Mostrando 179 resultados

Registro de autoridad
Local Government

Grenfell Consolidated School District No. 150, 1963-1978

  • LGA 53
  • Local Government
  • 1963-19787

Grenfell Consolidated School District No. 150 of Saskatchewan was established on August 26, 1963 pursuant to the Schools Act in the area near Grenfell, Saskatchewan. The original Grenfell School District No. 150 borders were expanded to make it large enough to become an independent school district.

The Board of the Grenfell Consolidated School District No. 150 was responsible for administering and managing the school district and for generally supervising and controlling each school. From 1974-1993 it functioned as part of the Qu'Appelle Valley Superintendency No. 27. The Board provided buildings, equipment and supplies; hired qualified teachers; paid teachers their monthly salaries; and dealt with attendance, transportation and disciplinary issues. The Board was assisted by a secretary-treasurer, who managed the finances. The Superintendent of Schools for the School District, appointed by the Minister of Education, was responsible for the general supervision of the schools and conferred with teachers and the Board on various issues.

In 1978, the School Act was replaced by the Education Act (SS 1978 c. 17). Grenfell Consolidated School District No. 150 became Grenfell School Division No. 92 effective January 1, 1979.

Unity (Sask.), 1919-

  • LGA 62
  • Local Government
  • 1919-

The Town of Unity is an urban municipality in west central Saskatchewan incorporated on November 1, 1919. Unity is located 90 kilometres south-west of the Battlefords and 200 kilometres west of the City of Saskatoon. Its exact geographical location is NW18-40-22-W3. Located in the Rural Municipality of Round Valley No. 410, Unity is believed to have been named after Unity, Wisconsin, the original home of many of the early settlers in the Unity district.

The town is governed by a council consisting of a mayor and at least two councillors, each elected for a three year term. The goals of the council are to provide good government; provide necessary services and facilities for all or part of the municipality; develop and maintain a safe and viable community; and foster economic, social and environmental well-being. The council holds jurisdiction over police and fire protection; water and sewer utilities; parks and recreation and waste management.

The council makes decisions and exercises its power through the passage of resolutions and bylaws. Bylaws enforced by council include those relating to building; wild and domestic animals; nuisances; transport and transportation systems; streets and roads; businesses and business activities; signs and zoning. Council is also responsible for the collection of revenues; issuing of tax and assessment notices; administration of the operating and capital budgets and preparation of annual financial statements.

The Town of Unity is currently (2009) administered by a mayor, six councillors, and an administrator (previously known as the town clerk). The administrator oversees the day to day operations of the municipality, advises on policy and ensures council policies are carried out. The council currently holds regular meetings open to the public on the second and fourth Tuesdays of each month.

South Regina Rural Telephone Company Limited, 1909-1977

  • LGA 63
  • Local Government
  • 1909-1977

In July 1909, five farmers residing in Regina, Saskatchewan petitioned the Department of Railways, Telegraphs and Telephones (later known as the Department of Telephones) for the organization of a rural telephone company. The South Regina Rural Telephone Company Ltd. was organized according to the provisions of the Rural Telephones Act (S.S. 1908, c.7) and incorporated on July 17, 1909. The company was responsible for the construction, maintenance and operation of a telephone system for residents of the rural area south of Regina. The company's jurisdiction extended to the area in townships 16 and 17, ranges 19 and 20, west of the second meridian.

The company was managed by a president; vice-president; secretary-treasurer and board of directors, all elected at the company's annual meeting. The directors were responsible for deciding on rates, telephone extension applications, contracts and salaries. The secretary-treasurer attended all meetings, recorded the proceedings, and managed all financial transactions. The company had authority to enter land and premises in its jurisdiction in order to erect poles and string wires and cable, etc. The Department of Telephones provided advice and guidance to the company and ensured that the company's facilities met approved standards.

By the mid 1970s, the Saskatchewan Telecommunications Corporation (SaskTel) was able to provide rural areas with better quality and less costly telephone service than the rural telephone companies. In 1976, SaskTel established the Voluntary Assimilation Program, which encouraged rural telephone companies to wind-up their operations and transfer their assets and liabilities to the corporation. On January 5, 1976, the board of directors of the South Regina company passed a resolution accepting SaskTel's assimilation offer. The South Regina Rural Telephone Company Limited was dissolved in February 1977.

North Regina Rural Telephone Company Limited, 1909-1976

  • LGA 65
  • Local Government
  • 1909-1976

On March 8, 1909, five farmers residing in Regina, Saskatchewan petitioned the Department of Railways, Telegraphs and Telephones (later known as the Department of Telephones) for the organization of a rural telephone company. The North Regina Rural Telephone Company Limited was organized according to the provisions of the Rural Telephones Act (S.S. 1908, c.7) and incorporated on March 10, 1909. The company was responsible for the construction, maintenance and operation of a telephone system for residents of the rural area north of Regina. The company's jurisdiction extended to the area in townships 17 and 18, ranges 19 and 20, west of the second meridian.

The company was managed by a president; vice-president; secretary-treasurer and board of directors, all elected at the company's annual meeting. The directors were responsible for deciding on rates, telephone extension applications, contracts and salaries. The secretary-treasurer attended all meetings, recorded the proceedings and managed all financial transactions. The company had authority to enter land and premises in its jurisdiction in order to erect poles and string wires and cables, etc. The Department of Telephones provided advice and guidance to the company and ensured that the company's facilities met approved standards.

By the mid 1970s, the Saskatchewan Telecommunications Corporation (SaskTel) was able to provide rural areas with better quality and less costly telephone service than the rural telephone companies. In 1976, SaskTel established the Voluntary Assimilation Program, which encouraged rural companies to wind-up their operations and transfer their assets and liabilities to the corporation. In 1976, the board of directors of the North Regina Rural Telephone Company passed a resolution accepting SaskTel's assimilation offer. The North Regina Rural Telephone Company Ltd. was dissolved on June 25, 1976.

Sturgis Rural Telephone Company Limited, 1920-1978

  • LGA 66
  • Local Government
  • 1920-1978

On March 13, 1920, five farmers residing in Sturgis, Saskatchewan petitioned the Department of Telephones for the organization of a rural telephone company. The Sturgis Rural Telephone Company Limited was organized according to the provisions of the Rural Telephones Act (S.S. 1908, c.7) and incorporated on May 13, 1920. The company was responsible for the construction, maintenance and operation of a telephone system for residents of the Sturgis district.

The company was managed by a president; vice-president; secretary-treasurer and board of directors, all elected at the company's annual meeting. The directors were responsible for deciding on rates, telephone extension applications, contracts, and salaries. The secretary-treasurer attended all meetings, recorded the proceedings and managed all financial transactions. The company had authority to enter land and premises in its jurisdiction in order to erect poles and string wires and cable, etc. The Department of Telephones provided advice and guidance to the company and ensured that the company's facilities met approved standards.

The first officers of the Sturgis Rural Telephone Company were John Ness (president); Ross G. Moore (secretary-treasurer); P.A. Peterson, K. Grimsrud, and C.A. Wilder (directors). Mrs. R. Hay was the first operator.

By the mid 1970s, the Saskatchewan Telecommunications Corporation (SaskTel) was able to provide rural areas with better quality and less costly telephone service than the rural companies. In 1976, SaskTel established the Voluntary Assimilation Program, which encouraged rural telephone companies to wind-up their operations and transfer their assets and liabilities to the corporation.

In 1977, the Sturgis company had 700 subscribers and was serving the Sturgis district along with the villages of Danbury, Hassan, Lady Lake and Stenen. On June 14, 1977, the members of the Sturgis company passed a resolution to wind-up operations. Twenty-eight members were in favor; two were not. The final meeting of the directors was held on February 26, 1978. The Sturgis Rural Telephone Company Limited was dissolved effective March 3, 1978.

Rouleau (Sask.), 1907-

  • LGA 60
  • Local Government
  • 1907-

The Town of Rouleau is an urban municipality in southeast Saskatchewan incorporated on March 1, 1907 under the provisions of the Municipal Amendment Ordinance (1901). Rouleau is an agricultural based community located 50 kilometres southeast of the City of Moose Jaw. Its exact geographical location is N23-14-22-W2. Located in the Rural Municipality of Redburn No. 130, the town is believed to have been named after Justice Charles-Borromee Rouleau, a judge on the Supreme Court of the North-West Territories.

The town is governed by a council consisting of a mayor and at least two councillors, each elected for a three year term. The goals of the council are to provide good government; provide necessary services and facilities for all or part of the municipality; develop and maintain a safe and viable community; and foster economic, social, and environmental well-being. The council holds jurisdiction over police and fire protection; water and sewer utilities; parks and recreation and waste management.

The council makes decisions and exercises its power through the passage of resolutions and by-laws. By-laws enforced by the council include those relating to building; wild and domestic animals; nuisances; transport and transportation systems; streets and roads; businesses and business activities; signs and zoning. Council is also responsible for the collection of revenues; issuing tax and assessment notices; administration of the operating and capital budgets and preparation of annual financial statements.

The Town of Rouleau is currently (2009) administered by a mayor, six councillors, an administrator (previously known as the town clerk) and an assistant administrator. The administrator oversees the day-to-day operations of the municipality; advises on policy and ensures council policies are carried out. The council currently holds regular meetings open to the public on the first Monday of each month. In 2005, the Rouleau Town Council established the Rouleau Economic Development Committee, which is responsible for creating jobs; diversifying the economy and promoting tourism to the town, etc.

Spy Hill Rural Telephone Company Limited, 1916-1977

  • LGA 64
  • Local Government
  • 1916-1977

On March 25, 1916, five farmers in the Spy Hill, Saskatchewan district petitioned the Department of Telephones for the organization of a rural telephone company. The Spy Hill Rural Telephone Company Limited was organized according to the provisions of the Rural Telephones Act (S.S. 1908, c.7) and incorporated on May 31, 1916. The company was responsible for the construction, maintenance and operation of a telephone system for residents of the rural area around Spy Hill. The company's jurisdiction extended to the area in townships 18 and 19, ranges 30 and 31, west of the first meridian.

The company was managed by a president; vice-president; secretary-treasurer and board of directors, all elected at the company's annual meeting. The directors were responsible for deciding on rates, telephone extension applications, contracts and salaries. The secretary-treasurer attended all meetings, recorded the proceedings, and managed all financial transactions. The company had authority to enter land and premises in its jurisdiction in order to erect poles and string wires and cable, etc. The Department of Telephones provided advice and guidance to the company and ensured that the company's facilities met approved standards.

By the mid 1970s, the Saskatchewan Telecommunications Corporation (SaskTel) was able to provide rural areas with better quality and less costly telephone service than the rural telephone companies. In 1976, SaskTel established the Voluntary Assimilation Program, which encouraged rural telephone companies to wind-up their operations and transfer their assets and liabilities to the corporation. On November 30, 1976, the board of directors of the Spy Hill company passed a resolution accepting SaskTel's assimilation offer. The Spy Hill Rural Telephone Company Limited was dissolved in October 1977.

Sunkist School District No. 4293, 1920-1946

  • LGA 67
  • Local Government
  • 1920-1946

On December 27, 1919, a committee of ratepayers petitioned the Department of Education for the establishment of a school district in the Girvin, Saskatchewan district. Approximately twelve children between the ages of five and sixteen resided in the proposed district at that time. On January 13, 1920, the committee met to organize the district and elect trustees. The individuals elected were Thomas Hansford (secretary-treasurer); F.J. Richardson (chairman); A.P. Wightman; F.J. Richardson and G. Allen (trustees). The Sunkist School District No. 4293 was established on March 1, 1920 in accordance with the provisions of the School Act.

The responsibilities of the Sunkist district board included selecting and acquiring a school site; contracting the building of the school; furnishing and maintaining the school and grounds, buildings and equipment; hiring qualified teachers; providing books, globes, maps and other supplies to students and teachers; administering grants; settling disputes and maintaining school records and accounts.

The Sunkist School, located at SE 1-25-1-W3, was built by Waterman-Waterbury Company Ltd. of Regina. On April 28, 1920, a debenture for $4250 was approved for building the school.

The duties and powers of the district board were revised when Sunkist School District joined the Davidson School Unit No. 31 on January 21, 1946. On March 1, 1946, all assets and liabilities were taken over by the school unit. The school closed in 1947 but was briefly reopened in 1949. In 1957, the school building was sold and relocated.

Driscol Lake School District No. 3336, 1914-1945

  • LGA 68
  • Local Government
  • 1914-1945

On February 17, 1914, a committee of ratepayers consisting of W.F. Chidister, Charles M. Clark and Christ Berger petitioned the Department of Education for the establishment of a school district in the Cadillac, Saskatchewan district. A meeting was held on April 17, 1914 to organize the district and elect trustees. There were thirteen school age children in the proposed district at the time. Driscol Lake School District No. 3336 was established on May 21, 1914 in accordance with the provisions of The School Act. On August 3, 1914, the school district received approval to borrow $2200.00 to build and furnish a school and other buildings. The school, located on 13-7-14-W3, was opened in 1915 with Miss O'Connor as the first teacher.

The responsibilities of the district board included selecting and acquiring a school site; contracting the building of the school; furnishing and maintaining the school and grounds, buildings and equipment; hiring qualified teachers; providing books, globes, maps and other supplies to students and teachers; administering grants; settling disputes and maintaining school records and accounts.

The duties and powers of the district board were revised when Driscol Lake School District No. 3336 joined the Shaunavon School Unit No. 7 on August 20, 1945. The Unit took over the assets and liabilities of the district effective September 15, 1945. The school was closed in 1946; the building was sold and moved to Val Marie, where it was used as a hardware store.

Valleyfield School District No. 2023, 1908-1945

  • LGA 69
  • Local Government
  • 1908-1945

On August 9, 1907, ratepayers in the Attica area northwest of Lanigan, Saskatchewan (NW 11-34-22 W2) petitioned the Commissioner of Education for the establishment of a school district. Golden Bridge School was the original proposed name, although Valleyfield was the one approved. On March 4, 1908 fourteen ratepayers voted in favor of establishing a school district, making it a unanimous decision. The School District was officially erected March 23, 1908. The first organizational meeting was held on February 5, 1909. J. Cooper was appointed secretary, J.G. Anderson was chairman, and C.B. McConnell was a trustee.

The responsibilities of the district board included selecting and acquiring a school site and contracting the building of a school house; furnishing and maintaining the school, school grounds, buildings and equipment; engaging qualified teachers; providing books, globes, maps, and other supplies to teachers and students; administering grants; settling disputes; and maintaining school records and accounts.

The original school house burned down on November 6, 1950 and the Shady Bluff school house was moved in. The School Unit became part of the Lanigan School Unit No. 40 in 1945. When the Valleyfield school was closed June 1952, the school house was moved to Lanigan to be used by the Lanigan School Unit No. 40.

Resultados 51 a 60 de 179