9, 1909, the first meeting of the provisional board of directors took place, with J.A. Beaver as president, Fred B. Williams as secretary-treasurer. The first stockholder's meeting took place on June 19, 1909, when W.F. Vawter was formally elected president and Fred B. Williams elected secretary-treasurer. Directors elected for each circuit and the town were W.E. Redick, M. Loran, R.E. Beaver, W.F. Vawter, N. Lang, F.B. Doan, Stanley Bowser and N.F. Allan.

Regulated by the Saskatchewan Government Telephones Department, the company proceeded to construct telephone lines in the area serving the town and surrounding district. The board of directors decided on rates, telephone extension applications, contracts and salaries.

In 1954, the Allan Rural Telephone Co. and the Allan East Rural Telephone Co. (incorp. 1920) were amalgamated as the Allan East Rural Telephone Co. During 1957, the Elstow Rural Telephone Co. (incorp. 1910) held joint meetings with the Allan East Rural Telephone Co. and on January 25, 1958, these two companies were amalgamated. At this same meeting, it was decided that the name be changed to the Allan Rural Telephone Co.

In 1976, SaskTel offered to absorb this company and it was unanimously accepted by all subscribers at a general meeting on December 14, 1976.

The Guernsey Rural Telephone Company, Limited, 1914-1977

  • LGA 9
  • Local Government
  • 1914-1977

On March 22, 1913, residents in the Guernsey, Saskatchewan district met to discuss the organization of a rural telephone company. A petition requesting permission to organize was sent to the Minister of Telephones on August 23, 1913. The Guernsey Rural Telephone Company, Limited was incorporated as a joint-stock company on March 9, 1914. The company's aim was to construct, maintain and operate a rural telephone system.

The company included a board of directors, president, secretary and general members. The secretary was responsible for maintaining records and accounts, taking minutes, collecting fees and issuing receipts, preparing financial statements and acting as a liaison with the Department of Telephones and various rural municipalities.

On December 17, 1976, members voted in favor of accepting the Saskatchewan Telecommunications (SaskTel) offer to assume responsibility for the provision of telephone service in the area. The last meeting of the board was held on March 29, 1977. The company was assimilated by SaskTel on April 15, 1977 and dissolved on July 7, 1977.

Rural Municipality of Laird No. 404, 1910-

  • LGA 33
  • Local Government
  • 1910-

The Rural Municipality of Laird No. 404 of Saskatchewan was incorporated on December 12, 1910 pursuant to the Rural Municipalities Act (S.S. 1908-09, c.6). The first reeve elected was C. Unruh. The first councillors were D. Peters, J.D. Neufeldt, J.B. Peters, A.P. Dickman, J.J. Gossen and J.J. Janzen. The first secretary-treasurer was John A. Funk. The municipality, located north of Saskatoon, encompasses the town of Waldheim and the village of Hepburn. It serves the area located in ranges 5, 6 and 7, west of the third meridian, townships 40 to 44. The North Saskatchewan River runs through the municipality, which was possibly named after David Laird, the first Lieutenant Governor of the North-West Territories.

The municipal office is located in Waldheim. The municipality is currently (2009) administered by a reeve, six councillors and an administrator, previously known as the secretary-treasurer. Their responsibilities include passing by-laws, maintaining cemeteries, collecting taxes, assisting in maintaining hospitals and roads and preventing cruelty to animals. The Council meets once per month.

The population in the rural municipality has remained relatively stable. In 1927, there were 2848 residents. The population remained strong into the 1950s, when a slight decline occurred. The population as of 2009 is 1136.

Leader (Sask.), 1917-

  • LGA 38
  • Local Government
  • 1917-

The Town of Prussia was an urban municipality incorporated on May 1, 1917. The name of the town was changed to Leader on November 1, 1917. Leader is an agricultural based community located thirty kilometres east of the Saskatchewan / Alberta border in southwestern Saskatchewan. It is located on NE21-22-26-W3 in Happyland Rural Municipality No. 231.

The town is governed by an elected council that can hire staff to manage daily administration and maintain municipal services, such as roads, utilities and recreation facilities. The responsibilities of the council include enforcing bylaws; waste collection/landfill; fire protection; maintaining public utilities, roads and streets; issuing tax and assessment notices and collecting taxes and other fees.

The town is currently (2007) administered by a mayor, six councilors and an administrator. Councilors sit on various committees, as follows: General Government Services; Protective Services; Transportation Services; Environmental Health and Development; Recreation and Cultural Services and Utilities.

Everton School District No. 4715, 1927-1971

  • LGA 83
  • Local Government
  • 1927-1971

On March 6, 1926, ratepayers in the Archerwell district of Saskatchewan selected a committee to handle the establishment of a school district. The first organizational meeting was held on June 27, 1927. J. Westburg, W. Allgrove and Sydney Cooper were elected Trustees of the proposed district. Everton School District No. 4715 was officially organized July 21, 1927.

The school was administered by three elected trustees, one of whom served as chairman, and a secretary-treasurer. The responsibilities of the school board included selecting and acquiring a school site and contracting the building of a school house; furnishing and maintaining the school, school grounds, buildings and equipment; engaging qualified teachers; providing books, globes, maps, and other supplies to teachers and students; administering grants; settling disputes; and maintaining school records and accounts.

The school district joined the Wadena Larger School Unit No. 46 in June 1946. In June 1959, The Everton School was closed. June 10, 1971, the district was officially disorganized.

Rural Municipality of Invergordon No. 430, 1911-

  • LGA 34
  • Local Government
  • 1911-

On June 16, 1911 a municipal committee of five members petitioned the Minister of Municipal Affairs for authority to proceed with the organization of a rural municipality in the area in townships 43, 44, 45a and 45 in range 22 and townships 43, 44 and 45 in ranges 23 and 24, west of the second meridian. The area consisted of 326 square miles with a population of 372. The Minister of Municipal Affairs granted approval and the Rural Municipality of Invergordon No. 430 was incorporated on December 11, 1911 pursuant to the Municipalities Act. The first municipal council consisted of reeve David Sutherland and six councillors. The first secretary-treasurer was W.E. Brock. The rural municipality, located approximately 50 kilometres southeast of Prince Albert, encompasses the communities of Crystal Springs, Tway, Meskanaw and Yellow Creek.

The municipal office is located in Crystal Springs. The rural municipality is responsible for providing public utilities and services, such as water, sewage disposal, heat, electrical power and waste management. It is also responsible for preparing assessment rolls and financial statements; collecting taxes; maintaining roads; preventing cruelty to animals and passing and enforcing by-laws. The municipality is currently (2009) administered by a reeve, six councillors and an administrator. The Council meeting is held on the second Wednesday of the month. The current population is 570.

Résultats 171 à 179 sur 179