- LGA 80
- Local Government
In December, 1902, a group of resident ratepayers in the Oxbow, North-West Territories (now known as Saskatchewan) district petitioned the Commissioner of Education for the formation of a school district. A meeting to vote on the proposed district was held early in 1903. Five people were in favor; none were opposed. The Poplar School District No. 801 of the North-West Territories was erected on March 6, 1903. The school district's name was believed to be in reference to the numerous poplar trees in the area at the time.
The school district was administered by three elected trustees, one of whom served as chairman, and a secretary-treasurer. The school officials were responsible for selecting and acquiring a school site; contracting the building of the school; furnishing and maintaining the school, school grounds, buildings, and equipment; engaging qualified teachers; providing books, globes, maps and other supplies to students and teachers; administering grants; settling disputes; and maintaining school records and accounts.
In 1903, the school trustees borrowed $1000 to build and furnish a school, which was located on NE 7-2-1-W2. The first teacher was Miss Walldock. In 1945, the school district joined the Oxbow School Unit No. 1. Around 1950, the original school was sold and a small, portable school was placed on NE 8-2-1-W2. The school was closed in 1960 and students were conveyed to Oxbow and Glen Ewen. The school building was sold and turned into a private residence. On April 27, 1972, the Poplar School District No. 801 was consolidated with the Oxbow School District No. 225 and disorganized.