- LGA 28
- Local Government
The Village of Liberty is an urban municipality incorporated on January 23, 1912 under the provisions of The Village Act. The village is governed by an elected council that can hire staff to manage daily administration and maintain municipal services, such as roads, utilities and recreation facilities. The responsibilities of the council include enforcing bylaws; waste collection/landfill; fire protection; maintaining public utilities, roads and streets; issuing tax and assessment notices and collecting taxes and other fees.
The Village of Liberty is located on section 21, township 25, range 25, west of the second meridian in central Saskatchewan, 105 kilometres north of the City of Moose Jaw. Liberty is located on Highway 2 between Imperial and Penzance. It is situated in Big Arm Rural Municipality No. 251. It is believed that the name of the village was selected by a Canadian Pacific Railway surveyor in recognition of settler B.A. (Ben) Wolff, who was originally from Liberty, New York, and who had exhibited great hospitality toward the survey crew during the winter of 1906-1907.
The first village office was built in October, 1913 and served for many years as a pump house, fire hall, jail and council chambers. In 1978, the former Masonic Temple building was converted into the new village office.
The Village of Liberty has a current (2006) population of 94. Liberty's municipal officials currently include a mayor, two councillors, and an administrator, who prior to 1985 was known as the secretary-treasurer.