Mostrando 94 resultados

Registro de autoridad
Secondary Agency

Saskatchewan. Dept. of Social Services. Community and Personal Services Division

  • GA 130
  • Secondary Agency
  • 1979-1980

Established in 1979, the Community and Personal Services Division of the Department of Social Services provided services and programs to strengthen and support individual and family life in Saskatchewan. The division was organized into three branches: Core Services Branch; Home Care and Senior Citizens Branch; and Family and Community Services Branch.

The Core Services Branch was responsible for providing services to mentally challenged persons and for supporting the non-governmental organizations that offered complementary services. Community residential programs such as approved homes, group homes, training homes and semi-independent living settings offered care with an aim of clients functioning as independently as possible. The Community Resource Home and Outreach Program provided respite services to clients' families. The Valley View Centre in Moose Jaw and the North Park Centre in Prince Albert provided residential facilities for long-term care and programming. As well, the branch was responsible for the administration of activity centres and sheltered workshops throughout the province.

The Home Care and Senior Citizens Branch was organized into two sections: Senior Citizens and Home Care. The Senior Citizens Section was responsible for the planning and development of special-care homes, for the provision of subsidies to all residents of special-care homes, and for the licensing of low-income housing units for seniors. The section also established a Regulations Review Committee to review regulations pursuant to The Housing and Special-care Homes Act. The Home Care Section was responsible for the organization of district home care boards that provided home care service. Services delivered by the boards included nursing, homemaking, meals, home maintenance, and physical and occupational therapy. The section also coordinated with non-governmental agencies and senior care centres to provide services and to promote independence in seniors.

The Family and Community Services Branch was organized into three sections: Family and Youth Services Section; Day Care Section; and Community Services Section. The Family and Youth Services Section operated under the authority of The Family Services Act, The Unified Family Court Act, The Children of Unmarried Parents Act, and the federal Juvenile Delinquents Act. The section provided protection for children from families struggling to care for them in the form of counselling and foster care. Adoption services were provided through ward agreements and through the REACH (Resources for the Adoption of Children) program. Four child care facilities (Saskatchewan Boys' Centre, Roy Wilson Centre, Dales House, Kilburn Hall) along with several non-governmental agencies provided care for troubled youth. As well, the section provided juvenile offender services. The Day Care Section administered grants and monitored the standards of a variety of day care services throughout the province. The section encouraged involvement of parents in decision-making on the provision of services, and promoted public awareness about day care services. The Community Services Section administered grants and monitored the standards, financial operations and licenses of non-governmental social services organizations.

As a result of re-organization in 1980, child and youth services became the responsibility of the department's Regional Services Division, and seniors and home care services became the responsibility of the Continuing Care Division. All core services, day care and community services remained the responsibility of the Community and Personal Services Division.

Saskatchewan. Dept. of Social Services. Family Support Division

  • GA 132
  • Secondary Agency
  • 1983-1988

Established in 1983, the Family Support Division of the Department of Social Services provided child, family and youth social services by authority of The Family Services Act and Regulations and the federal Juvenile Delinquents Act. (after April 1984, the Young Offenders Act). Programs and services were delivered through a network of twenty-four service delivery units throughout the province. The division also oversaw provisions of service by non-governmental organizations that supplemented or complemented services provided by the department. The division reported to the Assistant Deputy Minister of the department, and was organized into two sections: Child and Family Services and Youth Services.

Child and Family Services included child protection, single parent services, adoption and foster care. Child protection services investigated into all reports of child abuse or neglect. Subsequent measures included counselling, referral and supportive services or the removal of a child from the home. Single parent services provided information, referrals, counselling, and pre-natal and post-natal support services, as well as services for single mothers seeking to place children for adoption. In addition, services were expanded to focus on teen parents. Adoption services were responsible for the recruitment, screening, preparation and selection of adoptive families for children in need of placement, as well as facilitating private and step-parent adoptions. In addition, the REACH (Resources for the Adoption of Children) program coordinated adoptions for children with special needs and circumstances. The Foster Home Program provided substitute family environments for children in need of temporary or permanent placement. Responsibility for children in foster care was shared between the department and the foster parents in the program.

Youth Services included young offenders services and residential services. Young offenders services administered cases of juvenile offenders in the justice system. Services offered were consistent with the Act, and included Alternative Measures (non-judicial mediation), Community Options (judicial interim release, community homes, day programs, community service orders, personal service orders, fines, compensation, and probation), and Custody Options (remand, open custody and secure custody.) Residential services were provided from four child care facilities: Saskatchewan Boys' Centre (renamed Paul Dojack Centre in 1985), Roy Wilson Centre, Dales House and Kilburn Hall, from purchased residential care from three non-governmental organizations and from government-funded group homes and receiving homes throughout the province.

As a result of a departmental re-organization in 1985, child and family services renamed the responsibility of the Family Support Division, while a separate division was created for young offender services. A subsequent re-organization in 1988 had responsibilities of the Family Support Division transferred to the Family Services Division.

Saskatchewan. Dept. of Municipal Affairs. Northern Settlers' Re-establishment Branch

  • GA 60
  • Secondary Agency
  • 1935-1945

In the early 1930s, the Depression and drought forced many farmers from the southern areas of the province to move to northern Saskatchewan's drought-free forest fringe areas, which were being opened for farming. Urban residents were also encouraged to move north to establish farms by municipalities and provincial programs responsible for relief payments. An estimated 45,000 people migrated north between 1930 and 1936. As they were unfamiliar with northern farming conditions, most settlers were not able to survive without government assistance.

The Northern Settlers' Re-establishment Branch (NSRB) was established under the Department of Municipal Affairs in September 1935 to consolidate assistance programs administered by several departments. The branch provided assistance to settlers in the hopes of establishing self-supporting agricultural communities. The branch's activities including extending credit for breaking land, building farms, and buying livestock; providing direct relief to settlers to improve their land for subsistence farming; organizing community infrastructure projects, such as group building of schools, homes, roads and drainage systems; buying caterpillar tractors and other equipment for breaking land and building roads; organizing agricultural education programs; relocating farmers; converting unsuitable farm land back to public land; building roads; and braking and draining usable land.

The branch was initially supervised by a commissioner. Duties of field staff included administering the Local Improvement Districts in the north, thereby performing similar functions to those of municipalities in the south. Branch personnel were responsible for ensuring that beneficiaries sufficiently demonstrated that they were working on their farms and the community projects. In 1936, the activities of the branch were placed under the direction of the newly created Northern Settlers' Re-establishment Board, consisting of three members, one of whom served as chair. In April 1937, the board was rescinded and direction of the branch was returned to the commissioner.

The NSRB was renamed the Northern Areas Branch in 1940. On February 1, 1945, the Northern Areas Branch was consolidated with the southern local improvement district office to form the Local Improvement Districts Branch of the Department of Municipal Affairs. The amalgamation was carried out in order to provide more uniform service and administration to residents of local improvement districts.

Saskatchewan. Office of the General Manager of Saskatchewan Power Corporation

  • GA 105
  • Secondary Agency
  • 1949-1980

The general manager of Saskatchewan Power Corporation (SPC) was the chief executive officer of the corporation. Divisions and departments of the corporation reported to the general manager, who in turn reported to the board of directors.

A.L. (Albert) Cole served as acting general manager between late-1948 and early-1949 in the period of conversion of Saskatchewan Power Commission to Saskatchewan Power Corporation. J. W. (John) Tomlinson was appointed the first general manager of SPC in 1949. Tomlinson served as general manager until his resignation on November 30, 1954. Upon Tomlinson's resignation, chief engineer W.B. Clipsham served as acting general manager until September 1955, when David Cass-Beggs was appointed general manager. Cass-Beggs had worked for SPC as a special consultant since 1947. He served as general manager until mid-1964. Once again, W.B. Clipsham was appointed acting general manager until the appointment of D.B. (David) Furlong in March 1965.

Furlong held the position of general manager until his resignation in May 1970. R.R. (Richard) Keith was first appointed acting general manager upon Furlong's departure, and was later appointed general manager. He served as such until the appointment of F.G. (Fred) Ursel on March 1, 1976.

A major corporate reorganization in 1980 converted the general manager position into that of president. Ursel remained with SPC as president until 1981.

Saskatchewan. Conservation Branch

  • GA 106
  • Secondary Agency
  • 1954-1960

The Conservation Branch was established in the Department of Natural Resources in 1954. Overseen by a director, the branch originally consisted of three divisions: the Conservation Information Service; the Conservation Officers' Training School; and the Saskatchewan Museum of Natural History. The Conservation Information Service was responsible for publicity, visual aids, publications and extension services. The Service prepared information for news releases; produced the Northern News radio program on CKBI in Prince Albert; produced pamphlets and other publications; compiled a library of films and still photography; and presented information to school children and other interest groups. The Conservation Officers' Training School provided training for new field officers and offered refresher courses for veteran staff. The Saskatchewan Museum of Natural History was responsible for acquiring and exhibiting aspects of the province's natural history and educating the public in the areas of botany, zoology, archaeology, geology and paleontology.

The Conservation Branch was also responsible for conducting anthropological research into the Metis people of northern Saskatchewan; conducting geographical research on the development of renewable resources; developing guidelines on the disposition of Crown forest lands; and maintaining a central registry of all dispositions.

During the 1955-56 fiscal year, the Conservation Officers' Training School was transferred to the Administrative Services Branch. In 1955, the branch reassumed responsibility for the Historic Sites program, which involved locating, verifying and marking sites of historic significance in the province. The program was transferred to the Department of Travel and Information around 1957. During the 1956-1957 fiscal year, two new divisions were created. The Anthropological Research Division conducted research among northern Saskatchewan's Métis people to determine methods for improving their living conditions. The Lands Division surveyed the growth of the recreational use of provincial land and resources. During the 1958-59 fiscal year, the Anthropological Research Division was eliminated and the Lands Division was expanded into the Recreation Land Use Division, which was given a broader mandate to assist in the planning and design of recreational sites.

During the 1960-61 fiscal year, the Conservation Branch was reorganized into the Parks and Conservation Branch in response to the substantial increase in responsibilities assigned to the branch related to parks.

Saskatchewan. Dept. of Natural Resources. Extension Services Branch

  • GA 110
  • Secondary Agency
  • 1972-1974

In 1972, the Department of Natural Resources underwent a major reorganization. The Conservation Information Branch; the Museum of Natural History; and the Hunter Safety Program were amalgamated to form the new Extension Services Branch. The branch's primary mandate was to educate the public on the management and utilization of Saskatchewan's renewable resources including fish, timber, and wildlife. The branch was managed by a director, who reported to the associate deputy minister.

The Conservation Information Service was responsible for public education and awareness. The division's activities included: preparing and distributing promotional materials and informational items, including pamphlets, guides, stickers, special publications and "The Resource Report", a weekly collection of press releases and articles featuring departmental activities; operating telephone information lines in Regina, Moose Jaw, Saskatoon and Prince Albert; organizing advertising campaigns; assisting with special events; and producing news programs for radio and television, including the "Northern News" radio program broadcast from Prince Albert to all northern areas.

The Museum of Natural History hosted visitors at its permanent facility in Regina; offered various public education programs; designed, created and installed interpretive displays in provincial parks, recreation areas and regional parks; conducted archaeological research; and administered the provincial historic sites program.

The Hunter Safety Program, formerly under the jurisdiction of the department's Wildlife Branch, offered training on the proper handling of firearms and ammunition, safe hunting practices, game identification and field survival. The program, taught by volunteer instructors and administered with the co-operation of the Saskatchewan Wildlife Federation, was offered to schools, community groups, armed forced cadet leagues and other interested parties. The program's supervisors were located in Regina and Prince Albert.

In 1973, the Hunter Safety Program was renamed the Firearm Safety Program. The Extension Services Branch became responsible for standardizing the department's visual identity through the design, planning and production of displays, printed materials, signs, promotional items and advertising. The "Northern News" radio program was transferred to the newly established Department of Northern Saskatchewan and was produced from La Ronge. On April 1, 1974, the Department of Natural Resources and the Tourist Branch of the Department of Industry and Commerce were amalgamated to form the Department of Tourism and Renewable Resources. The Extension Services Branch continued to operate in the new department with a modified structure and mandate.

Saskatchewan. Dept. of Revenue, Supply and Services. Operations Division

  • GA 113
  • Secondary Agency
  • 1978-1983

The Operations Division of the Department of Revenue, Supply and Services was managed by an executive director with directors/supervisors at the branch/agency level. The division originally consisted of eight branches and agencies as follows: Administration Branch; Central Vehicle Agency; Mail and Telecommunications Branch; Office Services Agency; Personnel and Training Branch; Purchasing Agency; Queen's Printer; and Supply Agency.

The primary responsibilities of the Operations Division included: supplying and maintaining ground and air vehicles; operating the Saskatchewan Air Ambulance Program; operating the mail and messenger service between government offices; providing central services in photocopying, duplicating and bindery; acquiring goods and services through the tender process and the disposal of surplus goods; operating a stockroom to supply common office supplies to government; and distributing acts and publications.

Around 1980, the Personnel and Training Branch and the Administration Branch were transferred to the department's Administrative Services Division. Around 1982, the Photographic Services Agency, which provided photography and darkroom services to government and maintained a complete photographic library, was transferred from Executive Council, Information Services Branch to the Operations Division.

In 1983, the Department of Revenue, Supply and Services was reorganized into two new departments: the Department of Revenue and Financial Services and the Department of Supply and Services. The functions of the Operations Division were assumed by the Commercial Services Division of the new Department of Supply and Services.

Saskatchewan. Dept. of Supply and Services. Commercial Services Division

  • GA 120
  • Secondary Agency
  • 1983-1986

The Commercial Services Division of the Department of Supply and Services, which was managed by an executive director, originally consisted of the Transportation Services Branch, the Communication Services Branch, the Central Survey and Mapping Agency, and the Office Services Agency.

The functions and responsibilities of the division were centered on providing services to Saskatchewan government departments, agencies and Crown corporations. The division provided central photocopying services to offices where it was not feasible to have individual machines; produced the Saskatchewan Gazette and other statutory publications; provided land transportation through the acquisition and lease of vehicles; provided executive air, air ambulance and forest fire detection/suppression services; provided integrated telecommunication services; provided mapping and surveying services and operated a distribution centre for maps, photographs and survey information; offered photographic services that included a still photography library; and distributed and delivered all government mail.

During the 1986-87 fiscal year, the Commercial Services Division was reorganized into the Operations and Services Division.

Saskatchewan. Dept. of Education. Visual Education Branch

  • GA 122
  • Secondary Agency
  • 1945-1965

In 1945, the Audio-Visual Instruction Branch of the Department of Education was reorganized into the Visual Education Branch. Managed by a supervisor, the branch's original functions included loaning motion picture films, filmstrips, slides and other visual aids to schools and other organizations across the province to support instruction; instructing teachers and other individuals and groups on the use of visual materials and equipment; producing and distributing manuals to assist in using the materials; maintaining an extensive library of films produced by the National Film Board, other government departments and private corporations; and producing motion pictures, photographs, filmstrips and slides relating to various subjects including agriculture, health and citizenship.

The Production Unit of the Visual Education Branch produced motion picture films, still photographs, filmstrips, slides and other visual aids for publicity and educational purposes. Motion picture films were produced for tourism, publicity or instructional purposes. Staff photographers created images of individuals, buildings and public events at the request of other government departments for use in annual reports, pamphlets, displays, etc. The unit provided processing and enlargement services and maintained a library of still photographs. Effective March 31, 1954, the Unit was transferred to the Bureau of Publications and became known as the Government Photographic Services.

From 1945 to 1955, the branch maintained an arrangement with the National Film Board (NFB) whereby a NFB projectionist provided assistance in showing educational films in schools that did not have the necessary equipment. The arrangement ended when the NFB established its own office in Regina for distribution of its film in Saskatchewan.

Around 1965, the Visual Education Branch became the Visual Education Section of the newly created Curriculum Branch.

Saskatchewan. Dept. of Social Services. Corrections Division

  • GA 142
  • Secondary Agency
  • 1972-1983

The Corrections Division of the Department of Social Services was established on October 1, 1972 as part of a departmental reorganization. Creation of the division stemmed from the recommendations of the 1971 Saskatchewan Corrections Study Committee that all correctional services be integrated into one organizational unit. Personnel responsible for the division included a director of corrections, a chief probation officer, a director of community corrections and an institutional planner. The director of corrections reported to the department's deputy minister.

The key functional areas of the division were correctional centres, probation programs and community corrections programs. At its establishment, the division was responsible for the administration of correctional centres at Regina (which housed male offenders from southern Saskatchewan), at Prince Albert (those from northern Saskatchewan) and at the Pine Grove Centre in Prince Albert (female offenders from all of Saskatchewan). The department's Northern Regional Office also administered small correctional facilities at Buffalo Narrows, Creighton and Besnard Lake for low to medium-risk offenders residing in the far north of the province. A new provincial correctional centre opened in Saskatoon in 1981, as did a replacement facility for men in Prince Albert. A community correctional centre was established in North Battleford in 1980.

Typically, offenders housed at these correctional facilities were serving: sentences of less than two years; were remanded while awaiting trial or sentencing; or were sentenced to federal penitentiaries but were awaiting decision from the Court of Appeal. The larger correctional centres at Regina, Prince Albert and Saskatoon were organized into three function-based areas: custody; treatment; and support services (laundry, kitchen, clerical, etc.). Treatment and rehabilitation programs offered to offenders while in custody included: work camps; vocational and academic training; group activities and recreation; medical and dental services; counselling; family therapy; and allowances for temporary absences. Parole services were coordinated by the institutions in cooperation with the National Parole Board.

Probation programs and services were delivered primarily by probation officers staffed at regional offices throughout the province. The two key functions of probation officers were to prepare pre-sentence reports and to supervise offenders on probation. The preparation of pre-sentence reports involved investigation into the circumstances leading to the offence, assessment of the offender to determine a personality profile, and establishment of a rehabilitation program for the offender. This program was then monitored as part of the supervision of the offender during the period of probation.

Various probation programs and services were established by the division, including: the Indian Probation Office Program (1975); Volunteers in Probation (1976); probation hostels (1980); attendance centres (1980); and the Impaired Driver's Treatment Program (1980). These programs were aimed at diversifying the opportunities for offenders on probation to rehabilitate, thus avoiding further offences.

Community corrections offered programs and services that protected society while providing rehabilitation opportunities to offenders, often outside the confines of a correctional facility. The Community Training Residence program offered residence and rehabilitation opportunities for low-risk offenders through employment, academic and vocational training, counselling, and addictions treatment from a variety of community resources. The Fine Option Program was established in 1975 as a means for offenders to work off fines through volunteer service at community agencies rather than face incarceration for non-payment of fines. The Bail Verification and Supervision Program, introduced in 1982, assisted courts in determining which offenders could be released under surety or supervision while awaiting trial. Also introduced in 1982, the Restitution Program provided an alternative measure for property crime offenders to reimburse their victims the monetary value of the damage or loss from their crime rather than being incarcerated.

The Corrections Division of the Department of Social Services was discontinued on April 30, 1983 upon the establishment of the Department of Justice. Responsibilities of the division were transferred to the Corrections Division of the new department.

Resultados 1 a 10 de 94