Showing 51 results

Authority record
Corporate

Air Force Association of Canada No. 600 (City of Regina) Wing, 1949-

  • PA 42
  • Corporate
  • 1949-

The Air Force Association of Canada was founded on 21 May 1948 to provide civilian community support to the Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF), and to serve as a network for ex-airmen who had returned to civilian life. Branches or "wings" were formed in many cities across Canada. Initially, the association drew its membership from all ranks of the RCAF, and concentrated on military-based aviation initiatives. The association was re-organized in 1972 to include members of the civilian aviation community. Its activities focused on supporting aviation in Canada, preserving the traditions of the RCAF, working with air cadets, improving living conditions for servicemen, cooperating with other veterans associations, and promoting community-based service. Members have been active in other activities including the National Executive of the Association and the RCAF Benevolent Fund.

No. 600 (City of Regina) Wing received its charter on 5 January 1949. The Association's membership includes veterans of numerous squadrons such as
No. 162 BR (Flying Boat) Squadron, which flew consolidated Cansos during the Second World War. As of July 1998, the Association had 103 members. The Association is closely affiliated with the 600 RCAF Veterans Association, which provides assistance to needy air force veterans and works to preserve air force history.

Boy Scouts of Canada, Saskatchewan Provincial Council Inc., 1939-

  • PA 268
  • Corporate
  • 1939-

Scouting was introduced in Canada around 1908. Around 1914, the national organization was incorporated and divided into councils, each representing a whole province or large part thereof. The Boy Scouts Association, Saskatchewan Provincial Council was established in 1915 to administer the scouting program in Saskatchewan. A.H. Ball was the first Provincial Commissioner while George H. Barr was Provincial President and Frank C. Irwin Provincial Secretary. Assistant Provincial Commissioner visited communities across province to organize troops. provincial office maintains records of all tests passed and badges issued. provide training courses for scout leaders Lieutenant Governor of Saskatchewan Chief Scout organize new troops; introduce programs through schools

The Boy Scouts of Canada, Saskatchewan Provincial Council was incorporated as a non-profit organization in Saskatchewan on May 18, 1939 under the provisions of the Benevolent Societies Act. then Boy Scouts of Canada, Saskatchewan Provincial Council Inc. around 1960 On November 15, 2007, the name changed to Scouts Canada, Saskatchewan Council Inc. registered office located at 1313 Broadway Avenue in Regina. executive includes council commissioner; council treasurer; secretary; groups include Scouts, Beavers, Cubs and Rovers programs for youth in cities and towns in Sk; member of Canadian General Council

operates Camp Gilwell, near Lebret closed in 2009 offers Wood Badge course ; revenue from camping operations; donations; events; fundraisers; membership fees; grants from provincial and federal organizations; program sections include Beavers; Wolf Cubs; Scouts; Venturers; and Rovers. offer several major awards and badges

Canadian Club of Regina, 1908-

  • PA 296
  • Corporate
  • 1908-

The Canadian Club of Regina was established in Saskatchewan on February 21, 1908 with its first meeting being held at City Hall. Over one hundred members signed the charter during that meeting and elected Judge H.W. Newlands as the first president. The Club's establishment followed the guidelines of other Canadian Clubs across the country, the first of which was founded in Hamilton, Ontario in 1893. The main objectives of the Canadian Club were to inform members about Canada's history and issues around the country, to encourage economic development within the country, and to promote Canadian nationalism and patriotism. Membership was open to British subjects or naturalized citizens.

The Women's Canadian Club of Regina was established at a meeting held on December 29, 1920 at the Y.M.C.A. building in Regina. This came after a group of prominent local woman, interested in becoming involved in the Canadian Club, met and discussed the formation of the club with General Alex Ross, Vice-President for Saskatchewan of the Association of Canadian Clubs. Evelyn Roberts Brown was named Provisional President. The formal organization of the Women's Canadian Club of Regina took place at Regina Collegiate Institute on January 22, 1921 with the adoption of a constitution.

Membership in the Women's Club of Regina was strong, especially through the 1940s with close to 1000 members. Membership numbers dropped but remained high through the 1950s, 1960s and 1970s. With the formation of the Women's Canadian Club, the men's group became known as the Men's Canadian Club of Regina.

Through their histories, the Men's Canadian Club of Regina and the Women's Canadian Club of Regina have individually and collectively featured guest speakers at their meetings from various disciplines and perspectives. Journalists, politicians, scientists, diplomats, authors, activists and other professionals from Canada and around the world have made presentations to the Clubs. The focus of the presentations over the history of the clubs grew in spectrum to include local, national and global issues. The Clubs also broadened their membership requirements by inviting all citizens to join. A highlight for the Club was hosting the 41st Biennial National Conference of the Association of Canadian Clubs in 1975.

Through the 1980s, membership numbers dropped in both clubs, most notably in the Men's Club. This prompted an amalgamation of the two clubs, which officially took place on May 7, 1987 and membership in the joint Canadian Club of Regina stood between 200 and 300 members. The Club initiated a high school liason program, and sponsored students to participate in the national Encounters with Canada program. The Club celebrated Canada 125 in 1992 and the centennial anniversary of Canadian Clubs in 1993, and again hosted the Association of Canadian Clubs national conference in 1996.

The Canadian Club of Regina continues (2005) to promote the ideas of Canadian pride and unity. The Club presents speakers to its membership each month at various hotels throughout Regina. It also continues to be an affiliate member of the Association of Canadian Clubs.

Canadian Polish Congress. Saskatchewan Branch, 1985-1993

  • PA 381
  • Corporate
  • 1985-1993

The Canadian Polish Congress Saskatchewan District Inc. was the Saskatchewan branch of the Canadian Polish Congress (CPC).

The CPC is a national organization formed in Toronto in 1944 to centralize and direct the various organizations across Canada with an interest in Polish history, culture, language, etc. It was initially open to any legally chartered Polish organization with the exception of those that supported communism or anarchism. (This limitation is not present in the current constitution of the organization.) Where numbers warranted, groups specific to a particular region also formed local branch or district umbrella groups which themselves became members of the national body. The Canadian Polish Congress Saskatchewan District Inc. represented a number of organizations either located in Saskatchewan or with a Saskatchewan focus.

Meetings to form a Saskatchewan Branch of the CPC were held between June 18 and June 20, 1982. Peter Wiele¿yñski was elected as the first president of the branch with the first official meeting scheduled for October 10, 1982. The branch was officially incorporated on January 31, 1985 as a non-profit organization under the provisions of the Societies Act.

In recent years, an aging membership and a reduction in immigration has resulted in fewer active participants. Changing demographics and the diversification of ethnic enclaves also impacted traditional Polish parishes.

The Saskatchewan Branch of the Canadian Polish Congress was struck off the registry of companies on June 30, 1993. Minutes of a November 1993 general meeting reflect that only seven members were in attendance and there is no indication of any subsequent meetings.

Canadian Schizophrenia Foundation, 1968-2003

  • PA 361
  • Corporate
  • 1963-2003

The Canadian Schizophrenia Foundation was a national, non-profit, charitable organization incorporated on December 18, 1968. The first executive included Dr. Abram Hoffer (president), Irwin J. Kahan (director), and Donald C. (Ben) Webster (treasurer). The Foundation's head office was located in Regina, Saskatchewan until 1986, when it was moved to Burnaby, British Columbia (1986 to 1992), and later North York, Ontario (1992-2003). The foundation had branches in cities across the country, including Regina and Saskatoon.

The Canadian Schizophrenia Foundation was dedicated to research and public awareness of schizophrenia diagnosis, treatments and prevention methods. The Foundation included professionals, schizophrenics and their families, and others interested in mental health issues. The Foundation held annual conferences and public meetings, issued publications and distributed information packages. Most of the Foundation's funding came from memberships, subscriptions, donations and the sale of publications.

In 1972, the Foundation began publishing a quarterly journal, The Journal of Orthomolecular Psychiatry, which featured articles by physicians, psychiatrists and scientists concerning the megavitamin treatment of mental illness. In 1973, the name of the journal was changed to The Journal of Orthomolecular Medicine to include psychiatric and preventive medicine. The Foundation also published a quarterly newsletter that included case histories, editorials, book reviews and articles relating to orthomolecular health.

On January 13, 2003, the Canadian Schizophrenia Foundation became the International Schizophrenia Foundation.

Claybank Brick Plant, 1898-1991

  • PA 1
  • Corporate
  • 1898-1991

The origins of the Claybank Brick Plant go back to 1886 when Tom McWilliams, a homesteader in the Claybank, Saskatchewan area, began mining heat-resistant or 'refractory' clay, on his property. This type of clay is well-suited for manufacturing fire brick, which is used to insulate boilers, fireplaces, furnaces, and other high-heat areas. In 1904 Mr. McWilliams entered into a formal agreement with the Moose Jaw Fire Brick and Pottery Company, which acquired the original McWilliams homestead plus other nearby clay deposits. Development of the property was hindered by lack of access to primary markets, but when the Canadian Northern Railway line was built in the district in 1910, the access problem was solved and plant construction could begin.

In 1912 the Moose Jaw Fire Brick and Pottery Company restructured, purchased Mr. McWilliams' shares, and became Saskatchewan Clay Products. (This was a private company that was not related to the Crown Corporation Saskatchewan Clay Products, which was founded in 1945.) The brick plant was completed in 1914, only to close until 1916 due to World War I and an economic recession.

The company was reopened in 1916 as Dominion Fire Brick and Clay Products Ltd. The revitalized company expanded its product line to include face brick and specialized firebrick. In the 1920s the company began producing high grade refractory tiles. These specialized tiles were used for flue and furnace linings, steam engine linings and locomotive arch bricks. This product helped the company survive the Depression. By 1938 the Claybank Brick Plant was the busiest in the province. During World War II, the company's products were used extensively by the Royal Canadian Navy in the construction of corvettes. By 1950 the plant was the largest in the province.

In 1954 the Claybank Brick Plant was purchased by the Alberta company Redcliffe Pressed Brick and renamed Dominion Fire Brick and Clay Products (1954) Limited. For the rest of its operating history, ownership of the plant would be from outside the province of Saskatchewan. In 1955 controlling interest in the company was purchased by A.P. Green Fire Brick Company of Mexico, Missouri. This company, one of North America's leading producers of refractory products, modernized the plant's operations. One of the first changes was the conversion of six of the ten beehive kilns to natural gas from the traditional lignite coal. This change meant the end of face brick production, as face brick got its coloring from the coal-fired kilns. The company was also losing market share for its refractory products, primarily because diesel locomotive engines were being adopted by the railroads. The company tried to compensate for these losses by aggressively selling other forms of fire brick, a technique that was only partially successful.

By 1962 A.P. Green had complete control of the Claybank Brick Plant, although the company continued to operate under the name Dominion Fire Brick and Clay Products until 1970. By 1971 the plant became known as a subsidiary of A.P. Green Refractories (Canada) Ltd. This full integration limited the plant's prospects and appears to have accelerated the plant's final economic decline. Dwindling markets, changing technologies, outmoded equipment and corporate downsizing all contributed to the plant's closure in 1989.

Following the closure of the plant in June 1989 the Province of Saskatchewan indicated its intention to designate the plant as a provincial heritage site. In 1992 A.P. Green donated the site, including the brick plant, machinery and equipment to the Saskatchewan Heritage Foundation. In 1996 the plant was declared a national historic site. In 1998 the Claybank Brick Plant was officially designated as Provincial Heritage property.

Co-operative Union of Saskatchewan, 1944-2003

  • PA 439
  • Corporate
  • 1944-2003

The Co-operative Union of Saskatchewan (CUS) began in 1940-1941 as the Saskatchewan Section of the Co-operative Union of Canada (CUC). The Saskatchewan Section incorporated on May 15, 1944 as the Co-operative Union of Saskatchewan under the Saskatchewan Co-operative Associations Act (SS 1944 s 47). The founding members were the Moosomin Co-operative Association Limited; the Sherwood Co-operative Association Limited; the Bulyea Community Co-operative Association Limited; the Moose Jaw Consumers' Co-operative Association Limited; and the Ukrainian Co-operative Association Limited, with McD. Rankin serving as first president and E.F. Scharf as secretary.

Membership in the CUS was open to any co-operative association incorporated within Canadian legislation; any federation of credit unions; and any mutual society with powers similar to that of a co-operative association or a credit union. This included consumer, producer, financial, insurance, service and educational co-operatives and credit unions.

The CUS was administered by a board of directors elected from the membership at the annual meeting; by executive officers selected by the board of directors; and by office staff whose services could be made available to the membership. The CUS executive included a President, Vice-President, Executive Secretary, and Public Relationship Officer. Until 1945, the CUS operated with part-time staff, but increased membership and demand for expanded services resulted in permanent staff. As membership grew, district federations were established across the province to better represent local interests and handle issues that could be resolved without the involvement of the CUS central governance. In 1960, the CUS was re-organized on a district basis, with the composition of the Board of Directors adjusted to include a representative from each federation or district and a few seats allocated for additional membership representatives.

The central purpose of the CUS was to encourage the education, development and maintenance of co-operatives in Saskatchewan. To achieve this objective the CUS conducted activities such as organizing, promoting and assisting co-op schools; promoting and advocating co-operative principles through local and province-wide meetings and talks by leaders in the co-operative movement; providing organizational, financial and legal advisory services to existing and developing co-operatives; printing, publishing, purchasing and making available materials supporting co-operative principles and practices; monitoring, preparing briefs and lobbying in response to legislation and regulations.

In 1955, following the amalgamation of the co-operative wholesales of Manitoba and Saskatchewan, a meeting was held with the boards of the International Co-operative Institute and the Co-operative Union of Saskatchewan; representatives of the Saskatchewan Department of Education and Department of Co-operation and Co-operative Development; the University of Saskatchewan and regional co-operatives, to discuss the need for organized education and training programs. At this meeting, the International Co-operative Institute changed its name to the Co-operative Institute and the Co-operative Union of Saskatchewan assumed directional responsibility for the Institute. Classes at the Institute began by October 1955. By 1959 its expanded program led the Co-operative Institute to incorporate and change its name to the Western Co-operative College.

In addition to the establishment of the College, the CUS continued its own education programs, providing guidance and supervisory assistance in local areas. Training sessions were co-sponsored with partners such as the Extension Department of the University of Saskatchewan, the provincial Department of Co-operation and Co-operative Development and the Saskatchewan Women's Co-operative Guild.

In August 1966, the Co-operative Union of Saskatchewan became known as the Co-operative Development Association (CDA). The emphasis for the organization changed from the education of co-operatives to the promotion of co-operative ideals and principles as well as the provision of leadership for the planning and development of co-operatives. The CDA was organized into sixteen districts each responsible for reviewing local co-operative development; for establishing district development programs; for coordinating education and for extension programs for members and non-members; and for developing and reviewing resolutions. Each district had a District Development Council and elected six delegates to the CDA. From these delegates, every two districts elected one Board of Director member. The Executive Committee (consisting of a president, two vice-presidents, and two additional members) was chosen by the Board.

In 1973-1974, the Co-operative Development Association was brought under the control of the Co-operative College of Canada. The College retained educational programming and promotion of co-operative development in Saskatchewan. In 1987, the Co-operative College of Canada merged with the Co-operative Union of Canada (CUC) and formed the Canadian Co-operative Association (CCA).

In 2003, the CCA, Saskatchewan Region was incorporated as its own community service co-operative under the name of Saskatchewan Co-operative Association (SCA). The SCA currently (2009) operates as a provincial coalition of co-operatives and credit unions responsible for the support of co-operative development and for the promotion of the co-operative model as a means of community economic development.

Dixon Bros. General Merchants, 1883-1958

  • PA 269
  • Corporate
  • 1883-1958

Brothers John Dixon (1850-1922) and Isaac Chester Dixon (1854-1918) were born in Peterborough, Ontario, to Joseph and Margaret (Brown) Dixon. In 1877, John Dixon married Agnes Christie Dawson. John and Agnes had 4 children: Bessie, Ethel, Howard, and Jack. Also in 1877, Isaac Dixon married Agnes' sister Mary Harriet Dawson. Isaac and Harriet had 6 children: Alfred, Dawson, Hugh, Grace, Ruth, and Lois. John Dixon was educated in England and later at the School of Military Instruction in Kingston, Ontario.

In 1883, the Dixon Brothers began a general store business in Maple Creek, Saskatchewan. As the years passed, the firm name “Dixon Brothers,” became a household word locally and well known in the wholesale world. The Maple Creek store carried general merchandise such as groceries, hardware, clothing, building supplies, and coal. Dixon Brothers were one of the oldest agents for Galt coal, mined at Lethbridge, and were also the oldest retailers on the customer list of MacDonald's Consolidated. Their trading area covered a wide area - as far west as Walsh, Alberta; east to Gull Lake; south-west to the Shaunavon district; and from the American border to the South Saskatchewan River.

John Dixon was a loyal attendant and supporter of the Methodist Church, serving in an official way on the Trustee Board. He was active in the Masonic order as a charter member of the Maple Leaf Lodge No. 56 in Maple Creek (1893) and as district deputy grand master of the Grand Lodge of Manitoba (1903-4) and the Grand Lodge of Saskatchewan (1907-8). He also held executive positions with the local branches of the Ancient Order of United Workmen and the Independent Order of Foresters.

John Dixon's interest in church and education led to his support of the founding of Alberta College in Edmonton in 1903 and his appointment to its first board of governors, a position he held until 1912.

Isaac Chester Dixon died in 1918 in Maple Creek, Saskatchewan.

John Dixon died January 3rd, 1922 in Maple Creek, Saskatchewan.

The store continued operations following John's death under the management of Isaac's sons, Alfred Lyman and Dawson Chester Dixon, until its sale in 1958.

Dominion Electric Power Limited, 1928-1947

  • PA 388
  • Corporate
  • 1928-1947

Dominion Electric Power Limited was a private corporation incorporated in Saskatchewan on April 11, 1928 under the provisions of The Companies Act. The company, a subsidiary of Loeb and Shaw, Incorporated, New York, New York, operated electric power plants and distribution systems in Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Alberta and British Columbia. By 1945, the company operated thirteen power generating plants in Saskatchewan. The company's head office, originally in Saskatoon, was moved to Regina in October, 1928 and to Estevan in April, 1932.

The common shares of the company were purchased by the Saskatchewan Power Commission (later Saskatchewan Power Corporation) in 1945. The company properties outside of Saskatchewan were sold at tender on March 12, 1945 while the Saskatchewan facilities owned by the company were operated as a wholly-owned subsidiary of the Saskatchewan Power Commission.

The company was completely absorbed by the Saskatchewan Power Commission on January 1, 1947 and was dissolved on March 5, 1947 pursuant to section five of An Act respecting Dominion Electric Power Limited and The Saskatchewan Power Commission.

Elizabethan Music Society of Regina, 1974-2003

  • PA 290
  • Corporate
  • 1974-2003

The Elizabethan Music Society of Regina originally organized in March 1974, as a group of singers coming together to perform under the direction of David Johnson for the Pacific Northwest Renaissance Conference being held at the University of Saskatchewan, Regina Campus. The informal group decided to stay together and performed madrigals as The Voices of Spring and The Choristers and The David Johnson Singers. By 1976, the group was organized as the Elizabethan Society, and commonly became known as the Elizabethan Singers of Regina.

The Elizabethan Singers of Regina found early success as a choral group, winning the City of Lincoln trophy presented to the most outstanding small chorus at the National Music Festival in 1977. The group acquired costumes of the sixteenth century which were designed and made through the Drama Department of the University of Regina. While the group expanded its repertoire by including traditional French, Latin and German and Canadian folk songs, it continued to develop thematic programmes of the Elizabethan era. Programmes would contain music from period instruments, dance, narration, poetry and song.

Along with television, radio and concert performances throughout Saskatchewan, the group also began performing madrigal dinners in 1981. A performance highlight for the Elizabethan Singers of Regina was its appearances at the Canada and Saskatchewan pavilions at Expo 86 in Vancouver, British Columbia.

Membership in the Elizabethan Singers of Regina varied from sixteen to twenty-five members throughout most of its history. However, declining membership factored in the decision by the group to dissolve in 2001. The dissolution process was completed by the spring of 2003.

The Elizabethan Singers of Regina have been under the directorship of David Johnson (1974-1981, with guest appearances in 1983, 1989, 1992, 1994 and 1995), H. Bruce Lobaugh (1981-1982), Vernon McCarthy (1982-1983), Eleanor May (1983-1988), Robin Swales (1988-1989, 1996-1998), W. Stewart Wilkinson (1990-1996) and Ernest Kassian (1999-2001).

Results 1 to 10 of 51