Affichage de 566 résultats

Notice d'autorité

Estevan Brick, 1902-1997

  • PA 5
  • Collectivité
  • 1902-1997

Estevan, Saskatchewan's brickmaking industry began as an offshoot of the coal industry in 1902. The first plant started in 1906 as a private company, Eureka Coal and Brick Co. In 1912 the plant was sold and renamed Estevan Brick and Coal Company. In 1918 it was sold again and renamed International Clay Products.

As Estevan clay was unsuitable for refractory (fire) bricks, the plant focused exclusively on face and common brick during its early years. In the 1920s, as part of a general plant expansion, the plant expanded its product line to include "Scots Gray" building tile, terra-cotta, quarry floor tiles, and pottery (wine jugs). This necessitated shipping in clay from Eastend for blending with Estevan clay.

In 1932 the plant closed due to the Great Depression. In 1945 the Saskatchewan government purchased the plant and reopened it as a Crown Corporation operating under the name Saskatchewan Clay Products. In 1964, the plant underwent another name change, to Estevan Clay Products Division. In 1965, the daily management of the plant was handed over to Industrial Management Ltd. The plant, which underwent another name change to Estevan Brick Ltd., became a limited liability company with the province as majority shareholder.

This structure continued until 1969, when the plant was sold to Peben Contractors Ltd. The revamped company, called Estevan Brick, introduced new product lines, including what was reputed to be the whitest brick produced in North America. In 1978 Estevan Brick became a division of Thunderbrick Ltd.. In 1992 it was sold again to Canada Brick, and in 1995 it was sold a final time to I-XL Industries Ltd. It was incorporated in 1995 as Estevan Brick (1995). In 1997 the plant was closed due to shrinking markets.

The plant's face brick can be found in a number of buildings in Western Canada and North Dakota, including the Estevan Court House (now a provincial heritage site), the Federal Building in Regina, the Assiniboia Court House, the Saskatoon Normal School, the Power Station at Estevan, and the SaskPower building in Regina. An official edict from the province, brought in in 1965 during the years of W. Ross Thatcher, ordered that buildings constructed with public money be built from Saskatchewan brick; hence many public buildings constructed during this period contain bricks from the Estevan brick plant. Much of the snow-white brick was sold in the province of Quebec.

Museums Association of Saskatchewan Incorporated, 1968-

  • PA 09
  • Collectivité
  • 1968-

On January 25, 1967 representatives of the provincial government, provincial and municipal museums and the field director of the Canadian Museums Association met in Regina, Saskatchewan to discuss the formation of a provincial museums association in Saskatchewan. The first general meeting of the Saskatchewan Museums Association was held in Regina on April 8, 1967. The Saskatchewan Museums Association was incorporated as a non-profit corporation on December 20, 1968 under the provisions of The Societies Act. The name of the organization was changed to the Museums Association of Saskatchewan Incorporated on May 5, 1989.

The mandate of the Museums Association of Saskatchewan (MAS) is to further museum activities throughout the province; set up training and resource programmes; and develop guidelines for standards of museum operations for its members. The MAS offers certificate programmes; manages grants; offers educational and professional development opportunities; provides guidelines for recognized standards of museum operations; raises public awareness of museums; fosters communication among members of the museum community; and represents the interests and concerns of members to government and other agencies.

The MAS's office is currently (2010) located at 424 McDonald Street in Regina. The MAS is governed by an elected board of directors who are responsible for establishing the vision and goals of the organization. An executive and administrative staff deliver programs and services. Membership is open to Saskatchewan museums and individuals, including art galleries, community museums, larger urban museums, exhibition centres, archives, zoos, and historic parks and sites. The MAS currently receives funding from the federal and provincial governments and Sask. Lotteries.

Saskatchewan Library Association, 1914-1918

  • PA 442
  • Collectivité
  • 1914-1918

The first organizational meeting of the Saskatchewan Library Association was held in Regina, Saskatchewan on April 13, 1914. Seventeen individuals representing library interests from major centres throughout the province attended the meeting. The purpose of the organization was to promote the professional interests of librarians and others engaged in library and related educational work, to provide a forum for exchanging views in convention, and to work for the founding and improvement of libraries. The first resolution passed by the Association addressed the need to provide rural schools with library facilities. Travelling libraries, library legislation and the development of the National Library of Canada were other discussions in early correspondence and minutes of annual conferences of the Association. Membership in the Saskatchewan Library Association included persons engaged in library work, and others elected by its executive council. There were eighteen members in the Association in its first year. The original Saskatchewan Library Association ceased to exist after 1918.

Lumby Productions Ltd., 1965-1988

  • PA 316
  • Collectivité
  • 1965-1988

Lumby Productions Ltd. of Saskatoon, Saskatchewan had its beginnings as a part-time recording operation formed through the partnership of John and Helen Lumby on September 15, 1961. The Lumbys stated intent was to "carry on trade and business of musical and dramatic productions and distribution of phonograph records".

The company became a full time operation in 1965 when it was incorporated as Lumby Productions Ltd., and continued to produce sound recordings, films, radio and television commercials, slide-tape presentations, promotional brochures and photographic work as well as other public relations services throughout the late 1960s and into the mid-1980s.

During the company's early existence in the 1960s it concentrated on the production and marketing of sound recordings. These included two volumes of a very successful children's record featuring Helen Lumby, "Miss Helen's Kindergarten Party." As well, Lumby Productions produced sound recordings and did marketing work for various local Saskatoon performers including the University of Saskatchewan's Greystone Singers and the Saskatoon Boys' Choir. It also produced two Saskatchewan Jubilee albums featuring various Saskatchewan artists.

In 1965, Lumby Productions branched out into custom recording services, architectural and industrial photography and motion picture production. Lumby Production's move into film was aided by contract work with the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation. During the late 1960's and early 1970's the company did most of the film and news production for CBC Saskatchewan. This led to the opening of a Regina office to help service the CBC account, and to the hiring of movie photographers Wilf Weber and Gerry Moir. Weber became a shareholder in Lumby Productions Ltd. in 1969.

Films were also produced for a number of provincial government departments and for private and crown corporations such as the Prince Albert Pulpwood Co. and the Saskatchewan Forest Products Corporation.

Over the years the scope of work undertaken by Lumby Productions Ltd. grew. Truely a multimedia production operation, the company engaged in the production of most pre-computer media that were used commercially. Lumby Production Ltd. provided clients with recording and record pressing services, photography, aerial photography, radio jingles, TV commercials, print advertising, public relations work, film production, film processing, animation and music for film.

The activities of Lumby Productions Ltd. were phased out during the early 1980's. During 1985-1986 the assets of Lumby Productions were transferred to Size Small Productions Inc., a new company formed by the Lumbys in 1981. Lumby Productions Ltd. was fully dissolved in 1988 and was struck from the Saskatchewan Corporate Registry in 1989.

Many of the Lumby film productions won awards at international competitions for documentary and industrial films. [For a partial list of nominations and awards see Introduction to A 679.]

John and Helen Lumby met while working at CFQC-TV in Saskatoon in the 1950s. John Lumby (1930-2017) studied engineering at the University of Saskatchewan in 1949 and graduated from the Officer's Indoctrination Course University Reserve Training in June 1950. After an apprenticeship in industrial and commercial photography at Hansen Photographers in Edmonton, he worked as a photographer with the Saskatoon Star-Phoenix in the early 1950s. John Lumby served as Director of Photography at CFQC-TV in Saskatoon from 1955 to 1965 when he moved into full-time production work at his own company. He received a Certificate of Business Administration from the University of Saskatchewan in 1964.

Born ca. 1934 at Souris, Manitoba and growing up in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Helen Hase Lumby worked as a writer, producer, operator and performer with CFQC Radio and CFQC-TV prior to forming the partnership in Lumby Productions. She was co-host of CFQC programmes "Little People" and "Carnival" during 1957-1958. She also produced a children's show and performed national radio spots for CHUM in Toronto for a brief period before rejoining CFQC-TV in 1960. At CFQC, Helen Lumby produced the children's television show "Miss Helen's Kindergarten", designed to fill the void left by the discontinuance of the kindergarten programme by the Saskatoon School Board in the late 1950s. The show aired between 1956 and1962 and won awards for exellence in children's programming. In the 1960s she was co-host of CBC radio's "The Passing Show", a fifteen minute arts and entertainment program.

At Lumby Productions Ltd. Helen Lumby worked primarily writing advertising copy and doing voice-overs for radio commercials. She also produced and was featured in the "Miss Helen's Kindergarten Party" phonograph records. Helen Lumby was active in the public relations aspects of Lumby Productions including print, radio and television advertising, press releases, brochures and promotional films.

Both John and Helen Lumby moved into production work with Size Small Productions Inc. in the 1980s. The Lumbys married in Saskatoon in 1956. They had three children: Lisa, John Jr., and Jeff.

Association of Saskatchewan Government Libraries, 1977-1986

  • PA 199
  • Collectivité
  • 1977-1986

The Saskatchewan Government Libraries Association was a non-profit organization established in June 1975 to foster communication between libraries within departments, agencies, and crown corporations of the Government of Saskatchewan. The organization changed its name to the Association of Saskatchewan Government Libraries (ASGL) in 1977 and was incorporated on February 9, 1977 under the provisions of the Societies Act. The executive included a president, vice-president, treasurer, secretary and editor.

The mandate of the ASGL was to assist member libraries in providing effective information and reference services to their users. The Association's objectives included assisting members in obtaining adequate staff, materials and facilities; establishing efficient methods of obtaining and cataloguing publications; coordinating planning objectives; and encouraging in-service training. The ASGL organized annual conferences and workshops, published a newsletter, conducted studies and surveys, and liaised with library organizations both within and outside Saskatchewan.

At a meeting on May 30, 1985, the executive of the ASGL recommended the dissolution of the Association as a separate organization and encouraged members to join the Special Libraries Section of the Saskatchewan Library Association. The ASGL was dissolved on September 30, 1986.

Air Force Association of Canada No. 600 (City of Regina) Wing, 1949-

  • PA 42
  • Collectivité
  • 1949-

The Air Force Association of Canada was founded on 21 May 1948 to provide civilian community support to the Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF), and to serve as a network for ex-airmen who had returned to civilian life. Branches or "wings" were formed in many cities across Canada. Initially, the association drew its membership from all ranks of the RCAF, and concentrated on military-based aviation initiatives. The association was re-organized in 1972 to include members of the civilian aviation community. Its activities focused on supporting aviation in Canada, preserving the traditions of the RCAF, working with air cadets, improving living conditions for servicemen, cooperating with other veterans associations, and promoting community-based service. Members have been active in other activities including the National Executive of the Association and the RCAF Benevolent Fund.

No. 600 (City of Regina) Wing received its charter on 5 January 1949. The Association's membership includes veterans of numerous squadrons such as
No. 162 BR (Flying Boat) Squadron, which flew consolidated Cansos during the Second World War. As of July 1998, the Association had 103 members. The Association is closely affiliated with the 600 RCAF Veterans Association, which provides assistance to needy air force veterans and works to preserve air force history.

Ernest E. Poole Foundation, 1961-1985

  • PA 526
  • Collectivité
  • 1961-1985

Ernest Edward Poole was born on October 18, 1883 in Woodville Mills, Prince Edward Island to John T. Poole and Jean (Shaw) Poole. Educated in Prince Edward Island, he attended business college in Charlottetown and studied architecture and reinforced concrete engineering. Poole worked in his father's saw, flour and carding mills prior to moving to Melita, Manitoba in 1903 for carpentry work. In 1904, he worked as a carpenter and hardware store operator in Stoughton, North-West Territories (later known as Saskatchewan).

In 1906, Poole and a partner, James Martin, established a construction firm in Stoughton under the name Martin and Poole. After Martin's retirement in 1907, Poole continued the business under the name E.E. Poole General Contractor. The company's projects extended throughout Saskatchewan and into Manitoba and typically included schools, banks, town halls and rinks. In 1910, Poole moved his business headquarters first to Rouleau, then to Moose Jaw (1913) and Regina (1914). Poole Construction Company Ltd. was incorporated in Saskatchewan in 1913. Poole married Gertrude Inez Annear that same year; they went on to have four children: John, Ruth, George and Inez.

In 1921, Poole Construction Company Ltd. secured its first major contract with the construction of the Weyburn Mental Hospital in Weyburn. In 1922, the company opened an office in Edmonton, Alberta. In 1932, the company's headquarters and the Ernest Poole family moved to Edmonton. After selling the company to his sons in 1948, Poole continued to serve the company as president and later chairman until his death on March 12, 1964.

Poole was an Associate Member of the Engineering Institute of Canada; member of various organizations in Regina, including the Rotary Club, Assiniboia Club, Wascana Country Club and Canadian Club; and a member of the Alberta Provincial Council of the Boy Scouts of Canada. Poole travelled extensively and collected art, antique silver and firearms. In 1961, Poole and his wife established the Poole Foundation. Later known as the Ernest E. Poole Foundation, the organization managed and dispersed of the Pooles' large art collection until its dissolution in 1985.

Family Service Bureau of Regina, 1946-

  • PA 230
  • Collectivité
  • 1946-

The Bureau of Public Welfare was a private, voluntary organization established in Regina, Saskatchewan in 1913. The Bureau provided monetary relief to Regina citizens and coordinated the relief activities of various charity groups in the city. It also worked to rehabilitate criminals; prevent juvenile delinquency; promote child welfare and improve working conditions for women. In 1914, Regina City Council transferred responsibility for all relief administration to the Bureau. In 1918, the responsibility was given to the City Health Department and the Bureau of Public Welfare was abolished.

The economic depression of the 1930's necessitated the revival of the Bureau of Public Welfare. The Regina Welfare Bureau (as it was now called) was established in December, 1931 and incorporated under the provisions of The Benevolent Societies Act on June 10, 1946. The Bureau fostered the development of wholesome family life; and assisted families and individuals to return to or achieve a normal life and to take part in programs of the community for social betterment. On February 1, 1956, the Bureau changed its name to the Family Service Bureau of Regina to reflect its focus on family counseling. On May 22, 1998, the organization became known as Family Service Regina Incorporated.

Family Service Regina currently (2007) provides community services including counseling for families, couples, and individuals; the Employee and Family Assistance Program (EFAP); teen and young parent programs; family violence programs; family education; marriage preparation; balancing work and family seminars; life skills programs; and community volunteer opportunities.

The Family Service Bureau's organizational structure, developed in 1931, includes a board of directors; president, first vice-president, second vice-president, secretary, and treasurer. The executive director manages the daily operations and oversees the counselors and program, financial and administrative staff.

Résultats 1 à 10 sur 566