Mostrando 7863 resultados

Registro de autoridad

Anderson, Palma, 1931-1994

  • PA 319
  • Persona
  • 1931-1994

Palma Annette Anderson was born on October 15, 1931 near Bulyea, Saskatchewan to Olaf and Caroline Anderson. She attended the Provincial Normal School at Moose Jaw in 1949 and 1950, and later earned a Bachelor's degree in Education from the University of Saskatchewan. Anderson taught at Saskatoon, Moose Jaw and Regina during her career that spanned twenty-three years.

Palma Anderson was actively involved in issues related to women's rights. In the 1970s, she joined the Regina Status of Women and soon became its president. Throughout the 1980s, she was president of the Saskatchewan Action Committee, Status of Women (SAC) which lobbied for improvements to minimum wage, pension reform, child care, and women's health rights. From 1986 to 1988, she was the Saskatchewan representative on the executive of the National Action Committee on the Status of Women, serving on a variety of sub-committees. Anderson was a founding member of the Saskatchewan Battered Women's Advocacy Network.

As a member of the Regina Public School Teachers Association, she lobbied on such issues as professional development, affirmative action, sexual harassment, maternity leave, and pensions.

Upon her retirement from teaching, Palma Anderson addressed issues of seniors' education and welfare through her activities in the Regina Council on Aging, the Saskatchewan Senior Citizens Provincial Council, the Saskatchewan Seniors Mechanism, and the Regina Chapter of the Superannuated Teachers of Saskatchewan.

Anderson volunteered for the New Democratic Party on various committees and election campaign teams at the provincial and federal levels. She also briefly volunteered with the Canadian Red Cross Society.

Anderson received the John Stratychuk Memorial Award from the Saskatchewan Human Rights Association and the Soroptimist International of Regina 1988 Woman of Distinction Award in recognition of her outstanding contributions in the field of human rights. She was also honoured with the Regina Y.W.C.A. Award of Merit for her community involvement, and a Vital Link award from the City of Regina in 1993 for her work with the Regina Council on Aging.

Palma Anderson married Dave Treherne in the 1950s; they divorced in the late 1970s. They had three children: Kathy, Karen and Chris. Palma Anderson died in Regina on September 26, 1994.

Saskatchewan Publishers Group, 1988-

  • PA 307
  • Entidad colectiva
  • 1988-

Professional publishers in Saskatchewan organized informally in the early 1980s as a mechanism to collaborate on promotional activities. This collaboration appears to have been ad hoc in nature involving occasional association with the Prairie Publishers Group which represented publishers from the three prairie provinces. The first step toward the formation of the Saskatchewan Publishers Group appears to have taken place in March, 1986 with the opening of a bank account in the Group's name.

Professional publishers in Saskatchewan organized informally in the early 1980s as a mechanism to collaborate on promotional activities. This collaboration appears to have been ad hoc in nature involving occasional association with the Prairie Publishers Group which represented publishers from the three prairie provinces. The first step toward the formation of the Saskatchewan Publishers Group appears to have taken place in March, 1986 with the opening of a bank account in the Group's name.

Programs and projects of the Saskatchewan Publishers Group have included Prairie Books from Home, the launch of Prairie Books Now, outreach projects and a travelling book display. The Saskatchewan Publishers Group has also assisted in the development of the Saskatchewan Book Awards and the Prairie Festival of Books in the early 1990s and in lobbying against the provincial government's proposed tax on reading materials in 1991.

Past Executive Directors and Co-Executive Directors of the Saskatchewan Publishers Group have been Archie Crail (1990), Heather Wood (1990-1993), Barbara Kahan (1992-1996), and Rachael Van Fossen (1996-1998).
Currently (2005) the Executive Director of the Saskatchewan Publishers Group is Brenda Niskala, who has held the position since 1993. The Saskatchewan Publishers Group has fifteen full members, eight associate members, and thirty-four supporting members.

Hardy, Neal, 1934-

  • PA 331
  • Persona
  • 1934-

Neal Herbert Hardy was born in on September 21, 1934 in Hudson Bay, Saskatchewan to George and Clara Robinson. He received his primary and secondary education in Hudson Bay. Hardy worked for the Canadian National Railway as a yardman, yardmaster and foreman from 1953 to 1970. He also owned and operated a farm and several businesses, including a tire shop, hardware store, service stations and a grocery store. From 1976 to 1982, he was the Reeve of the Rural Municipality of Hudson Bay No. 394. Hardy was also President of the Hudson Bay Chamber of Commerce, Chairman of the Hudson Bay Rural Development Corporation, and a member of the Elks Lodge.

Hardy was first elected to the Saskatchewan Legislature on November 26, 1980 and served as a Progressive Conservative MLA for the Kelsey-Tisdale constituency until 1991. Hardy served in the Grant Devine Government as Minister of the Environment (1982-1985); Minister of Parks and Renewable Resources (1983); Minister of Co-operation and Co-operative Development (1985-1986) and Minister of Rural Development (1985-1991).

Hardy was also Minister Responsible for Saskatchewan Housing Corporation (1982-1989); Saskatchewan Forest Products Corporation (1982-1985); Saskatchewan Water Supply Board (1982-1983); Water Appeal Board (1984-1985); Board of Examiners (1985-1991); Municipal Employees Superannuation Commission (1985-1987); Saskatchewan Water Corporation (1986-1991); Legislative Review Committee (1986-1989); Saskatchewan Crop Insurance Corporation (1986-1991); Saskatchewan Lands Appeal Board (1988-1991) and Order in Council Review Committee (1989-1991).

Hardy lost his seat in the 1991 provincial general election to Andy Renaud (NDP). In 1995, Hardy returned to the Hudson Bay Rural Municipality No. 394 as a councillor and served as Vice-President of the Saskatchewan Association of Rural Municipalities (SARM) from 1995 to 2002.

Hardy currently (2006) resides in Hudson Bay. He is President of SARM and continues to serve as councillor for Hudson Bay R.M.

Neal Hardy married Darlene Rose Lundy on December 19, 1954. They have four children: Mervin, Lynda, Donald, and Donna.

STC Inquiry, 1990

  • LGA 25
  • Public Inquiry
  • 1990

The Commission of Inquiry into the Saskatchewan Transportation Company (STC) was ordered by Gary Lane, Minister of Saskatchewan Justice, on March 20, 1990 pursuant to the Public Inquiries Act and Order-in-Council 267/90. The Honorable Russell L. Brownridge, former Justice of the Saskatchewan Court of Queen's Bench and Court of Appeal, was appointed Commissioner on March 20, 1990. Gary Semenchuck was named Inquiry counsel.

The original mandate of the STC Inquiry was to inquire into and report on allegations that officers of STC obtained money improperly in connection with the purchase of motor coaches by STC from Eagle Bus Manufacturing Inc; to examine allegations that money obtained from the purchase of motor coaches by STC from Eagle was to be used for political purposes in Canada; to examine purchasing practices at STC, particularly with Eagle; and to examine accounting methods used by STC, with emphasis on transactions with Eagle.

On July 20, 1990, the Inquiry's mandate was expanded to include an examination of management systems and procedures at STC with particular reference to major expenditures for construction or renovation of facilities, expenses incurred by senior management and the use of corporate credit cards by senior management.

Public hearings were scheduled to begin on September 10, 1990 in Regina, Saskatchewan but were adjourned when lawyers for former STC president Donald Castle and STC vice-president Darrell Lowry launched a court action challenging the jurisdiction of the Inquiry in August. On September 15, 1990, Court of Queen's Bench Justice William Matheson quashed the Inquiry, declaring it unconstitutional.

Although Justice Minister Lane said the Province would likely appeal the decision, an appeal was not filed and the STC Inquiry never resumed activity.

Regina Boat Club, 1907-1962

  • PA 335
  • Entidad colectiva
  • 1907-1962

The Regina Boat Club was established in 1907 in Regina, Saskatchewan as a private boating and yachting club for men. The first meeting was held on June 15, 1907 at City Hall. Charles E. Wood chaired the meeting and A.C. Barrett served as secretary. On June 20, a second meeting was held to determine entrance fees, membership dues, and classes of membership. Club officers were selected, including two patrons (the Lieutenant Governor and Premier of Saskatchewan); a honourary president (F.W.G. Haultain); a president (Charles E. Wood); a vice-president (J.A. Wetmore); a secretary-treasurer (F.G. Wheat); and a committee of five. The committee was responsible for the general management of the Club's social and financial affairs and for enforcing the by-laws and house rules.

Initial plans for a boathouse and clubhouse were drawn up by E.N. Storey, a Regina architect. In 1908, the City of Regina funded the construction of a diving platform and the driving of piles to support a clubhouse. In 1909, a clubhouse was built on the north side of Wascana Lake.

By 1910, membership in the Regina Boat Club had grown to 186 and rowing had been introduced. The Club held its first annual Dominion Day Regatta on July 1, 1910. Events included canoe races, four-oared shells, motor boat races, skiff races, ladies' sculling, swimming, diving and lifesaving competitions.

On June 30, 1912, a tornado (the Regina Cyclone) destroyed the clubhouse and the majority of the Club's equipment. After this disaster, the clubhouse was rebuilt on the southeast corner of Wascana Park and a boathouse was built. The Regina Boat Club was incorporated on August 23, 1912 whereupon it became a general aquatic club.

During the First World War, the Club lost many members but strived to remain active. Following the War, the Club tried to expand its appeal by purchasing workboats and four-oared shells to supplement its existing canoes and sailboats.

In 1924, the Club began to allow women's rowing. From 1931 to 1932, the Club's activities were interrupted when Wascana Lake was drained in August 1930 for the construction of the Albert Street Bridge and Willow and Goose Islands. The Club re-commenced activity in 1933 with more than 200 members and saw the publication of its first official newsletter, The Water Log.

The Club was inactive during the Second World War as most of its male members had enlisted for service. In 1947, the Club moved into a new two-storey clubhouse on Willow Island made from surplus army huts. In 1949, the Regina Boat Club hosted its first North Western International Rowing Association Regatta at Regina Beach. The Club experienced continued growth throughout the 1950s, reaching its largest membership of more than 400 in 1959.

In 1962, the Regina Boat Club disbanded after weed-growth prevented the operation of boats on Wascana Lake. The Club's home on the north island was ceded to the Wascana Centre Authority for development and was demolished in 1964. In August 1971, the Wascana Centre Authority erected a stone cairn commemorating the Regina Boat Club near the original clubhouse location on the north shore of Wascana Lake.

In 1974 the Regina Boat Club was reorganized into the Regina Rowing Club in anticipation of the 1975 Western Canada Summer Games, held in Regina.

Freemasons. N.W.M.P. Lodge No. 11 (Regina, Sk.), 1894-

  • PA 302
  • Entidad colectiva
  • 1894-

Wascana Lodge No. 2 of Ancient, Free and Accepted Masons, a fraternal organization, was in existence in Regina, North-West Territories. In 1894, officers of the North-West Mounted Police (N.W.M.P.) that were members of Wascana Lodge No. 2 met to discuss the formation of a Masonic Lodge strictly for N.W.M.P. members on July 6, 1894. By October 1, 1894, N.W.M.P. Lodge No. 61 was instituted in Regina with Bro. Robert Belcher as its first Worshipful Master. A Lodge room was organized and furnished on the N.W.M.P. barracks. The N.W.M.P. Lodge No. 61 received its Charter on September 5, 1895.

With membership solely drawn from officers of the N.W.M.P., Lodge support and activity fluctuated with officers' calls of duty. Membership in the Lodge grew steadily until 1897 when officers were called away for patrol duty in the bustling Klondike region. The Boer War also called members away from the Lodge to serve in South Africa. Membership numbers gradually rebounded for a brief period between 1901 and 1903 before members were again posted away from Regina to patrol the vast prairie during the pioneer settlement. The dispersal of officers involved in the Lodge was so significant that activity in the Lodge was dormant from March 1904 until April 1906.

A motion was passed at a Lodge meeting of April 27, 1906 to surrender the Charter and disburse Lodge furniture and monies, putting the Lodge in jeopardy of folding completely; however, this motion was cancelled at the May 16, 1906 meeting. On August 9, 1906, N.W.M.P. Lodge No. 11 was initiated and chartered. The newly renamed Lodge moved from the N.W.M.P. barracks to the Masonic Lodge on Scarth Street and began accepting civilian members. Soon, membership grew from sixteen to fifty members. Worshipful Brother E.J. Wright was elected the Lodge's first civilian Worshipful Master in 1907.

N.W.M.P. Lodge No. 11, along with the other five Masonic Lodges in Regina, proposed the construction of a new Masonic Temple in 1923. The architect for the new Temple was Frank H. Portnall, a member of N.W.M.P. Lodge No. 11. The first meeting held by N.W.M.P. Lodge No. 11 in the new Temple was on November 16, 1926.

Special events organized by N.W.M.P. Lodge No. 11 include “Police Night” first organized by Worshipful Master Bro. R.A. Tate in 1928. This event became an annual tradition for the Lodge, as did annual “Father and Son” evenings. Celebrations were held to mark the Lodge's 50th and 100th anniversaries in 1944 and 1994, respectively. As well, the Lodge has marked important milestones in the history of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police.

In 1959, Regina Lodge No. 211 was formed from members of N.W.M.P. Lodge No. 11. Regina Lodge No. 211 existed until 1995 when it amalgamated back with N.W.M.P. Lodge No. 11.

N.W.M.P. Lodge No. 11 continues (2005) to hold meetings on the third Tuesday of each month at the Masonic Temple, 1930 Lorne Street, Regina.

Campbell, E. M. (Ted), 1909-1994

  • PA 364
  • Persona
  • 1909-1994

Edward McAlpine Campbell was born on January 15, 1909 in Tessier, Saskatchewan. He earned a Bachelor of Science degree in Agriculture from the University of Saskatchewan in 1940.

Campbell worked for the provincial Department of Agriculture in Regina for 31 years, first as assistant poultry commissioner (1943-1958) and later as poultry commissioner (1958-1974). He retired in 1974. During his career, Campbell was involved in various agricultural organizations, including the Saskatchewan Poultry Association, the Saskatchewan Turkey Association, the Saskatchewan Poultry Board, the Agricultural Institute of Canada, and the Saskatchewan Institute of Agrology. He was inducted into the Saskatchewan Agricultural Hall of Fame in Saskatoon in 1973.
Campbell died in Victoria, British Columbia, on July 18, 1994.

Rural Municipality of Lomond No. 37, 1911-

  • LGA 27
  • Local Government
  • 1911-

The Rural Municipality of Lomond No. 37 is a rural municipality (RM) in Saskatchewan incorporated on December 11, 1911 under The Rural Municipality Act (S.S. 1908-09, c.6). The R.M. of Lomond, located just south of the City of Weyburn, encompasses the Village of Goodwater and the Hamlet of Colgate. It serves the area located in ranges 12 to 16, west of the second meridian, townships 3 to 7. The municipality was named after Loch Lomond in Scotland.

The municipal office is located in Goodwater. The municipality is currently (2009) administered by a reeve, six councilors and an administrator, previously known as the secretary-treasurer. Their responsibilities include passing by-laws, collecting taxes, and maintaining roads and cemeteries.

Mulaire, Raymond E., 1941-

  • PA 365
  • Persona
  • 1941-

Born and raised in Manitoba, Raymond E. Mulaire's primary and secondary education was followed by his participation in several business-training courses. From 1967 to 1968, he took the correspondence certificate course Basic Principles and Practices of Systems and Procedures that was offered the Systems and Procedures Association, Ottawa-St. Lawrence Valley Area Council. He then took Hospital Supervisory Management between 1968 and 1969 through the Manitoba Hospital Association in cooperation with the University of Winnipeg. He continued to pursue educational opportunities such as Industrial Management and Administration from the Canadian Institute of Management in cooperation with the University of Manitoba, Department of Management Studies (1971 to 1975); Health Care Organization and Management from the Canadian Hospitals Association (1975 to 1977); and Long Term Care Organization and Management from the Canadian Hospital Association (1980-1982). Between 1988 and 1989, Mulaire completed a Graduate of Administration diploma from Canadian School of Management and in 1990, he received a Bachelor of Health Administration degree from Hawthorne University in West Jordon, Utah. Mulaire also completed programs offered by the Canadian College of Health Services Executives (now known as the Canadian College of Health Leaders), enabling him to receive the designations CHE (Certified Health Executive) (1988) and FCCHE (Fellow of the Canadian College of Health Services Executive) (1993).

After working as an apprentice printer and a press operator between 1960 and 1962, Mulaire began his work in the health care industry in 1962 as a printing room attendant at St-Boniface Hospital in Winnipeg. He continued at St-Boniface for several years serving in various capacities including Print and Forms Control Supervisor, Director of Work Study, Administrative Assistant - Finance, Budget Officer, Financial Coordinator (Nursing Services) and Planning Coordinator (School of Nursing). In July 1979, Mulaire was hired as Executive Director of St. Joseph's Hospital/Foyer d'Youville in Gravelbourg, Saskatchewan becoming the first lay administrator at the Hospital. After guiding St. Joseph's Hospital/Foyer d'Youville through the construction of a new facility, Mulaire resigned from the hospital in February 1997 to become Chief Executive Officer of Providence Place for Holistic Care in Moose Jaw. He remained in this position until his retirement in the fall of 2006.

Mulaire was involved with many committees and community organizations, including: the Notre Dame de l'Assomption Parish Council in Gravelbourg (1979-1985, Institutional Representative/Secretary); the Wood River Home Care District No. 5 Inc. board of directors (1979-1985, Board Chairperson and Director); the Planning and Construction Committee of the Gravelbourg French Cultural Centre (1983-1986, Member); Gravelbourg Bon Ami Inc. board of directors (1984-1989, Board Chairperson); Saskatchewan Association of Rehabilitative Centres board (1986 to 1989, Director); Senior Management Council of the Moose Jaw-Thunder Creek Health District (1997-2002, Member); Saskatchewan Catholic Health Corporation (1998-2002, Director); Radville Marian Health Centre Board (1998-2002, Director and SCHC Representative); and Senior Management Council of the File Hills Health Region (2003-2006, Member). He was also active with the Catholic Health Association of Saskatchewan where, in addition to serving on various planning committees and task forces, he served on the board as a director and Vice-President in 1991-1992, President from 1992 to 1994 and as Past-President in 1994-1995. Nationally, Mulaire participated in organization such as the Catholic Association of Canada as part of the National Working Committee/Sub-Group (2003) and the Governance Review Task Force (2003). As well, Mulaire lectured and spoke at conferences, published reports and consulted with media outlets on issues related to health care, bilingualism, and education. Since 1980 he has also been active in the Knights of Columbus.

In recognition of his professional and personal accomplishments, Mulaire received several awards and honours. These included: a certificate of recognition from Scouts Canada (1984); a recognition plaque from Gravelbourg Bon Ami Inc. (1990); a 50th anniversary certificate of recognition (1993); a certificate of appreciation from the Catholic Health Association of Saskatchewan (1995;, and a certificate of appreciation from the Radville Marian Health Centre (2000).

Mulaire and his wife Jeannette had three children - Patrick, Rossel, and Carole. The Mulaires currently (2011) reside in Winnipeg, Manitoba.

Ford, Frank, 1873-1965

  • PA 350
  • Persona
  • 1873-1965

Frank C. Ford was born in Toronto, Ontario, on March 4, 1873 to James Ford and Catherine Poole. He received his early education in Ontario and earned Bachelor and Doctor of Civil Law degrees from Trinity University. He was admitted to Osgoode Hall Law School in 1890 and articled with Read, Read and McKnight. Ford was called to the Ontario bar in 1895.

Ford served as the Private Secretary to D'Alton McCarthy from 1893 to 1897, when he became a partner with the firm Denton, Dods and Ford. In 1898, he became Private Secretary and Solicitor to the Honourable Arthur Sturgis Hardy (Premier and Attorney General of Ontario) and for the Honourable J.M. Gibson (Attorney General of Ontario). Ford served as a Captain in the Canadian Militia on the reserve of the 20th Regiment (the Lorne Rifles) in the County of Halton. In 1900, Ford became the Solicitor to the Treasury and remained at that post until 1904.

Frank Ford moved to Western Canada in 1904. He accepted the command of the 95th Regiment shortly after its formation in July 1905. As Major, he was responsible for enlisting commissioned and non-commissioned officers and private soldiers for the newly formed regiment. Ford was promoted to the rank of Lieutenant Colonel on October 7, 1908 and retained command of the regiment until March 10, 1911.

Ford was admitted to the Bar of the Northwest Territories and served as Deputy Attorney General for Saskatchewan from 1906 to 1910. He later moved to Edmonton, Alberta to practice law with the firm of Emery, Newell, Ford, Bolton and Mount. He remained with the firm until his appointment to the Supreme Court of Alberta, Trial Division on May 3, 1926. On November 3, 1936, he was appointed a justice of the Appellate Division of the Supreme Court of Alberta. He retired from the bench in 1954 and died in Edmonton on March 21, 1965.

Ford served as Chancellor of the Edmonton Diocese of the Anglican Church of Canada from 1913 to 1943, and was Chancellor of the University of Alberta from 1941 to 1946.

Ford was appointed a King's Counsel in Saskatchewan (1907), Ontario (1910) and Alberta (1913).

Frank Ford married Nora Elizabeth Sampson in Toronto on June 28, 1899. They had four children. Nora Ford died in 1920 and Frank Ford married Jane Duff Kerr on July 30, 1923.

Resultados 61 a 70 de 7863