Showing 179 results

Authority record
Local Government

Rural Municipality of Prairie Rose No. 309, 1910-

  • LGA 70
  • Local Government
  • 1910-

The Rural Municipality of Prairie Rose No. 309 of Saskatchewan was incorporated on December 12, 1910 pursuant to the Rural Municipalities Act (S.S. 1908-09, c.6). The first reeve elected was E. G. Fisher. The first councilors were R. Copeland, William Smalley, J. Langelle, George Postier, Fred Ceal, and William Davidson. The first secretary-treasurer was Robert Graham. The municipality, located southeast of Saskatoon, encompasses the village of Jansen and the hamlet of Esk. It serves the area located in ranges 19, 20 and 21, townships 31, 32, and 33, west of the second meridian. It was named by Mr. Jansen after the roses that grew in the area.

The municipal office is located in Jansen. The municipality is currently (2009) administered by a reeve, six councilors and an administrator, previously known as the secretary-treasurer. Their responsibilities include passing by-laws, maintaining cemeteries, collecting taxes, assisting in maintaining hospitals and roads and preventing cruelty to animals. The Council meets once per month.

The population in the rural municipality has declined over time. In 1910, there were 452 residents. The population as of 2009 is 292.

Mayflower School District No. 866, 1903-1970

  • LGA 71
  • Local Government
  • 1903-1970

In 1902, ratepayers in the Alameda district petitioned the Council of Public Instruction of the North-West Territories for the formation of a school district. The application was rejected due to too few children to receive the grant. In 1903, another meeting was held and another petition submitted. This application was approved.

Mayflower School District No. 866 was established on July 4, 1903. The school was built at 4-3-W2 in Alameda Rural Municipality No. 3, near Oxbow. The responsibilities of the district board included selecting and acquiring a school site; contracting the building of the school; furnishing and maintaining the school, school grounds, buildings, and equipment; engaging qualified teachers; providing books, globes, maps and other supplies to students and teachers; administering grants; settling disputes; and maintaining school records and accounts.

The school district became part of the Oxbow School Unit No. 1, June 14, 1945. It was disorganized and consolidated into the Alameda Town School District No. 330 on October 20, 1970.

Strasbourg (Sask.), 1907-

  • LGA 72
  • Local Government
  • 1907-

The Town of Strasbourg is an urban municipality in southern Saskatchewan incorporated on July 1, 1907 under the provisions of The Municipal Amendment Ordinance of 1901. The town is located east of Last Mountain Lake and approximately 75 kilometres from Regina. The town's name was originally Strassburg until the spelling was changed to its current format in 1919. The town is located in the Rural Municipality of McKillop No. 220 and serves as the administrative centre of the rural municipality.

The town is governed by a council consisting of a mayor and councillors, each elected for a three year term. The goals of the council are to provide good government; provide necessary services and facilities for all or part of the municipality; develop and maintain a safe and viable community; and foster economic, social and environmental well-being. The council holds jurisdiction over police and fire protection; water and sewer utilities; parks and recreation and waste management.

The council makes decisions and exercises its power through the passage of resolutions and by-laws. By-laws enforced by council include those relating to building; wild and domestic animals; nuisances; transport and transportation systems; streets and roads; businesses and business activities; signs and zoning. Council is also responsible for the collection of revenues; issuing tax and assessment notices; administration of the operating and capital budgets and preparation of annual financial statements.

The Town of Strasbourg is currently (2010) governed by a mayor and six councillors. An administrator (previously known as the town clerk) oversees the day to day operations of the town; advises on policy and ensures council policies are carried out. Council meets every second Wednesday of the month. The town's current population is 732.

Ituna (Sask.), 1910-1961

  • LGA 75
  • Local Government
  • 1910-1961

The Village of Ituna was an urban municipality in east central Saskatchewan. It was incorporated on May 30, 1910 in accordance with The Village Act. The village was located 55 kilometres north west of Melville and was situated on three provincial highways (nos. 15, 52 and 310) and the Canadian National Railways mainline between Winnipeg, Manitoba and Saskatoon. The name of the village was believed to be chosen by engineers of the Grand Trunk Pacific Railway. The village was located in the Rural Municipality of Ituna Bon Accord No. 246 and served as the administrative centre of the rural municipality.

The village was governed by an elected council consisting of an overseer (later known as mayor) and councillors. The council was responsible for enforcing by-laws; waste collection and landfill; fire protection; issuing tax and assessment notices; maintaining public utilities, roads and streets and collecting taxes and other fees. The council hired staff to manage the daily administration and maintain municipal services, such as roads, utilities and recreational facilities. The secretary-treasurer (later known as the clerk) was responsible for the day to day operations and ensured that council was adhering to policy.

On October 1, 1961, the status of the village was changed when it became the Town of Ituna.

Ituna (Sask.), 1961-

  • LGA 76
  • Local Government
  • 1961-

The Town of Ituna is an urban municipality in east central Saskatchewan. It was incorporated on October 1, 1961 in accordance with The Town Act. The town is located 55 kilometres north west of Melville and is situated on three provincial highways (nos. 15, 52 and 310) and the Canadian National Railways mainline between Winnipeg, Manitoba and Saskatoon. The name of the town is believed to have been chosen by engineers of the Grand Trunk Pacific Railway. The town is located in the Rural Municipality of Ituna Bon Accord No. 246 and serves as the administrative centre of the rural municipality.

The town is governed by a council consisting of a mayor and six councillors, each elected for a three year term. The goals of the council are to provide good government; provide necessary services and facilities for all or part of the municipality; develop and maintain a safe and viable community and foster economic, social and environmental well-being.

The council makes decisions and exercises its power through the passage of resolutions and by-laws. By-laws enforced by council include those relating to building; wild and domestic animals; nuisances; transport and transportation systems; streets and roads; businesses and business activities; signs and zoning. Council is also responsible for the collection of revenues; issuing tax and assessment notices; administering the operating and capital budgets and preparing annual financial statements.

The Town of Ituna is currently (2010) governed by a mayor and six councillors, who meet on the first and third Tuesday of each month. The town is managed by an administrator, who oversees the day to day operations of the town; advises on policy and ensures council policies are carried out. The town also employs an Economic Development co-ordinator.

Silver Creek School District No. 519, 1911-1946

  • LGA 78
  • Local Government
  • 1911-1946

On August 4, 1911, resident ratepayers in the Kamsack, Saskatchewan district met to organize a school district and elect trustees. Nine ratepayers were in favor of the district; none were opposed. A petition for the organization of the district dated October 16, 1911 was sent to the Department of Education. Silver Creek School District No. 519 was erected on November 23, 1911 in accordance with The School Act.

The school district was administered by three trustees, one of whom served as chairman, and a secretary-treasurer. The school officials were responsible for selecting and acquiring a school site; contracting the building of the school; furnishing and maintaining the school, school grounds, buildings, and equipment; engaging qualified teachers; providing books, globes, maps and other supplies to students and teachers; administering grants; settling disputes; and maintaining school records and accounts.

In 1911, the board of trustees borrowed $1200 to build and furnish a school, which was located on SE 28-29-31-W1. On January 31, 1946, the school district joined the Kamsack School Unit No. 35. The school unit assumed all assets and liabilities of the district effective March 1, 1946. The school continued to operate until 1960, when it was closed. The school building was sold and became a private residence.

Rural Municipality of Garry No. 245, 1913-

  • LGA 73
  • Local Government
  • 1913-

The Rural Municipality of Garry No. 245 of Saskatchewan was incorporated on January 1, 1913 pursuant to the Rural Municipalities Act (S.S. 1908-09, c.6). The first municipal officials elected were C. Willis (reeve); J.R. Hart (secretary-treasurer); J. Fyfe, J. Foulds, J. Macuch, G. Quinton, A.B. Simpson, and H. Duguid (councillors). The municipality is located in southeast Saskatchewan and encompasses the area located in ranges 7, 8 and 9, townships 25, 26, and 27, west of the second meridian. The municipal office is located in Jedburgh.

The municipality is currently (2010) governed by an elected council comprised of a reeve and six councillors. All decisions are made by resolution or by-law. Council is assisted by an administrator, who manages the daily operations, and other staff required to maintain municipal services, such as roads, utilities and recreational facilities.

Leslie (Sask.), 1909-2006

  • LGA 74
  • Local Government
  • 1909-2006

The Village of Leslie was an urban municipality in southeastern Saskatchewan. It was incorporated on November 16, 1909 in accordance with The Village Act. The village was located east of the Quill Lakes and was 13 kilometres north west of Foam Lake. Thought to be named after John Leslie, a comptroller for the Canadian Pacific Railway, the village was located in the Rural Municipality of Elfros No. 307.

The village was governed by an elected council consisting of an overseer (later known as mayor) and councillors. The council was responsible for enforcing by-laws; waste collection/landfill; fire protection; issuing tax and assessment notices; maintaining public utilities, roads and streets and collecting taxes and other fees. The council hired staff to manage the daily administration and maintain municipal services, such as roads, utilities and recreational facilities. The secretary-treasurer (later known as the clerk) was responsible for the day to day operations and ensured that council was adhering to policy.

In 2006, the population of the village was approximately 20 people. On July 17, 2006, the Village of Leslie relinquished its status as a village and was dissolved. Administration of the area was taken over by the Rural Municipality of Elfros No. 307.

Rural Municipality of Millington No. 249, 1911-1951

  • LGA 77
  • Local Government
  • 1911-1951

The Rural Municipality of Millington No. 249 was a rural municipality in south central Saskatchewan. It was incorporated on December 11, 1911 in accordance with The Rural Municipality Act. It encompassed the communities of Duval, Semans and Govan and the areas in townships 25 to 27, ranges 19 to 21, west of the second meridian.

The rural municipality was governed by an elected council comprised of a reeve and six councillors. The secretary-treasurer managed the daily operations. The first municipal officials were H.A. Pelle (reeve); George Milne (secretary-treasurer) and Albert McFarlane, Hugh Holmes, John B. Newson, S.Swanson and J. Hunter (councilors).

On December 31, 1951 the Rural Municipality of Millington No. 249 was disorganized and the area was annexed to the adjoining rural municipalities of Last Mountain No. 250; Longlaketon No. 219 and Mount Hope No. 279.

Tate (Sask.), 1909-1961

  • LGA 82
  • Local Government
  • 1909-1961

The Village of Tate was an urban municipality incorporated in 1909, under the provisions of The Village Ordinance. The Village was governed by an elected council that could hire staff to manage daily administration and maintain municipal services, such as roads, utilities and recreation facilities. The responsibilities of the council included enforcing bylaws; waste collection/landfill; fire protection; maintaining public utilities, roads and streets; issuing tax and assessment notices and collecting taxes and other fees.

The Village of Tate was an agricultural-based community located on the north-east corner of Section 36, Township 28, Range 21, west of the second meridian, 13 kilometres northwest of the Village of Semans in central Saskatchewan. The Village was found near Highway 15 between highways 6 and 20 and was located within the Rural Municipality of Mount Hope No. 276. The Village was named after D'Arcy Tate, solicitor for the Grand Trunk Pacific Railway.

The village was disorganized in 1961.

Results 61 to 70 of 179