- PA 446
The Woman's Christian Temperance Union (WCTU) of the North-West Territories was a non-denominational woman's organization established in 1886, when Letitia Youmans, President of the Canadian WCTU., visited the Territories and organized Unions (local chapters) at Morley, Regina and Calgary. Mrs. W.W. Andrews of Qu'Appelle was named Superintendent of the North-West Territories in 1886 and went on to organize several additional Unions in 1887 including Qu'Appelle, Wolseley and Broadview. The first convention of the territorial Union was held in Calgary on October 5 and 6 , 1904. The organization was based on the belief that the abuse of alcohol was the cause of unemployment, disease, prostituion, poverty and immorality. The WCTU campaigned for legal prohibition of all alcoholic beverages and promoted sobriety, thrift, duty and family sanctity along with woman's suffrage and allowances for mothers.
In 1905, when Alberta and Saskatchewan became provinces, the Woman's Christian Temperance Union of the North-West Territories was renamed the Alberta and Saskatchewan Woman's Temperance Union. The officers of the Union included a president; vice-president; corresponding secretary; recording secretary; treasurer and secretary. Superintendents were responsible for the various departments, including organization; evangelistic work; purity and mother's meetings; and anti-narcotics. Officers and the superintendents of departments comprised the Executive Committee.
Local Unions in Saskatchewan included Abernethy; Arcola; Battleford; Carnduff; Cupar; Drinkwater; Estevan; Grenfell; Hanley; Indian Head; Manor; Maple Creek; Milestone; Moose Jaw; Oxbox; Prince Albert; Qu'Appelle; Radisson; Rouleau; Regina; Saltcoats; Saskatoon; Swift Current; Wapella; Yellow Grass; and Yorkton.
In 1912, the Alberta and Saskatchewan Union was split into two seperate provincial Unions: the Alberta Provincial Woman's Christian Temperance Union and the Saskatchewan Provincial Woman's Christian Temperance Union.