Affichage de 6931 résultats

Notice d'autorité

Saskatoon Heritage Society, 1978-

  • PA 157
  • Corporate
  • 1978-

On June 10, 1976, a group of approximately forty people met in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan to establish the Saskatoon Heritage Society. A formal constitution was adopted on October 21, 1976. The Society was incorporated as a non-profit charitable corporation on April 24, 1978. The objectives of the Saskatoon Heritage Society are to preserve the buildings, neighbourhoods, and sites in Saskatoon which are of historic or aesthetic value and to encourage interest in the region's historic heritage. The Society advocates for heritage issues; acts as a forum for heritage concerns; produces a quarterly newsletter (the Gargoyle) and annual journal (The Saskatoon History Review); provides tour guides for historical walks; and organizes public lectures and workshops on heritage topics.

The first executive of the Society consisted of a president (Don Kerr); a vice-president (John Duerkopp); a treasurer (Ruth Robinson) and nine directors. The current (2010) executive consists of directors; a president; a past president; a vice-president; a treasurer; and a secretary. The Society currently meets on the fourth Thursday of each month. Categories of memberships offered are: senior citizen; student; individual; family and corporate.

Rural Municipality of Swift Current No. 137, 1910-

  • LGA 85
  • Local Government
  • 1910-

The Rural Municipality of Swift Current No. 137 of Saskatchewan was incorporated on December 12, 1910 pursuant to the Rural Municipalities Act (S.S. 1908-09, c. 6). The first municipal officials elected were Cy Newell (Reeve), James Wallace, C. Stevens, W. Burnett, E.H. Dart, H. Davison, and C.H. Carefoot (Councillors). The municipality is located in southwest Saskatchewan and encompasses the area located in ranges 13, 14, and 15 and townships 13, 14, 15, and 16, west of the third meridian. The municipal office is located in the city of Swift Current.

The municipality is currently (2010) governed by an elected council comprised of a reeve and six councillors. All decisions are made by resolution or by-law. Council is assisted by an administrator, who manages the daily operations, and other staff required to maintain municipal services, such as roads, utilities and recreational facilities.

John A. Valens Family, 1873-1983

  • PA 173
  • Famille
  • 1873-1983

John Alexander Valens was born on September 4, 1873 near Lucknow, Ontario to William and Katherine (nee Walker) Valens. He was raised on a farm in Kinloss Township, Ontario. Valens remained on the family farm until the age of 18, when he left to pursue further education. He received a high school certificate in 1892, and went on to attend Model School in Kincardine. He returned to teach at his home school for several years. In 1895, he contracted asthma and left his teaching position to travel west to the Brandon, Manitoba area. There, he worked his way through medical school by teaching in several rural schools, working as a hand on local farms, and studying Latin and Greek at the collegiate in Brandon. He graduated from Manitoba Medical College in 1905.

John A. Valens practiced medicine in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan from 1906 until his retirement in 1946. He served as president of the Saskatchewan division of the Canadian Medical Association (1919-1920); as chief lecturer for the St. John's Ambulance Association; as director of the Saskatoon Cancer Clinic (1936-1944) and as the president of the council of the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Saskatchewan (1933-1944). Valens married Lizzie Adams of Estevan, Saskatchewan in 1907. The Valens had two children: Corneil, born in 1908, and John Douglas. Lizzie Valens died in October 1918. John Douglas Valens died in an automobile accident while attending a medical conference in Idaho in 1953. Corneil married Ben Chappell and resided in Saskatoon and Winnipeg.

John A. Valens married Edna Catharine Peacock (born Aug 29,1896) in 1920. The daughter of James and Rebecca Jane (Freeland) Peacock, Edna grew up in North Cypress, Manitoba. The Valens were involved in various Saskatoon community organizations, including the Young Men's Christian Association (YMCA) and St. John's Ambulance, and were members of the Liberal Party of Saskatchewan. John A. Valens contested the Saskatoon City constituency in the 1921 provincial election, but was defeated. The Valens attended Knox United Church, Saskatoon, where Dr. Valens was an ordained elder.

John A. Valens was awarded an honorary life membership with the YWCA in 1949, and he served on the Canadian Medical Association Committee on Archives. He researched and authored a manuscript on the early history of medicine on the prairies during his retirement years. He died in Saskatoon on June 28, 1955. Valens Park, in Saskatoon, and Valens Lake (north-east of Uranium City) were named after him. Edna Valens died in 1983. John and Edna Valens are buried at Woodlawn Cemetery in Saskatoon.

Herbster, Otto William, 1898-1986

  • PA 451
  • Individual
  • 1898-1986

Otto William Herbster was born on February 27, 1898 in Stetten, West Germany to Rudolph and Emma (Ging) Herbster. After completing high school, he trained as a blacksmith and machinist in Germany. In 1921, Herbster married Anne Hauser. They had three children: Kurt; Annaliese and Elfrida. In October 1927, Herbster immigrated with his wife and son to Canada, where they settled on a farm in the Baynes, Saskatchewan district. Several years later, the family moved from the farm to seven acres of land near Whitewood.

In 1933, Herbster started a well digging business and dug hundreds of wells in and around Whitewood. After Anne Herbster's death in 1938, Herbster married his second wife, Sophie Mueller, on November 2, 1940, in Winnipeg, Manitoba. Otto and Sophie Herbster established a pig farming operation on their farm, Hurricane Hill Top Farm, where they resided until 1979, when they sold their farm and moved into Whitewood. Otto Herbster died in Whitewood on May 16, 1986.

George B.C. Sharpe Family, 1864-1975

  • PA 455
  • Famille
  • 1864-1975

George Benjamin Cubitt Sharpe was born in Ashmanhaugh, Norfolk, England on May 16, 1864 to Benjamin George and Naomi (Cooke) Sharpe. He had eight sisters and three brothers. Sharpe immigrated to Canada in 1886 and applied for a homestead on NE 20-17-25-W2, near Moose Jaw, North-West Territories (now known as Saskatchewan) on December 14, 1888. He was declared the legal owner of the land in 1893. Sharpe later moved into Moose Jaw, where he worked in various occupations, including as partner in a lumber business. Active in the local community, Sharpe served as a municipal official, was involved with the Methodist Church and was a member of the Masonic Lodge No. 3, A.F. and A.M. and Independent Order of Foresters. Sharpe died in Vancouver, British Columbia on April 30, 1949.

Georgina Reynolds was born in Ontario on August 31, 1861. She married George B.C. Sharpe in Moose Jaw on December 31, 1888. The Sharpes had two children: Ernest Wesley Cubitt (born March 1, 1891) and Walter (1894-1901). Georgina Sharpe died in Markham, Ontario on October 12, 1945. Ernest W.C. Sharpe, often referred to as Cubitt, practiced law in Vancouver. He died on December 9, 1975. He and his wife, C. Jane Devitt, did not have any children.

Clipsham, Muriel Jane, 1908-1998

  • PA 456
  • Individual
  • 1908-1998

Muriel Jane Clipsham (nee Greene) was born in 1908 in Arnprior, Ontario. She was raised in Ontario and on a farm in the Drumheller, Alberta district. Clipsham obtained her teaching certificate at North Bay Normal School in 1926, after which she taught at rural schools in Alberta. She then studied home economics at Macdonald Institute in Guelph, Ontario. She and her husband, William Baldwin Clipsham, resided in Toronto, Ontario from 1934 to 1948, when they moved to Regina, Saskatchewan. During her residence in Regina, Clipsham was very active in the local community and was involved with numerous organizations, including the Saskatchewan History and Folklore Society; the Seniors' Education Centre; and the Young Women's Christian Association (YWCA). Interested in Native peoples, Clipsham helped establish the Indian and Métis Friendship Centre in Regina. In 1983, Clipsham moved to Ottawa, Ontario, where she resided until her death on October 27, 1998. She was buried in Bethel Cemetery in Gravenhurst, Ontario.

Muriel and William Baldwin Clipsham had four children: Jane; David; Fred and Bill.

Luke Battersby Family, 1853-1980

  • PA 457
  • Famille
  • 1853-1980

Luke Battersby was born in England in 1853. He immigrated from Yorkshire, England to Canada around 1883 and settled in the Pheasant Forks-Duff, North-West Territories (now known as Saskatchewan) district. Around 1895, Battersby moved to the Goodeve, North-West Territories district, where he established a mixed farming and livestock operation. He was one of the first homesteaders in the Goodeve district. Battersby continued to reside in the Goodeve district until his death on April 17, 1945. He was buried in Fenwood Community Cemetery.

Luke Battersby and his wife, Isabel, had eight children: Alice; John; James; Ruth; Fanny; Robert; Thomas and Evelyn. All of the children were born in the North-West Territories (Saskatchewan). Alice, Evelyn, James, John, Robert and Thomas Battersby never married. They all were partners in Battersby Farms. Fanny was born in 1885 and married Robert Franklin on June 6, 1912 in Goodeve. The Franklins resided in the Fenwood district. Ruth, born on September 1, 1894, married Robert Johnson on December 16, 1925. The Johnsons resided on a farm in the Hubbard district and had six children: Harry, Ethel, Mae, Jane, Lucy and Alice. Isabel Battersby died in 1941 and was buried in Fenwood Community Cemetery.

The birth and death dates of five of the Battersby children are as follows: John Battersby (April 4, 1892 - June 5, 1973); Alice Battersby (March 18, 1884 - 1966); Evelyn Battersby (September 2, 1887 - March 23, 1971); James Battersby (October 21, 1899 - 1969); and Robert Battersby (August 29, 1889 - March 25, 1971).

Thomas Battersby was born on January 21, 1897 in Goodeve. He served in World War 1 and farmed in the Goodeve area until his retirement in 1973. In 1974, he donated land in the Goodeve area to the Government of Saskatchewan for a wildlife sanctuary called the Thomas Battersby Wildlife Protected Area. Battersby was a member of the Melville Branch of the Royal Canadian Legion. He died in Melville on June 29, 1980 and was buried in Melville City Cemetery.

Rocanville (Sask.), 1967-

  • LGA 88
  • Local Government
  • 1967-

The Town of Rocanville is an urban municipality in south east Saskatchewan. Rocanville was a village from March 24, 1904 until August 1, 1967, when it was proclaimed a town. Rocanville is an agricultural and mining based community located 21 kilometres from the Manitoba border and 15 kilometres from the Qu'Appelle Valley. Its geographical location is 21-16-31-W1. The town is believed to have been named after Rocan de Bastien, postmaster of the Village of Rocanville in 1904. Located in the Rural Municipality of Rocanville No. 151, the town serves as the administrative centre for the rural municipality.

The town is governed by a council consisting of a mayor and councillors, each elected for a three year term. Council makes decisions and exercises its power through the passage of bylaws and resolutions. Councils aims to provide good government; to provide necessary services and facilities for all or part of the town; to develop and maintain a safe and viable community and foster economic, social and environmental well-being. Council is responsible for providing an array of services within the boundaries of the town, including police and fire services; water and sewage treatment services; and library, recreation and cultural facilities. Council is responsible for regulating wild and domestic animals; streets and roads; businesses and business activities; and buildings and other structures. The town receives funding through property taxes, service user fees, license fees and grants from the provincial and federal governments. Council is responsible for hiring an administrator and other employees to manage the daily operations of the town.

The Town of Rocanville is currently (2010) governed by a mayor and five councillors. The administrator oversees the daily operations. Council meetings, open to the public, are held on the first and third Wednesday of each month. The town's current population is 869.

William Gerrard Dow Family, 1849-

  • PA 464
  • Famille
  • 1849-

William Gerrard Dow was born on September 21, 1849 in Whitby, Ontario to John and Catherine Isabella (Ball) Dow. He served in the militia during the Fenian Raids around 1865 and then travelled west with Colonel Stoughton Dennis in 1869 as part of the surveying party at Red River. Dow farmed at Whitby until around 1889, when he moved near Portage La Prairie, Manitoba to take up farming. In 1903, he moved to the Ruddell, North-West Territories (now known as Saskatchewan) district, where he farmed until his death on January 8, 1937.

William Dow married Annie McAllan on September 24, 1873 in Whitby. William and Annie Dow had six children: Isabella; Marion; Margaret; Annie; John and James. Isabella Dow, born on June 15, 1875, died in 1948. Marion Kathleen, born on February 23, 1877, was a teacher and married Thomas Pain, with whom she had three children: Harold, Thomas and Arthur. Marion died in 1960. Margaret Josephine, born on September 17, 1878, was a teacher and married Carney Ferry, with whom she had two children: Marion and William. Margaret Josephine died in 1922. Annie Jardine, born on March 23, 1880, died on December 10, 1974. James, born on March 15, 1882, is believed to have died in infancy.

John Dow was born on March 15, 1882. Around 1904, he homesteaded in the Ruddell, Saskatchewan district. He served in World War I and married Marjorie Rake in 1918 while overseas. The Dows returned to the Ruddell district in 1919 and resided on the farm until 1928, when they moved to Saskatoon. The Dows had four children: Herbert J. (born 1920); Nora; David and Margaret. John Dow died in September 1969 and Marjorie Dow died on December 30, 1974. Herbert Dow worked in the insurance and financial management industries in Regina until the mid 1990s, when he and his wife, Frances, moved to Saskatoon. Herbert J. Dow currently (2010) continues to reside in Saskatoon.

McLeod, Malcolm Roderick Marshall, 1880-1968

  • PA 467
  • Individual
  • 1880-1968

Malcolm Roderick Marshall McLeod was born in England on August 26, 1880. He was commissioned as a lieutenant in the Imperial Army in 1899 and fought in the Boer War. After resigning his commission in 1908, he immigrated to Canada and homesteaded in Saskatchewan. Around 1912, he moved to the Marcelin district, where he farmed. In 1914, McLeod rejoined his regiment and served in the First World War. In 1919, he returned to his farm and resided there until his retirement in 1958. He resided in Fort Qu'Appelle until his death on June 25, 1968.

McLeod and his wife, Elizabeth, were married in Winnipeg, Manitoba in 1921. The McLeods had seven children: Roderick; Doreen; Derrill; Valerie; Ian; Gordon; and Keith.

Résultats 61 à 70 sur 6931