Mostrando 10 resultados

Registro de autoridad
Education

University of California, Los Angeles

  • Entidad colectiva
  • 1919-

The California State Legislature enabled the establishment of a southern branch of California State Normal School in 1881, and it opened August 1882. In 1887, the branch became independent and changed its name to the Los Angeles State Normal School. School administrators began in 1917 to lobby the state to become a campus of the University of California, but encountered resistant from University of California alumni in the legislature and the president of the University (Benjamin Ida Wheeler.). Upon a new president of the university being hired in 1919 (David Prescott Barrows), the efforts became successful and in May 1919 a bill was signed into law that permitted the acquisition of land and buildings, and changed the LA Normal School to a southern branch of the University of California and started operating in September 1919. In February 1927 it changed its official name to University of California at Los Angeles and in 1958 to University of California, Los Angeles. From 1919 to 1951 the institution operated as an off-ste department of the University of California, with a presiding officer holding the title provost that reported to the main campus in Berkeley. After 1951, UCLA was given equal status with University of California, Berkeley and established a presiding officer that was designated chancellor.

Saskatoon Normal School

  • 1912-1953

Established on August 20, 1912. Succeeded by Saskatoon Teacher's College in 1953.

Central Collegiate (Regina, Sask.)

  • Entidad colectiva
  • 1909-1985

Located at the corner of Scarth Street and 15th Avenue, the school opened as Regina Collegiate on November 15, 1909, becoming the first school in Regina dedicated solely to secondary education. The name was changed to Central Collegiate in 1924. The school ceased operations in June 1985, and the structure being demolished in 1994 with its front facade being repurposed for the entrance to Winston Knoll Collegiate.

Middlebury College (Vermont)

  • Entidad colectiva
  • 1800-

Middlebury College is a private liberal arts college located in Middlebury, Vermont. When Middlebury was founded in November 1, 1800 as an outgrowth of Addison County Grammar School through the efforts of persons such as Seth Storrs and Gamaliel Painter, it was all-male liberal arts college. Although it was progressive in permitting the admission of African Americans, with its first graduate in 1823, it took until 1883 for the college to begin accepting women.

Luther College (Regina, Sask.)

  • Entidad colectiva
  • 1913-

Established as Luther Academy in 1913 in Melville, Saskatchewan by the Lutheran community of southern Saskatchewan. In 1926, the school move to Regina whereupon it became a junior college offering full high school and first-year university courses, and renamed Luther College.

Balfour Collegiate (Regina, Sask.)

  • Entidad colectiva
  • 1930-

This school opened on September 2, 1930 as Balfour Technical School and was named after former Regina mayor, city clerk, and lawyer James Balfour. It initially operated as a technical school with an attached commercial high school, and was able to offer unemployed adults secretarial, accounting and industrial courses. In 1984, the name was changed to Balfour Collegiate.

McGill University

  • Entidad colectiva
  • 1821-

Having roots as the Royal Institution for the Advancement of Learning (RIAL) created in 1801 under an Act of the Legislative Assembly of Lower Canada (41 George III Chapter 17, An Act for the establishment of Free Schools and the Advancement of Learning in this Province), McGill University is a public university located in Montréal, Québec. McGill University was formally established March 31, 1821 with the passage of its royal charter, but was not activated until 1929 when the Montreal Medical Institution that had been founded in 1823, became the college's first academic unit and Canada's first medical school. Although it was referred to as a university during its early years, the name University of McGill College was used during the 1840s and 1860s and the name McGill College was used from the 1860s to about 1910 during the time McGill offered both high school and university courses.