Showing 13 results

Authority record
Montréal (Québec)

Canadian General Transit Company, Limited

  • Corporate body
  • 1932-1980

Incorporated on March 29, 1932 as a private corporation under the Canada Business Corporations Act, with a registered address in Quebec. Had operations in Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan.

Effective June 2, 1980 name changed to CGTX Inc.

Expo (International Exhibitions Bureau) (1967 : Montréal, Québec)

  • Corporate body
  • 1967

Initially the Bureau International des Expositions (BIE), at a May 5, 1960 meeting in Paris, awarded Moscow the World's Fair for 1967. However, in April 1962 when the Soviet Union scrapped plans to host the fair because of financial constraints and security concerns and after a new selection process concluded, Montreal became the new host city. Despite their own infrastructure issues and initial questions about public support and safety, Montreal's exhibition opened on time and ran from April 27 to October 29, 1967 and became (to that point) the second highest attended World's Fair. However, financial the event resulted in a deficit of over $200,000,000, shared between the federal, provincial and municipal levels of government. Even after the Expo ended, the site and most of the pavilions continued on as an exhibition called Man and His World, that would remain open during the summer months from 1968 until 1984 with some of the facilities being re-purposed when Montreal hosted the Summer Olympics in 1976.

Hayward, S. J. (Sydney Jack.), 1885-1956

  • Person
  • 1885-1956

Born in Eastbourne, Sussex, United Kingdom in 1885 to Ebenezer Hayward and Ellen Morley.

Incorporated Hayward Studios in 1919.

Married Harriet Mathewson Myles on February 24, 1917 in Montreal.

McGill University

  • Corporate body
  • 1821-

Having roots as the Royal Institution for the Advancement of Learning (RIAL) created in 1801 under an Act of the Legislative Assembly of Lower Canada (41 George III Chapter 17, An Act for the establishment of Free Schools and the Advancement of Learning in this Province), McGill University is a public university located in Montréal, Québec. McGill University was formally established March 31, 1821 with the passage of its royal charter, but was not activated until 1929 when the Montreal Medical Institution that had been founded in 1823, became the college's first academic unit and Canada's first medical school. Although it was referred to as a university during its early years, the name University of McGill College was used during the 1840s and 1860s and the name McGill College was used from the 1860s to about 1910 during the time McGill offered both high school and university courses.

Notman, William, 1826-1891

  • Person
  • 1826-1891

William Notman was born in Paisley, Scotland on March 8, 1826, the first child of William Notman and Janet Sloan. After studying art, he entered the family business of working in the wholesale woolen cloth business, first as a salesperson and later junior partner. On June 15, 1853, Notman married Alice Merry Woodwak at King’s Stanley, England, and had a daughter; the new family settled in Glasgow. However, in the mid-1850s the company’s fortunes faltered and resulted in bankruptcy, leading Notman to immigrate to Lower Canada in mid-1856. Upon arrival in Montreal, he worked at the wholesale dry goods firm Ogilvy and Lewis and he quickly earned enough money to send for his wife and child to join him in Lower Canada.

When winter slowed the dry goods business, Notman took a leave of absence, started his own photographic business on Bleury Street in Montreal, and began to take commissions. In 1858, he was commissioned by the Grand Trunk Railway to document construction of its Victoria Bridge in Montreal and his resultant work (and the subject matter) led to a growth in his reputation.
In August 1860, the Canadian government requested and Notman produced a portfolio of photographs for an album that was enclosed in a silver-mounted bird’s-eye maple box as a gift for the Prince of Wales. His photographic business tended to focus on portraiture of individuals and groups and had soon developed a positive reputation that attracted many noteworthy clients, such as Sir John A. Macdonald and Louis-Joseph Papineau. Notman was hired by athletic clubs, social gatherings, and families to create group photos; he was able to produce high quality prints of groups by photographing each person in studio, cutting the figures from the prints, and sticking them to a background. In addition, Notman accumulated a large body of images showing Canadian scenes that resulted from the work he and his photographers created when travelling across the country as they recorded the land, economic activity (such as lumbering, mining, hunting, and farming), physical features (rivers and lakes); vessels (ships, trains, carriages and carts), and communities (buildings and street scenes). Notably his studio managed to document many aspects of the construction of the Canadian Pacific Railway and other railways, including personalities and the labour involved. Notman’s photography was not focused on the upper echelon of Montreal society as he frequently photographed pedlars, newspaper carriers, woodcutters, and underprivileged citizens. His studio photographs frequently made use of props and painted backgrounds, thereby allowing him to produce a multiplicity of options for his clients. This variety in settings, the range in products (albums, stereographs), and the moderate prices he charged, ensured his photographs were attractive to a broad clientele. As well, Notman provided instruction and apprenticeship opportunities to those interested in learning about photography, resulting in a large number moving on to either becoming employees of Notman or operating their own studios.

Notman’s studio took his own talent and supplemented it with skillful photographers and painters that could deliver high quality products. In 1860, Norton hired John Arthur Fraser to set up an art department responsible for creating colour photographs, retouching negatives, and painting studio backdrops. To assist Fraser, Henry Sandham was hired, and the art department soon grew in staff and in reputation, with the photographers and painters supplemented by assistants, printing, darkroom, and finishing personnel. In 1877, possibly precipitated by a decline in economic conditions, Notman made Sandham a partner in the Montreal firm and it was renamed Notman and Sandham; however by 1882 Sandham had left to pursue a painting career in the United States.

Notman’s status allowed him to establish relationships with many of Montreal’s prominent artists. Using these relationships, in 1863 Notman published his first book, “Photographic Selections,” that contained reproductions of his studio’s own work as well as paintings by local and established artists, with the goal promoting art in Canada. Two years later Notman published a second volume, containing nature photographs and additional photographic reproductions of contemporary Canadian paintings. It was a reciprocal for while Notman was reproducing works of the painters, the painters were using Notman photographs as the inspiration for some of their own works. Notman remained active in the community of artists through support of the Art Association of Montreal (as a charter member, and serving as a councillor from 1878 to 1882); for example, he lent paintings from his private collection to association events and provided photographs as prizes. His studio was becoming a hub for the Montreal art community and a gathering point for visiting artists, and hosted numerous exhibitions. In addition to the books on works of art, from 1865 to 1868 Notman (in collaboration with John Fennings Taylor) published “Portraits of British Americans, with biographical sketches.” In 1866, he published three portfolios of photographs entitled “Cariboo hunting,” “Moose hunting,” and “Sports pastimes and pursuits in Canada.”

Notman’s early success resulted in him opening branch studios and developing partnerships with like-minded individuals. For example, in 1868, beginning with Ottawa, Notman opened a branch and installed William James Topley as the manager of its operations; later in the year, a studio was formed in Toronto (under the name Notman and Fraser) that represented a partnership with John Arthur Fraser. His partnership with Fraser ceased in 1880 when Fraser began a career in painting. Notman continued his expansion with a studio in Halifax in 1870 and then Saint John, New Brunswick in 1872. By the 1880s, Notman was associated with the operation of around twenty (20) studios, including in 1876 a partnership with Edward Wilson of Philadelphia to form the Centennial Photographic Company. This initiative was organized to take advantage of the Philadelphia Centennial Exhibition held that year, and operated with a large staff in a building located on the Exhibition’s grounds.

Outside of photography, Notman was active in real estate, was a member of the Longueuil Yacht Club, promoted rowing, and governor of the Montreal General Hospital. In addition, the family was active in St. Mark’s Church in Longueuil as attendees and Notman as a minister’s warden and provided financial support.

Notman and his wife Alice had seven children, with all three boys training and working in their father’s business.

Notman died on November 25, 1891 in Montreal.

S. J. Hayward (Firm)

  • Corporate body
  • 1919-1984

Incorporated in 1919 with owner Sidney Jack Hayward and headquarters on Saint-Jacques Street in Montreal, Quebec, the studio specialised in industrial and commercial photography in Montreal. The firm served as the official photographer for a number of organizations and businesses throughout the 1920s to the 1940s, for example Canadian Steamship Lines, Ross & MacDonald (Firm), H.L. [Harold L.] Fetherstonhaugh (Firm), Philip J. Turner (Firm), Darling & Pearson (Firm), A.T. [Alexander Tilloch] Galt Durnford (Firm), [Ernest Isbell] Barott & Blackader (Firm), Ernest Cormier (Firm), Steinberg's Ltd, and Canadian Vickers Ltd. After the death of Hayward, the company was sold to Norman Zuker and Joseph Karpowicz. In 1945, the firm was re-incorporated as Hayward Studios and operations were re-located to Dorchester Street. In 1954, the company came to be under the sole ownership of Norman Zucker. The studio ceased operations in 1984.

Results 1 to 10 of 13