In 1900, Canada's High Commissioner to London, Donald Alexander Smith (Lord Strathcona and Mount Royal) offered to use his own funds to raise and equip a mounted regiment to serve in the South African or Boer War. The regiment was authorized by MO 26/1900 on February 1, 1900. In addition to recruiting from the North West Mounted Police (NWMP), recruitment centres were established in Northwest Territories (Moosomin, Regina, Prince Albert, Battleford, Calgary, Edmonton, Macleod, Pincher Creek, Lethbridge, Medicine Hat, Maple Creek), British Columbia (Fort Steele, Nelson, Golden, Revelstoke, Vernon, Kamloops, Vancouver, Victoria), and in eastern Canada. The resultant force (537 officers and men; 548 horses) embarked from Halifax on March 1900 and arrived in Cape Town, South Africa on April 10, 1900. Initially the regiment was used by the British Army as scouts, but the regiment (as part of the 3rd Mounted Brigade and 4th Infantry Brigade, II Division) would ultimately participate in a number of clashes and battles against the Boers. The regiment role in the war ended on January 20, 1901. Reports indicated the regiment served with distinction and when they arrived in London on February 14, King Edward VII presented the King's Colours to the regiment and personally awarded their service medals. On the regiment's return to Canada, despite being praised for their contributions by politicians and the public, the regiment was disbanded on March 9, 1901.