Mostrar 179 resultados

Registo de autoridade
Local Government

Liberty (Sask.), 1912-

  • LGA 28
  • Local Government
  • 1912-

The Village of Liberty is an urban municipality incorporated on January 23, 1912 under the provisions of The Village Act. The village is governed by an elected council that can hire staff to manage daily administration and maintain municipal services, such as roads, utilities and recreation facilities. The responsibilities of the council include enforcing bylaws; waste collection/landfill; fire protection; maintaining public utilities, roads and streets; issuing tax and assessment notices and collecting taxes and other fees.

The Village of Liberty is located on section 21, township 25, range 25, west of the second meridian in central Saskatchewan, 105 kilometres north of the City of Moose Jaw. Liberty is located on Highway 2 between Imperial and Penzance. It is situated in Big Arm Rural Municipality No. 251. It is believed that the name of the village was selected by a Canadian Pacific Railway surveyor in recognition of settler B.A. (Ben) Wolff, who was originally from Liberty, New York, and who had exhibited great hospitality toward the survey crew during the winter of 1906-1907.

The first village office was built in October, 1913 and served for many years as a pump house, fire hall, jail and council chambers. In 1978, the former Masonic Temple building was converted into the new village office.

The Village of Liberty has a current (2006) population of 94. Liberty's municipal officials currently include a mayor, two councillors, and an administrator, who prior to 1985 was known as the secretary-treasurer.

Eastend (Sask.), 1920-

  • LGA 31
  • Local Government
  • 1920-

Eastend is an urban municipality originally incorporated as a village on February 26, 1914. Eastend was incorporated as a town on March 15, 1920 under the provisions of The Village Act. The first municipal officials, elected on March 29, 1920, were W.T. Bickerton (overseer) and A.H. Stevens, W.P. Anderson, Ed Youngberg, W. Miller and J. Peterson (councillors).

The town is governed by an elected council that can hire staff to manage daily administration and maintain municipal services, such as roads, utilities and recreation facilities. The responsibilities of the council include enforcing bylaws; waste collection/landfill; fire protection; maintaining public utilities, roads and streets; issuing tax and assessment notices and collecting taxes and other fees.

Eastend is an agricultural based community located on section 31, township 6, range 21, west of the third meridian in southwestern Saskatchewan, about 33 kilometers southwest of the town of Shaunavon in the Frenchman River Valley. It is located on Highway 13 between Shaunavon and Robsart and situated within White Valley Rural Municipality No. 49.

The name Eastend is derived from the North West Mounted Police (NWMP) East End post established on the eastern slopes of the Cypress Hills in 1879. When the NWMP detachment moved a few years later to a site adjacent the Frenchman River (the current town site) the name remained.

The town currently (2006) covers 2.71 square kilometers and has a population of 576. The town council meets twice monthly and consists of a mayor, six councillors and an administrator.

Dundurn (Sask.), 1905-1980

  • LGA 32
  • Local Government
  • 1905-1980

The Village of Dundurn was an urban municipality incorporated on July 7, 1905 under the provisions of The Village Ordinance. The first overseer, John Burkitt, was elected on July 17, 1905. F.E. Livingstone was the first secretary-treasurer. The responsibilities of the elected council, consisting of an overseer and three councillors, included enforcing bylaws; waste collection/landfill; fire protection; maintaining public utilities, roads and streets; issuing tax and assessment notices and collecting taxes and other fees. The secretary-treasurer performed administrative duties.

The Village of Dundurn, named for Dundurn Castle in Scotland, was an agricultural based community located on section 9 in township 33, range 4, west of the third meridian in central Saskatchewan. It was situated approximately 30 kilometers southeast of the City of Saskatoon on Highway No. 11 and was situated in Dundurn Rural Municipality No. 314.

In 1979, Dundurn had a population of 409 and was governed by a mayor and three councillors. Dundurn was incorporated as a town on November 1, 1980.

Wolseley Consolidated School District No. 25, 1963-1978

  • LGA 55
  • Local Government
  • 1963-1978

Wolseley Consolidated School District No. 25 of Saskatchewan was established in 1963 pursuant to the Schools Act to administer schools around the Wolseley area. The borders of the original Wolseley School District No. 25 were expanded to make it large enough to become an independent school district.

The Board of the Wolseley Consolidated School District No. 25 was responsible for administering and managing the school district and for generally supervising and controlling each of its schools. From 1974-1993 it also functioned as part of the Qu'Appelle Valley Superintendency No.27. The Board provided buildings, equipment and supplies; hired qualified teachers; paid teachers their monthly salaries; and dealt with attendance, transportation and disciplinary issues. The Board was assisted by a secretary-treasurer, who managed the finances. The Superintendent of Schools for the School District, appointed by the Minister of Education, was responsible for the general supervision of the schools and conferred with teachers and the Board on various issues.

In 1978, the School Act was replaced by the Education Act (SS 1978 ch. 17). Wolseley Consolidated School District No. 25 became Wolseley School Division No. 25 effective January 1, 1979.

Qu'Appelle Valley Superintendency No. 27, 1974-1993?

  • LGA 58
  • Local Government
  • 1974-1993

Qu'Appelle Valley Superintendency No. 27 of Saskatchewan was created in 1974 to oversee the Grenfell Consolidated School District No. 150, Balcarres Consolidated School District No. 87, Wolseley Consolidated School District No. 25, Neudorf School District No. 392, and Lemberg School District No. 1752.

When the Education Act (SS 1978, c. 17) came into effect January 1, 1979, the Superintendency then covered Grenfell School Division No. 92, Balcarres School Division No. 87, Wolseley School Division No. 25, Valleyview School Division No. 116, Neudorf School Division No. 96, Lemberg School Division No. 106, and Peepeekisis Band No. 81.

In 1993, Scenic Valley School Division No. 117 was created encompassing the Divisions that had been Qu'Appelle Valley Superintendency No. 27, effectively replacing the Superintendency.

Marine School District No. 1997, 1908-1944

  • LGA 14
  • Local Government
  • 1908-1944

On January 8, 1908, ratepayers in the Torquay, Saskatchewan district petitioned the Department of Education for the formation of a school district. After the department revised the proposed boundaries, a second petition was filed on January 29, 1908. Departmental approval was granted and the first organizational meeting was held on February 25, 1908. Thirteen ratepayers voted in favor of the formation of the district; 6 ratepayers were against it. John A. Meyer, James L. Salmond and M. Pappenfus were elected trustees.

The Marine School District No. 1997 was established on March 9, 1908. The responsibilities of the district board included selecting and acquiring a school site and contracting the building of a school house; furnishing and maintaining the school, school grounds, buildings and equipment; engaging qualified teachers; providing books, globes, maps, and other supplies to teachers and students; administering grants; settling disputes; maintaining school records and accounts.

A one room school, located on NE 35-2-12-W2, was opened in 1909 with Miss McLaughlin as the first teacher. On November 15, 1944 the duties and powers of the district board were revised when the Marine School District joined the Estevan School Unit No. 2. In 1953 the school was closed and the students conveyed to Torquay.

Green Mount School District No. 1702, 1906-1944

  • LGA 19
  • Local Government
  • 1906-1944

On November 1, 1906, ratepayers in the Torquay, Saskatchewan area petitioned the Department of Education for the formation of a school district. Departmental approval was granted and the first organizational meeting was held on December 8, 1906. Seven ratepayers voted in favor of establishing a school district and C. H. Johnston, John Johnson and John Mosser were elected trustees. The Green Mount School District No. 1702 was established on December 28, 1906.

The responsibilities of the district board included selecting and acquiring a school site; contracting the building of the school; furnishing and maintaining the school, school grounds, buildings and equipment; engaging qualified teachers; providing books, globes, maps and other supplies to students and teachers; administering grants; settling disputes; maintaining school records and accounts.

The one room schoolhouse, located on SE 24-1-13-W2, opened in August, 1907 with Miss Emma Johnston as teacher. After many ratepayers argued that the school was not situated in a central location, a new school was built on SW 13-1-13-W2 in 1917. The duties and powers of the district board were revised when Green Mount School District joined the Radville School Unit No. 3 on November 21, 1944. The school closed in the fall of 1958 and the students were conveyed to school in Oungre.

North Battleford Water Inquiry, 2001-2002

  • LGA 23
  • Local Government
  • 2001-2002

The North Battleford Water Inquiry was an independent commission ordered by the Government of Saskatchewan on May 10, 2001 pursuant to Order-in-Council 357/2001. The public inquiry was ordered following an outbreak of gastrointestinal illness in March and April, 2001. Approximately 5800 to 7100 people in the Battlefords, Saskatchewan area became ill after consuming water infected with the parasite cryptosporidium parvum.

The Commission's mandate was to inquire into, make recommendations and report on: the circumstances that led to the cryptosporidium outbreak in North Battleford; the adequacy and effectiveness of the actions taken by the provincial government, the Battlefords District Health Board, and the City of North Battleford leading up to and in response to the outbreak; the effect, if any, of the regulations, bylaws, policies, guidelines, procedures and practices of the above named parties on the outbreak; any other relevant matters the Commission considered necessary to determine the future safety of North Battleford's public drinking water.

The Honourable Mr. Justice Robert D. Laing was appointed Commissioner on May 10, 2001. The Commission consisted of James Russell (Counsel); Christopher Boychuk and Blair Bleakney (Assistant Counsel); Warren Bickford (Executive Director); Norman Doell (Registrar) and two administrative staff.

Applications for funding and standing were heard on June 26, 2001. The public hearings were held at the Tropical Inn in North Battleford from September 17 to December 6, 2001, with final arguments heard on January 14 and 15, 2002.

The Commission's final report, Report of the Commission of Inquiry into Matters Relating to the Safety of the Public Drinking Water in the City of North Battleford, Saskatchewan, was submitted to the Minister of Justice on March 28, 2002 and released to the public April 5, 2002. The Report's 28 recommendations focused on regulatory improvements at Saskatchewan Environment, Saskatchewan Health and health districts; increased plant inspection; improved training for operators; and improvement in water management in North Battleford. The Saskatchewan Government accepted all recommendations and vowed to improve the province's water quality.

Resultados 61 a 70 de 179