Affichage de 7684 résultats

Notice d'autorité

Saskatchewan. Special Committee on the Review of the Legislative Library

  • GA 21
  • Secondary Agency
  • 1979 - 1981

The Special Committee on the Review of the Legislative Library was appointed on May 3, 1979 during the First Session of the Nineteenth Legislature. It met fourteen times, from June 9, 1979 to May 4, 1981. The Committee travelled to Toronto, Ottawa, Edmonton and Victoria to tour legislative libraries in those jurisdictions. It received six briefs and conducted six interviews with selected individuals. The Committee presented its Final Report on May 7, 1981.

Members of the Special Committee on the Review of the Legislative Library were: Hon. D McArthur, MLA (Regina Lakeview) (Chairman); R. Katzman, MLA (Rosthern) (Vice-Chairman); Hon. D. Lingenfelter, MLA (Shaunavon); Hon. R. Long, MLA (Cutkinfe-Lloydminster); Hon. G. MacMurchy, MLA (Last Mountain-Touchwood); R. Nelson, MLA (Yorkton); R. Pickering, MLA (Bengough-Milestone); B. Poniatowski, MLA (Saskatoon Eastview); G. Taylor, MLA (Indian Head-Wolseley); and C. White, MLA (Regina Wascana).

Staff members for the Committee were: Gwenn Ronyk (Secretary, May 1979 - December 1980); David Mitchell (Secretary, January 1981 - May 1981); and Carol Adams (Research Assistant).

Saskatchewan. Special Committee on Regulations

  • GA 15
  • Secondary Agency
  • 1963-2003

The Special Committee on Regulations was established in April, 1963 to review the bylaws of professional associations and to review regulations made pursuant to Acts in legislature.

The Committee was struck at the beginning of each Legislature for this purpose. Legal counsel for the Committee was provided by the Legislative Counsel and the Law Clerk, as well as by officials from the Department of Justice and others departments who appeared as witnesses before the Committee. A member of Opposition served as Chair of the Committee.

At the time these records were created, the Special Committee on Regulations was formed on June 1, 1984 during the Third Session of the Twentieth Legislature. The Committee received 19 Briefs and 14 oral presentations relating to the two White Papers it was examining. It presented its Final Report on April 11, 1985.

Members of the Special Committee on Regulations during the Third Session of the Twentieth Legislature were: Murray Koskie, MLA (Quill Lakes) (Chairman); Evelyn Bacon, MLA (Saskatoon Nutana) (Vice-Chairman); Harry Baker, MLA (Biggar); John Gerich, MLA (Redberry); Lloyd Sauder, MLA (Nipawin); Grant Schmidt, MLA (Melville); Russ Sutor, MLA (Regina North East); Fred Thompson, MLA (Athabasca); and Kim Young, MLA (Saskatoon Eastview).

Staff members were: Gwenn Ronyk (Clerk to the Committee); Lorraine Archer (Secretary); and Rose Zerr (Secretary).

In June 2003, the Special Committee on Regulations was phased out in legislative reforms recommended by the Special Committee on Rules and Procedures. At the commencement of the Twenty-fifth Legislature, the duties performed by the Special Committee on Regulations were taken over by the various Policy Field Committees under a newly-established Standing Committee structure.

Saskatchewan. Special Committee on the Ownership of Agricultural Lands

  • GA 17
  • Secondary Agency
  • 1972-1973

The Special Committee on the Ownership of Agricultural Lands was appointed on April 24, 1972 during the Second Session of the Seventeenth Legislature. It met twenty-nine times from May 6, 1972 through to March 23, 1973, and its Steering Committee met an additional six times. The Committee held thirteen public hearings throughout July and August, 1972. It also toured points in North Dakota and Colorado in July, 1972, and points in Saskatchewan in November, 1972. I t presented its Final Report on March 24, 1973.

Members of the Special Committee on the Ownership of Agricultural Lands were: John Kowalchuk, MLA (Melville) (Chairman); Tom Weatherald, MLA (Cannington) (Vice-Chairman); Irving Carlson, MLA (Yorkton); Terry Hanson, MLA (Qu'Appelle-Wolseley); Edgar Kaeding, MLA (Saltcoats); Ken MacLeod, MLA (Regina Albert Park); Frank Meakes, MLA (Touchwood); Hayden Owens, MLA (Elrose); Auburn Pepper, MLA (Weyburn); Jack Wiebe, MLA (Morse); and Hon. Ed. Tchorzewski, MLA (Humboldt) (Not active on Committee after appointment to Cabinet).

Staff members for the Committee were: Gordon L. Barnhart (Secretary); Roy A. Korpess (Research Assistant); Paul Jenson (Assistant); and Derril G. McLeod (Legal Counsel).

Saskatchewan. Select Standing Committee on Privileges and Elections

  • GA 26
  • Secondary Agency
  • 1906-2003

The Select Standing Committee on Privileges and Elections was established in March, 1906 and met at various times between 1906 and 2003 to examine matters relating to the privileges of the House or of its Members. Matters relating to elections were also brought forward to the Committee.

The Select Standing Committee on Privileges and Elections, was called upon on November 21, 1977 during the Fourth Session of the Eighteenth Legislature to examine if allegations contained in a letter written by Eric Berntson, MLA, Souris-Cannington on November 16, 1977 breached the privileges of any Member of the Legislative Assembly of Saskatchewan, and to determine if so what action should be taken thereon. It met nine times from November 23, 1977 to January 3, 1978. The Committee called seven witnesses, and five of the witnesses who appeared before the Committee were questioned under oath. The Committee presented its Report on January 3, 1978.

Members of the Select Standing Committee on Privileges and Elections were: M. Koskie, MLA (Quill Lakes) (Chairman); A. McMillan, MLA (Kindersley) (Vice-Chairman); D. Banda, MLA (Redberry); S. Cameron, MLA (Regina South); E. Cowley, MLA (Biggar); M. Feschuk, MLA (Prince Albert); R. Katzman, MLA (Rosthern); R. Larter, MLA (Estevan); G. MacMurchy, MLA (Last Mountain-Touchwood); G. MacNeill, MLA (Meadow Lake); R. Nelson, MLA (Yorkton); N. Shillington, MLA (Regina Centre); J. Skoberg, MLA (Moose Jaw North); W. Stodalka, MLA (Maple Creek); E. Tchorzewski, MLA (Humboldt); and C. Thatcher, MLA (Thunder Creek).

Staff Members for the Committee were: G. Barnhart (Clerk) and G. Roynk (Assistant Clerk).

The Committee has not been called upon since 1978. It became known as the Standing Committee on Privileges and Elections in November, 1981. Since the commencement of the Twenty-fifth Legislature in 2004, the Standing Committee on Privileges has operated as a House Committee under the Standing Committee structure.

Saskatchewan. Select Committee on Fire Prevention-Protection

  • GA 28
  • Secondary Agency
  • 1983-1984

The Select Committee on Fire Prevention-Protection was appointed on November 7, 1983 during the Second Session of the Twentieth Legislature. It met sixteen times from November 23, 1983 to March 23, 1984, including eight public hearings held in January 1984. As well, the Committee travelled to Gravenhurst and Toronto, Ontario in January 1984 to tour fire training facilities in those jurisdictions. The Committee presented its Final Report on March 23, 1984.

Members of the Select Committee on Fire Prevention-Protection were: Ralph Katzman, MLA (Rosthern) (Chairman); Allen Engel, MLA (Assiniboia-Gravelbourg) (Vice-Chairman); Michael Hopfner, MLA (Cut Knife-Lloydminster); Sherwin Petersen, MLA (Kelvington-Wadena); and Bill Sveinson, MLA (Regina North West).

Staff members for the Committee were: Louis Yanko (Technical Advisor); Les Parker (Technical Advisor); and David Mitchell (Clerk).

Saskatchewan. Standing Committee on Private Members' Bills

  • GA 34
  • Secondary Agency
  • 1903 - 2003

The Select Standing Committee on Standing Orders and Private Bills was established in April, 1903. In its early years, the Committee also functioned as the Select Standing Committee on Private Bills and Railways (1906-1917). It became known as the Select Standing Committee on Private Bills in 1918 and functioned as such until 1981. In November, 1981, the Committee's name was changed to the Standing Committee on Private Members' Bills. The Committee's function was to examine all proposed Private Bills, and Public Bills introduced by a Private Member, both prior to introduction in the Assembly and after receiving second reading in the Assembly.

The Standing Committee on Private Members' Bills was struck at the beginning of each Legislature, and lapsed upon dissolution of that Legislature. Membership was determined by a Special Nominating Committee at the beginning of each Legislature. The Committee was usually chaired by a member of Government. The ratio of party members within the committee reflected the proportion of the seats in the Assembly. Membership of the Committee consisted of between eight and ten Members.

The Committee was permitted to meet both during and in between legislative sessions. It was served by a Clerk-at-the-Table of the Legislative Assembly.

The Standing Committee on Private Members' Bills was dissolved in 2003 upon the recommendation of the Special Committee on Rules and Procedures. Since the commencement of the Twenty-fifth Legislature in 2004, the Standing Committee on Private Bills has operated as a House Committee under the Standing Committee structure.

Forest School District No. 188, 1890-1963

  • LGA 20
  • Local Government
  • 1890-1963

Around 1890, ratepayers in the Lumsden district petitioned the Board of Education for the North-West Territories to establish a school district. The first organizational meeting was held on May 5, 1890 at the James G. Mutch residence. The ratepayers in attendance were in favour of the proposed district and John Balfour, Robert Kinnon and W.C. Hamilton were elected trustees.

The Forest Public School District No. 188 was established on May 16, 1890. John Balfour and James G. Mutch were appointed chairman and secretary-treasurer respectively. The responsibilities of the district board included selecting and acquiring a school site; contracting the building of the school; furnishing and maintaining the school, school grounds, buildings and equipment; engaging qualified teachers; providing books, globes, maps and other supplies to students and teachers; administering grants; settling disputes; maintaining school records and accounts.

In June, 1890, Miss Maggie Hamilton began teaching 14 students in a local church. The board borrowed $400.00 to build a one room school, located on SE 10-19-22-W2, approximately eight miles southwest of Lumsden. The school opened on October 3, 1890 and originally operated only during certain months in the summer. The boundaries of the school district were altered on March 15, 1897 and December 10, 1904. In 1908, a new brick schoolhouse was built.

In 1949, the school closed and 10 students were conveyed to the Lumsden and Cottonwood school districts. The school reopened in August, 1950 but closed again in the fall of 1957 due to the small number of school age children in the area. On August 21, 1962, lands in the Forest School District were transferred to the Lumsden School District No. 449. The school reopened in August, 1962 and operated until June, 1964. The duties and powers of the district board were revised when the Forest School District joined the Regina School Unit No. 21 on November 20, 1963.

North-West Territories. Dept. of Agriculture. Deputy Commissioner's Office

  • GA 54
  • Secondary Agency
  • 1897-1905

On December 15, 1897, The Agriculture Department Ordinance (North-West Territories Ordinances, 1897, no. 18) received assent forming the Department of Agriculture.

On December 18, 1897, John Alexander Reid, Clerk of the Executive Council, was appointed Deputy Commissioner of Agriculture. James Hamilton Ross was Commissioner of Agriculture.

The government felt that work relating to the department could be handled by Reid in connection with his office as Clerk. In June 1898, six months later, the workload necessitated the temporary appointment of Charles Walter Peterson as a dedicated Deputy Commissioner and this position was confirmed on October 13, 1898. Peterson held the position until June 30, 1903. John Rothes Charles Honeyman took over as Deputy Commissioner on July 1, 1903 and held this post under the Territorial government until August 31, 1905 (provincial status for Saskatchewan and Alberta).

Following the creation of the provinces of Saskatchewan and Alberta in 1905, responsibility devolved to the respective provincial jurisdictions. Honeyman continued to serve as Deputy Commissioner of Agriculture under the new Saskatchewan government until December 31, 1906.

Sunderland Family, 1864-2000

  • PA 318
  • Famille
  • 1864-2000

Charles William Sunderland was born in Hereford, England on March 13, 1864 to Joseph and Susan (Pearce) Sunderland. As a young man, Charles Sunderland was a merchant seaman before immigrating to North Dakota. It was there that he met Elizabeth Victoria Stewart. Charles and Elizabeth Sunderland were married on March 1, 1893.

Between 1894 and 1903 Charles and Elizabeth Sunderland had six children: Susan, Wilfred, Lewis, Evelyn, Pearce, and Cleve. In September 1904, the family moved by train from North Dakota and settled in Tyvan, Saskatchewan. The original destination for the family was the village of Osage, however the rail line had not yet been constructed to that village. The Sunderland family first lived in a tent, and then moved into their newly constructed house in the village. Charles Sunderland was one of the first seven male settlers in Tyvan and with Elizabeth and the children, the first family to settle there. Six more children were born between 1907 and 1918: Margaret, Constance, Charles, Beatrice, Ethel and Nanton. Elizabeth Sunderland died on August 13, 1933.

Upon moving to Tyvan, Charles Sunderland built and operated a business and managed the Tyvan Lumber Company. On August 4, 1908, he was appointed Post Master for the Village of Tyvan. Along with his duties as Post Master, he was the agent for the Great West Coal Company. Daughters Susan, and later Beatrice, assisted their father in the post office. Sunderland served as Post Master until his death while at work on December 20, 1943.

Cleve Sunderland was born on June 19, 1903 and was an infant when his family settled in Tyvan. He served in the Second World War. Cleve Sunderland never married. He died on August 26, 1972.

Beatrice (Tootie) Sunderland took over as Post Mistress of the post office in Tyvan temporarily after her father's death. Tootie married Gordon William Hill of Tyvan on January 21, 1944. Tootie and Gordon Hill lived in the Tyvan area and in Regina. They had two children: Mary Elizabeth and Charles Gordon (Charlie). Tootie Hill died on September 9, 2000.

Rural Municipality of Lomond No. 37, 1911-

  • LGA 27
  • Local Government
  • 1911-

The Rural Municipality of Lomond No. 37 is a rural municipality (RM) in Saskatchewan incorporated on December 11, 1911 under The Rural Municipality Act (S.S. 1908-09, c.6). The R.M. of Lomond, located just south of the City of Weyburn, encompasses the Village of Goodwater and the Hamlet of Colgate. It serves the area located in ranges 12 to 16, west of the second meridian, townships 3 to 7. The municipality was named after Loch Lomond in Scotland.

The municipal office is located in Goodwater. The municipality is currently (2009) administered by a reeve, six councilors and an administrator, previously known as the secretary-treasurer. Their responsibilities include passing by-laws, collecting taxes, and maintaining roads and cemeteries.

Résultats 71 à 80 sur 7684