Showing 15 results

Authority record
Winnipeg (Man.)

Bauslaugh, Peter Allan, 1856-1934

  • Person
  • 1856-1934

Born in Mount Pleasant, Ontario on December 20, 1856, Peter Bauslaugh came to Winnipeg in 1881 where he worked for several photography studios, including Steele & Company, Bryant’s, and Bauslaugh & Taylor. He died in Winnipeg on March 29, 1934 and is buried in Brantford, Ontario.


  • Corporate body
  • 1960-1973

In 1960, Ralph S. Misener, a Winnipeg shipping executive that was working on behalf of a company to be incorporated (Ralph S. Misener & Associates), received federal cabinet approval to bring a private television station to Winnipeg. Misener's associates included Lloyd Moffat, president of CKY Radio; T.O. Peterson, president of Investors' Syndicate of Canada Ltd. and previously had an interest in CFOB Radio in Fort Frances; Roland Couture, managing director of CKSB Radio St. Boniface; Walter E. Kroecker, president of CFAM Radio in Altona; and engineering consultant, Nick Pappas of N.J. Pappas & Associates of Montreal. The CJAY-TV call letters were approved by the Department of Transport and the new station was granted permission to broadcast over channel 7. The station hoped to be on the air November 1 with studios and offices to be located in a new building at the Polo Park Shopping Centre, south of the Winnipeg Arena. The building would feature over 60,000 square feet of floor space, two major studios of about 52 x 72 feet each and a smaller production studio of about 20 x 32 feet, with the expectation that underground cables would run to the arena so as to offer direct transmission of events.

At the inaugural meeting of Channel Seven Television Ltd., the following directors were elected: Ralph S. Misener, Lloyd E. Moffat, T.O. Peterson, Campbell Haig, Q.C., Walter E. Kroeker and Roland G. Couture. Misener was president, Moffat was VP, Peterson was treasurer, Haig was secretary and Jack M. Davidson was appointed general manager.. Davidson announced that A.G. Cobb (previously of CKWS Radio-TV in Kingston) would be CJAY's technical director, Stewart MacPherson program director, and Jerry Johnson (from CKBI-TV Prince Albert) general sales manager. This was followed by the hiring of Barry Gordon as production supervisor, Joe Gibson producer-director, Dick Seaborn musical director, Don McLean farm service director, Ed McCrea sales executive, Don Nairn sales co-ordinator, Barry Nicholls public service director, and Jack Wells was named sports commentator (who would would continue his newspaper work and sports commentating for CKY Radio)..

A short delay, meant that CJAY-TV signed on the air on November 12 1960 at 5:00 p.m with an hour-long program highlighting the official opening of CJAY-TV. The Honorable Erick F. Willis, lieutenant-governor of Manitoba was among the approximately 700 official guests on hand for the opening. On the first day CJAY boasted some 130 employees, while the building had large studios (each 50 x 70 feet), four control rooms, prop storage area, videotape centre and eight cameras.

On October 1, 1961 CJAY-TV joined the CTV network.

In 1973, the call letters of the station were changed to CKY-TV.

Carr, Rosetta Ernestine Watson, 1844-1907

  • Person
  • 1844-1907

Born in Drummond Township, Canada. Rosetta Carr trained as a photographer with William Notman. She moved to Winnipeg in 1883 and a year later purchased a local photographic business, which she named the American Art Gallery. She died in Ottawa in 1907.

Portnall, Francis Henry, 1886-1976

  • Person
  • 1886-1976

Francis Henry Portnall was born on the Isle of Wight, England on May 3, 1886. In 1901 he was hired at the architectural firm of William A. Pite in London. Portnall proceeded to article with Pite and Balfour between 1901 and 1905 and then moved to Carlisle, England where he worked as an assistant to James H. Martin dale. In 1906 he emigrated to Canada, settling in Winnipeg, Manitoba where he worked for the firm of Darling and Pearson and was soon sent to Regina to supervise their project for the Knox Metropolitan Church. Upon his return to Winnipeg, he left Darling and Pearson to work for the Winnipeg School Board as an assistant to their chief architect James B. Bitchell. In 1908, Portnall moved to Regina where he first joined the firm of Clemesha and Coltman, and then formed a partnership with Frederick C. Clemesha and established their own firm in 1913. He enlisted in the Canadian Expeditionary Force for World War One, serving with the 10th Brigade Machine Gun Company from 1915 to 1918. Upon his return to Regina, he continued his partnership with Clemesha until 1922 whereupon he established his own business with a focus on the design of educational, ecclesiastical and residential buildings. In 1945 he formed a partnership with Daniel H. Stock, which lasted until 1951, and he began a working relationship with E. Hendrick Grolle.

Portnall died in Regina on September 13, 1976.

Results 1 to 10 of 15