Showing 29 results

Authority record
Regina (Sask.)

Aces Hockey Club (Regina, Sask.)

  • Corporate body

Founded by Clarence Mahon, who also served as coach and manager.

Operated in the Saskatchewan Senior Hockey League from 1938 to 1943.

Art Gallery of Regina

  • Corporate body
  • 2005-

Name change from Rosemont Art Gallery to Art Gallery of Regina in 2005.

Balfour Collegiate (Regina, Sask.)

  • Corporate body
  • 1930-

This school opened on September 2, 1930 as Balfour Technical School and was named after former Regina mayor, city clerk, and lawyer James Balfour. It initially operated as a technical school with an attached commercial high school, and was able to offer unemployed adults secretarial, accounting and industrial courses. In 1984, the name was changed to Balfour Collegiate.

Black, Henry Kenneth, 1912-1993

  • Person
  • 1912-1993

Henry Kenneth (Ken) Black was born on May 19, 1912 as the first child to Henry Black (1875-1960) and Jennie Lenore Barker (1882-1950). Beginning in 1931, Black began to study architecture at the University of Toronto, where he would also played basketball and tennis. In 1934, he returned to Regina for a summer position with the architectural firm of Storey and Van Egmond. Upon his graduation from university (with a B.Arch. with Engineering option) in 1935 he moved to Swift Current where he worked as a construction engineer for the Prairie Farm Rehabilitation Administration (PFRA). Black returned to Toronto in 1937 and took a position with the firm Chapman and Oxley, and later in 1939 formed a partnership with John B. Parkin. Returning to Regina in 1941, Black enlisted in the armed forces where he served as a Base Planning Officer in Ottawa. In January 1946, he once again returned to Regina and established his own firm under the name H. K. Black Architect and Engineer, specializing in schools and hospitals. In 1957 Black formed a partnership with Harry Larson (1923-1969),and Ken McMillan (1927-2009), the firm would last until Black's retirement in 1975 at which time it became known as BLM Architects Ltd.

In addition to his architectural design activities, Black served as president of the Regina Chamber of Commerce, and on the boards of the United Appeal, Saskatchewan Roughriders, and the Regina YMCA.

Black married Rhoda Jones (1913-1986) on September 17, 1946 and together they had three children: Walter, Kenneth, and Donald. Black passed away on July 4, 1993.

Bulloch, James Scotland, 1889-1956

  • PA 54
  • Individual
  • 1889-1956

Born April 29, 1889 in Kilsyth, Scotland, James Bulloch lived in Australia and South Africa prior to emigrating to Canada in 1914. He served as a drummer boy in Scottish and Australian regiments. He served overseas with the 68th Battalion, Saskatchewan Auxiliary Territorial Service of Regina, regimental number 105079, during World War I. Upon his return to Regina in 1919, he joined the fire department.

From the early 1920s until his death on June 23, 1956, Drum Major Bulloch was instrumental in organizing and teaching the following bands: The Regina Rifles Drum Band; the Regina Boy's Pipe Band; 10th Field Ambulance; Royal Canadian Engineers; 120 Depot Training Centre; and the Saskatchewan Auxiliary Territorial Girls' Drum and Flute, the first of its kind in Canada. After World War II he formed and conducted bands for the Army Cadets and Sea Cadets. Following his retirement from the fire department he was director and Drum Major for the Wa Wa Shrine Drum Corps.

James Bulloch married Agnes Johnstone and raised three daughters. He viewed the disciplines of drums, pipes, flutes and bugles as a means of instilling patriotic duty in children and adults of all ages.

Central Collegiate (Regina, Sask.)

  • Corporate body
  • 1909-1985

Located at the corner of Scarth Street and 15th Avenue, the school opened as Regina Collegiate on November 15, 1909, becoming the first school in Regina dedicated solely to secondary education. The name was changed to Central Collegiate in 1924. The school ceased operations in June 1985, and the structure being demolished in 1994 with its front facade being repurposed for the entrance to Winston Knoll Collegiate.

Clarke, Bill, 1932-2000

  • Person
  • 1932-2000

Norman Edwin William Clarke (Bill Clarke) was born in Regina, Saskatchewan on November 25, 1932 to G. W. R. and Ruth Clarke. Clarke played professional football with the Saskatchewan Roughriders from 1951 and 1964, as an offensive and defensive tackle. After retiring from football he worked as executive director of Saskatchewan sport and recreation beginning in 1966 and later became deputy minister of the provincial Department of Culture and Recreation from 1983 to 1987. Clarke also served on the boards/committees of organizations such as the Saskatchewan Games Council, Canada Games Council, and Hockey Canada.

He was inducted into the Saskatchewan Sports Hall of Fame in 1979, Roughriders' Plaza of Honour in 1988, and the Canadian Football Hall of Fame in 1996. Clarke also received an honourary Doctorate of Law from the University of Regina in 1995.

Bill Clarke died on December 20, 2000.

Results 1 to 10 of 29