- LGA 16
- Local Government
In May, 1918, ratepayers in the Lashburn, Saskatchewan district petitioned the Department of Education for the formation of a school district. After the department revised the boundaries of the proposed district, a second petition was filed and approved. The first organizational meeting was held on January 18, 1919. Fourteen ratepayers voted in favor of establishing a school district; one ratepayer was against it. William Bradley, Thomas Plewman and Lewis Howells were elected trustees.
Rereshill School District No. 4171 was established on April 16, 1919. The responsibilities of the district board included selecting and acquiring a school site and contracting the building of a school house; furnishing and maintaining the school, school grounds, buildings and equipment; engaging qualified teachers; providing books, globes, maps, and other supplies to teachers and students; administering grants; settling disputes; maintaining school records and accounts.
The school district name was suggested by district resident George Stewart, whose former home in Scotland was near a hill called Rereshill. The one room school, located at SE 3-47-26-W3, was opened on April 1, 1920 with Mrs. Ena Morgan as teacher. The duties and powers of the district board were revised when Rereshill School District joined the Lloydminster School Unit No. 60 on November 28, 1951. The school closed in 1959 and the students were conveyed to other districts.