Richard Henry Williams was born on June 13, 1852 in Toronto. After leaving school, he initially worked on his family farm located in Simcoe County and then at a lumber mill. He moved west arriving in St. Boniface on April 1, 1881 and then continued to Regina by 1882. Upon his arrival, Williams worked construction, but subsequently established several business including in 1888 Glasgow House (an early department store) and in 1891 Regina Lumber and Supply Company. Williams served as mayor of Regina from 1891 to 1892 and 1909 to 1910, and he also acted as chair of the Regina General Hospital from 1915 to 1921.
R. H. Williams died in Regina on August 25, 1924.