Affichage de 38 résultats

Notice d'autorité
Corporate

Lumby Productions Ltd., 1965-1988

  • PA 316
  • Corporate
  • 1965-1988

Lumby Productions Ltd. of Saskatoon, Saskatchewan had its beginnings as a part-time recording operation formed through the partnership of John and Helen Lumby on September 15, 1961. The Lumby's stated intent was to "carry on trade and business of musical and dramatic productions and distribution of phonograph records".

The company became a full time operation in 1965 when it was incorporated as Lumby Productions Ltd., and continued to produce sound recordings, films, radio and television commercials, slide-tape presentations, promotional brochures and photographic work as well as other public relations services throughout the late 1960s and into the mid-1980s.

During the company's early existence in the 1960s it concentrated on the production and marketing of sound recordings. These included two volumes of a very successful children's record featuring Helen Lumby, "Miss Helen's Kindergarten Party." As well, Lumby Productions produced sound recordings and did marketing work for various local Saskatoon performers including the University of Saskatchewan's Greystone Singers and the Saskatoon Boys' Choir. It also produced two Saskatchewan Jubilee albums featuring various Saskatchewan artists.

In 1965, Lumby Productions branched out into custom recording services, architectural and industrial photography and motion picture production. Lumby Production's move into film was aided by contract work with the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation. During the late 1960's and early 1970's the company did most of the film and news production for CBC Saskatchewan. This led to the opening of a Regina office to help service the CBC account, and to the hiring of movie photographers Wilf Weber and Gerry Moir. Weber became a shareholder in Lumby Productions Ltd. in 1969.

Films were also produced for a number of provincial government departments and for private and crown corporations such as the Prince Albert Pulpwood Co. and the Saskatchewan Forest Products Corporation.

Over the years the scope of work undertaken by Lumby Productions Ltd. grew. Trully a multimedia production operation, the company engaged in the production of most pre-computer media that were used commercially. Lumby Production Ltd. provided clients with recording and record pressing services, photography, aerial photography, radio jingles, TV commercials, print advertising, public relations work, film production, film processing, animation and music for film.

The activities of Lumby Productions Ltd. were phased out during the early 1980's. During 1985-1986 the assets of Lumby Productions were transferred to Size Small Productions Inc., a new company formed by the Lumbys in 1981. Lumby Productions Ltd. was fully dissolved in 1988 and was struck from the provincial list of corporations in 1989.

Many of the Lumby film productions won awards at international competitions for documentary and industrial films. [For a partial list of nominations and awards see Introduction to A 679.]

John and Helen Lumby met while working at CFQC-TV in Saskatoon in the 1950s. John Lumby studied engineering at the University of Saskatchewan in 1949 and graduated from the Officer's Indoctrination Course University Reserve Training in June 1950. After an apprenticeship in industrial and commercial photography at Hansen Photographers in Edmonton, he worked as a photographer with the Saskatoon Star-Phoenix in the early 1950s. John Lumby served as Director of Photography at CFQC-TV in Saskatoon from 1955 to 1965 when he moved into full-time production work at his own company. He received a Certificate of Business Administration from the University of Saskatchewan in 1964.

Born in Souris, Manitoba and growing up in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Helen Hase Lumby worked as a writer, producer, operator and performer with CFQC Radio and CFQC-TV prior to forming the partnership in Lumby Productions. She was co-host of CFQC programmes "Little People" and "Carnival" during 1957-1958. She also produced a children's show and performed national radio spots for CHUM in Toronto for a brief period before rejoining CFQC-TV in 1960. At CFQC, Helen Lumby produced the children's television show "Miss Helen's Kindergarten", designed to fill the void left by the discontinuance of the kindergarten programme by the Saskatoon School Board in the late 1950s. The show aired between 1956 and1962 and won awards for exellence in children's programming. In the 1960's she was co-host of CBC radio's "The Passing Show", a fifteen minute arts and entertainment program.

At Lumby Productions Ltd. Helen Lumby worked primarily writing advertising copy and doing voice-overs for radio commercials. She also produced and was featured in the "Miss Helen's Kindergarten Party" phonograph records. Helen Lumby was active in the public relations aspects of Lumby Productions including print, radio and television advertising, press releases, brochures and promotional films.

Both John and Helen Lumby moved into production work with Size Small Productions Inc. in the 1980s. The Lumbys married in Saskatoon in 1957. They had three children: Lisa, John Jr., and Jeff. John and Helen Lumby currently (2005) reside in Baden, Ontario.

Air Force Association of Canada No. 600 (City of Regina) Wing, 1949-

  • PA 42
  • Corporate
  • 1949-

The Air Force Association of Canada was founded on 21 May 1948 to provide civilian community support to the Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF), and to serve as a network for ex-airmen who had returned to civilian life. Branches or "wings" were formed in many cities across Canada. Initially, the association drew its membership from all ranks of the RCAF, and concentrated on military-based aviation initiatives. The association was re-organized in 1972 to include members of the civilian aviation community. Its activities focused on supporting aviation in Canada, preserving the traditions of the RCAF, working with air cadets, improving living conditions for servicemen, cooperating with other veterans associations, and promoting community-based service. Members have been active in other activities including the National Executive of the Association and the RCAF Benevolent Fund.

No. 600 (City of Regina) Wing received its charter on 5 January 1949. The Association's membership includes veterans of numerous squadrons such as
No. 162 BR (Flying Boat) Squadron, which flew consolidated Cansos during the Second World War. As of July 1998, the Association had 103 members. The Association is closely affiliated with the 600 RCAF Veterans Association, which provides assistance to needy air force veterans and works to preserve air force history.

Family Service Bureau of Regina, 1946-

  • PA 230
  • Corporate
  • 1946-

The Bureau of Public Welfare was a private, voluntary organization established in Regina, Saskatchewan in 1913. The Bureau provided monetary relief to Regina citizens and coordinated the relief activities of various charity groups in the city. It also worked to rehabilitate criminals; prevent juvenile delinquency; promote child welfare and improve working conditions for women. In 1914, Regina City Council transferred responsibility for all relief administration to the Bureau. In 1918, the responsibility was given to the City Health Department and the Bureau of Public Welfare was abolished.

The economic depression of the 1930's necessitated the revival of the Bureau of Public Welfare. The Regina Welfare Bureau (as it was now called) was established in December, 1931 and incorporated under the provisions of The Benevolent Societies Act on June 10, 1946. The Bureau fostered the development of wholesome family life; and assisted families and individuals to return to or achieve a normal life and to take part in programs of the community for social betterment. On February 1, 1956, the Bureau changed its name to the Family Service Bureau of Regina to reflect its focus on family counseling. On May 22, 1998, the organization became known as Family Service Regina Incorporated.

Family Service Regina currently (2007) provides community services including counseling for families, couples, and individuals; the Employee and Family Assistance Program (EFAP); teen and young parent programs; family violence programs; family education; marriage preparation; balancing work and family seminars; life skills programs; and community volunteer opportunities.

The Family Service Bureau's organizational structure, developed in 1931, includes a board of directors; president, first vice-president, second vice-president, secretary, and treasurer. The executive director manages the daily operations and oversees the counselors and program, financial and administrative staff.

Saskatchewan Cancer Foundation, 1930-

  • PA 51
  • Corporate
  • 1930-

In 1929, the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Saskatchewan established a cancer committee, which was to survey the treatment of cancer in the province and make proposals for improving it. The committee recommended that radium which was owned by private physicians be purchased by the government for use in centralized clinics under the control of a doctor. The committee also recommended that there be consultative services at each clinic, and that a commission be established to control the clinics. These recommendations were accepted by the government, and The Saskatchewan Cancer Commission Act (Chapter 218) was passed by the 1930 Session of the Legislature and became effective May 1, 1930. The Act authorized the establishment of a cancer control program in Saskatchewan, operated by the Saskatchewan Cancer Commission.

Two consultative diagnostic and treatment clinics were established in 1932, one in Regina, the other in Saskatoon. Initially, patients were required to pay nominal fees to the Commission for diagnostic services and radiotherapy, and were fully responsible for the payment of other medical, surgical and hospital costs related to the treatment of their cancer.

The leadership given at this time by the medical profession in Saskatchewan was responsible for the creation of the Canadian Cancer Society in 1938, and the establishment of a cancer program in the province which was unique in that it was founded on the mutual confidence and cooperation of the government, the medical profession and the laity.

The Cancer Control Act of 1944 was responsible for denoting Saskatchewan as the first area to have comprehensive tax-borne treatment for cancer in the world. It provided that all diagnostic services and treatment, including drugs directed at the control of cancer, would be paid by the province rather than by the patient.

In 1979, the Saskatchewan Cancer Foundation Act was passed, establishing Saskatchewan Cancer Foundation to replace the Cancer Commission. The Foundation maintains two service outlets: the Allan Blair Memorial Clinic in Regina and the Saskatoon Cancer Clinic. The clinics provide diagnosis, radiotherapy, chemotherapy and follow-up services. Registry services are an integral part of each clinic. In accordance with the Cancer Foundation Act, the Saskatchewan Cancer Foundation: collects information on cases of cancer and records data relating to these cases; participates or provides assistance for research projects in conjunction with the diagnosis, prevention and treatment of cancer; and collects information and records data on residents eligible for provincial cancer screening programs.

Grain Services Union, 1936-

  • PA 181
  • Corporate
  • 1936-

The Grain Services Union traces its roots back to 1936 when elevator agents and office staff working for the Saskatchewan Wheat Pool formed the Saskatchewan Wheat Pool Employees' Association (SWPEA).

Over the years, SWPEA expanded to include all workers in Saskatchewan Wheat Pool's head office, elevator construction and repair division, terminal elevator offices, livestock division, and publications division.

In 1973, country elevator and construction employees of Manitoba Pool Elevators joined the union, and in 1974 the name was changed to the Grain Services Union.

Other groups of workers also organized to join the GSU: AgPro Grain terminal elevator employees in Saskatoon, Moose Jaw, and St. Boniface (formerly owned by Northern Sales and Elders Grain); AgPro Grain fish farm employees; Hillcrest Farms employees; Advanced Blueprint employees; and country elevator employees of Alberta Wheat Pool.

The Grain Services Union is affiliated to the Saskatchewan Federation of Labour, Alberta Federation of Labour, Manitoba Federation of Labour and was a direct affiliate to the Canadian Labour Congress until 1994. In that year, members voted to approve affiliating to the International Longshore and Warehouse Union (Canadian Area), although the connection to the CLC remains.

Provincial Council of Women of Saskatchewan, 1919-

  • PA 53
  • Corporate
  • 1919-

The National Council of Women of Canada, founded in 1893, is a federation of organizations that work for change and improvement at community, provincial, national and international levels. To present day, the vision and mission of the National and Provincial Councils of Women has remained the same: to influence political decision-making and public attitudes for the well-being of society, through education and advocacy; and to empower all women to work together towards improving the quality of life for women, families, and society through a forum of member organizations and individuals. Provincial councils were deemed necessary since the provincial government has jurisdiction over education, health and welfare.

The Provincial Council of Women of Saskatchewan was established in 1919. The Council consists of delegates from affiliated organizations and interested individuals who are concerned with issues relating to improving conditions for women, families, and communities. Study groups and committees meet to develop resolutions, which are then presented to the Government of Saskatchewan.

The Assiniboia Club, 1882-

  • PA 297
  • Corporate
  • 1892-

The Assiniboia Club was originally founded in Regina, Saskatchewan as the Musical Club in 1882. The Club brought together eight local men, all who shared a love of music. The members met in a small room above a store located on the 1700 block of Broad Street. Looking to expand its membership, the Club held a meeting in May, 1883 which was met with great interest from other local men. The Club expanded and its name was changed to The Assiniboia Club. The Assiniboia Club's first president was Rt. Rev. Dr. Adelbert J.R. Anson, an Anglican bishop. Thirty-two members made up the Assiniboia Club in 1893, with annual membership fees set at twelve dollars for residents of Regina.

As membership grew, the Club moved four times between 1883 and 1893 to accommodate its larger membership and to offer a variety of activities. In July, 1912, the Club moved to its present location at 1925 Victoria Avenue. The Club's building was designed by local architects Storey and Van Egmond, constructed by Smith and Wilson Company. A full-time club manager and chef were hired as part of the staff of the new facility. A room within the club and a separate entrance were allocated for use by the wives of members. Four rooms were also furnished to accommodate boarders.

Like many other businesses and institutions, The Assiniboia Club prospered in good times and suffered setbacks during times of struggle. The two World Wars and the depression brought low membership numbers and fewer revenues, forcing the Club to adapt as best it could. The years after the Second World War, however, brought an increase in membership and the start of improvements and renovations to the club building that would continue on for several years. Membership fees also increased to compensate for the improvements being made to the Club. By 1950, membership stood at almost three hundred, with annual fees reaching one hundred dollars per member.

Renovations to the Assiniboia Club building continued throughout the 1960s. The Club added a variety of social events to its calendar, notably family dinners that included the wives and children of members. Membership increased to nearly five hundred members by 1970, the highest in the Club's history. Renovations to the Club's building also occurred in the 1980s.

Breaking from the long-standing, male-only membership of the Assiniboia Club, Dr. Roberta McKay and Lieutenant-Governor Sylvia Fedoruk were voted in as the Club's first female members in 1988.

An aging membership, increases to property taxes, the elimination of food and entertainment as business expense deductions from Income tax and a slumping economy led to declining membership in the early 1990s. The Assiniboia Club closed its doors on June 30, 1994. Local businessman and former Club member Gary Huntington purchased the building in 1996 and embarked on its renovation. The main floor of the building became Danbry's, a fine-dining restaurant. As well, Huntington leased the top two floors to the Assiniboia Club in an effort to resurrect the private club. Danbry's would act as landlord to the building and would provide food, beverage and other operational services to the Club. The Assiniboia Club and its building officially reopened in 1998 after four years of inactivity. The building's renovated space offers meeting rooms, dining rooms and lounges solely for its members and their guests.

The Assiniboia Club continues (2005) to attract membership from local business professionals as the longest-running private business club in the City of Regina.

Rosemont Art Gallery, 1975-2005

  • PA 308
  • Corporate
  • 1975-2005

The Rosemont Art Gallery began as a satellite gallery of the MacKenzie Art Gallery in Regina, Saskatchewan in January 1975. The gallery was an experiment for the purpose of examining the cultural needs of the community situated in the Northwest area of the city and of evaluating the response of the public and artists to a gallery located in a local store front. The Gallery was located in the Rosemont Shopping Plaza.

In September 1976, the Rosemont Art Gallery Society was incorporated. The Society and the MacKenzie Art Gallery successfully lobbied the City of Regina for the first operational grant. By April 1978, the Rosemont Art Gallery Society took over the operation of the gallery. The Society was able to secure funding from the City of Regina, the Saskatchewan Arts Board and the community at large. In 1984, The Rosemont Art Gallery moved from its original location to space within the Neil Balkwill Civic Arts Centre.

Multi-level programming at the Rosemont Art Gallery included exhibitions of local and national artists, as well as workshops for both adults and children featuring weaving, puppetry, photography and printmaking.

In May 2005, the Rosemont Art Gallery was renamed the Art Gallery of Regina upon a resolution passed at the Rosemont Art Gallery Society's Annual General Meeting. The name change reflects the Gallery's greater scope as a community rather than a neighbourhood art gallery. It continues (2005) to operate as an independent art gallery leasing space within the Neil Balkwill Civic Arts Centre. Karen Schoonover is the Art Gallery of Regina's Executive Director.

Gay/Lesbian Community Centre of Saskatoon Inc., 1972-1985

  • PA 280
  • Corporate
  • 1972-1985

The Zodiac Friendship Society was a non-profit agency in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan incorporated on March 7, 1972. It operated as an umbrella organization devoted to gay political issues, education, counselling and support groups. The Society's social club, known as the Gemini Club, hosted weekly dances. The money generated at the dances was used to establish a gay community centre in downtown Saskatoon in March, 1973.

The mandate of the Zodiac Friendship Society was to promote educational, cultural, athletic and community activities for the homosexual community; to utilize all available club and private facilities for these activities; to promote and provide educational, recreational and athletic facilities for the use and benefit of the members and of the community at large; to take an active interest in the civic, commercial, social and moral welfare of the community at large; to unite members through the bonds of friendship, fellowship and mutual understanding; and to provide a forum and facilities for full and free discussions of all matters of public interest.

On January 1, 1975, the Zodiac Friendship Society was renamed the Gay/Lesbian Community Centre of Saskatoon. The Centre provided educational, cultural and social activities; provided counseling and aid services; provided a voice for the gay community in society at large; and worked for social change.

The Centre ceased operation in 1984 and was dissolved on November 29, 1985.

Saskatchewan Publishers Group, 1988-

  • PA 307
  • Corporate
  • 1988-

Professional publishers in Saskatchewan organized informally in the early 1980s as a mechanism to collaborate on promotional activities. This collaboration appears to have been ad hoc in nature involving occasional association with the Prairie Publishers Group which represented publishers from the three prairie provinces. The first step toward the formation of the Saskatchewan Publishers Group appears to have taken place in March, 1986 with the opening of a bank account in the Group's name.

Professional publishers in Saskatchewan organized informally in the early 1980s as a mechanism to collaborate on promotional activities. This collaboration appears to have been ad hoc in nature involving occasional association with the Prairie Publishers Group which represented publishers from the three prairie provinces. The first step toward the formation of the Saskatchewan Publishers Group appears to have taken place in March, 1986 with the opening of a bank account in the Group's name.

Programs and projects of the Saskatchewan Publishers Group have included Prairie Books from Home, the launch of Prairie Books Now, outreach projects and a travelling book display. The Saskatchewan Publishers Group has also assisted in the development of the Saskatchewan Book Awards and the Prairie Festival of Books in the early 1990s and in lobbying against the provincial government's proposed tax on reading materials in 1991.

Past Executive Directors and Co-Executive Directors of the Saskatchewan Publishers Group have been Archie Crail (1990), Heather Wood (1990-1993), Barbara Kahan (1992-1996), and Rachael Van Fossen (1996-1998).

Currently (2005) the Executive Director of the Saskatchewan Publishers Group is Brenda Niskala, who has held the position since 1993. The Saskatchewan Publishers Group has fifteen full members, eight associate members, and thirty-four supporting members.

Résultats 1 à 10 sur 38