Affichage de 7737 résultats

Notice d'autorité

Friel, George, 1919-1978

  • PA 311
  • Personne
  • 1919-1978

George Henry Oscar (Joe) Friel was born on May 21, 1919 in Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan to Charles and Mabel (Prizeman) Friel. He attended elementary and high school in Moose Jaw and completed his studies in 1939. Friel worked for the Security Lumber Company in 1939 as a Second Man in the Company's Avonlea lumber yard, and in 1940 as a Stock Checker in its Moose Jaw lumber yard. During this time, he also studied to be a Wireless Operator.

Friel voluntarily enlisted in the Royal Canadian Air Force on September 2, 1940. He received training in Manitoba and Nova Scotia and graduated from flight school, receiving his “wings”, in 1941. Friel entered the Royal Air Force's Trainees' Pool in February, 1942. After further training in England and West Africa, Friel was posted to Karachi, Peshawar in India in September, 1942. Friel's duties in South Asia included the delivery of supplies by air to land soldiers posted in India and Burma. He was a member of Royal Air Force Squadron 194 and, as a Flight Sergeant, captained a Hudson aircraft. The climate and conditions of South Asia were unkind to Friel as he suffered from malaria followed by anemia in October, 1942 and frequent bouts of bronchitis in 1942 and 1943. Still, he endured and logged over seven hundred flight hours as part of Squadron 194.

Increasing health concerns related to bouts with asthma led to Friel's repatriation to Canada. After a brief stay in England, Friel was repatriated to Rockliffe, Ontario in July, 1944 for assessment, and then posted to Comox, British Columbia in September, 1944. Friel served as an instructor and test pilot for the remainder of his military service and was honourably released as a Flying Officer on October 25, 1945. Joe Friel received the 1939-45 Star, the Burma Star, and the Canadian Service Medal with Clasp and War Medal 1939-45 in honour of his service during the Second World War.

Joe Friel married Shirley Marguerite (Parsons) on June 14, 1945 in Comox, British Columbia. They spent much of their married life in Moose Jaw, raising four children: Joanne, Dawn, Jon and Mark. Joe Friel was employed by the Crown Lumber Company Ltd., in Moose Jaw for over twenty years. He was promoted to District Manager for the parent company, Crown Zellerbach's Southern Saskatchewan Division. After employment by Crown Zellerbach, Friel earned a Bachelor of Arts degree in Administration from the University of Saskatchewan, Regina Campus. He became an instructor of Administration - Retailing at the Saskatchewan Technical Institute in Moose Jaw in 1970 and was employed in this position until his death. Joe Friel died on June 18, 1978 in Moose Jaw.

Gay/Lesbian Community Centre of Saskatoon Inc., 1972-1985

  • PA 280
  • Collectivité
  • 1972-1985

The Zodiac Friendship Society was a non-profit agency in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan incorporated on March 7, 1972. It operated as an umbrella organization devoted to gay political issues, education, counselling and support groups. The Society's social club, known as the Gemini Club, hosted weekly dances. The money generated at the dances was used to establish a gay community centre in downtown Saskatoon in March, 1973.

The mandate of the Zodiac Friendship Society was to promote educational, cultural, athletic and community activities for the homosexual community; to utilize all available club and private facilities for these activities; to promote and provide educational, recreational and athletic facilities for the use and benefit of the members and of the community at large; to take an active interest in the civic, commercial, social and moral welfare of the community at large; to unite members through the bonds of friendship, fellowship and mutual understanding; and to provide a forum and facilities for full and free discussions of all matters of public interest.

On January 1, 1975, the Zodiac Friendship Society was renamed the Gay/Lesbian Community Centre of Saskatoon. The Centre provided educational, cultural and social activities; provided counseling and aid services; provided a voice for the gay community in society at large; and worked for social change.

The Centre ceased operation in 1984 and was dissolved on November 29, 1985.

Sunderland Family, 1864-2000

  • PA 318
  • Famille
  • 1864-2000

Charles William Sunderland was born in Hereford, England on March 13, 1864 to Joseph and Susan (Pearce) Sunderland. As a young man, Charles Sunderland was a merchant seaman before immigrating to North Dakota. It was there that he met Elizabeth Victoria Stewart. Charles and Elizabeth Sunderland were married on March 1, 1893.

Between 1894 and 1903 Charles and Elizabeth Sunderland had six children: Susan, Wilfred, Lewis, Evelyn, Pearce, and Cleve. In September 1904, the family moved by train from North Dakota and settled in Tyvan, Saskatchewan. The original destination for the family was the village of Osage, however the rail line had not yet been constructed to that village. The Sunderland family first lived in a tent, and then moved into their newly constructed house in the village. Charles Sunderland was one of the first seven male settlers in Tyvan and with Elizabeth and the children, the first family to settle there. Six more children were born between 1907 and 1918: Margaret, Constance, Charles, Beatrice, Ethel and Nanton. Elizabeth Sunderland died on August 13, 1933.

Upon moving to Tyvan, Charles Sunderland built and operated a business and managed the Tyvan Lumber Company. On August 4, 1908, he was appointed Post Master for the Village of Tyvan. Along with his duties as Post Master, he was the agent for the Great West Coal Company. Daughters Susan, and later Beatrice, assisted their father in the post office. Sunderland served as Post Master until his death while at work on December 20, 1943.

Cleve Sunderland was born on June 19, 1903 and was an infant when his family settled in Tyvan. He served in the Second World War. Cleve Sunderland never married. He died on August 26, 1972.

Beatrice (Tootie) Sunderland took over as Post Mistress of the post office in Tyvan temporarily after her father's death. Tootie married Gordon William Hill of Tyvan on January 21, 1944. Tootie and Gordon Hill lived in the Tyvan area and in Regina. They had two children: Mary Elizabeth and Charles Gordon (Charlie). Tootie Hill died on September 9, 2000.

Anderson, Palma, 1931-1994

  • PA 319
  • Personne
  • 1931-1994

Palma Annette Anderson was born on October 15, 1931 near Bulyea, Saskatchewan to Olaf and Caroline Anderson. She attended the Provincial Normal School at Moose Jaw in 1949 and 1950, and later earned a Bachelor's degree in Education from the University of Saskatchewan. Anderson taught at Saskatoon, Moose Jaw and Regina during her career that spanned twenty-three years.

Palma Anderson was actively involved in issues related to women's rights. In the 1970s, she joined the Regina Status of Women and soon became its president. Throughout the 1980s, she was president of the Saskatchewan Action Committee, Status of Women (SAC) which lobbied for improvements to minimum wage, pension reform, child care, and women's health rights. From 1986 to 1988, she was the Saskatchewan representative on the executive of the National Action Committee on the Status of Women, serving on a variety of sub-committees. Anderson was a founding member of the Saskatchewan Battered Women's Advocacy Network.

As a member of the Regina Public School Teachers Association, she lobbied on such issues as professional development, affirmative action, sexual harassment, maternity leave, and pensions.

Upon her retirement from teaching, Palma Anderson addressed issues of seniors' education and welfare through her activities in the Regina Council on Aging, the Saskatchewan Senior Citizens Provincial Council, the Saskatchewan Seniors Mechanism, and the Regina Chapter of the Superannuated Teachers of Saskatchewan.

Anderson volunteered for the New Democratic Party on various committees and election campaign teams at the provincial and federal levels. She also briefly volunteered with the Canadian Red Cross Society.

Anderson received the John Stratychuk Memorial Award from the Saskatchewan Human Rights Association and the Soroptimist International of Regina 1988 Woman of Distinction Award in recognition of her outstanding contributions in the field of human rights. She was also honoured with the Regina Y.W.C.A. Award of Merit for her community involvement, and a Vital Link award from the City of Regina in 1993 for her work with the Regina Council on Aging.

Palma Anderson married Dave Treherne in the 1950s; they divorced in the late 1970s. They had three children: Kathy, Karen and Chris. Palma Anderson died in Regina on September 26, 1994.

Saskatchewan Publishers Group, 1988-

  • PA 307
  • Collectivité
  • 1988-

Professional publishers in Saskatchewan organized informally in the early 1980s as a mechanism to collaborate on promotional activities. This collaboration appears to have been ad hoc in nature involving occasional association with the Prairie Publishers Group which represented publishers from the three prairie provinces. The first step toward the formation of the Saskatchewan Publishers Group appears to have taken place in March, 1986 with the opening of a bank account in the Group's name.

Professional publishers in Saskatchewan organized informally in the early 1980s as a mechanism to collaborate on promotional activities. This collaboration appears to have been ad hoc in nature involving occasional association with the Prairie Publishers Group which represented publishers from the three prairie provinces. The first step toward the formation of the Saskatchewan Publishers Group appears to have taken place in March, 1986 with the opening of a bank account in the Group's name.

Programs and projects of the Saskatchewan Publishers Group have included Prairie Books from Home, the launch of Prairie Books Now, outreach projects and a travelling book display. The Saskatchewan Publishers Group has also assisted in the development of the Saskatchewan Book Awards and the Prairie Festival of Books in the early 1990s and in lobbying against the provincial government's proposed tax on reading materials in 1991.

Past Executive Directors and Co-Executive Directors of the Saskatchewan Publishers Group have been Archie Crail (1990), Heather Wood (1990-1993), Barbara Kahan (1992-1996), and Rachael Van Fossen (1996-1998).
Currently (2005) the Executive Director of the Saskatchewan Publishers Group is Brenda Niskala, who has held the position since 1993. The Saskatchewan Publishers Group has fifteen full members, eight associate members, and thirty-four supporting members.

Hardy, Neal, 1934-

  • PA 331
  • Personne
  • 1934-

Neal Herbert Hardy was born in on September 21, 1934 in Hudson Bay, Saskatchewan to George and Clara Robinson. He received his primary and secondary education in Hudson Bay. Hardy worked for the Canadian National Railway as a yardman, yardmaster and foreman from 1953 to 1970. He also owned and operated a farm and several businesses, including a tire shop, hardware store, service stations and a grocery store. From 1976 to 1982, he was the Reeve of the Rural Municipality of Hudson Bay No. 394. Hardy was also President of the Hudson Bay Chamber of Commerce, Chairman of the Hudson Bay Rural Development Corporation, and a member of the Elks Lodge.

Hardy was first elected to the Saskatchewan Legislature on November 26, 1980 and served as a Progressive Conservative MLA for the Kelsey-Tisdale constituency until 1991. Hardy served in the Grant Devine Government as Minister of the Environment (1982-1985); Minister of Parks and Renewable Resources (1983); Minister of Co-operation and Co-operative Development (1985-1986) and Minister of Rural Development (1985-1991).

Hardy was also Minister Responsible for Saskatchewan Housing Corporation (1982-1989); Saskatchewan Forest Products Corporation (1982-1985); Saskatchewan Water Supply Board (1982-1983); Water Appeal Board (1984-1985); Board of Examiners (1985-1991); Municipal Employees Superannuation Commission (1985-1987); Saskatchewan Water Corporation (1986-1991); Legislative Review Committee (1986-1989); Saskatchewan Crop Insurance Corporation (1986-1991); Saskatchewan Lands Appeal Board (1988-1991) and Order in Council Review Committee (1989-1991).

Hardy lost his seat in the 1991 provincial general election to Andy Renaud (NDP). In 1995, Hardy returned to the Hudson Bay Rural Municipality No. 394 as a councillor and served as Vice-President of the Saskatchewan Association of Rural Municipalities (SARM) from 1995 to 2002.

Hardy currently (2006) resides in Hudson Bay. He is President of SARM and continues to serve as councillor for Hudson Bay R.M.

Neal Hardy married Darlene Rose Lundy on December 19, 1954. They have four children: Mervin, Lynda, Donald, and Donna.

STC Inquiry, 1990

  • LGA 25
  • Public Inquiry
  • 1990

The Commission of Inquiry into the Saskatchewan Transportation Company (STC) was ordered by Gary Lane, Minister of Saskatchewan Justice, on March 20, 1990 pursuant to the Public Inquiries Act and Order-in-Council 267/90. The Honorable Russell L. Brownridge, former Justice of the Saskatchewan Court of Queen's Bench and Court of Appeal, was appointed Commissioner on March 20, 1990. Gary Semenchuck was named Inquiry counsel.

The original mandate of the STC Inquiry was to inquire into and report on allegations that officers of STC obtained money improperly in connection with the purchase of motor coaches by STC from Eagle Bus Manufacturing Inc; to examine allegations that money obtained from the purchase of motor coaches by STC from Eagle was to be used for political purposes in Canada; to examine purchasing practices at STC, particularly with Eagle; and to examine accounting methods used by STC, with emphasis on transactions with Eagle.

On July 20, 1990, the Inquiry's mandate was expanded to include an examination of management systems and procedures at STC with particular reference to major expenditures for construction or renovation of facilities, expenses incurred by senior management and the use of corporate credit cards by senior management.

Public hearings were scheduled to begin on September 10, 1990 in Regina, Saskatchewan but were adjourned when lawyers for former STC president Donald Castle and STC vice-president Darrell Lowry launched a court action challenging the jurisdiction of the Inquiry in August. On September 15, 1990, Court of Queen's Bench Justice William Matheson quashed the Inquiry, declaring it unconstitutional.

Although Justice Minister Lane said the Province would likely appeal the decision, an appeal was not filed and the STC Inquiry never resumed activity.

Regina Boat Club, 1907-1962

  • PA 335
  • Collectivité
  • 1907-1962

The Regina Boat Club was established in 1907 in Regina, Saskatchewan as a private boating and yachting club for men. The first meeting was held on June 15, 1907 at City Hall. Charles E. Wood chaired the meeting and A.C. Barrett served as secretary. On June 20, a second meeting was held to determine entrance fees, membership dues, and classes of membership. Club officers were selected, including two patrons (the Lieutenant Governor and Premier of Saskatchewan); a honourary president (F.W.G. Haultain); a president (Charles E. Wood); a vice-president (J.A. Wetmore); a secretary-treasurer (F.G. Wheat); and a committee of five. The committee was responsible for the general management of the Club's social and financial affairs and for enforcing the by-laws and house rules.

Initial plans for a boathouse and clubhouse were drawn up by E.N. Storey, a Regina architect. In 1908, the City of Regina funded the construction of a diving platform and the driving of piles to support a clubhouse. In 1909, a clubhouse was built on the north side of Wascana Lake.

By 1910, membership in the Regina Boat Club had grown to 186 and rowing had been introduced. The Club held its first annual Dominion Day Regatta on July 1, 1910. Events included canoe races, four-oared shells, motor boat races, skiff races, ladies' sculling, swimming, diving and lifesaving competitions.

On June 30, 1912, a tornado (the Regina Cyclone) destroyed the clubhouse and the majority of the Club's equipment. After this disaster, the clubhouse was rebuilt on the southeast corner of Wascana Park and a boathouse was built. The Regina Boat Club was incorporated on August 23, 1912 whereupon it became a general aquatic club.

During the First World War, the Club lost many members but strived to remain active. Following the War, the Club tried to expand its appeal by purchasing workboats and four-oared shells to supplement its existing canoes and sailboats.

In 1924, the Club began to allow women's rowing. From 1931 to 1932, the Club's activities were interrupted when Wascana Lake was drained in August 1930 for the construction of the Albert Street Bridge and Willow and Goose Islands. The Club re-commenced activity in 1933 with more than 200 members and saw the publication of its first official newsletter, The Water Log.

The Club was inactive during the Second World War as most of its male members had enlisted for service. In 1947, the Club moved into a new two-storey clubhouse on Willow Island made from surplus army huts. In 1949, the Regina Boat Club hosted its first North Western International Rowing Association Regatta at Regina Beach. The Club experienced continued growth throughout the 1950s, reaching its largest membership of more than 400 in 1959.

In 1962, the Regina Boat Club disbanded after weed-growth prevented the operation of boats on Wascana Lake. The Club's home on the north island was ceded to the Wascana Centre Authority for development and was demolished in 1964. In August 1971, the Wascana Centre Authority erected a stone cairn commemorating the Regina Boat Club near the original clubhouse location on the north shore of Wascana Lake.

In 1974 the Regina Boat Club was reorganized into the Regina Rowing Club in anticipation of the 1975 Western Canada Summer Games, held in Regina.

Freemasons. N.W.M.P. Lodge No. 11 (Regina, Sk.), 1894-

  • PA 302
  • Collectivité
  • 1894-

Wascana Lodge No. 2 of Ancient, Free and Accepted Masons, a fraternal organization, was in existence in Regina, North-West Territories. In 1894, officers of the North-West Mounted Police (N.W.M.P.) that were members of Wascana Lodge No. 2 met to discuss the formation of a Masonic Lodge strictly for N.W.M.P. members on July 6, 1894. By October 1, 1894, N.W.M.P. Lodge No. 61 was instituted in Regina with Bro. Robert Belcher as its first Worshipful Master. A Lodge room was organized and furnished on the N.W.M.P. barracks. The N.W.M.P. Lodge No. 61 received its Charter on September 5, 1895.

With membership solely drawn from officers of the N.W.M.P., Lodge support and activity fluctuated with officers' calls of duty. Membership in the Lodge grew steadily until 1897 when officers were called away for patrol duty in the bustling Klondike region. The Boer War also called members away from the Lodge to serve in South Africa. Membership numbers gradually rebounded for a brief period between 1901 and 1903 before members were again posted away from Regina to patrol the vast prairie during the pioneer settlement. The dispersal of officers involved in the Lodge was so significant that activity in the Lodge was dormant from March 1904 until April 1906.

A motion was passed at a Lodge meeting of April 27, 1906 to surrender the Charter and disburse Lodge furniture and monies, putting the Lodge in jeopardy of folding completely; however, this motion was cancelled at the May 16, 1906 meeting. On August 9, 1906, N.W.M.P. Lodge No. 11 was initiated and chartered. The newly renamed Lodge moved from the N.W.M.P. barracks to the Masonic Lodge on Scarth Street and began accepting civilian members. Soon, membership grew from sixteen to fifty members. Worshipful Brother E.J. Wright was elected the Lodge's first civilian Worshipful Master in 1907.

N.W.M.P. Lodge No. 11, along with the other five Masonic Lodges in Regina, proposed the construction of a new Masonic Temple in 1923. The architect for the new Temple was Frank H. Portnall, a member of N.W.M.P. Lodge No. 11. The first meeting held by N.W.M.P. Lodge No. 11 in the new Temple was on November 16, 1926.

Special events organized by N.W.M.P. Lodge No. 11 include “Police Night” first organized by Worshipful Master Bro. R.A. Tate in 1928. This event became an annual tradition for the Lodge, as did annual “Father and Son” evenings. Celebrations were held to mark the Lodge's 50th and 100th anniversaries in 1944 and 1994, respectively. As well, the Lodge has marked important milestones in the history of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police.

In 1959, Regina Lodge No. 211 was formed from members of N.W.M.P. Lodge No. 11. Regina Lodge No. 211 existed until 1995 when it amalgamated back with N.W.M.P. Lodge No. 11.

N.W.M.P. Lodge No. 11 continues (2005) to hold meetings on the third Tuesday of each month at the Masonic Temple, 1930 Lorne Street, Regina.

Campbell, E. M. (Ted), 1909-1994

  • PA 364
  • Personne
  • 1909-1994

Edward McAlpine Campbell was born on January 15, 1909 in Tessier, Saskatchewan. He earned a Bachelor of Science degree in Agriculture from the University of Saskatchewan in 1940.

Campbell worked for the provincial Department of Agriculture in Regina for 31 years, first as assistant poultry commissioner (1943-1958) and later as poultry commissioner (1958-1974). He retired in 1974. During his career, Campbell was involved in various agricultural organizations, including the Saskatchewan Poultry Association, the Saskatchewan Turkey Association, the Saskatchewan Poultry Board, the Agricultural Institute of Canada, and the Saskatchewan Institute of Agrology. He was inducted into the Saskatchewan Agricultural Hall of Fame in Saskatoon in 1973.
Campbell died in Victoria, British Columbia, on July 18, 1994.

Résultats 61 à 70 sur 7737